Options

Boston Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Thank goodness Phil!! Safe flight and see you in Boston image
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Sounds horrendous Phil, nothing like last minute stress. No upgrade, I take it? I'm out here now, it's bright and chilly. Off to expo later after a quick job and a large breakfast.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Good to hear you sorted the ESTA issue, I'm pleased I didn't read your note earlier, but now sitting at gate so feeling relaxed! 

• Options

Is everyone now ensconced in Beantown?  What a fabulous city! !  Everyone is so genuinely kind and happy.  I thought that the expo was great....even my husband, who normally hates them, thought that Boston's was interesting!  It could have something to do with the Samuel Adams beer-stand though  ;)

Can't keep up with the forecast, it changes daily.  They are now saying 61F with drizzle late afternoon. Determined to enjoy the experience whatever the weather throws at us. 

• Options

Had a nice run along the Hudson last night before hitting the expo and a bar (where I drank far too much - locals being too hospitable!!)

I enjoyed the expo too.  I think usually I'm either dashing in an out as quick as I can in a lunch break (e.g. London) or I'm away with the wife and family and just want to get it done as quick as possible.  Must have been all of 10 minutes in Paris a couple  of weeks ago.

I took my time strolling around though, had a pic with Meb, did the photo on Runners World cover (which I would NEVER normally do!!) and yes, stopped by the Samual Adams stand a 'few' times!

I'm going back this morning too.  I've followed Matt Fitzgerald for a long time - he talks a lot of sense when it comes to running.  can't miss the opportunity to meet him and get a book signed!

Then - sightseeing I guess.  I haven't even thought about what to go and see whilst I'm here.  Anyone got a idiots guide to Boston link?!

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

If it's not too late

There are some goodish leaflets and  maps at a sort of information table as you exit the expo but still in the building.

• Options
    I seem to some how found myself doing a tour of interesting / cultural bars... cheers bar, the oldest continually open bar in the US I'm now in the bar at the top of the prudential center. Tip... you have to pay to go to the viewing gallery on level 50 but can go to the bar on level 52 for free.... don't even need to get a drink if you don't want just hang around for a bit and admire the view!
  • Options
    From first impressions Boston is going to be a good city to run in. And drink in after!

Baseball and a bit more sightseeing today.

Best of luck everyone
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Good luck all.

• Options

Beat me too it - I had just started writing!

Yep, good luck everyone.  I've loved every minute of being in Boston so far - Not sure I'll go away being a baseball fan but it was great to go to 'a' game/match!  If the race is half as good as the build up it will be fab.

Race hard and be #BostonStrong

• Options

Best of luck to all of you running Boston today, hope it goes well for all of you !

• Options
    How did everyone get on?!!

I thought it was amazing, support even better than London and so beautiful! Unfortunately after just a few miles I was overheating badly and starting to get heatstroke (very shivery etc) and my HR was spiking badly.

Knew then I had to throw pace out the window, spent next 22 miles throwing water over myself at every station and trying to get HR down. Had this awful vision of being pulled out and not finishing & determined to get that medal! I always struggle in the heat but guess my body not right either after illness as it happened so early. Never know how I got to the end but I ran every step - somehow - very slowly but proud I didn't walk up Heartbreak! Got to the end and ended up in the medical tent as I then started shivering uncontrollably & feeling faint- how embarrassing! But so proud & loved it despite the suffer-fest image

4:20:11-my slowest of 4 marathons I'd done! Before illness had been training for a 3:45 but think that was my hardest fought one yet. Would love to return one day!
  • Options
    Hi Nicole,

Bloody well done for sticking it out. It seems that it was a tough day for a lot of people. It was indeed warm and I also think it's a deceptively difficult course.

My quads were killing me on that downhill stretch into Boston but the damage had already been done as I imploded without warning just before 18 miles after going through halfway in 1:33:30 before finishing in 3:28:43. Disappointing but there you go.

Leaving aside my own disappointment, I think it's a special race and the support and noise was amazing. Lost count of the number of people who wished me good luck over the weekend and wanted to say well done to me afterwards. The people of Boston really seem to live and breath their marathon.
  • Options

Hi Nicole and LT. Firstly well done both of you for toughing it out and claiming that 'Major' medal. That's two for you now Nicole, which one next?

