Boston Marathon 2016

Comments

• Aleik - here's hoping you (and everyone else) has one of those days where it all just clicks.
  • Thanks, I'd love nothing more! I've had this knee problem too long to believe an eyeballs-out effort won't land me in more hot water though. Plus nothing over 6 miles for 6 weeks. Hoping to complete 13 miles this Sunday and have that as last minute revision hah.

Being healthy enough for summer races is the only priority now so must be smart and just swoosh through at an easy tilt...with a mile-by-mile decision on whether or not to catch the sweep bus!

Hope you're all enjoying the taper

• Aleik - many thanks for the Paris good wishes.  Sorry to hear that your injury is not getting any better.

In short, Paris was ok.  I got round in 3:25, e.g. 26 minutes slower than I'd have liked.  But, given I'd not really run for 4 weeks and it was a boiling hot day I'll take it given that I came out the otherside injury free.

The full race report, for anyone interested! can be found half way down this page http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/pandd-spring-marathon-2016/304729-177.html

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Glad I wasn't the only one who found it a bit warm in Paris. I was struggling somewhat from halfway but did generally enjoy it. Beautiful city.

I'm not sure how many of you will be happy to hear they are currently expecting snowstorms in Boston image

I'm not going to start panicking till the weekend is over.

Little Theodor,  re. the family meeting area at Boston - this looks like 2013 when there were just labelled points on the street (although there was a phone station where you could contact people) so it could get chilly and wasn't exactly scenic. You may want to check out Boston common and pick a suitable fair weather place to meet family with an indoor altenative.

• Ha! You had me dashing to read the long range weather forecast Helly. At the moment, it looks like the weather there is going to change the weekend of the race with a temperature range of between 10 and 20 degrees, so getting warmer, at least for now. Thanks for the information re the family meeting area.

Well done on Paris Phil. That's a cracking effort given the way things had gone beforehand and great that you seem to have got through it unscathed. 

• I don't want to run yet another marathon in the heat.  Having said that I'm not keen on SNOW. I'd be super happy with 12C overcast and light breeze.....not too much to ask is it? 

I ran Paris on 2014, Sunnysider Phil. It was toooooo hot then too.

Lists and packing start today. 

It's feeling very real now! 

• Anyone else spending a bit too much time looking at weather forecasts and course routes on YouTube?

Also, can anyone recommend a good pub near the finish line?
  • Nope!  After the heat (and general disaster!) of Paris what will be will be and not looked. I'm guessing (hoping!) 8-9 degrees and hopefully dry?!

Just figured this time next week I'll be in the air... anyone else flying BA out of Heathrow on the 11:30?

• We're off to the Cheers bar after the race.

• Phil - well done on Paris, that's a great effort!

Been fighting something off for weeks and finally succumbed a couple of days ago. Went to GP today as I was up coughing all night and I have a chest infection! image

Trying to stay positive but this could go very wrong.
  • Boo!  My chances of a PB have gone down the toilet.  The forecast for marathon day is 20c - that's too hot for me.  I do well when it's cool....cold even.  I think that I'm going to rethink my goal time as I'm determined to enjoy this experience. 

Hope that you are feeling better Nicole.

• I'm with you there Elizabeth, I really struggle badly in hot weather- would prefer it to be snowing, raining, anything rather than the heat!

Sadly at the moment that's the least of my worries! Still feeling very rough although hoping antibiotics will kick in soon. Also full of cold! I haven't run since last Monday and not sure I'll be able to this week. Not even walking - just feel shivery and dizzy if I wander too far from the couch. So just worried even if I do kick this in time I'm going to be so out of shape. Goal time totally out the window now! Just praying I can still get to that start line image
  • Weather looks good! I prefer the heat. Looks like a good breeze for those who prefer it cooler.

Have heard Sevens is a good dive bar for post marathon drinks. Not far from cheers.

Nicole - hope you get better soon. At least you will be well tapered image
  • Nicole - poor you image   could you adopt a run/walk strategy?  Fingers crossed that the antibiotics kick in soon. 

• Thanks guys!

Elizabeth - not sure this would work for me as I've never walked either in a race or training - think if I walked I'd never get running again! But I guess if it comes to it I'll try anything!

If I do start to feel better I'm not sure when to try a gentle run this week - any ideas anyone? My last run was last Monday. Think it would take a massive leap of faith to go straight into the marathon after 2 weeks of nothing - but obviously don't want to risk a relapse. Am supposed to be doing Boston 5k on Sat morning...
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I'm another who would prefer 12 degrees but I'm not even going to look at the weather till I get out there.

Nicole - only you know your own body but I'm tempted to say don't do anything that would involve any effort apart from testing that you can move around without feeling dizzy etc. You've already got your training in you so you need to concentrate on recovering. Eat like a horse if you can and then do the 5K as your test run.

When do you fly out? 

• Thanks Helly, sounds sensible. I'm flying out Thursday which is quite good as at least I've got 3 days to settle in and can do the expo on Fri when it's least busy.

Am thinking maybe just a short bit of gentle walking - can almost feel my muscles shrinking after a week of almost total inactivity! So hoping things go in the right direction...
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

You would normally be tapering at this time anyway so just get yourself feeling good or at least better.

Anyone wanting to do a fast 5K I would recommend getting forward in your wave, if you want to just enjoy it , just get in your wave and have a big breakfast afterwards..

I'm going out Thursday afternoon / evening (Norwegian airlines). Friday I hope to do a brief trot round Chestnut Hill reservoir before going o the Expo which opens an hour earlier than last year. 

