Sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess

Comments

• It's Country to Capital in January Seren. 45 miles which most people say is actually around 42/43 miles when they get to the end. Although the first 20 miles can be a little tricky to navigate apparently so it could be 45 in the end for me. image 

I think after the TP100 I'll be taking an extended break from ultras as well. The issue I have is I want it all. I want that sub 20 5k, I want a 42 minute 10k and to run a fast half but wanting to run 100 miles in one go as well in a calendar year makes those other goals very difficult! For me the short race speed just deserts me.

• GM, you will have some videos from the Running Technique Workshop image , so there's your dynamic selfie sorted image 

Seren, was fab to see you, albeit briefly at the Giant's Head marathon!  Will you be doing it again this year?  What marathon you're going for speed in?

I certainly agree! I'm so grateful for these forums.  DS2, Malcs and Minni are constant inspiration for me, and have become great friends too, despite the miles between us image Although only Malcs made it to my wedding... Did anyone know he was a closet belly dancer?? image

Stan, will be interesting to see if your caffeine experiment works!  I don't drink that much, just a cup of tea when I first wake up, and a cup of coffee with my breakfast, and that tends to be it for the day, but if I miss these, I get a horrid headache by mid-afternoon, so clearly addicted, albeit in small quantities.

Sean, I didn't realise you hadn't parkrun before this year!  Even so, your pb last weekend was brilliant! 

GM, Really look forward to meeting you on Nov 21st image And thanks for telling all your friends about my facebook page image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

** Malcs has left the thread **

• Morning!

Is there no end to your talents Malcsimage

Really looking forward to it Angela. Should be very interesting to have my running analysed. It'll be really useful for Mrs GM as well. She's been struggling with a lot of niggles of late and been given some conflicting advice.

No problem with the Facebook thing! I'll try Twitter today and see if I can get you a few more followers!image

• Hi all

Great to catch up see your adventures.Been struggling with aching left hip. Seen physio got tight glute doing lots of stretching.Been resting and only easy 5km runs.Hope to get sorted to have another go at a marathon next year sub 3.15!

• Well, if Malcs has left the thread, I guess I'd be alright to look up and share the photographic evidence!!image 

Just sent a little news to my mailing list, so if you wish to see the letter, and subscribe to it, you can do so by clicking here: http://eepurl.com/bEmNJT 

There's a halloween meme in there that I made myself, and am very proud of!!! image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ok, ok, I'm back, I'm back! Haven't I paid you enough already Angela? This constant blackmail has got to stop!!!image

Martin - sorry to hear about the hip but sounds like you have a recovery plan in place. That's half the battle. I'm sure you'll be sorted in no time. Just don't rush it!

Great to hear you're targeting 3:15! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Martin - sorry to hear  an issue with your hip but if you're allowed to run then it can't be too serious. I too would be targeting 3:15 if my physio will relent and tell me I can run endurance events again!

Malcs - of course you are back. You have more than 3300 posts to your name - more than 1000 more than me, although pale into insignificance to Seren's THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll never be able to pay Angela enough. She has so much on you!

• sensesense ✭✭✭

GM - wow.  if  the success of your training & spring marathon is proportional to the level of thread activity, you're home & dry already.  can't think how busy it'll get when people actually start training! image

happy weekend running everyone. particularly anyone racing and/or chasing pbs

• Have i really got 37000 post.......I bet no more than 10 of them as sensibleimage

Angela..I really want to do Giantshead again for the 3rd time but finding it hard to fit it into my calender..I love it...

I am targeting Llanelli for my a race....a week before london..Its flat and a smallish field which has a half going on for the first lap......I hate the crowded marathons where I struggle to relax and breathe

• I'm with you on that Seren! I found it pretty hard to get in my zone for at least first 6 miles of london marathon this year... If you fancy venturing East, I highly recommend stour valley marathon as one of the most beautiful (and it's virtually on my doorstep) ????

