Cant get rid of this itch! Another zero – Iron Man post

Comments

• Yeah I saw one here on Amazon local deals but it was just at a fairly generic bike shop ... I have to say I am a bit dubious of bike fit in general.   It seems like a very easy way to separate someone with disposable income from a few hundred quid.

Im not against the concept - it clearly works when done well- I just doubt the likelihood of every bike fitter doing a session and coming up with the same conclusions.   My guess is each fit would give a completely different set up!   Which makes me think I should try and sort it myself and spend the money elsewhere 

• My physio who is a competitive triathlete has always said its some of the best money you can spend in triathlon, then again I ride a 400 quid decathlon bike so I'm not sure how much difference it will make

• I completely see the sense and benefit of it - especially if you are riding in aero tuck... I just dont want to rush into it.   I personally know someone who struggled to get a fit on his touring bike...he went to three different places and spent 800 and ended up with 3 completely different set ups.   There has to be something wrong for that to happen.

If I cant get comfy then I will definitely spend the money out though - just need to find someone I trust.

After a rest yesterday I did my longest run distance today.   6 miles at 11.42 min/mile.  Ran the first couple of miles then started walking for 10-20 seconds whenever I started to tie up a bit, seemed to work as I finished pretty strong and could have done a bit more.   Gonna try and stay at 5-6 miles for the next week or two then slowly add a mile on each week.

Splits were 

11.12/11.20/11.33/12.01/12.03/12.12/11.39

https://www.strava.com/activities/427602591

• I'm also new to the world of triathlon, so my knowledge is limited but I went for a retul bike fit yesterday on the initial "go" I pedalled at a comfortable rate and the cadence was 75 with my right knee having a lateral movement of 66 mm. The final "go" saw my cadence at 89 which felt much easier and the lateral movement was down to 33 mm not only that I felt much more comfortable. p.s I don't work for Retul image

• First newb question then ... I have over sized thighs and upper legs from cycling (and the from my extra padding) which are having a bit of an argument with each other during my runs....the result being some mild chaffing which I can see is gonna get uncomfortable if not addressed.  

What do I need to be buying to help this ... I presume running specific shorts exist?   Compression gear?  At the moment I am running is a pretty light pair of generic sports shorts  with the classic net curtain stuff going on inside.

A very good weekend food wise (with quite a bit of walking and some clubbing) was followed up by 45 minutes intervals on the turbo yesterday and a 5 mile run tonight.  

• A fiver pair of running shorts will solve that and some bodyglide

• Ok - google search on discount running shorts show Wiggle have these for £18 (including my loyal customer/addict discount)...http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nike-5-distance-short-ho15/  They should be fine then

• As a cyclist - I hate the flappy running shorts - so I always go for the cycling length lycra running versions. Those or compression shorts and you won't get any chafing.
  • Similar solution to Cougie - except I try to maintain a bit of modesty by just wearing the lycra under my current flappy sports shorts with netting inner. If you have a Decathlon near you I think they do some mid thigh length lycra shorts for a fiver, that are sometimes even less than that in the sale rail.

I try to restrain the full MAMIL look for races only image

• Yeah I don't mind going full mamil on the bike (although the people that see me might!) - at least im going fast enough as to not make it a public decency offence.

I have a pair of unpadded bike bib shorts somewhere .. may just wear them under my normal shorts first and see how it feels then... Im guessing they may not be cut in such a way thats conducive to running?

• I just wear them under my normal running shorts which are normally a pair of football shorts

• Does anyone have a recommendation of a half marathon I could enter early in the new year somewhere within say 50 miles of Oxford?    Ideally I would like some nice views and easy logistics!  Something with a few other beginners running would be nice too although I really don't care about finishing at the back of the field.

• Fleet Half in March ? (though don't think its particularly scenic though image), Reading Half  is also March I think, and definitely *not* scenic image

• Reading Half is late this year, April 2nd or thereabouts. I'm already signed up. Logistics are easy as there are shuttle busses running to/from the train station all morning.

I'd agree with Fraggle though, it's not what I'd call scenic. I'd possibly also not class it as beginner friendly, but then there are usually 10-20 thousand runners of all abilities (it's normally placed as a good warmup race for London), so you'll find somewhere to fit in I'm sure.