I was folowing you both closely on the tracker and can assure you it was a nerve-wracking process. Was concerned when the temperature began to rise, particularly for you Nicole as I know you have suffered in the heat previously. Anyway, was encouraged when both of your 10k splits came up and you both seemed on target. The wait for each split was agonizing.

Once the pace started to drop I became very concerned for both of you. Nicole, it was clear from quite early on that things were not going well. To still have so much of the race to complete, in that heat, recovering from a chest infection, I really felt for you. I've suffered badly from 8 miles out and know how agonizing that felt. LT, your more dramatic pace drop, having been bang on target at halfway was equally worrying. I knew that this indicated a serious problem.

The wait for the splits was now even more harrowing than when you were going well! I fully expected the pace to plummet even further or even the dreaded DNF. For that I apologize. I know you both much better than that and should have known that your guts and determination would see you through to claim that precious medal. And so it proved. Congratulations!

Next year I will be following in your footsteps and I feel already that this is one race where just being there and being a part of it all is just as important as the result. You both now have your own place in the long and unequalled Boston history.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Nicole and LT, well done to both of you for persevering and making it to the finish despite your issues. Nicole, were you in the blue start? if so we must have been pretty close to each other ( I went thro halfway in 1'59 and finished in 4:20:08). I also didn't have a very good run, not really sure why, no injury or illness, probably a combo of not being as fit as i thought (or hoped) I was, and the heat...... Saying that, I realised within the first couple of miles, that i was going to be slow, accepted it, and thoroughly enjoyed the event, it was an amazing atmosphere, not only during the race itself, but in the city for the whole weekend. I'm thinking I might have to go back again and see if I can run it better image, although probably need to get fitter to qualify again!

• Options
    Thanks very much Bob. I thought about you and other folk tracking me when it started to go wrong and wondered what they would be thinking, especially when I crossed those mats which record the splits. I have to say that the implosion I suffered around 18 miles was dramatic as all my energy suddenly drained away from me, there was no gradual slowing down. Never really had that before.

Well done to you to McHilly. Sounds like you made a very good call to slow down and enjoy the race. I can empathise with you not being really sure as to why you didn't have such a good run. I did the miles in training but didn't feel great at times during the taper and struggled a bit on a few easy runs but thought that was usual taper stuff. Like you, I think I'd like to go back and run it better but will have to get my qualifying time back first, so maybe in two years when I'm 50. We'll see.
  • Options

Little Theodor: Thanks and a huge well done to you too! Yes, it was definitely a toughie. The course is a strange one, even now I wouldn't describe any of the hills as very steep - I've been building tougher ones into my training- but I think they are just incredibly grinding. Hardly any of the course is actually flat, and the constant downs, ups, downs, really do take an unexpected toll. Sounds like you were doing so well, how frustrating to hit that wall at 18. Still a fantastic time, although obviously not what you were hoping for! 

McHilly: wow, that's amazing, we must have been so close together and literally finishing within 3 seconds of each other image Looks like I went through halfway in 2:02:48. I was in wave 4 corral 1 (towards the back of the corral). You must have been right there! Sorry that you had a difficult run too but massive congratulations on toughing it out to the end. The heat was very difficult, apparently by the time wave 4 started (11.15am so very late) it was well into the 70s in Hopkinton, so prob around 24/25C. Felt a lot worse though because there was no cloud cover and no shade - the course very exposed. That would be a killer for me at any time of year but particularly when we've been running through the cold winter months and completely unacclimatised! 

Bob: Thanks for your very kind words and your concern - I'm just picturing you now tracking us on the day and watching it unravel from afar! Yes, I was well aware at the time that my splits were going to look like a train wreck to anyone tracking me image First 5k on marathon planned pace and then it all went out the window in the desperate quest to actually finish! Was very aware of hordes of people passing me constantly for miles - the only thing which cheered me up is that I started to take it back in the Newton Hills - simply because nearly everyone around me was walking - although my 'running' must have looked quite ridiculous by then image

What I take from it is that the marathon can never be taken lightly or with any degree of certainty. For me my training had gone so well, so much better than when I ran my BQ in Manchester last year (3:52). I was running more miles and more often, keeping injury at bay, and had finally achieved long desired PBs in 10k and half races. Then 2 weeks out - bam! illness strikes and I had to take the last 2 weeks totally off running. Still suffering right up to race day with streaming cold and congestion - felt constantly dehydrated though I was drinking gallons! Also couldn't carb load properly as my appetite very low - tried to force down what I could!

