VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Not so good this week Blythe - I have been on a magical journey of knee pain discovery however.  My usual 'runners knee' aches settled down a few hours after my half marathon on Sunday but I was left with a nasty new pain in the right one at the lower, outer edge of the kneecap.  I saw my physio who thought it was a patellar tendon injury and as this is a bad thing to get,  I got it ultra sounded and my patella tendon is completely normal and looks very healthy which is a big relief.  I did have some swelling likely due to impingement on the fat pad underneath it on its upper outer edge.  A google search and some reading of papers tells me this is not a traditional 'Hoffa's fat pad impingement syndrome' where the fat of the knee joint gets trapped between the femur and the tibia but typical of patella maltracking and this little bit of fat gets stuck between the patella tendon and the femur and gets pinched and sore.

So its told me what I already know - that I have a nasty case of runners knee due to wonky kneecaps that don't move properly!  I probably shouldn't run long distances so if I make it through this marathon it will probably be my last!  I like 13 miles as a distance but 26 is a blooming long way.

So I am resting.  I have not run since Sunday and am icing and taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation.  I am seeing the physic again in 10 days and I will keep at it with the quad and glute exercises and the stretching / foam rolling.  I will speak to him about taping my patella to make it track better.  Assuming it's a quick recovery, I need to work out a programme to resume training.  There is enough wiggle room in the galloway plan that I can have a week or two off and if I don't get to do its longest long run (which is 23-26 miles) that's ok.

I am too old and built incorrectly for this running lark but I do enjoy it so!

• Hang in there! At least you've found Galloway's program which will give you the best chance of completing. 

• Oh Lassie, I completely get the frustration! So sorry to hear this, but you WILL be ok. Ask the physio if you can cross train as I find it helps keep the nerves in check. You know - the ones that keep whispering at the back of your brain...image

I have got up to 10 minutes running now with my 'new' gait; seems to be good actually. It's novel to run without being in pain!

Hugs to you all.
  • Can I join in? I'm a first time London marathoner, and although I did a marathon a few years ago (Krakow 2013) I somehow feel more nervous about London that I did that time. I lived in London a few years ago, and marathon day was one of the highlights of the year - I think it just shows the city at its absolute best and I really don't think anything else comes close.

Like many, my running seems to be interspersed with injury. My first marathon I got injured after a long run of 16 miles, didn't manage any other long runs before the big day, yet somehow got round it. Have faith!

Having said that, I did a 6-miler today and had some unwelcome knee pain. Stopped and stretched after 5 miles and managed to finish after a little walking, but can still feel now that something's not quite right. Trying to do lots of stretching and foam rollering in the hope it'll do some good, and might replace some of the short runs with swimming over the next week or so.

Good luck to everyone else on the thread in their training, keep thinking positively - you can do this image

• Hi Russellelly

It seems knee pain is such an occupational hazard!  I find part of the problem with being a beginner marathoner is knowing what's just a post long-run niggle, and what means stop and rest.  It's difficult.  A friend who did London last year said ' a bit of pain is normal, it's not meant to be easy or everyone would do it' -  he had problems with his achilles.  But I suspect there is a fine line between this and hurting yourself and it's difficult to judge.

Its really reassuring to hear you had problems last time and still made it round in one piece.  How long did you find it took afterwards until you felt 'back to normal'?

But you are right.  Keep channeling the positive thoughts!

• Hi Russell - welcome and lovely you can join us! It's really helpful to learn that you got up to 16 miles and still made it through. I am getting really nervous at not being able to run and with the 16 hours days I'm currently working I'm finding it hard to get to the gym as well.

Back to the physio on Thursday though; please cross EVERYTHING!!

Lassie - agree completely re the niggle versus major pain. Still, I keep thinking we are building up for the future... we WILL get there!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome blithe

Seems like everyone has some injury niggles - I find it's something different every time but normally clears up with a rest day. At the moment I'm running 3 times and playing squash twice in a typical week so only get 2 rest days - normally Sat and Mon with my long run on Sun which works quite well.

