Replacing runs with bike rides

As suggested in the title I am wondering how effective it would be to replace some of the lnog runs in  marathon training plan with bike rides.

I usually run and cycle equally but I have just signed up for Manchester marathon in April and I'll need to train with a focus on running to hit my marathon goal. I don't want to stop cycling though so I thought that an aerobiclaly paced long ride of up to three hours might be good cross training for the running.

Can anyone advise me or offer up their experiences of something similar?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

hi rich, I'd not advise replacing your long runs with bike rides for marathon training, half the battle is getting your legs used to the pounding of longer periods of running, I would however replace some of your easy/recovery runs with biking I did that with some success this year as I struggle with high mileage

• Have you done much running before?

It's worked for me to in the past but I must have 15 or more marathons in my legs. The long run is the key and you really need them.

Unless you've run plenty already - you don't want to miss these long runs. A long bike ride of three hours is probably worth less than an hour's running. It's just not the same.
  • Last year I was running 40 miles a week doing 10k and half marathons. I started tris this year so the running went down to 15-20 miles but I was cycling up to 150 miles (plus 2-3 days swimming)

Running is my strongest discipline in tri. 2.5 hours into an olympic distance tri I am still holding close to 40 minute 10k pace. I'm hoping a 3 hour marathon is reasonable follwing a good plan, half marathon PB was 1:26 last year but I'm lighter and fitter now.

• I thought people would say what you've both said about the importance of building leg tolerance to the pounding. I'm just trying to work out how to fit some cycling into my training.

• Well you can't skip the long runs. I do my long run on a Friday night or Saturday morning and then cycling is Sunday. It'd be a shame to mess up a good debut with not having the stamina.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

If you have the spare time over the weekend, I think it's worth having a big old endurance fest of a long ride and a long run, preferably in that order since the recovery from riding is easier than from running.  A typical training pattern for me in marathon build-up would be alternating weekends of run/run and bike/run, for Saturday/Sunday.  Something like 50 - 60 miles on the bike on Saturday and 20 mile run on the Sunday. Maybe some rides during the week in the place of easy runs. (I do 2/3 spin classes in the week even in heaviest marathon training.)

Or maybe replace the long run no more than every week in three, but there really is no substitute for time-on-feet and running long miles on tired legs.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally speaking I never found beating the shit out of my legs trained me for anything.

My fastest marathon was off the back of a long run on the Saturday and two hours plus on the bike the following day.

I ran a 2:46 off mainly bike training. 3 hours of drive on a bike over hills has some effect. Pootling along easy osy may not.

Only difference is how your feet and ankles operate. Biking does zilch so running must be done lest a flat footed marathon is the result.

🙂

• My best marathon time had me doing long rides and long runs.......but i wouldnt replace the long runs.........I find a short easy bike straight after the long run........really helps with endurance without adding the injury risk of going over long.....also helps with recovery.......and with a long bike on a seperate day