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

How ready is everyone? Weather is looking good for a holiday, maybe not so good for a race.

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Ncole, hope you're starting to feel better.

I'm ignoring weather forecasts, hoping for cool weather, and packed several layers to abandon in the start area, if I don't need them it's not a disasterimage Anyone else on the BA flight 6pm Fri?

• Having survived Paris without making my injury too much worse I did 13 miles at the weekend pain free - though did 6 yesterday and the pain in the front of the leg / ankle is back.  Looks like its going to be a nice easy jog along for me at best.

Just finalising the packing, then I've got work tomorrow before some very brief birthday celebrations early with the family Friday morning before heading off to Heathrow!

From the aspect of the whole trip the weather looks pretty decent though if I were to be racing hard on Monday I'd definately prefer a few degrees cooler!

Nicole - hope you are recovering well.  As long as you can shake the cold/flu off I wouldn't worry too much about 2 weeks off.  I had 4 off before Paris albeit I did manage 3 runs of 4, 6 & 8 miles the week before.  I got round and my only downfall was going too hard in the hope that 4 weeks off handn't taken too much out of me - which it had.  If its just two and you ease off the pace a bit you should hopefully be fine

• Thanks everyone!  Feeling much better in myself but still got quite a chesty cough at times.  Desperate to go running but have forced myself not to in view of the cough - I'd be kicking myself if I set myself back again at this stage.  Ni room for error!  I'm flying out tomorrow - if I feel great I may try a very gentle jog on Friday but will probably wait until the 5k on Sat.  It's not going to make much difference now image

Unfortunately the weather forecast seems to be getting hotter, annoyingly just on the Monday!  I really don't cope too well in the heat - still, I guess freezing cold/rain wouldn't do wonders for my chest either.  Oh well, no point worrying about things we can't change!

Phil - glad you seem to have survived Paris pretty well!

Safe flying everyone.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Not packed but I've still got a couple of hours tomorrow.

If it does turn out sunny on Monday remember you may need a bit of protection as the course is a straightish line and quite exposed (lopsided tan alert).

Nicole - you sound like you're ready fo it. Even if it's not your best run enjoy it - there's a lot of positive energy to be had.

I'm also doing the 5K. Looking forward to some nice food and beer.

Safe journeys everyone.

• Think you're right to not go running just yet Nicole. Glad to read you're beginning to feel better.

Good call on the sun protection helly. It's just starting to look like it's going to be a little too warm on Monday. Typically, the temperature is set to drop quite a bit on Tuesday. Sod's law.

Hope everyone has a good trip.

• Just checking in here for some sanity on what has been one of the craziest days I've had - and apologies copying this from my post in the P&D thread.

Have you all got your ETSA's - not sure if you can check if there are any issues, but...

Everything was going so perfectly up until 6 weeks ago, training all to plan, hitting paces, injury free... Then came 'the niggle' except it wasn't a niggle it stopped me running for 4 weeks. I got round Paris, ok in no where near the time I wanted but I got round. I managed a few runs afterwards, even did 13 at the weekend and all was good until Tuesday when on a run 'the niggle' came back - this time very painful.

No running since then - its getting better and I hope (if I can get there) I'll somehow get round Boston.

If I can get there - yes interesting - went to check in online this morning. BA say I don't have a valid ETSA to enter the states so won't let me check in. Hmm yes I do - I have the authorisation in front of me. BA say nothing they can do, when they do the automated check the response is that I don't yet have an ETSA. They suggested that if I had an ETSA (which I have) I contact Homeland Security so suggest I speak to them to see if the authorisation can be 'refreshed' through the system so when BA do their search it comes up valid. Homeland Security, who also have had me talking to customs and immigration in Boston have said everything is in order at their end, I'm showing as having a valid ETSA, there are no problems "and they look forward to welcoming me into the States!" They advised that as long as I have a printed document (I have) and I can provide the code manually to BA (I have) there is no reason why BA should be seeing that it is invalid. There say there is no reason I can't enter the US.

So, having spent the last 12h15 minutes trying to sort this with hours on the phone to BA and the US I'm off to bed in the stalemate position of US saying welcome, come in, but BA saying sorry, unless we get the 'electronic' confirmation resent through (the clue being "Electronic System for Travel Authorization") my printed confirmation that I have authorization to enter the US is useless and I'm going nowhere.

So, for now, I'm giving up. I'm off to bed. I'm going to wake up travel to the airport and see what happens. I'm hoping (haha!) that they say, very sorry for messing you around, to apologise and as its you're 40th birthday we've stuck up up in First Class. However I rather suspect that I may end up coming home and having birthday cake with the family at tea time... (every cloud!! )

Whoops, sorry for the rant - that was longer than a race report!!

HOPEFULLY... see you in Boston!!

• Oh no Phil, that's just unbelievable! Everything crossed for you tomorrow. Stress like you really didn't need! Take care x

Arrived in Boston and about to retire even though it's only 7.15pm here I'm still on UK time! Hopefully wake up linked into US time zone tomorrow and off to the expo. My special pouch cups never arrived in the UK but the company was super helpful and re-sent them to my Boston hotel! They look ideal for dealing with those pesky paper cups at the water stations image
  • That's horrendous Phil. Your stress levels must be going through the roof. Fingers crossed that there are no problems when you show the document at the airport. Best of luck.
  • Sorry! Just read back and seen what you said about electronic confirmation. Good luck anyway.
  • Phew... it seems I'm going after all. Finally relaxing in terminal 5!