Tuesday 3rd Feb

Morning.

What: long run planned. In reality the kids will be ill, wife will be out and I'll have to babysit all day, it's been that kind of week already.

Why: mara training

Last hard: Friday
Last rest: Saturday

Comments

• Morning all

What: 5.5 easy am, 60 mins continuous hilly run pm

Why: it's hilly around here.

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: 10 days
  • Hello,

What: 4m easy am, done. 8x600m, 200m rec @ 10K pace + 200m fast.

Why: club track session

Last hard: Sat

Last rest: 25 days
  • Morning all,

What: rest, even though its a club night. Why: A whole crowd of us are going to watch 'Boro beat up some London football team.
    Last rest: Friday

Have a goodly day.
  • Morning All

Eid holidays over so back to work after 5 wonderful days of rest.

What: 1 hour hill session
    Why: Two Oceans training
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest: Sunday

Happy running
  • Morning Everyone,

What: 10M 'steady-state' club run.
    Why: We're checking out some new routes as a bunch of us have just resigned from Notts AC so we're meeting at a different location to see if it meets our needs.
    Last hard run: Final few miles on Sunday was tough.
    Last rest day: Monday.
  • Hi,

What: 3 to 4 miles steady
    Why: planned short run

Enjoy the match Sodahead

Andy

• morning.

what : rest
    why : have VO max test tomorrow and i'm told it's not pleasant!
    last rest : sat
    last hard : monday

may go for a splash in the pool later though, nothing too strenuous.
  • Good morning!

What: Cross-training. Probably upper-body and core work for half an hour and then a swim.
    Why: Probably ought to, though I'd rather just go out running again.
    Last rest: Yesterday - though I did a little recovery run, and keeping the pace steady instead of just belting it out because I could took a lot of restraint.
    Last hard: Sunday's long run.
  • Morning all,

What: 4 miles with a few strides
    Why: This is my first week of mara training
    Last rest: Saturday

Keep on running
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What:swim
    why:it's a good thing to do
    last hard:Sunday
    last rest:what's that?!
  • Morning people!

What: 40 min base run after Sunday's long long run

Why: Track night tonight !

"When falling forward remember to put your leg out first" !
  • Just over 4 miles, attempting a sort of LT10 run

hmmmmm
    still not over saturday, methinks
  • Morning all,

What: gym session & 5 miles done, 6 at lunchtime and 9 tonight
    Why: aerobic base building
    Last hard: 30th Nov
    Last rest: Sunday

Have a good one
  • Morning

What: club night hill sprints oh goody
    Why: I am trying to love hills
    Last hard: Saturday

• What: 5-6m's and Pilates
    Why: Club run, and the pilates is due to me being too nice and saying I'll go with a friend

Two Ton - your 'what' is absolutely terrifying - do you not get tired? (or is that demeaning to your manliness :)

And has anyone here done Pilates? My first time, and not quite sure what to expect (tho have been told it's very good for me)

Have a good day!!
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Very dramatic resigning from your AC, Marmite Master. I take it I must have missed the story on previous training threads?

Anyway morning all,

What: 30 min at "conversational" pace
    Why: mileage build-up
    Last hard: Friday

Off for coffee now...
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Bunnyphobia - I did one group Pilates Class and soon realised that I should have
    a) done an individual one first to really get the hang of things (this seems to be the recommendation)
    b) found a decent instructor - the one we had was just vague and useless

That said I would do it if i could find convenient local classes and a good instructor - the concepts certainly seemed good.
  • Posting this from internet cafe in south of Turkey.

All seems to have truly gone pear shape.

On Saturday, went out for 6 mile easy but in first half just upped the pace ever so slightly for 100 metres to see how leg was and same pain as before and the second half of the recovery run was absolute agony with very bad pain ın shin and rear muscle.

Having tried to take it easy week before last, am left with feeling I have no other option than to take a few days complete rest so am planning nothing at all now until Thursday or Friday this week. May try and do a bit of cycling tonight and some stretches.

Am at a loss as what may have caused this. Thought at fırst may be linked with treadmill running, then thought may be linked with shoes. Am running ın NB 1022 whıch are fairly neutral with ca 100 miles in the and 830s which have 400 miles ın them. But really dont know. Am feeling to be honest pretty miserable and desperatley worried about what this means for London on 18 Apil. Also not really sure how to solve this as living over here in turkey means it is almost impossıble to go and find a good sports physio for advice.

Would welcome any suggestions or thoughts out there on what to do. İf İ do take time out until say Friday which will mean basically a week off, is this likely to set me back too far for London. İs there anything İ can do to minimise loss of fitness.

Sorry to sound so down but this is my first real set back and first bloody injury!!!!

