VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Thank you so much guys, really appreciate the support. My plan is from another forum on here by Shades and in really enjoying it so far, 2 shorter runs a week plus a long run on the weekend. I think I am overanalyzing it all and once you start reading then it's a minefield. I realise how lucky I am to get in the ballot on first time so really want to respect the distance but am still a stone overweight and very slow!

I love parkrun as I was so excited when it started as it's quite new but have decided to cancel it now until VLM so that my lsr moves to Saturday so that I have some space if I need to run Sunday instead. Will stick to current plan, 18 on Sunday!!!! Will be throwing in a mid week longish run as well just to be safe I think
  • I have a good physio rodeoflip so I will speak to him as I have a gym session there on Thursday.  If he ever says stop, I will stop.  I like the idea as Jon M suggested of a sports massage.  I will ask my physio if he can recommend someone. 

*slinks off and stops moaning about various joints before rest of beginners forum gets sick of her niggle paranoia*

• Jon, Jacky - hi there *waves*

Lassie we are almost identical in our times etc. Apparently there are 253 pubs along the route and my husband and friends are determined to try them all...

They are all teasing me about lie ins and how when I cross just before 6 we'll need to book for supper etc

As for the knee, please don't worry about talking about it here; that's what we are here for!

I've lost my mojo this week. Something about half term and my run on Sunday over Salisbury plain which was reaalllly slow and hard (fell over, bits of my body hurting which haven't before). I've also got my first half on Sunday and my mind is backing off big time. I've done 10 mile long run last week and if I do this I'm back on the plan but the spirit is very weak indeed.. not sure why.
  • Blithespirit et al,

The marathon s only about 8 Parkruns put together - just add five or ten minutes to your regular Parkrun time and keep that as a motivator during the race itself - you will be fine

• Hi Harmander,

I've never dared to do a parkrun... Having looked up the results timese at my local one, everyone who finishes would be a good 3 minutes at least ahead of me and I would feel dreadful everyone standing around waiting for me...

Yep - that's how embarrassed I am ...

BUT having said that the idea of breaking it down into mini sections is a good one..

Maybe 5 x 5 miles and a bit....
  • Quarters also works well - first quarter takes you to Cutty Sark (roughly), second to Tower Bridge. Third to Canary Wharf and the last to the finish (obviously).

Marathon training is tough and it's hard work, that's why so few people can do it and why it's such an achievement. This is the hardest part of the training, from now until 3 weeks before the race. The mileages are going up and the body is starting to protest at the punishment. It's also easy to forget why you're doing this, it can sometimes feel like a second job (one which pays very badly).

But you're on a training plan which has worked for thousands of other people, and it will work for you. You're doing amazing - you're running 13.1 miles this weekend, a few months ago that would have seemed impossible. Just focus on why you're doing the marathon and how far you've come already.

• Rodeo - you are always so warm and encouraging.  You are right - this is the hard bit isn't it? Also, I think coming back from all that cross training, I thought I would be further along than I am.. I remember running my first 10 miles and thinking that was amazing, and then I ran it last week and it seems that I have just 'stood still' whilst I was 'off' and not running.. I need to remember that last May when I started I couldn't run 30 seconds let alone dare to run 30 miles...

*sigh*

Thanks for the virtual hug; it's appreciated! image

• If it was easy, it wouldn't be an achievement, and we wouldn't all stand around on The Mall afterwards crying our eyes out (be prepared to feel very emotional when you finish).

On the 3rd of April there will be 3 weeks to go, and up and down the country people will be doing the last of their truly long runs (possibly their furthest yet). When you complete this run, you're ready. The long miles are behind you, and you get to put your feet up (relatively speaking) and rest for a few weeks. This is the point when you know your training is just about complete, you've done the work and you're going to make it to the start line, which must mean you've earned a drink or two. It's not that far away.

