VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• 16.47 miles done on the marathon route (in 2:57:55) -with a few others - the Big Mac Meal was so tasty afterwards. lol

• Well done Lass and Harmander! I did a lovely 5 miles across Salisbury plain today stared at by lots of cows and a few walkers. It was SO cold and I fell in the mud too.. It was very slow as I was really worried about spraining my ankle on the clods of earth but I felt utterly exhilarated once I'd finished..

Raised 2000 so far and everyone has got emails saying I've reached my goal but I was hoping to raise more than that.. strange..

I have a half booked in for next Sunday round Richmond park and so will be doing a 7 miler and a 5 this week. So far, the cross training does seem to have worked although there are a couple of niggles..

I also used jelly babies for my 10 miler and that was fun. I much preferred them to the gels but I think I felt more 'energised' by the gels than the jelly babies and carrying 27 jelly babies round the marathon would, I think be ridiculous..

Anyway onwards and upwards - well done everyone!
  • senidM, no my acupuncture wasn't as sophisticated as you've described, it was needles in the sole of the foot. Suffice to say I had one session and decided I would rather live with the PF.

Blithespirit - well done, both on the fundraising and the mileage. The fundraising can be harder than the running, so to have raised so much so quickly is impressive. And 27 jelly babies? I'll be running with 6 gels and a pocket full of jelly beans (damn my Scottish sweet tooth!). There's no such thing as ridiculous, whatever it takes to get you round on the day.

• rodeoflip wrote (see)

senidM, no my acupuncture wasn't as sophisticated as you've described, it was needles in the sole of the foot. Suffice to say I had one session and decided I would rather live with the PF.

Blithespirit - well done, both on the fundraising and the mileage. The fundraising can be harder than the running, so to have raised so much so quickly is impressive. And 27 jelly babies? I'll be running with 6 gels and a pocket full of jelly beans (damn my Scottish sweet tooth!). There's no such thing as ridiculous, whatever it takes to get you round on the day.

I'm struggling with the thought of needles in the sole of your foot. Sounds awful!

I did 11 miles yesterday, next week is 12 so think I'm at the point where I need to be thinking about hydration and gels a bit more seriously. Will head to Decathlon this week to see what tasty treats they have!

• Dear all,

The supporters/crowd at the London always offer loads of refreshements over and above the official feeding stations - the goodies offered include jelly babies, chocolate, fruit,, beer - yes beer

• Harmander Singh 2 wrote (see)

Dear all,

The supporters/crowd at the London always offer loads of refreshements over and above the official feeding stations - the goodies offered include jelly babies, chocolate, fruit,, beer - yes beer

One of the great pleasures of London marathon as a spectator is giving out jelly babies, especially to those who look like they really need a boost!

I'm currently living in Seville, and there's a marathon here on Sunday. I'm looking forward to going along to support. I did have a look at the course map, and 26 miles looks very far!!!

• Completed the Liversedge Half Marathon yesterday 1:53:37.

Great course, very hilly in places, I would of liked to of got under the 1:50 mark but I don't think I could of pushed myself any further to be honest.

Feeling it now though...

Had a horrible sharp pain at the side of my right knee for about 1/2 minutes at the 10 mile mark, slowed down a little, carried on and it eventually went away. Woke up this morning and when I bend my right knee I can feel a similar pain again image

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Well done everyone, sounds like the training is going well!

I haven't had a very good couple of weeks running wise, tried to rest a bit in the hope my knee pain would go away, so just did a couple of short runs. Knee still painful so bit the bullet and went to see a physio this weekend. That was good news in the circumstances, he said I probably just put a bit more weight on my left knee, but that proper stretching daily and especially after running (I'm not the best at doing that) should fix it.

So did parkrun for the 2nd time on Saturday, beat my first effort by 90 secs which was pleasing, then ran about 15-16 miles yesterday. I could feel my knee, but it wasn't too bad, certainly better than it has been recently. I'm also not sure if trying to run more slowly to protect it meant I put more weight on it and made it worse, so I went a bit faster this time. That generally worked out well although the last couple of miles were really tough (why do I have to live at the top of a hill). Still I guess it's good practise for running when you really want to stop and everything hurts which might come in useful on marathon day.

After stretching post-run, actually couldn't feel my knee at all which was great, although it was quite painful again in the evening after sitting down for a few hours in front of the TV. Solution - keep mobile!

• No I wouldn't recommend needles being stuck into the soles of your foot and wiggled about. It wasn't much fun but desperate times call for desperate measures, plus I thought I was tougher than it turns out I actually am. image

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    dunno who yr "acupuncturist" was, sounds like a Physio with a weekends training, using the famous stick-it-where-it-hurts technique!