I'll be doing another race just the week before London this year though ????
  • Sense - I think most people have missed a decent thread to follow since April, hence the activity now image

• sensesense ✭✭✭

Sean - in that case, well done again for recognising it and doing something about it. go well if parkrunning again tomorrow 

• Yes I am planning to PArkrun again tomorrow, although think I'll go back to Folkestone this week. Hoping to get a course PB, so will need to get under 20 Mins.

Goodluck to anyone else Parkrunning tomorrow image

• Sense, it is flying for sure! Having to catch up again now. Let's hope I can deliver out there then!

Martin, sounds like you've been making real strides despite your hip problems. 3:15 is rapido! Hope you'll be back to full fitness soon for a good crack at it!

I've been out for a gentle few miles earlier, feeling alright after Sunday. I'm off into Cambridge now to see the comedian Jimeion. Fantastic Irish comedian who can make you laugh with just the raise of an eyebrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Interesting.....so no Asics threads for the Spring.

So is this new thread a RW initiated thread (to replace the Asics ?) or is it an Irunsuccess initiated thread ? or is this free advice (in the form of mentoring) as against (paid for) coaching ?.........................none meant, just interested.

• TR - It was my cheeky suggestion to get a Sub 3:30 Thread up and running. I suggested that Gingermagic, who just missed out from being selected last year by RW & ASICS, but was still involved with Supermans thread, be mentored by Angela. Yes I nominated her services free of charge! But I know she has mentored people on these forums before. If it gives her business I run success a bit of publicity, then all the better.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Fair enough, why are there no Asics threads for the Spring then ?

• image oops just got up.

• I missed mine as well......got a hilly offroad half marathon tomorrow so can say I'm resting  imageimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    TR/ Mr P - how you both doing? Long time and all that!
  • Ran Folkestone Parkrun today, perfect conditions - 20:01. So frustrating! I suppose the four pints of Guinness I had last night didn't really help!

Still will make it extra special when I do break sub 20 at Folkestone.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Great running though Sean. Well done mate!

I did my first ever park run today! Under instructions from physio not to run hard so started comfortably intending to run 7:45mm. Did run a bit harder averaging 7:27mm.

Nothing to write home about but it's a start on the long road back. Was 2nd old git though (MV50) ????
  • Hi DS I have a couple of hernias and what I think is an adductor problem, apart from that I'm flying image

I see a consultant on Friday, so I'll have a clearer idea of what the next step ought to be, resting till then.

But, with a fair wind, I could still do a marathon in spring, so I'm hanging round for a bit of motivation.

• Evening all! Gutted for you Sean but sure once you do go under 20 mins at Folkestone you will feel great. Sure it will happen any Saturday soon. Well done on your first parkrun DS2. Did you get a 20% voucher for sweatshop too? I am going to use mine for a new pair of trainers as that will be the thing that bounces me towards a pb! Didn't manage one this week - in fact my legs didn't feel like they were up to much today and I finished in 19:44 and down in 30th. My coffee experiment actual made my time worse..... failing new trainers I guess I'll just have to actually get out and train.

Angela in terms of using weights and doing squats and lunges. How much do you recommend? I currently do weights 3 times a week and then run between 20-30 miles. Would it be better to drop a gym session and increase the mileage? What does everyone else think?

Got a massage booked for Thursday and then doing the Cheshire 10K on Saturday (great having a race on a Saturday for once). I am hoping to get under 40 mins after failing last week in Accrington....

Hope all goes well for your consultants visit Mr P! Hope you are back up and running soon. Malcs how are you maintaining your fitness with the bad foot? Are you swimming or cycling or are both those too painful as well?

Good luck for your hilly half marathon Seren. I like a hilly course as at least you get a kind of rest on the downhills. The uphills however.....

• Evening all!

Well done on the parkrun Sean. You know its just a matter of time before you go sub 20 at Folkestone after that today. Maybe you should've had another couple of Guinness'. They say its good for you! DS2, Stan, nice one on your parkruns as well.

