Roding Valley Half Marathon

Comments

• Thanks M - good luck in the Rotterdam.
  • Well done everyone!

I didn't even start - pulled out due to an annoying cold. Went down to watch the start though, although I only saw Jason and Legless. Was looking out for you Loopylou but missed you!
  • Sloth - sorry not to have seen you -wish that cold better.

Pansie - I'll probably be doing the Brentwood half, so may see you there, though by the sound of it, you'll be finished by the time I've run my first mile, so I'll wave goodbye to you at the start! Are you doing the 15 mile training run this coming Sunday at Brentwood?
  • I will NEVER run the Roding Half EVER again.
    It was an assault course, not a road race.
    The best bit was the drive home.

I'm so embarrassed about my time, I'm too ashamed to tell anyone at the club what it was.

Doing Thanet 20 on Sunday, which I think I can well and truly manage now.

Asked for results, just to see how near the end I was, but haven't heard any thing yet.
    lol.
  • Creake Knees - I have the Excel sheet. You can either post your name on the forum and I can post your result :) or email me your email and I forward it to you!

Sometimes I have the same problem and worry too much about the result. Important to learn to not take to seriously. In your case I am sure it was a valuable training unit, you main goal is possibly FLM anyway. There is always another run and you can improve your time.
  • URR,
    I'd like to say that I was entered in FLM, but alas, no.
    I started out with four other friends, who slowly left me behind in their wake.
    I did the first long lap in 50 minutes, but the second long lap was a killer, as I knew where all the hills were then!

I was treating it like a training run though, thankfully.
    lol :D
  • Creaky, don't worry mate, you're not the only one!

I was 8 mins outside my PB and fed up with it, I shan't do it again either.

My Mum got to see me run for the first time, and it was only 40 minutes down the road from her, so that was the best thing for me.

Other than that, no way am I doing it again.
  • LOL Maybe some of you will do a spring marathon. I am sure you will say afterwards: "Dude, glad that I did the harsh Roding Valley half, it really gave me the necessary strength!"
  • Hi, nrg-b. Finally got round to tracking you down on the forums. Couldn't make this race, unfortunately - nursing a thigh strain which I don't want to aggravate before the sliverstone 1/2 next weekend. Will no doubt catch up with you at another race soon.
  • In a way I liked the challenge, it was just that it was a bit uninspiring.

I feel sorry for the race organiser in a way, as he doesn't have much to work with.

What was that medal about though?!
  • Agree, I thought the start venue was quite okay, good for a post race party, but there wasn't much going on. Free cake, drinks, etc. and a bit of music would have been nice. You only get a flooded toilet.

With regards to the medal, I thought the guy hands out an energy bar. Then realised it was a medal. Well they could have placed a cute girl there handing out the medals, followed by a well done :)

As always unfortunately you get hardly any support along the route, only the few people at the finish. A bit sad, but also race organisers could to a bit more to attract people or they should organise a race as part of a community festival. Just a thought!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Badger!!! At long last! How are you? Did you do this event? I'm doing Reading HM next sunday 7th and Brentwood the sunday after (14th). How about you, mate?

Too much inspiration from URR I guess ;-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    By the way, Roding Valley, Chigwell, Redbridge, Hainult, Clayhall are all my local training areas.

Good experience but the hills play havoc with the HRM for a base trainer like me.

I reckon I will be doing this HM again - definitely.
  • i quite enjoyed it in a weird sort of way

they could do a lot more to make it better though

mile signs you can see would be nice - if you put them on the wrong side of the road i probably won't even notice them.

more marshalls - and maybe even ones that smile? i said (well more panted / grunted) thank you to every marshall i saw and only one responded - all the others ignored me!

and definitely more going on at the finish. actually i quite liked the medal though and the guy who handed me mine said well done and even sounded like he meant it!

i'm not sure if i'll do it again - but i certainly wont put it down as a good pb course!
  • the medal :)

i ran this in 1997 and the medal is almost exactly the same, same blue wallet and everything. Made meh laugh.
    (Had a few years out from running)
  • Don't want to get into stereotypes. Just wanted to share this one. I was missing the first mile marker. Thought to myself "hey someone must have nicked the sign, oh well we are in Essex!". Later at around mile 10, someone in white track suite and baseball cap looked out of his car and screamed "118" (Yes, I know I ran 1:18!) Racing on a Sunday is always an experience.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    When I run at 4:45-5AM past the rubbish trucks on Ley St, even the dustmen shout '118' at me. If I wrote my response then this thread would get instantly cazzed.
  • I think I may have slightly bettered by PB of 1:44:12. I'm waiting for the results to be put on their website. I enjoyed it but the traffic was a bit iffy, especially on the road leading up to Buckhurst Hill. Next up for me is the Stafford 20.
  • number 52 andy?

if so - 1:43:34
  • Yes, that's me. I did get a PB.