Makes my 4 years training and BSc in Traditional Chinese Medicine a bit of a waste of time.image
  • Well done Chris and Nick - I'm in awe of 15/16 miles and a half marathon despite the fact that I'm meant to be doing one on Sunday. My brain hasn't caught up with the miles that my body is getting up to: hopefully it will do by April 24th.

SenidM - you clearly know what you are talking about; shame about the charlatans out there and Rodeo - you are a brave man? woman?

Anyway run well everyone - add all your runs here so you can be cheered on.. and Nick - watch that knee! 1 day off might be worthwhile...
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I do have days off...at the moment normally have Monday and either Friday or Saturday where I do nothing, and normally play squash Tuesday and Thursday which doesn't hurt my knee at all. Am feeling a lot more positive about the knee today, it's been a bit more painful when I've sat still for too long (office job...) but if I keep moving and/or stretching like the physio said then it stops. Will see what physio says on Tuesday but hoping if I keep stretching properly it will clear up.

• Gel wise I am getting on really well with the SIS lemon and lime flavour. They taste good, not too sweet and are isotonic so don't need to be taken with water. I got them on offer online at wiggle. And goodness they do the trick. Take about 10-15 minutes to hit my system.

My nutrition plan will be a big bowel of porridge with berries and nuts and honey 3 hours prior to the race and a gel every hour. As it's likely to take me 5.30 to 6 hours as I am super slow, I'll need something a bit more as I eat a lot normally let alone when running. I'll probably have an energy bar half way round as 6 hours is a long time without solid food.

My main worry re fueling and hydration is I will almost certainly need the loo at some point and I'm worried once I stop and sit down, I'll never get up and get going again!!!!! I found drinking lots of water the night before a long run helps.

Today both my patellas ache going upstairs and the head of my first metatarsal aches a bit in my left foot but no long run now for another 13 days on my plan thank goodness so time to recover. I have no idea how you lot doing a long run every weekend do it. You are all fitter than me. I'll be bring up the rear with the pensioners. But it's ok, I have no shame. I was in the slow running group at school so I am used to it!

Beer Harmander??! I think I would fall down and likely never get up again!
  • Nick - I'm sure it will. You sound like someone who has exercised a lot anyway so I'm sure you know your own body best.

Lass - I might try that flavour then. I had some taster sachets and the blackberry made me gag, it was so horrid. I have the same worries as you about needing the loo especially as it is SUCH a long time as like you it will take me 5.5/6 hours, hopefully unless I walk quite a bit. As long as I cross before 6pm...
  • Hi all, looking for some help. In VLM for first time this year so pleased with that and training is going OK I think but had to miss a lsr yesterday and another few weeks ago which is not ideal. Normally do 2x 5: mile runs a week with a parkrun thrown in the day before my long run. Last lsr was 16 miles on the 7th and took me 3.15 hrs. Anyway, I'm panicking that my mileage is rubbish plus I've read some stuff that says any run over 3.15 hours isn't worth it in marathon training due to increased risk of injury. I'm really confused about what to do, looking to change current training plan to Hal Higdon one anyway but is that a good thing? This is my first marathon.

Think I may be entering panic mode...
  • You sound like you are doing great to me Jackygirl. 16 is further than I have got. And I am slower than you. For reference my longest run/walk is 14 miles and it took me 3.10 mins. I average 13.5 min miles due to the walking breaks. Running is about 12 min miles.

I read that advice about 3 hours too but if I stuck to it I would never get beyond 14 miles which won't get me round 26.2, so I am going to ignore it. I aim to get to a very long and very slow 20 and if I struggle, make my walking breaks even longer.

I am a beginner too but my inclination would be to stick with your current training plan rather than swap at this stage. Which one are you doing?
  • Dear all, yes 69 days to go, you are all nearly there so please do not panic - its the worst thing you can do - just relax.

If you are following the classic training schedules but finding them too difficult, don't worry, just review your finishing time instead by doing what you can.

I tend to suggest to those I train for marathons a more flexible training plan that asks them to fit the bare minimum from a weekly plan. I am just a recreational marathon runner who has just run exactly that - for recreation but over a long time (32 years for marathons but 40 years in total as I used to be a 10,000m runner before that)/

Jackygirl, you will be fine, your pace is ok to run sub-6 hours - at 16 miles you will be close ( Past the little bump at the sailing centre and approaching Manchester Road where the left turn will mean you will be turning towards the finishing line)

Please just believe in yourself.

More later....if anyone wants to know about the route, I can describe every metre from each of the three starts - yes including the Green celeb start.

• Yes I think the advice about three hours is not helpful, it is better to get accustomed to being on the road/your feet for progressively longer and longer periods. 

You are likely to 'hit the wall' at a distance of about a third more than your longest recent run.

In my opinion, by now you ought to be considering running at least a half every weekend and in March build it up to as near to 19/20 as you can before tapering - feel free to run 10 walk 2 (minutes) to keep you going.

