Options

Tuesday 3rd Feb

Comments

• Options
    Back from hill session in the gym, treadmill set at 7 degree gradient and ran 5 x 1km reps at 11 k/p/h. with 0.5km jog in between. Have never tried hill training before but Two Oceans has got me worried so hill training it is. Finding it very hard work but only second week at it so will persevere.

SIT When I was injured prior to NYC 2003 I tried pool runing for three weeks, I was unable to run without pain but quite capable of running in the pool for a hour at the time. I wouldn't say that it kept me as fit as running but it helped physchologically and kept some fitness level.
  • Options
    What - cycle to club - 6-7 miles with club - then do 20 miles on the bike steady.
    Still got a cold but did an easy 6 last night OK so may as well press on. If I feel OK running tonight may do a 5k race tomorrow evening in Derby.

Marmite - what's happening with Notts AC then - are you forming a new club? My mate Phil might be interested if you set something up nearish him as he is city centre and all the clubs seem to be way out.

SiT - sorry to hear about your injury - haven't really been following the DTT religiously recently but you've had this for a while now haven't you? If it's inflammation of a tendon then it may just be a case of having to rest weeks or even a month or more. I wouldn't necessarily assume that there is an obvious cause such as shoes, treadmill etc If you have access to a university library a good anatomy textbook is McMinn - it's basically colour photographs of bodies with the skin,muscle etc stripped away - sounds gory but you can actually see what lies where in terms of tendons, ligaments, nerves muscles etc and sometimes helps self diagnose injury problems.
  • Options
    Don’t often get time to read the whole thread.

Sorry to hear of the injury SiT, maybe it’s an over-use thing – ice certainly but sometimes rest is the only cure along with some cross training opportunities. From my own experience I can certainly recommend pool running - if done properly will maintain aerobic ability whilst NO IMPACT on inflamed or injured tissue. Can think of worse places to be laid up in – have very fond memories of Southern Turkey, Turunc, Fethiye, Kalkan, Kas etc.

There seem to be an increasing number of niggles, aches and pains and people in various stages of recovery. Know how you feel - am coming out of injury recovery phase into mileage building and re-establishing that all important base.

Speedie - classic! 12mph - that's only (!) 5 minute miling.
  • Options
    Morning all. Some good bread-and-butter training going on, I see.

SiT, it's tough, isn't it. Just apply the same kind of discipline to getting better that you do to your training and it'll be sorted before long.

Today is mostly club night. I did manage to get out for a brief sesh yesterday, 8K of tready intervals. Worked too hard on it considering tonight's plan, but I'm holding together quite nicely.

Have fun.
  • Options
    Hi all

what: 5miles on gym tready including 8X150m hills at 9-10% incline

why: trying to resume HM schedule after being ill over the weekend.

Run felt harder than it should've but was expecting that having been left with a dry tickly cough and cold!!

Try to stay positive SiT and any others who are suffering at the moment.
    Catch you later
    tiaxx
  • Options
    Morning,

What: Rest.
    Why: Did hard hilly 12 miles last night and legs need a rest. Starting to feel like a runner again.

Lyrics: Timmy Mallet, Polka dot bikini?
  • Options
    Afternoon

What: 5 mile tempo run
    Why: LT training

Last rest: Friday
    Last hard: Sunday

Damn Matt - you beat me to it with the lyrics...
  • Options
    Afternoon all!

Marmite Master ... hope it all works out, I´m sure I´ll hear about it from Mr W!

SiT - I missed two weeks of marathon training last year because I damaged my pelvis in a fall and couldn´t even walk! Obviously I´m in a different class from you (I was aiming for sub-3.45), and this happened in the first 4 weeks of my training programme, but I don´t think it made a huge difference to my overall time, in fact it may have helped as all the little niggles I´d been carrying cleared up because of the enforced rest! I had an easy week when I came back into training, as I was still in quite a lot of pain, and then carried on as normal. Hope it all gets better soon - have you contacted the Turkish Olympic Association to see who they use as physios?