Simon

P.S. At least it is nice weather down here and Mary has got some good runs in for her half in March! Lucas has also been practicising his beer dunking skills ready for an attack on Snail and Tim in the Hague.

• Morning All

Hilly good to see you keeping active

What: 1 hour pilates session and 5m easy run am, hill fartlek club session tonight which includes long run out and back total run 12 miles.
    Why: Mileage building

Have a good day everybody
  • Hi all

What: hopefully nothing although am waiting to hear from lunchtime running partner about whether my presence is required for her to be able to run today

Why: still in 'come back' phase so knackered after Sunday's and Monday's runs

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: saturday

Have fun, all.
  • Morning all,

What: probably go for a swim
    Why: calf feels better, but I'm erring on the side of caution here

Really hoping that a few days rest will give the calf chance to heal. Also having another massage on Saturday which should help. Just hope all will be well for a good half marathon at Wokingham! At least I'm getting an (enforced) taper for this...

Good running everyone.
  • Morning all,

What: 1600M speed reps @gym done
    Why: modified FLM schedule
    Last Rest:Yesterday
    Last Hard: Saturday, hill reps

Have fun out there
  • Morning!

what: reps

Happy running!
  • morning all

gentle five mile last night may have been a mistake...oh well too late now!

what: club night including delightful 2 mile handicap which i am dreading
    why: that, is indeed a good question
    last hard: sunday
    last rest: friday

I can see I am going to struggle to get out of the door tonight but I have my night off tomorrow so trying to keep focussed.

Have a good one everyone and hope you injured people get well soon!
  • Morning all,

What: dragged my still bruised and battered body around a 9 mile undulating loop at little more than recovery pace, some easy strides late on.
    Why: Mileage building and re-establish base.
    Last hard: 2 days (Tough Guy)
    Last rest: 4 days
    Mileage last 7 days: 32

Good to be out treading the roads and building the mileage again. Sore shin and knee on rhs still from Sunday - should ease of as bruising subsides. Club night tonight (shall be at the back of the slow group), massage and rest day tomorrow.

Have a good day all.
  • That's really bad luck SiT. I wish you well! Last year whilst training for my first 1/2 I missed a lot of due to tendonitis and still managed the 1/2.

I am sure there is a great deal of difference between that and a full marathon tho. Don't get too down about it. Everyone is different and each come back is different. If you can keep generally fit during your layoff you may be fine.

What: 5m forest run
    Why: It's in the new plan!
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last hard: Sat

Happy day.............................
  • Morning all,

What: 8K row (2:04 pace, 200 drag)
    Why: Running substitute/injured
    Last rest: Xmas day
    Last hard: today

7 day totals:

Run - 0
    Row - 26K (16m)
    Swim - 9.5K

Felt really tired today and struggled to complete the 8K at 2:04/500m, when last week I was doing it at 2:02/500m. It could be the late night last night, or perhaps I could do with a rest as it's been over a month.
  • Morning all,

SiT - sorry to hear about your problems. From my past experience, I'd say take it carefully with cross-training: if you can find something that won't affect those muscles then fair enough, but anything that is working them, even if not to the same extent as running, might still slow your recovery. You shouldn't lose much fitness in a week off, especially with your endurance base, and it's definitely better to get it sorted now than to only half-rest it and have it lingering for ages. Definitely see a physio if possible though. I hope you come through it ok.

Anyway,

What: done 5m easy, 8x400s tonight with club.
    Why: training has been a bit erratic recently for various reasons, and I need to get back into a decent routine.
    Last hard: 10 days
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good one.
  • SiT, not sure if this has been mentioned already but definitely ice the area, 3-4 times per day, 10-15 mins per time. I had a very similar problem to the one you describe during a crucial time during preparation for the Las Vegas marathon in Feb 2001. I'm hopeful that if you ice the area religiously that this will lead to significant improvement. If it feels ok to bike, I'd jump on that this week, which will maintain your fitness and give your legs a break from the pounding. When you venture out running again, if at all possible, I'd try doing off-road stuff for a bit to see if this helps. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Morning

Had a nightmare last night, went to gym and it was so packed I git the ump and walked out, so had to do yesterdays weights session today

But............

I decided to do a 3 mile run on the treadmill, always start at 12kph to begin with as a warm up, so in I tap 12, and all of a sudden the thing went mental and nearly threw me off the end, wasnt till I slammed the stop button that I read the display now showing mph, the machine had reset its self as all machines are measured in kms!

What: 3 mile run in 20 mins and total body workout on weights.

Hope a small run tonight before work

Why: Last phase in the weights programme, move on to smaller reps week after next and just wanted a short burst of a run as its small speed sessions coming up!

Last Rest: Yesterday ( after walking out of the gym )

Last Hard: Sunday

Bye all