BTW, motivational crises are fairly common at this stage. You are working really hard to achieve something which still seems like a long way away and the training can become a PITA. Have a look for some footage of the VLM from previous years, and imagine yourself running over Tower Bridge in the middle of it, with people shouting you along so loudly that it almost hurts. Think about how you are going to feel turning right off the Embankment with half a mile to go (hint - the drops slightly downhill there, so you get a little boost from that, it's also the point where most people realise that they're going to make it to the finish, which is a huge relief). Think about how you're going to feel putting that medal around your neck.

And you may foolishly decide to go on and run other marathons, but you'll never quite re-capture that feeling of achievement when you finish the first one. I promise you that the training will all have been worth it on the 24th April.

Is it time to try a few different routes to make the long runs more interesting?

• Blythe. When I shared a picture of me in an icebath (fully clothed!) on Facebook the other week to get more sponsorship, I commented that the thought of 26.2 miles was terrifying and a friend said '14 miles is terrifying and you just did that'. Which made me feel better. Running in the mud on Salisbury plain would zap my mojo too. Bet you feel better after the half. Most half training plans only go to 10 miles do you should manage the extra 3 no problem.

I find it helpful to not give a s**t about being slow or embarrassed when I see 'good runners' out and about. Most runners are nice and encouraging whatever your level. I am sure there are a few diehards who think walking in a marathon is 'cheating' but there are more important things to worry about in life than how fast other people are running. I plan to let the speedy ones pass me on marathon day and have a run/walk party at the back.
  • ML, you may be surprised. They might pass you in the first half, but you might be surprised at how many you pass going along the Embankment.

Tortoises and hares.

• Another 'tortoise' bonus is the 1millionth runner will cross the finishing line this year. According to the internet the mens winner this year will be the 964334th finisher. So the millionth will be the person who finishes this year 35 666th.

Given that 38 000 ran last year the millionth runner will not be one of the hares but likely someone coming in around the 6 hour mark.

There's a thought! Imagine being that person. That would be awesome
  • I was also in the Great North Run (not sure we can mention that here - oops) when the lady from Darlington became the millionth finisher there two years ago.

Guess I am not going to be the one in just under 5 hours. Oh well, guess I will have to keep on going until there is a chance of being the two millionth finisher in about 20 years time.

• Blythespirit,

Parkrun is that - a 'run' not a race so you ought to just take your time and finish when you can - or better still say you are volunteering as Tail Runner and get the volunteer T shirt too.

'Er Indoors first attempt at Parkrun took her over an hour, she is now trying to beat 40 minutes - her next run will be her 70th Parkrun.

• Well thank you all for indulging me. I got off my 'self pitying' bottom and went out for a 7 miler and went fast for the last half mile and then bought myself a second pair of shoes and some gels.

Feeling MUCH better now! Onwards and upwards..

Hugs to you all, and Harmander - really, REALLY good to know about 'er indoors.  You'd be surprised what a difference it makes to know that there are others out there who aren't as fast as the norm....

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Went for 8 miles with the running club last night. Was at similar pace to previously* but found it hard going towards the end. Legs still a bit tired from Sunday I think, plus had a long squash game on Tuesday night which probably didn't help on the tiredness front!

* about 5 min/km pace, hard to tell exactly as there were 4 people in our group with tracker phone/watch things and they varied from 4:51 to 5:04 per km average even though we all ran the same route in the same time! Didn't take my phone as it was raining and I don't have a waterproof cover for it but it often varies 5-10% even running the same route round home.

• Dear all,

I have not heard from anyone wishing to join me in running from Tower Bridge and following the marathon route to the McDonalds on Whitehall (after crossing the finish line) this Sunday - If I still do not hear by Saturday lunchtime I will be forced to run 15 miles plus on our tough course with club members.

I am still okay for running the Tower Bridge to finish line on Saturday 26 March with Blythespirit (in return for a Big Mac Meal) and again on Easter Sunday when it has been suggested we run from Cutty Sark to the Finish (about 20 miles)  before the taper begins.(Two Big Mac Meals yippee)

• Hey Harmander, I hope you're not expecting two meals from me on the Sunday? 

Still on for the Saturday though...

Nick - well done. Sounds like the training is going well. 

