Snowdonia Marathon 2016

Can't find the thread anywhere, so here goes (gulp)...

Next year's hotel is booked, so I guess that's me committed. NB shift in date to Sat 29 October - I and perhaps numerous others had anticipated the 22nd.

Highlights about to air on S4C - happy viewing image

Comments

• Hooray - new thread started!  Just 12 months' training to go... image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Rival threads!  Or is this one just for the 'single' SNOD?

Always seems to be the weekend the clocks go back.

I'm up for at least one SNOD in 2016.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

2 threads with the same title? I can see trouble aheadimage

I think I will be limiting myself to 1 Snod - and go for quality over quality. Got enough ultras lined up anyway image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Sorry Dennis, didn't realise you'd started a thread. See my post on the other thread.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm going to have my work cut out doing the lists for both threads!

I vote for keeping just the camaraderie one, because that is the key feature, not whether one or two laps!

• I'm confused image which thread are we keeping? I'll definately be back for next year...... I think I'm up for the double, but will have to see how training goes over next summer

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    That settles it. No confusion allowed. It's hard enough to figure out which foot goes next.

I'll put a post saying the other thread is closed and to use this one only.
  • Apologies for any chaos inadvertently caused. I just couldn't fathom how a new thread hadn't appeared; now that I know hangovers were involved everything suddenly makes sense.

All this talk of double SNOD is blowing my mind. I'd be intrigued to experience the course in reverse but doing so at 5am on race morning wouldn't have immediately occurred to me.

Hope others' quads are recovering better than mine - 4 days on I am still walking decidedly like John Wayne. Sunday's Bridgnorth 10k promises to be a stern test.
  • Good evening Team Snod 2016,only 361 days to go!! A very pleasant but slow 23 mile training run around Waunfawr today-absolutely stunning day here.
  • I think the photo scenario is the only thing that can be improved regarding this race. It was my first SNOD and thought the whole thing was mind blowing.

The photos available are hard to find and apart from the 2 i have on the finish line i found only 1 other . Considering the stunning location and potential backdrops i was surprised by lack  of originality in camera placings.   There are bigger events competitor wise that have something  as simple as a  Finishers board to stand in front of to capture your end of race mug shot  and given the achievement it can only add to round off your day.

A very minor gripe and well done to anyone who competed , see you next year..

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    UDS hope snowdonia marathon are paying you for your modelingimage
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    despite the fact that i'm only here in spirit at the moment I am still liking the idea of a SNOD double...mr panad said they announced someone finishing this year who had done just that, started at 5am..
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

OK, the triple it is, then ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Start at midnight, or is that a little too ambitious?

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Not for you maybe....

For me, I'll need a wheelbarrow. ...

Now there's an idea!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Did anyone else notice the brand new path leading down into the valley after Pen-y-pass?  It goes parallel to the road, cuts out the Pen-y-Gwryd corner and connects up with the start of the offroad track section that we use.

If this was used for the marathon then the fact this would shorten the route might mean the start and finish can finally meet up.  The main downside I can see is that the path is too narrow for the size of the field at mile 5.

Might suggest it to the organisers, though!

• That path has been there for quite a while TR. It was used for the Salomon Trail Marathon earlier on in the year. Having walked/run the path, I would say it is not suitable for the marathon - personally I cannot see any need for the route to be amended/for it to start/finish in the same place.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    As JB says that path has been there years TRex as a signposted track, though they have made it into more of a 'proper' path in the last year using stone etc. I have been up and down it during training in the past to keep off the main road (though not since they have redone it!)
  • Hiya Snodders, are we all out training?image

• Yep, didn't let a mere severe gale force wind stop me image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Training?  What's that?

I think it's a case of post-SNOD blues.

I'm definitely considering the double in 2016.

Mrs T Rex and I will be at the SNOD house again, along with two sets of car keys. Hopefully.  Car will not be back for at least another two weeks yet.

• Crikey TRex image  Did wonder if you'd get home and find the keys at the bottom of a bag or something?  Sort of thing I would do image

First XC race of the season for me yesterday.  Very wet and muddy course, but very mild conditions.  Bit strange running XC in vest and shorts and not shivering from hyperthermia image 

What's everyone been up to then?  No doubt Brer will have rattled out another three or four marathons image 

• After resting/no running for 5 days after the marathon I picked up a back muscle niggle. Since easing, I have only ran twice, though that was around the Betws trail 10k course to help set up/clear up re yesterday's race. Thankfully no issues and my next event is the British & Irish Cross Country event in Dublin next Saturday. However after booking with Ryanair last week I have only just found out that they insist on a valid UK Passport to fly with them to Dublin!! Have had to book an interview with the passport office next Thursday to get a passport in time!!

• ^^ this is like paddling through treacle, Brer Rabbit!

Good training weather for SNOD today, battling into 55kts gusts!

• Battled through my first and (probably) last double marathon on 31st. First one started 9.00am and the second at 4pm. It is the break between them that kills you. Still a memorable experience with some likeminded fools. Shame you couldn't make it Brer as it was a good day. You doing the sunrise2sunset on 27th Dec?

Blimey Mr R you have had a right game with the car.

Good luck with the passport office JB and of course with the race.

Off for the annual mud bath that is the Broadway Marathon this Sunday.

• Oh LG - did the Broadway half last year and then missed the entries for this year's and it had filled up image  It will definitely be muddy after all the rain we've had .... that last section (about a mile or so from finish) will stay with me for quite a while!!  Needed my XC spikes!!  But, as with all Cotswold Running events, a brilliantly organised event.  Are you doing Naunton Nearly 19?  Missed out on that one too (note to self: must get more organised!).

• Oh yes SD, those last few miles are killer and they are not even that hilly compared to the rest of the course. It is a great event with some stunning views but it does fill up fast. Think I entered in August so put a note in your diary for next year.

Really fancied the Naunton 19 but it is the first day after we get back from hols so didn't think it would go down too well with Mrs LG.! Was tempted by their Evesham Ultra in May but imagine that idea will be a lot less appealing come Sunday afternoon!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

An Other Half - hold on to your hat if you're going out running tomorrow.

The LG - 'probably'?  How about another one on 29 October next year?

John B - just when I thought you were the steadiest one on here a bit of chaos enters your pre-race arrangements!

Busy thinking about next year's race plans - always one of the year's greatest pleasures. Six ultras so far (five of them new to me) and two marathons.  Feeble fare compared to some of you ...