Confidence after broken arm

OK 6 weeks ago I did a race called man v mountain and fell over while running down snowdon and I fractured my humorous It's healed enough to run but I'm dead paranoid of falling over again. It's first time I've fallen over while running (I've had one close call but didn't fall). The terrain is terrible descending snowdon so I really shouldn't fall over on normal ground. I wanted to do a speed session yesterday but just lost my nerve and couldn't do it. Just had a gentle jog instead. Any tips to stop me being such a wuss? Doc says it'll take 9 months to be as strong as it was, but should be able to run now (and it doesn't hurt when I run currently n). I really don't want to be a plodder for 9 months. Thanks Richard

Comments

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

I broke a fifth metatarsal last year while out walking, and can sympathise with the loss of confidence.

I was told that after about 3weeks if the bone has started to knit together then some weight bearing would help speed up healing, and completely healed after around 6 weeks  BUT the bone then remodels over the next 12 months with some pain/spasm on occasions. So would say that you would be able to carry on as normal a lot earlier than 9 months, although all breaks/healing are different.

Now I have always had 'dodgy' ankles, tend to go over on them when walking on uneven ground. The physio said that this is actually called 'poor proprioception' or in lay terms bad co-ordination, and it can be improved.

I was given exercises to do, mainly balancing on one foot and moving the other to north, south east and west. Also do this on a cushion or balance board.

This has considerably improved my balance and my ankles feel much more stable now, and it has increased my confidence as I was worried I would break my foot again.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Richard 2 wrote (see)
    OK 6 weeks ago I did a race called man v mountain and fell over while running down snowdon and I fractured my humorous

is that your funny bone?