I'm not following any specific training plan, but doing roughly 10k twice a week after work where I try to push myself (if I'm not running with other people) and a long run at the weekend where I take it a bit easier and try to build up distance.

I did a half marathon in early November to see where I was even though I hadn't done a lot of training, felt a bit under the weather really the week before and it was fairly hellish as after about 3 miles the inner thigh muscles (adductor?) started really hurting on both legs. I guess I either went off too fast or ran with a funny gait or something as I'd run further than than with no issues. I could hardly walk that evening though! Anyway I took the next week off running (still played squash twice) and it cleared up.

Have built back up since xmas though and last week took 4 mins off my best time for 10k and then did 20k on Sunday along the canal in the snow. Tried to go at an easy pace and found it was quite pleasant really until about the last 20-30 mins when I started getting tired (and had to go uphill to get home). Considering I could hardly walk after doing the 1/2 marathon 2 months ago I was really pleased that I felt fine really yesterday, just a bit stiff but that's expected.

I've also joined a local running club in Watford who do weekly 8 mile runs every Wednesday, will be going on my first one tomorrow so hoping that goes well.

• Hello everyone,

Well done on getting a place by whatever means.

You will find London the best experience ever - respect the distance but enjoy the run. 

Build up slowly and dont be a slave to the various programmes you are following - listen to your body but be determined to to give up easily.

Keep records of every run you do - I prefer paper/spreadsheet rather than the fancy hokey kokey 2000 gadgets with all the knobs on so I can see the progress (or not) over time (call me old fashioned). If you do have to take a week or two off, it is not the end of the world - just remember to go back twice the time taken off from your programme when resuming training.

Set yourself realistic targets and dont try to keep up with others who you don't know - they may be seasoned runners or worse - doing it wrong. Training buddies are great if roughly the same ability.

The London is predominantly flat with very few challenges - just a bit up and downs about mile 2 (Red start) and a bit at about mile 4 (by then Blue and Red have merged). The Highway (both ways) is interesting, a bit at mile 17 and up a little at Westferry Circus - good bit of downhill before mile 19. Only a bit (300m) after mile 24 but by then you can see the London Eye and soon Big Ben around the bend - Birdcage Walk is nice downhill or flat - just enjoy the run in and remember to smile because you have done it.

Feel free to ask anything about the London, it is my favourite.

• Ooops

Build up slowly and dont be a slave to the various programmes you are following - listen to your body but be determined to to give up easily.

should read:

Build up slowly and dont be a slave to the various programmes you are following - listen to your body but be determined NOT to give up easily.

• Midlands Lass - Completely with you on 'injury vs niggle'. At the moment, I seem to have some knee pain for the first 0.5km or so, but it seems to settle down. I also find it much more comfortable to run when consciously making my right foot land on the inside (does that make sense?). Got a 7 mile run on Sunday, first I've done over 10k for over a year.

Blithespirit, hope your physio appointment went well!

Harmander Singh 2 - I'm incredibly excited about the course. Tower Bridge must be a big highlight, as well as the others you mentioned. Last year I spectated around Rotherhithe (south of the river before Tower Bridge - I guess about mile 6 or 7?) and there were a good number of people out supporting even early on.

• That's great advice Harmindar. Thank you. Especially the bit about coming back from injury. I have missed 3 short runs and 1 long run since I got my random 'trapped knee fat injury' (how EMBARRASSING !). I did 30 mins run / walk tonight and it was ok. I was due to do 15 miles this weekend so that's clearly not going to happen. Going to spend the next couple of weeks building back up gently. I have to work all of next weekend so Sunday runs for the next 2 weeks will be conservative.

What did your physio say Blythe? Positive news I hope.
  • Hi guys my names rob im running my first ever marathon in memory of our son we lost at 39 weeks in August , training is going ok. 1x long run , 1x 30 min run and intervals and core and gym classes in the week . Slightly nervous about what I'm about to attempt lol 

• Russellelly, Rotherithe station is just before mile 11, mile 6/7 is Greenwich/Cutty Sark - I know the route quite well now - memorised it even.  

