Manchester Accommodation 2016

I have just signed up for Manchester Marathon and have not ran the race or visited the city before, so looking for advice on best places to stay on the Saturday night? I have read that there are good metrolink trains to the start line so not too worried about that side if things.I will be getting the train to Manchester itself so ideally need to be not too far from the train station.

Thanks. 

Comments

• Anywhere near Piccadilly should be fine. Just note that the Metrolink stop "Old Trafford" is the Old Trafford cricket ground, not Man Utd. It's about a 10 minute walk from there up Matt Busby Way.

• Hi Alice, check the prices first for the city centre as they may inflate the prices for the weekend of the race.  If that is the case check Altrincham it is 15 minutes on the tram in the opposite direction from Manchester but will be normal room prices. there is a budget hotel across the road from the Altrincham tram stop.

you would get the tram to Manchester or Altrincham at the same location but Manchester is one way Altrincham is the other way. travel time is similar to both locations.

there are a few hotels near the start finish line Google search based on Manchester united football club as your reference point.  However, the room prices will be inflated for those hotels.

• Check out prices, but anywhere round Salford Quays would be ideal.  Ten minute walk from marathon start and finish area and an easy tram ride into town. image

• Any hotel along the Altrincham to Manchester tram route. There are many including some nice independent hotels.

As a guide I would suggest hotels in Altrincham and Sale, and then the other side of the start line in Salford Quays or City Centre. As Pete says some will inflate prices particularly Salford Quays and City Centre.

This is the tram map - http://www.metrolink.co.uk/stationinfo/Documents/Route_Map.pdf

The tram is NOT as efficient as the London Underground, trams on race day are usually (I think) every 8 or 12 minutes, but there will be room on them as they will put double cabs on.

The start line is located near Old Trafford and Trafford Bar - a couple of minutes walk from either station.

• I stayed at the Holiday Inn by Media City. It is about a mile to Old Trafford so a good little walk to start loosening the legs up enroute.

There is also a  metro that goes from Picadilly to Media City.