What: 6.5 mile tempo run, inc warm up and warm down. Felt really good, despite the gale force winds and hail and stuff
    Why: Schedule dictates
    Last hard: today - well, I wan´t fast but worked hard, running through ankle deep melting snow!
    Last rest: Saturday

Well, I´m flying to the UK tomorrow, staying in the East Midlands so if you see a tall runner in a bright orange jacket pacing the streets of Nottingham or Derby ... it´s probably me.

Currently trying to remind myself about UK driving laws ... driving on the wrong side of the road and having to do things like indicate ...
  • Options
    Hi,

What: Rest from running, gym after work.
    Why: Resting injured plantar fascia this week, weight training for marathon.
    Last rest: Yesterday :-(
    Last hard: Sunday.

Hope things get better soon , SiT.
    Enjoy your UK sojourn, Lizzy. Remember, you can switch your headlights off during the day here.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Have been SO busy at work lately I just haven't had time to post, never mind about actually read the thread as well! Managed to run in last week's snow by leaving it until lunchtime on the Thursday when it had softened a bit, and avoiding the more obvious patches of ice. Managed just over 7 miles in an hour that day, which was OK. Did my long run Saturday this weekend as I had a friend over from Paris who's training for the Paris marathon, so it made sense to do our long run together. 14 miles in howling wind and rain was not the most pleasant running experience in the world, but I felt very virtuous afterwards!

What: 4 miles at recovery pace.
    Why: Schedule says 4 miles, and I still have a few aches from Saturday as we were a bit overzealous in our pacing and ran 8:29 minute miles for 14 miles!!
    Last hard: Saturday, without a doubt.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Have a good one folks - still windy out there!
  • Options
    Oooh Ratcatcher, you know... I just can't... it seems all wrong somehow!

• Options
    ooof, 1 hour circuits & 3 miles on a hilly tready prog (30 mins, up to level 7 x 3) this morning. Some very unladylike dripping going on.
  • Options
    Hiya,

Lunchtime : 5 miles brisk with work colleagues on cycle track (30:54). Not as fast as last week but pleased with this as it was quite windy!

Later : 6 miles easy home from work.

Legs felt heavy at first at lunchtime but having people to chase does wonders! (We do a h'cap system).

Seeya later ...
  • Options
    Hello,
    What- whatever everyone else is doing at the club
    Last hard- yesterday 18.5 miles hurrah, runs are building up.

Posting during lunch so can't hang about long.
  • Options
    Hi folks

What - Steady 5

Why - Coz I want to

Last hard - Last night

Last Rest - Sunday (Did long run on Saturday in the wind and the rain).
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    3m jog am

Club night, will hopefully get some long intervals that I can adapt to 30-40mins at LT-10 plus generous warm up and cd will give me 1:10 or so on my feet

Last rest 38 days!!!
  • Options
    Afternoon

Nothing have to rest today tis hard though I really want to be out there even in this awful weather.

Hope you all had good runs out there!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    ratcatcher I see you had they same idea and gone for a picture from the Grim
  • Options
    afternoon all

nice & mild here - if grey

what: session with Wirral AC runners
    why: it's Tuesday and I'm fit (sort of)
    last hard day: 18/1/2004
    last rest day: Fri

This session has come a bit early in the course of my comeback - I won't yet be up to one of those eyeballs out "tempo runs" we do every 3 weeks or so (hopefully not tonight). Steady run would do me. We shall see.

SiT - sorry to read of your injury woes. Can only suggest ice and as much rest as you think you can get away with on your schedule.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    SiT-like everyone else I'm sorry to hear your niggles have got worse.

Apart from doing the things that others have already mentioned. You could also try doing self massage using something like emu oil (Paula uses this)or Biofreeze (cryotherapy)which although might not cure it overnight, it should ease the discomfort.

I don't know if you live near the sea, but if you do you could also try 10 mins of walk/jog through it. If it's good enough for easing horses muscles it's good enough for humans!

There's also the ice bath or if you don't want the bath, use a clean empty bin and fill it with iced water.

For maintaining your fitness I'd go with cv equipment, swimming, aqua jogging and cycling.

