TOUGH GUYS 2005

Comments

• I had that Rachel, lost feeling in my right index finger but I think that's because of it being stamped on a few times!!
  • RichM - If you've a spare large t I'll grab it next time I'm down. Binned mine this morning as after a wash it wen't a bit "green". Shame as it was top-banana!
  • morning!!

So how far back do I have to read all the gossip?!?
  • Morning Spans WELL DONE.

Bottom of page 129 to start!!
  • Lots of messages, mostly about how little skin anyone has and how much everyone aches.
    Oh and how mad you were doing a race on sat!
  • Well I'll read back later when I have time... but will add to everyones thoughts that in hindsight... I was mad to race on Saturday as well... oh and I have no skin on my shins and knees and ache like crazy still!!!
  • some of that could be the Anacondas, Spans :)
  • Well I never thought I'd say this, but I'm rather glad I picked up that injury at the end of last year. Coming along and watching, all I could think was, "oh god, i could have been doing this".

Romek (my step-son) had my number, and kept the URWFRC as his team, and put in a bloody good show. Finishing in about 2.44. And he's only 17 and doesn't even run. Well done Rom. And well done to Pav, his Dad, his finished just a few minutes later.

They didn't know they could 'skip' obstacles and did just about everything. Only Rom missed the huge tubes at the end cos his cramp was so bad.

WELL DONE TO YOU ALL, and NO, I won't be entering next year.
  • Nernernernernernerner Imelda is a GIRLY :)
  • Juicer:..

I wonder how many other Father/Son., Mother / daughter etc (But NOT brothers and sisters) ran on Sunday.

My son came in about 1:50 and me about 4:05
  • >>They didn't know they could 'skip' obstacles and did just about everything

Real ToughGuys don't skip obstacles ;~)
  • (says me that can get drunk on half a shandy)
  • Glad to say that I didn't skip anything, though wished I had at certain points, discovered that I'm not really too fond of heights or rope walkways!!
  • I didn't either, although when I got to the top for the arctic plunge it took me about 5 mins to get the guts up to jump in!!!

Did anyone else swallow loads of water there???
  • There is no such thing as bad weather (or bad races)just unsuitable clothing. My TG kit has evolved after having completed 8 TG events. I know it is a bit late now but I recommend the following;
    * neoprene socks
    * lose fitting PVC trousers
    * neoprene vest
    * rubber gloves
    * liquorice allsorts
    * large inflatable banana (optional)
    Incidentally, I found this year's event to be hugely enjoyable not least because I persuaded my girlfriend to come and support me. She even greeted me at the beginning of the obstacle course with a pint of beer. What a girl!
  • Aaah - I think I saw your banana at the start. (so to speak).

• I saw a large inflatable crocodile - several times in fact!!

Hammer I loved the arctic plunge, was great fun, gungho jumped off yelling "top bombing". I banged my bum on the bottom of the pool though - wasn't deep enough!

I loved all the slippy slidey mud and the water events didn't bother me - was really just the fear of falling to my death that bugged me ever so slightly!
  • hi peeps

on top of big aches from TG, Petal and I have picked up some stomach bugs from somewhere and we have both been ill with vomiting and diarrhoea - well P hasn't had the pukes but I have - started with me last night, P was off ill yesterday, and I had a shite night so just climbed out of my sick bed as feeling a tad better but very dehydrated so needed a drink (getting some Rego down me)

anyone else suffered this or are we alone?

PB - you must have changed next to the URWFRC crew in the TG tent as I saw a guy at the end changing who had an inflatable banana about 10ft away from me when Petal was getting changed!! and there was a lady with him so probability it was you.
  • FB - I'm fine aprt from really stiff and sore (and cramps). Can't remember feeling this bad last year...but then again I didn't rememeber how cold the water was either!
  • I was feeling quite dodgy after last night's run. Thought I was going to be sick. Was a bit worried as legs were badly cut and St Johns told me to go to A&E for jabs, which I didn't do. Feel fine today though.
  • i swallowed some water and it definitely made me feel queasy, but no up-chucking. My farts smelled of that fetid water until late last night. Not nice.

Have decided i'm definitely doing it again.
  • problem was Matt - I was sick - a number of times..................and I still daren't fart..............have a banging headache as well...

I know you ripped your leg at TG so you may want to consider a tetanus jab if you aren't up to date - Mousa's fields are probably not the most hygienic!

one of those 24hr bugs I guess........
  • I had a slight headache too.

Hope you get well soon.
  • Ahh FB et al, hope you're feeling better soon. I had bad headache yesterday but am fine now. Probably just your body saying 'help me, is this all over now'?

Anyone up for next year?

Zoommy I'm a lady (& not in the Little Britain sense of the word). Proportionally there's not that many but still a good few. You'd never be on your own.
  • 10p - I can garauntee that the scrapes on my shins are from the loving care you and FB gave me over the annacondas... so I will nurse them with the love the deserve!!

((FB & Petal)).. I haven't felt great but have so far avoided upchucking...

Have now managed to read back.. ((for all those that DNF'd)) and congrats to everyone that finished
  • Well done everyone for getting through the Tough Guy. That was my third one on Sunday and I'm still feeling a bit stiff, and my shins look like a patchwork quilt with all the bruises! Luckily though I decided to wear Volleyball kneepads which saved my knees from the worst effects. They were an absolute godsend on the Vietcong tunnels and the Anaconda. The Arctic plunge was the devil's own work, but made it through.
    I'm sure it was much colder this year than last. It felt like running on stumps after going under the bridge.
    Still, the feeling afterwards is like nothing else.
    Well done Tough Guys (and GIRLS!!!!)
    cheers,
    Sophie
  • Tara - I was carping it at the arctic plunge cos I struggle to even jump into a swimming pool from the side. I'm not a great swimmer as I lack confidence after a near drowning incident as a kid, but hopefully I've overcome that a bit!!!

FB - No doubt from some of the water that you probably swallowed. Now who was it that said they were peeing in the water????

I was recommended by a tri guy to drink a can of coke after I finished as it usually kills off any bugs in the water that you've swallowed. Not sure whether it actually works but I haven't had any problems, perhaps some of our tri friends can confirm?
    Hope you get better soon!!
  • Sorry to hear about your weak constitution FB. From the sound of you and Petal your bathroom must look a bit like the Gurkha Grand National at the moment.
  • Twas probably what you ate in the Mermaid FB.

(saw you in the car park, just as we were giving up finding anywhere to put the car).

Getting some food after was almost a greater challenge than the race itself!!