VLM 2016 - First timers?

1424344454648»

Comments

• I am limping too but the smile is still on my face.

Thank you all for being such amazing partners on this journey and as for thanking me, guys, I just hoped I could bore others about running as well!

So thrilled with all of us.  So amazing that before the race you fuss and worry about the times and then at the end it's just amazing to have completed it.

Thank you all image

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Midlands Lass, I'm so pleased you ran it, and enjoyed it, if thats quite the right word, but a great experience that part of me thinks you might never have had if you'd deferred.

Well Done, and that goes to all of you 1st Timers.

The pain/stiffness soon goes, sooooo....., Never say never again?
  • For those who still feel a bit stiff, add a bit of extra salt to your diet to help ease the stiffness - don't know the science but it works.

Went for a 6 mile recovery run earlier - feel so much better now.

Those embarking on the 52 week training schedule, just repeat each of the 24 week programme I gave - feel free to contact me directly via info@sikhsinthecity.org 

Be happy.

Harmander

• Great to read everyone's stories. I had a bad stomach the night before and was awake from 2:45. Ankle niggles from mile 2, back cramps from mile 6. Okay until mile 16 and then got progressively tougher. Ran from start to finish, 4:58. Happy with that. Last time I ran more than 13 miles was 1981 and six weeks ago I was still injured. Fantastic event, incredible support. 

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Midlands Lass - hate to say it, but the toe thing is fairly normal. Marathon running is not a glamorous activity, is it? Pop the blister with a sterile needle to get rid of the fluid, should help it to heal up quicker. Wait & see what happens with the nail, nothing you can do about it anyway.

• Morning all 

Didn't hit my target of 4 30 but had a great day - set off and did the first 20 bang on target and went through the 20 mile marker at 3 30 - but struggled with cramping up in my calves. Wanted and tried to push through it but really struggled for the last 6 miles and crossed the line in 4 57. Not what I had planned or trained for but happy enough with that time. Congrats to everyone who did it and enjoy the week off image

How many are planning to enter the ballot for next year?

• Morning all, and huge congratulations to everyone that finished!

I had an amazing day, though it started badly as I managed less than hour of sleep the night before and didn't know how I was going to cope. But as soon as I got into my stride I forgot about that completely - the crowds were incredible and just dragged you along. I had a vague hope of managing 4:30 but realised early on that wasn't going to happen and finished in 4:51 which I'm very pleased with. The thing I'm most pleased about was I ran all the way at a constant pace, so although everyone was overtaking me at the start I was passing people constantly for the last 4 miles which was a huge boost. Seeing friends and family on the way was a massive help as well.

On Sunday I said "never again", but I have a feeling I may enter the ballot again next week...

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

NickW - amazing write up - I do love to read them! Not got round to mine yet - it all feels a bit of a blur but am sure there are some facts in my brain that I can rake up from somewhere!

Lass - toenail advice is sound. The blister will pop by itself if you don't do it image - I tend to pop them  after a bath and then have nothin on the foot for the first hour or so afterwards. It heals quicker that way - but the toenail itself will probably come off at some point...

• Morning All.  For those who have joined us today with their success - WELL DONE!!!  Amazing isn't it!!!!!!  Can you believe we did it!!!! WE DID DO IT!!

I felt no pain whatsoever going round and enjoyed every minute of it...but...god do I hurt now ha ha. My legs are so painful. Tried to have a little jog on my dog walk today just to try it - mmmmmmm...... forget it!! No way are those legs running!!!

Brought my medal to work today to show it off - everyone is so pleased for you. Its lovely. Mind you I will suffer later as I sit at a desk all day so not great.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Sicknote - We did!!! what an awesome bunch!

Sitting for any longer than 30 seconds and trying to stand up - its entertaining - for everyone else that is image

• Congratulations everyone!! I still can't believe how amazing those crowds were! My run went exactly as hoped for, which is s small miracle as the training sure didn't. I stationed myself near the 4:45 pacer, hoping to stay ahead of 5hr pacer (Harmanderimage, but was overtaken at my first loo stop. Then Harmander overtook me at my second loo stop! Those queues were a bit of a killer! I also spent a bit too much time chatting with my family/friends at a few places. My splits were fairly even though. I was worried about hitting the wall as I'd only got up to 18 m in training, but I felt better than ever towards the end and picked it up in the last few miles. And thankfully caught up with you Harmander! I finished in 4:54image