• Still sticking to the Galloway plan of a long run every other weekend.  If I run every weekend, I think it will be too much for me.

• By which I mean a long, long run every weekend

• I know I am mad (not just about running) but I intend to run the equivalent of 20 marathons before the VLM - am on about 9 so far.with a series of long runs to come.

Please don't try to copy me, I have another purpose, you guys and girls should concentrate on having fun

• You are nuts!  I have no intention of copying you.  My legs would fall off and then I'd be in trouble.  I have given up on making it round with any sort of time goal.  I intend to meander, take in the sights and soak in the atmosphere.  My knees feel pretty OK tonight after a pilates class - I think the hamstring stretches helped.  In fact , I am thinking of altering my run walk ratio to half and half for maximum meandering and minimum cartilage irritation.  I have told my husband to find something else to do for the day as I won't pass the finish line until gone 4.  I suspect that will involve the pub. My work colleagues are wondering how I will manage to spend 6 hours in central London without managing to go to Selfridges

• Oh, I have drastically cut down on my mileage from nack in the day when it was at least 70 miles a week.

I am concentrating in helping others around to beat their targets but obviously I need to be doubly sure to be able to deliver on the day - so far so good - the run on Sunday covering more than the second half of the VLM course was to help them familiarise them with 'what is around the corner after crossing Tower Bridge.

We did it 2 minutes faster than planned so I am happy

• Jackygirl - Pre-race anxiety is definitely normal, if you've got up to 16 miles at this stage, then you're doing great (regardless of the time). There's so much advice out there, much of it conflicting, that it's probably best to stick to your plan at this stage.

I'd maybe be slightly wary of the Parkrun a day before a long run; most beginners plans seem to suggest a rest day before and after the long run. If you're taking it nice and slowly it could be OK, but probably best not to race it.

Had a lovely 5 miles this morning before work, great to get out on a crisp wintry day.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Jackygirl - if you can do 16 miles having done a parkrun the day before then it sounds like you're doing great! There's lots of advice out there, a lot of it conflicting, one thing that I've seen said more than anything though is that if you miss the odd run here and there it's no problem.

• My Legs are still quite sore from Sunday's Half Marathon effort got a club run planned for Thursday so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back out there.

Plenty of stretching & foam rolling at the moment so at least I'm doing something.

• Just 3 miles this morning to recover from Sunday.  Beautiful and sunny but cold. Troublesome right knee was fine but inner side left one hurts now just to mix it up a little.  It was not sore during but was after and I pulled it when squatting to get something out of a cupboard.  That will teach me to bake biscuits.  More ice.  More Voltarol gel. It's never ending.

A woman at my Pilates class worried me last night telling me she did the marathon 10 years ago and it permanently knackered her knees and she now can't run and I only have one pair so if they are not right I should pull out.  I can't honestly believe one marathon could cause damage that was permanent surely?! An injury that takes a long time to heal yes, permanent damage, no. I hope..........

• ML - in some ways, this is the biggest challenge of the marathon, knowing when injury is looming and backing off, compared to niggles and fatigue. You don't want to risk any permanent damage, but if you backed off every time your legs were sore, you'd never complete the training. Unfortunately this is something which comes with experience, and it's not always easy to tell the difference between the two.

If you're getting pains which are always in the same place then it may be worth getting medical advice. There are lots of ex-runners out there with tales of dodgy knees, but there are also things you can do to guard against injury. Bottom line - if in doubt, see the doc or physio.

• Midlands Lass,

Here is a posting I did on another blog - Thousand Mile Club -

Yes I am a sad little anorak and my records show that I topped 100,000 miles a few years ago ( -going back 40 years mind)

i used to run at least 70 miles a week, often approaching 100 miles - have cut down drastically and do about 2000 a year now.

For the record, my knees are fine

• Hi all,

I'm another first timer - been lurking on this forum for a while so thought I'd say hello. I got a charity place with the Institute of Cancer Research - initially thrilled now slightly daunted! I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan and all seems to be going ok. I ran my first half marathon (on my own, not part of a race) in the rain and hail on Sunday in 2 hours 11 which I was pretty pleased with, though I was knackered and the thought of doing double that is pretty scary. Still, we've got another 9 1/2 weeks to buld up the mileage. I was hoping for a 4 1/2 hour finish time but think I will downgrade my aspirations to just finishing.

My biggest concern is making it to the starting line though. Like other people on here I'm having trouble determining if my aches and pains are just niggles or are signalling the onset of injury. I'm seeing a physio and sports massage every few weeks to keep on top of things so hopefully I'll get there in one piece - a lot of people have sponsored me so don't want to let them down. Most of the time I'm fine when running, but having an office job and commuting to London every day means a lot of sitting down and that's when I start to seize up!

Anyway good luck all