• Blythespirit,

Now that's a thought image

As you are not running on Sunday it will be proposed to those who turn up 

• Afternoon Everyone,

Hope everything is going to plan!

Nice & Steady 4 mile recovery run last night from Sunday's half marathon, legs this morning feel ace again! Why didn't I go out soonerimage

Trying out my local Running Club tonight, very well respected in Yorkshire and have some great runners of all abilities so really looking forward to it.

Happy Running!!

• Last year's London marathon was my first - it took me 6hrs 27mins. Not the time I wanted but I have it tattooed on my leg because it's my time. I crossed the line with the biggest smile on my face having had the best day and I overtook a lot of people from mile 20 onwards.

I'm doing it again this year, I've hit the motivational wall at the moment at the 13 mile point but I did that last year too.

Don't be too hard on yourself - you're doing amazing and you seem on course to have one of the best days of your life image

• Can I just say that you are all fantastic, so much encouragement I'm amazed. Managed 5 miles this morning so will attempt 18 on Saturday despite no long run last week and see how I go. I am really excited about the marathon and just worry I'm not doing enough.

Happy running everyone
  • The long runs are the key, doesn't matter how slow they are, just get the miles in.

Jackygirl - if you can run 18 miles on Saturday with over 2 months to go then you will be absolutely fine on the 24th April. Loads of people have finished who haven't run that far at all in training. Good luck!

It's slightly easier for those of us who have run London before - we know what to expect and we can remember how it felt and visualise the route and the atmosphere. This is a great motivator, - I can remember at one point in last year's race thinking "I can't bear the thought of this marathon taking place without me next year, I would miss this too much" and this thought drove me to achieve a Good For Age time, which I am really proud of.

For all first-timers, there's a very good reason why this marathon is so over-subscribed and difficult to get into, and why people like me want to do it year after year (this year will be my fourth in a row). You will have a day which you will remember for the rest of your life, and that's what you're working towards now, that's why your out running on tired legs in the freezing cold. Trust me - it will be worth it!

• Agree with rodeoflip - it's all worth it image

• Totally agree with Rodeoflip about the London being the best marathon in the world - I regret not taking up the challenge earlier and missing the first four - this year will be my 32nd on the trot (literally).

When I am 74 it will be my 50th consecutive London.

• Hi

I'm running this year for a local charity (the Kent Messenger Charity Team), which raises money for local children's charities and events.

I'm aiming for somewhere between 4h-4h30m. Finished the local Deal HM last weekend in 1h58m which I was happy with due to the amount of hills involved!

We're travelling up from Kent and wondered how best to negotiate the travelling aspect? Early trains from Kent won't work as they're not really early enough on a Sunday, unless we drive part of the way and perhaps park up at say Bexley?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

• Dear Carlstoakes,

A good rest the night before is paramount, overcoming pre-race nerves and the need for a tried /tested breakfast that has gone through the system being equally important I suggest you book a bed & breakfast the night before. Find somewhere near a transport hub (I think they are also called train stations) that has a directlink to Blakheath or Cutty Sark so you get a good detail - failing that, even crashing out at a friends place is better than the park up

• Lots of mixed posts this week. Long runs are definitely getting longer and it does feel like a lot. It's feeling like quite a big time commitment at the moment, and my friends seem to have accepted that going to the pub is pretty much off limits most days, at least for more than a Coke!

I had some good 'short' runs this week, and a swim yesterday to give my legs a bit of a rest. 12 miles awaits tomorrow.

On the subject of accommodation and getting to the starting line, my only marathon to date was in Krak??w in 2013. I was booked into a hotel on the marathon route and a 10 minute bus journey to the start. I did a dummy run of the route, had it all figured out. However, on the day the road closed and buses stopped running earlier than advertised. I ended up having to walk/jog to the start line, which wasn't exactly what I'd planned! The stress didn't seem to do me too much damage in the end though image

Good luck to everyone for their long slow runs this weekend.
  • Well 18 miles done today, took 3.40hrs but still I'm happy if now a bit John Wayne like. Managed to get out before the bad weather hit so not too bad. Gym tomorrow for a bit I think.

Happy running