I ran the Boston 5k on the Saturday at MP but even though it was pretty cold that morning, I was already concerned because my HR was very high and my chest felt very tight, it was a struggle to get enough oxygen in. Then the weather! Even without illness I know I would have had a very difficult race in that heat. And of course, Boston is so variable - it could just as easily have been snowing! In fact, if the marathon had been the day before or after, we would have had it so much easier - but another thing which it's impossible to control. And as McHilly says, sometimes, good or bad runs come seemingly out of nowhere! So although we train so hard for those times, at the end of the day each marathon is its own journey and can't really be measured against another. And despite it all, I just tried to soak up every ounce of the incredible atmosphere and support at Boston. One day, I fully intend to be back and can only hope that this time everything comes together for me - but if not, I'll still feel very happy and privileged to have been able to participate. <

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Well done for gritting it out Nicole. image That experience will probably stand you in better stead than an easy win, you now know that you are capable of more than you thought.

I knew I wasn't going to do very well in that heat, I also spent a lot of time chucking water all over myself which might explain the shiny pink face I have despite sun lotion. Time was just slipping away from me every mile after the first six and I never regained it despite it getting a bit cooler as we approached the city. Eternally grateful to the spectators who gave me numerous oranges and a couple of ice pops which really helped.  Was aiming for 3:45 but ended up with 3:51:12 which won't get me qualifying for next year but enjoyed myself nevertheless.

Everyone mentions the Newton hills but the fact that the rest of the course is by no means flat means it can take it out of you when other circumstances aren't going in your favour. I haven't yet found a race where the support compares to Boston so will be doing my best to return next year.

Little Theodor and McHilly - looking at the results there were a lot of people slower than expected, elites included. Roll on next year, hopefully a bit cooler.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just popping in to say I ran Boston with you!

I was obsessed with the forecast in the week leading up. But not once did I check the Hopkinton forecast! I think we started in the 70s. It was hotter then I had trained in by a lot. I knew by mile 4 my PB attempt was off. So watched my HR carefully, walked to take on water at the stations, and tried to keep it all together. I though the course itself was very challenging. But looking back I liked all the climbing from Newton to Heartbreak. But there was not relief after heartbreak. That was the shock. I think for most, the legs were already shredded from all the down and uphills. So all that freakishly good cheering was just the shot in the arm in the final miles. Incredible support from start finish. I loved high 5ing all the kids along the course!

I ended up finishing in 3:16 and ran about a 2 minute positive split. Had such great training for this one and hoped to go sub3:10 but the heat just took that out of the equation. I live just a few hours drive north of Boston and am qualified already for next year but am not sure if I'll do it again or not. Maybe once was enough. But I suspect the pull will be strong to register next fallimage

Congrats to all and know that I shared your pain and accomplishment!image

• Options

What a BRILLIANT race!! My favourite marathon by far. 

It was, as expected, far too hot for me. By the time I started, at 11:15, the sun was scorching! I tried to keep to pace for the first 5km but I was already slowing. I've run many marathons in heat and ended up hating the experience. I was determined to enjoy Boston so I stopped to take videos, had a kiss with Big Bird, chatted to my family, didn't consult my Garmin and had a thoroughly fabulous time. 

I didn't find Newton Hills challenging and as we scaled the top of Heartbreak I was delighted to receive the sea breeze....it whipped up dust but who cares?  From that point I was able to run properly. 

It was a PW for me but I achieved one goal as I enjoyed every single second of the race. 

The support along the way was humbling and the BAA's organisation of this, the Granddaddy of marathons, was extraordinary!!

• Options

Great stuff everyone.  I've loved reading your write ups.  And I feel exactly the same.  It was my best race and best race experience ever.  My injury played up (again!) and I didn't get the time I'd been hoping / training for but at 3:14 it was 10 minutes quicker than Paris but, more importantly, I loved every single second of it - bar perhaps coming out of that underpass about 41k I didn't need that!

Full report to follow but thought I'd better drop back in whilst I write it!