A tip for those living in London, go and run parts of the route beforehand so on the day, what is around the corner does not come as a surprise.

I would suggest starting from Tower Bridge (use Tower Hill station if you do not wish to get a parking ticket) then run up the Highway, Narrow Street onto Westferry Circus (mile 15) all the way towards Mudchute (Manchester Road etc) and past ASDA (mile 17) along Marsh Wall and back to Westferry Circus (elevated section) along North Collaonade and then down the slope towards Poplar High Street (mile 20) and back along Commercial Road turning left onto the Highway but going towards Tower Bridge again where you can run past the Tower of London (mile 23) before getting back to the tube station at Tower Hill.  This will familarise you with the part of the route that is often a psychological hurdle in running away from the finish line.

• Hi Rob. My condolences for your loss. I was inspired to run this year by a friend who ran last year in memory of his daughter to raise money for SANDS. He found the day very emotional but uplifting.

I think nerves are normal. I have them. I don't respect the distance, I am in fear of the distance!
  • My condolences to Rob too.

Midlands Lass, why not love the distance? just remember with each step you are closer to the finish line.

• I think it is because I injured myself the other week - it's knocked my confidence.  I keep having thoughts along the line of 'if 13 miles broke me, how will I do 26'.  Fear of the unknown.  Its such a long way!

I am quite injury prone anyway - it's the way I am built (weird knees) and I am genuinely fearful of causing some real damage if I am not careful.

• I understand, just take it easy is what I did, celebrate every race if not training session - I have just gone past 800 races now but these include Parkruns, 5 milers, 10 milers, half, full and ultras.

In case people wonder why I am on this thread, it is because I want to help people overcome the fear and enjoy their achievements - gives me a buzz in knowing  have helped someone. Guide running is so rewarding too.

• Your advice and support is very welcome.  Being a very slow first timer is daunting and you do begin to wonder if you have taken on too much image

• I am also slow(er) nowadays.

My PBs are:

10000m - 30 minutes 14 seconds (37 years ago)

Half marathon - 1 hour 22 minutes 57 seconds (30 years ago)

Marathon - 3 hours 11 minutes 36 seconds (31 years ago)

My current times are about 40% slower now.

When I cross the finish line on 24 April in just under 4 hours 58 minutes, it will be my 32nd consecutive London Marathon. I will be practicing that pace tomorrow when Irun the Dymchurch Marathon.

• Blimey Harminder - those times/statistics are impressive!

Hello everyone and welcome Rob. So sorry to hear about your son.

Well I am now allowed back to run for 5 minutes in graduating steps. I'm clearly not going to be able to run the whole thing now (sigh) but I am still determined to train and do as much as I can. Apparently it's all about the glutes ladies and gents - all about the glutes and they will support you all the way.

Another hour and a half yesterday cardio and exercises and today 40 minutes easy and exercises. 15 mins run yesterday and 10 mins today but I WILL get there with sheer determination I think!

Hope all of you are keeping on, keeping on...
  • Blythe -  if all else fails and our weak glutes let us down I will join you walking the whole thing if need be.

• Blithespirit - Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've got the right attitude though, chin up and make the most of the situation. Hopefully you can do some sort of run/walk, even if walking is the majority of the time. Doing lots of cardio training will do wonders for your fitness too image

I managed 7 miles this evening, felt like a long way. Doing that almost 4 times in only 13 weeks seems a bit scary right now.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I've been joining the dodgy knee club this week. Have joined a local running club who do 8 miles every Wednesday, went along last week for the first time. Was pleased with my pace, but had been having some mild discomfort in my knee the whole day, it just kind of felt like it needed to click, if you know what I mean. About 6 miles in we were waiting at traffic lights to cross a road so I tried kicking my leg to make it click but that just made it hurt more - the next 5 mins were quite painful but then it settled down.

It still hurt a bit the next day but not as badly, played squash Thurs evening and I could still feel it but was just a dull pain, Friday morning could hardly feel it so went for my normal 10k run Friday evening. Unfortunately it started hurting quite a lot after about 7-8k, so had to walk the rest for fear of doing some damage.