Mr P, I'll second what Stan says and wish you all the best with the consultant as well! 

Some Saturdays I like to torture myself by going to watch MK Dons play football. This was one of those days. image I got a glimpse of the plan that Angela has devised as well. I think there's still some tweeking that Angela wants to get done before we share it. It looks good though!

• Mr P. stay positive. Hope they can fix you in time for a spring marathon.

Looking forward to see the plan ginger and Angela image

Great parkrun times Stan and Sean even though you're not happy with the result. I couldn't live without coffee ... I don't drink that much but I need a solid caffeine fix first thing. Without I turn into the world's grumpiest old womanimage

Lazy October is over. Today is day one of base training for spring. I'm running Hamburg on April 17 and probably Prague 3 weeks later image Prague is an all expenses paid work event. usually it's a corporate relay but this year they're looking for a corporate team of 4 people that go the full distance. Stupidly I said yes ....
  • Morning all, hope we're all having lovely weekends! image I had a great run yesterday with some HMP miles, and am looking forward to an easy 16 today.  Superman is in NYC for his marathon so have wished him luck, although he told me he will be using his mortal powers, rather than super powers to race.

As GM mentioned, I've given him his first month's plan.  I strongly believe in creating a plan that is specific to each individual athlete.  Whilst there are clear similarities for those working toward similar goals, everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses as well as rest of life.  My own training was quite different when I was working full time in finance in the city of london and away from home 12+ hours per day, compared to now, when I work very close to home and have free time during the day.

Whilst I currently have in my mind how GM's plan will develop, I've not given him a day by day plan until Manchester Marathon just yet.  So much can change between now and then, and I need time to learn my athlete as well. 

Phase 1 of Ginger's plan is about building up his base endurance.  This means a lot of slow miles so that we can get the running volume up swiftly.  The 10%per week rule doesn't apply right now.  Ideally He would be in a position where his realistic marathon pace is more like 8:30 to 8:40 minute mile by the end of the year (from 10:05 in Frankfurt last week).  Then from January, we can work on getting it down below 8mm.

Volume is important, as I don't want the C2C in January to set him back too much because he finds 45 miles such a shock to the system.

Speedwork for GM is limited for now, and focusses on Marathon paced efforts in both shorter and medium length runs.  He also has a half marathon in a couple of weeks, which I want him to race to give an indication of where he is on the shorter end.

Strength work: Is not something GM has done an awful lot of before, so his plan for now is about getting into the routine of it, as well as encouraging muscular strength and endurance.  Rep ranges are high to keep the muscles under tension for longer. But also to allow GM to work with weights that are not so heavy that he puts undue tension on his tendons and ligaments that are unused to strength training.  Similar rules apply as to running, when it comes to building up strength training.

When he comes to my Running Technique Workshop on November 21st, he will learn more about strength training, and I will also assess his biomechanics to see if he's ready for more advanced techniques.

• Hi Stan,

Re: weights, sets, reps, # of sessions.... I'm afraid the answer is, it depends.  The important thing is that it remains challenging.  The most obvious mistake I see amongst people who are regular gym goers, but don't seek help from a Gym Instructor or Personal Trainer is that their weights aren't challenging enough, or that the programmes are unbalanced (for example, lots of work on the biceps and abdominals, and very little or nothing on the back...)  You ought to feel like your last repetition in an exercise is really tough.  Some times the weights used are too challenging, such that form is actually quite dangerously wrong- a gym instructor should come and tell you about this, but they have so many people to focus on, that its possible they don't see it happening.

With a spotter or someone to help you, go for 9 out of 10 on the intensity scale.  If you're doing it on your own - perhaps only push to 7 out of 10 for safety's sake.  Generally, we use different rep/set ranges for different goals, and I would use these in different phases in the programme.  But, the safest, and most general rep range is 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps - this will work for building endurance.  Different ranges would be used for building up strength, building muscle mass (not too desirable for a marathon runner), and building power - important closer to races.