Hope things improve quickly for you!
  • Options
    Hi all,

What: road session - probably long reps
    Why: Club Night
    Last Rest: Friday
    Last Hard: Saturday

have good sessions tonight everyone!
  • Options
    Simon, desperate news. No advice on the injury as I have only had one bad one.

I'll just offer these words of comfort. A V40 at our club ran his best marathon (sub 2:30) after missing a whole week 6 weeks out before the race. Reckoned it gave his tired body time to absorb all the hard training.

So don't get too down about FLM. Preparations are rarely perfect. Paula got knocked down by the cyclist, there were doubts about her even running and she smashed the record.

There's a long way to go yet.
  • Options
    Suffering a major attack of CBA! Didn't swim Monday deciding I'd rest after Sundays LSD. Should have done 6-8 steady/tempo today but just kept finding excuses for why not to do it - tired, didn't sleep well, stuff like that. Maybe I'll catch an early night tonight and feel more motivated in the morning.
  • Options
    It's Tuesday, and that means speed wuk :(

What: 5 miles of 'all out' intervals of 200mtrs, 400mtrs and 800mtrs with a remarkably short 100mtr recoveries between.
    Why: Wk 8 marathon schedule says so
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last time my lungs nearly exploded, apart from today: can't remember!

I hope it was worth it...that's all I can say!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

What: nothing
    Why: Left leg very swollen and bruised after TG (don't let Angelis read that) Annoying because leg muscles are absolutely fine, different story further up my body though! Leg not painful to walk but tender to touch. Should I try a gentle run in the morning?
    Graham, how did you manage 9 miles so soon? I'm impressed.
    SiT, sorry to hear about your persistent injury problem. Can't add anything else but you have my sympathy.
  • Options
    evening everyone

What: travelling lots again today, so another forced rest :(

SiT - I'm afraid I've haven't followed your injury that closely, so forgive me if this makes no sense, but I used to get deep calf pain when I got shim splints. I think it was tib posterior working with all its might to lessen shock loads on my shins, and eventually giving up the ghost. This was my own invented diagnosis after a lot of soul searching, so may not even have been true for me, let alone you.
    Treat as for any acute inflammation of unknown origin - ice and rest from causative activity for a while - as all have suggested. Best of luck for rapid recovery

FG (a physio, for what it's worth)
  • Options
    SiT - good luck - has anybody else suggested ibuprofen gels? Actually, Ibuprofen equivalents generally, though it wrecks your gut unless you are really careful about eating lots and are blessed with a teflon constitution.

Nothing beyond an hour and a half with my Pilates teacher, lots of exercises to do on a brand new big blue bouncy ball, and a bit of coaching on how to walk and how to run.

She had a few suggestions about what to do with the dreaded 6mile runs (basicly work on speed/technique sticking to run/walk for a bit) on a suck it and see basis.

I see RW has a whole page spread on what marathon to run, except that it misses out the details of which have cutoff times!
  • Options
    Evening

3.9 miles done and it felt nice :o)

laters

Andy
  • Options
    hi all,

no running for me today :-(

woke up with a very sore throat so decided not to do the early morning run to work, knowing I've got a hard work week this week anyway. Still at work now, starting at 6.45 tomorrow, Thurs and Friday, with late-night finishes, so no running for me until the run home on Friday evening.

Surviving on coca-cola and chocolate this evening because that's all there is in the office fridge. NOT a happy bunny... prob won't post on here till the weekend, it's too depressing when I'm just going from bed to the office and back in a series of cabs.

Simon - sorry to hear of your injury. Very worried to hear that Lucas is practising - he seemed to be pretty good without the practice! Tim, you and I had better start practising defending our beer! Guess Lucas will have grown a bit since October too - that means longer arms and bigger fists which = less beer left in my glass. Help!

• Options
    lol ...

Just thought I'd report back about my "6 miles easy home from work".
    Hmmm very nice, was soaked after 2 mins and it turned into a 50 minute slog (mostly uphill) against wind and driving rain. Great 'recovery run' - however the bath afterwards was bliss!!

Speak tomorrow then ... R