Thank you M.
  • Well done, Andy! At least someone got a PB! All the best for Stafford 20 too.
  • Thanks Raf. My Jason also ran. His previous best was about 2:21 and he finished on Sunday in about 2:05. Much celebratory beer was drunk afterwards.
  • Looploo - no not doing the training run this sunday, am not even sure if I could run 15 miles as i have never tried.

Creaky knees- do not be embarassed about your time. The fact that you can run 20 miles I think is an achievement enough - i couldn't run 20 thats for sure!

Well done everyone!

Despite the pot holes, the traffic, the sour faced marshalls, the 13 hills (or so someone told me) the needing a number 2 at 9 miles (sorry is that too much info?) and the lack of a cute girl giving out the medals I STILL enjoyed the race! Bring on Brentwood.
  • Sounds like my sort of event, pansie! Sorry I missed it as I like the hill climbs, but this one fell in the middle of Great Bentley 10 and the Silverstone 1/2 and my better half is strictly rationing the number of weekends I can burn up with racing! Definitely in the calendar for next year.

NRG-B, still no synchronisation of our calendars I'm afraid as I'm doing the Hemel 10 on the 14th instead of Brentwood. God knows I've spent enough hours in brentwood without going running there as well! Hemel sounds a bit more attractive. (Apologies to brentwoodies.) After that, Hatfield House is my next one - some speed training! (I wish.)
  • Hi - This is the race organiser here. I wasn't aware of this forum until a colleague pointed it out to me. I have been reading the comments with interest and will take the feedback on board. It seems to me that the main issues were the marshalling, the problem with parked cars between Chigwell and Buckhurst Hill and whether we should consider a different medal/giveaway at the end.

It is always a challenge to find enough volunteers to man the feeding stations and to marshall - especially as many of the club stalwarts who have done this for years have become older or infirm, but we will try and improve this aspect next year.

Regarding the course, because of the problems with parked cars/traffic, I did look at changing the course last year, but really couldn't find an alternative. At present, apart from the first small lap when everyone is together, the course at least doesn't cross any major junctions. One other alternative would be to start the race at 9am so that at least most of the runners would be past the problem before the cars start building up.

With the medals, I have tended to keep these the same each year as it is always difficult to predict how many runners we will have each year and so there is always a stock of about 200 or so carried over to the following year. Perhaps next year it is time for a change (for the second half of the field at least).

Finally, the results are now on the club website www.woodfordgac-essexl.org.uk under the results tab, or if you aren't already on my mailing list, send me a mail at dhollingworth@softek.com and I will send them to you and also notify you about next year's race nearer the time.

Thanks

• David

thanks for your response. i've recommended your race (via our club newsletter) for anyone at our club after a bit of pre-marathon strength training next year!

finding marshalls is always a tricky one. i've seen a few tactics tried at both my running and tri clubs. perhaps saying you can only run if a family member or friend marshalls in your place? i saw that woodford green had over 10 runers so that may provide you a few?

also various incentives for marshalling instead of running (club championship points, extra entry in the club FLM place draw, or whatever else you think might appeal to your runners)

we're only quite a small club (about 120 memebers) but with these types of schemes and much nagging by the chairman we turned out over 95 of those 120 to help with marshalling, road signs, handing out goody bags etc

and maybe some "caution runners" signs on the main roads might help?

anyway - thats supposed to be constructive. my overall impression ofthe race was a good on (helped along by a pb!)

congrats to you and your team.

M xx

• Thanks for the response David.

You don't have to have medals, mugs or t-shirts can be just as good.

As I say, a hard race, glad I did it as it will come in handy for Hastings, soem killer hills!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    David,

Roding Valley was my first HM and I enjoyed it greatly. Lookforward to the next one.

Best Regards.
  • Hi everyone, i say "thank you" or "thanks" when i run past a marshall, i dont say it as often as i should.They are giving up their time to marshall us. If some of you thought it was cold running on sunday try standing for a few hours(marshalling) or handing out drinks.Then see how cold it can get.
    This was my second Roding 1/2 and i enjoyed it,as i did last year.I am also glad to support my local race.I only live a couple of miles away from ahston.
    Woodford my not get it completely right but it gets it almost right,which for most of us is good enough.
    If we runners want better ran races would we pay more for it? i think not.
    Perhaps we should take a turn at being a marshall once a year to see what it is like.
    Thats the moan out of the way,see you next year.
    The proud wearer of number 1.

• Blimey, I thought I was reading about the British 10K for a moment there!

If we aren't allowed to make comments that are construed negatively, then what is the point of having a forum to discuss events? What is the point of RW ranking races? You never know, some race directors might appreciate feedback and use it to improve their races!

Would I be prepared to pay for better races? Speaking as someone who's already ran Robin Hood and the Nike 10K, I don't think that's in question.

Where does this mentality of not criticising anything come from? I haven't marshalled yet, I'm not a member of a running club at the moment. But I would happily do so to put something back into running as I feel I've taken a lot out of it already. I've already volunteered to marshall at L2B.

I said "thanks" to a marshall on Sunday after he encouraged me, for what it's worth.