• Options
    Harder course than I had expected but happy with a new pb of 2.54

Great crowds

Great race
  • Options
    Good to read the various accounts of how everyone got on.

Re the Newton Hills, I had someone who'd ran Boston 6 times sat next to me on the bus and he was saying that it's not the hills themselves but where they are positioned on the course which can make them tricky.

Helly - hard luck on losing your qualifying time. I know how you feel.

VT Runner - was trying for a sub 3:10 like you but you made a much better fist

of it than me. Once again, it seems like so many people didn't get the time they were looking for on Monday.

Phil - well done, especially given the context of your injury problems over the past few months.

Msimpson - terrific run, congratulations on getting a PB and a great time.

Was in Central Park yesterday and did start wondering what it would be like to run the closing miles of NY there....

Hope everyone's legs are recovering.
  • Options

Well done everyone who ran this year!

I'm mulling over running next year. What was the entry process like? I can qualify, so is it just a case of registering in September via the website or do you need to go through one of the tour companies?

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Congrats to Phil and Msimpson on PBs on such a tough day! That's really phenomenal. What a great Boston experience.

LT, NY mara would be a stellar experience too! My Legs are just about ready for a run and I'm happy to be friends with stairs again.

Elizabeth, you did it just right! Good on you.

Andy, I'm in the states so it may be different, but you have to register on a certain day in September. Your registration day depends on how far under the qualifying standard you were. Anyway, so long as your qualifying marathon is in their list, you just plug in your info on the day and then wait to hear back. I think this year you needed to be about 2-3 minutes under the qualifying standard to actually get in.

• Options

Andy - stop mulling and start preparing to enter.  It'll be the best race you do. 

Start planning now and sort things like accomodation way in advance.  I got mine in June, long before I could apply, I could cancel it if I didn't get in but prices go sky high very quickly!

M Simpson - congrats on your PB - tough course and conditions for it!

VT - sadly it wasn't a PB for me.  Whilst faster than Paris, an injury meant not only was it not a PB but both were slower than a race I did last off October off Ironman rather than marathon training before I started my plan.  So no PB, slower than before the training but best race ever.  Sometimes its not about the time!

• Options

Thanks both. I'll get London out the way then start some accommodation research!

• Options
    Defo no need to book with a tour company.

Get ready to register on the baa website when it opens. And book the rest yourself.

I agree with Phil: book your hotel early as it gets expensive. If you use someone like bookings.com they usually have free cancellation period.

Am from the uk so that's how I did it.

It's a must do marathon so well worth applying if you can.

Anyone else running running on Sunday?
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Yep also running on Sunday, original plan was to run hard at Boston and jog London, but with the heat on Monday, I just decided early on to accept a slow run, so legs seems to recover very quickly, and nowhoping to go faster in London.

Andy, agree wth other comments, no need for tour co, I went on my own, the city and all hotels are full of runners, so very easy to meet up and mix in with others

Now done 4 of majors would rank them in order as Boston ( favourite - loved everything about it, apart from my time), London (good atmosphere, great sights, maybe bit congested), Berlin (well organised, fast course, but didn't have the atmosphere or support of others) and NY ( not sure why, nothing wrong with it, just didn't do much for me), thinking of doing Tokyo next year if I can get a place

• Options
    Congratulations to everyone who had the day they were hoping for, commiserations to those who didn't. It was indeed a tough and hot day for it.

My injury flared up at mile 12 so I didn't even make it half way, took a DNF, helpful advice from volunteers, a long wait for the sweep bus and a ride home instead of a finisher's bag and a medal. "The stories people don't hear" haha.

With the injury i've had and knowing it was always going to be borrowed time on the day I've felt cut adrift from my target time, the good vibes and the whole business in general for too long now to have a woe-is-me attitude about it.

Didn't finish, boo boo, whatever, what I can say is that after another 10 days of rest and plenty hip strength work the knee is feeling stronger than ever. Some things are more important and there's no way the travel and money could have justified a painful plod to a shit finish time and an entire summer on the subs bench. Instead I can look forward to some enjoyable training and racing, fingers crossed.

Doubt I'll do Boston again at this stage, too much was out of my control really. Travel, time difference, pre race food, etc. I have taken home the lovely blue and yellow long sleeve tech top and will wear it proudly, even if mainly as a reminder to myself of how important good decisions can be