Rested it Saturday and skipped my usual Sunday run, it feels fine again now (it felt fine yesterday but wanted to try and give it a few days rest rather than do some damage with a long run). Might go for a short run tonight just to test it out but fingers crossed it is all better.

• Practiced the pace for only the first of the five laps at Dymchurch Marathon yesterday - target was 57 minutes 39 seconds, did 57 minutes 12 seconds.

Did the next four laps in the company of a chap doing his second of a double marathon but he did manage a PB for the second marathon - we ended up with a time of 5 hours 43 minutes 55 seconds.

By this time in 90 days, we all would =have done the London and showing off the bling. image

• 90 days!! Oh my WORD!!

Back on the treadmill last night folks - did 25 minutes and NO pain! I'm so thrilled - you can tell by the number of exclamation marks..

Glute city it is here I tell you - clam shells, squats, one legged squats - the lot..

The cross training that I did do while I was off with the injury has really helped keep my fitness I think which is a relief. I didn't continue running (although I really, really wanted to) but I could have, and I think that's all I can ask for.

Lass - time to look at a walk run program I think in order to get there, and I'm going to do it even if I have to CRAWL...

;-)

Hope you are all ok. Well done Harmander - you sound so practiced and impressive - I'm bowing to your experience.

Nick - don't push the knee... Lose one day in order to heal and in the long run that's only a day. Believe me, I understand that 'need' to run but I wish I had listened to my hips and realised it was 'real' rather than just a niggle..

Hugs to you all
  • That's great news Blythe. 90 days Eek!

So pleased you are back on the road.

Run-walking is ace and you can Tailor the intervals to how you are feeling that day. I usually stick at 2.15 run to 0.45 walk. Seems to work for me.

I am back at the physio tonight so he can beat up my ITB again.

He says I can keep running as long as I am in no more than 3/10 pain.
  • Sound words Blithespirit . It takes enormous resolve to step back and rest up when injuries appear , there is this fear that you will lose fitness and never get back on track but missing a few sessions doesn't do too much damage whereas pushing through pain often results in a much longer 'angst ridden' lay off .

From experience , cross-  training is definitely the way for keeping you physically and mentally in the game until you can pound the pavements again . Doing nothing will often just lead to self pity and frustration . 

• Thanks Minty - really positive advice.. and Lass - thanks for the cheers!

30 minutes tonight; it is SUCH a relief...
  • Blithespirit, thank you. I am only on this thread to help share my experience with others - it gives me a buzz in doing that - well spotted about my possible experience - you are right, this year will be my 32nd consecutive London Marathon but I am a newcomer to the 100 Marathon Club (since October last year where everyone is amazingly brilliant but humble.

Everyone, unless you are just aiming to finish, your long runs must really be over ten miles by the end of january and you should aim to finish a half marathon in comfort by the end of February - you are lucky we have an extra day this year - lol.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Blithe - that's great that you managed 25 mins without pain. Resting really is the hardest thing.

My knee is up and down - in the end I did do 5k on Monday just to see how it was and had no problem, played squash on Tuesday, then did the 8 mile weekly run on Wednesday with the the running club I've joined - started feeling mild pain in it for the last 2-3 miles but wouldn't have thought of it as anything more than a niggle except that it was in the same area as before. Had stopped hurting by the end though and on the fitness front I felt I could have kept going for a good while longer which was pleasing as it was faster than I normally do my long runs.

As soon as I got out of the shower though it started hurting more though, I can only guess that adrenaline or whatever was masking it before. It wasn't too bad after sleeping on it though and did some exercises with it yesterday, by the time I played squash in the evening I couldn't really feel it and have had no reaction to playing squash which is good.

Unlike last week I'm not going to do my usual Friday run, will try out my local parkrun on Saturday and if there's no reaction from the knee then I'll be back on my normal long run on Sunday. If the parkrun does make it hurt again then I'll have a bit more of an extended break from running, maybe a week or 2.