I've loved hearing about everyone's training, worries, and experience. Good luck in the ballot for those willing to do it again, and good luck in 2017 for those that deferred!
  • NYmum you sound like me- I kept stopping for a chat! Loo stop was once only at 8 miles and I confess I wasn't going to queue so I ran down a side street and did a quick wee behind a car !!!!image ha ha

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Sick Note2 wrote (see)

...so I ran down a side street and did a quick wee behind a car !!!!image ha ha

Commonly known as "Doing a Paula" image

• Ha ha Sicknote. I wish I'd had the courage! I was soooo jealous when I would see guys just moving to the side and being done with it in seconds. I did manage a squat (now I know also known as 'doing a Paula'. Thanks Kieran) ???? near the start once I got in the female urinals. Was having none of that! I've done several big half marathons/10ks and had never seen such a thing in my life!
  • DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    I just had a flashback to a surreal moment when i was coming down the escalators at Green Park at about 4pm. Out of nowhere about 200 people coming up the other escalator burst into spontaneous applause and cheers. I looked behind me and noone was there. I then realised I had my medal around my neck still and it wad for me. I will never forget that moment.
  • That's so awesome DB7X. What a fantastic moment

My favourite moment was being heckled by a vicar when I was running down the embankment who yelled 'Ruth! You look far too fresh - you should do it again!'

That and discovering from my result stats, that although 90% of the field finished before me, in the last 7.2k, I was passed by 2 people, but passed 760 people!! GET IN!!! 

• My best moments were meeting with you guys/gals at the Expo and during the run.

Am reassured I will be pacing again next year - but don't tell the 2017 First Timers thread as I want to keep it a secret - oh sugar Kieran's on this thread and may read this.

Kieran, let this be our little secret lol

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

I won't tell if you don't image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Blithe, I was just thinking - once you've made your ballot entry on Monday (which you almost certainly will image), you should officially declare this thread closed so we can all move over to the VLM 2017 thread - we could have an official closing ceremony, like at the Olympics imageimage

• DB7 - wonderful!!  How lovely.

I have had some wonderful moments to remember and most of all the ones of people being so pleased for you. I had a guy come up to me and question if I had actually just ran it as I looked so happy and good. Just adrenalin. 

KieranG - I agree - move to VLM 2017 thread. I for one would love to be able to offer the advice which I myself received as it worked 100% and know what I did in training paid off.

• /members/images/769619/Gallery/13094421_10209471314202664_7740177982744606740_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13062414_10209459137298249_4548091779356512422_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13062150_10209459137778261_2941163317928620383_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13103266_10209459137978266_4452489115402875535_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13096204_10209459139138295_2491842793944317178_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13095878_10154079357108788_5037302605527043164_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13062387_10209459138618282_60350838243780616_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13043283_10209459138538280_7763010437362993244_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13051729_1304434362907155_6296918287546056952_n.jpg

/members/images/769619/Gallery/13091950_10209459137338250_1969275931742111041_n.jpg

• Dear all,

Can I make a small request please.

If you found the RW Pacers helful before and during the run on Sunday, could you please share your thoughts with Runners World by email/Twitter etc.

RW would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.

Harmander

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I think I would have found them useful if I'd been starting near them, rather than 4 or 5 pens back. But that's not the pacers' fault obviously! They were nice and visible, even to me who is especially unobservant.

• KieranG wrote (see)

Blithe, I was just thinking - once you've made your ballot entry on Monday (which you almost certainly will image), you should officially declare this thread closed so we can all move over to the VLM 2017 thread - we could have an official closing ceremony, like at the Olympics imageimage

*Rises up from throne*

Dearly beloved.

Having shared our experiences, joys, sorrows and maranoia I now officially declare this thread closed.  I myself have derived an enormous amount of mutual support and happiness from everyone here and would like to thank each and every one of you for your manifest kindnesses and attentions.

But as every hello also has a goodbye so it is that the time for this thread is over.

I now declare this thread shut and would ask those contemplating the madness of the VLM 2017 to cross over to that thread.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/vlm-2017/323155-3.html

The very best of luck to you all.

*sits back down on throne, wipes tear from eye and tucks into a hearty Mcmeal*

• And, because I am ultimately a rebel GREAT PHOTOS SICKNOTE!!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thank you, Your Grace image