• Reading not scenic??  Are you mad?? What more do you want from a race than that long boring straight drag of the A33?? image

There is nice bit near the bottom of Broad Street isn't there, and the Turks Head normally hands out beer!

I'm in too, so I'll see you there DR?

• On a serious note, Wokingham Half at the end of Feb is beginner friendly and has some nice views if you like fields and hedges!! Only 2000 odd runners, low key but well organised (apart from the kit tent)

• Thanks very much .... maybe scenic was the wrong word, im not looking for stunning vistas..... just not the A33!  There are plenty of nice places to run near my house, so although I would like some kind of event in the diary to push me on...I don't want to incur expense and logistical effort just to run around some one elses one way system.

• Wokingham Half isn't too bad - and you do get to run over the A329M  image  and its pretty much flat too.

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Reading not scenic??  Are you mad?? What more do you want from a race than that long boring straight drag of the A33?? image

There is nice bit near the bottom of Broad Street isn't there, and the Turks Head normally hands out beer!

I'm in too, so I'll see you there DR?

I hate that drag along the A33, you used to see the stadium, think you're home and then they sent you round green park for another 2k - so disheartening! They changed the course last year though so you get that bit out of the way first - so much better! Once you see the stadium, you know you can give it that final push image

Yep I'll be there. Won't be in Pirate kit, and probably slower than last year if my current weight is any sort of indicator, but any time under 1.50 I'll be happy with.

• Watford half is on 7th February

• Weekly weigh in gave me a very welcome 3lb loss... nice!  So im down to 17.3.   My diet this week has been really, really good even with a night out .... I have an Indian celebration meal with friends on Saturday so need to eat accordingly over the weekend but otherwise I hope to be able to keep the diet going next week too - I have been under my 1800 calories every day without taking into account the exercise.

Exercise log for the week =

Fri - 10k run (evening)

Sat- clubbing (evening, night, morning) yes im counting this!

Sun- work and rest

Mon- 45 minute turbo intervals

Tue- 4.5 mile steady run

Wed- 1 hour turbo trainer  (20 minutes cadence/ 10 mins grinding a big gear/10 minutes out of saddle/10 minutes right leg only/10 minutes left leg only)

Thurs- 6.2 mile run at 11.33/mile

Have been trying to do all of the exercise after a period of at least 8 hours fasting and then eat straight after to maximize weight loss.... I am finding that im close to bonking after an hour on the bike or jogging but It seems to be working for me... I have found bonk training pretty effective on the bike in the past.

10k from tonight is here...https://www.strava.com/activities/431449164 ... felt ok at the end apart from being starving.   

• Nice work Jedi!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • You are a better man than I managing an hour on the turbo its my idea of personal hell, after putting in a 65 hour week at work i have come down with a phlegmy cough and a sore back (i constantly smell of deep heat at the minute). Rest weekend I think for me. 

• Only 65 Simo? Lightweight. image

•  

Simo429 wrote (see)

You are a better man than I managing an hour on the turbo its my idea of personal hell, after putting in a 65 hour week at work i have come down with a phlegmy cough and a sore back (i constantly smell of deep heat at the minute). Rest weekend I think for me. 

An hour is about my limit ....and even then I need it broken down into smaller activities...although because my turbo is set up in the shed I built myself...its quite a nice escape at times...especially as the wi fi reaches out there.   I need to get a solar light installed but to be honest at least when its pitch black you cant see the sweat falling!

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/shaunea1/1E036DFB-C296-4984-AFB6-8F98C3D71FE3_zpszrj1hyvh.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/shaunea1/C44B200A-BB22-473E-8913-BCB1931E24FB_zpsqz9u3omw.jpg

• Another week down... weighing in at 17.2 = 1lb loss this week.   Actually pleased with that as I have had a difficult week food wise with 2 social events and 2 times eating out.    I didnt go completely mad on any of those occasions but I had to put in some extra exercise to balance things out

Exercise log for the week =

Fri - Rest day

Sat- 1 hour turbo - various drills and intervals

Sun- 1 hour very hung-over turbo base ride(morning) Then 5k run at faster pace for me (10m/m) in the evening

Mon- 1.5 hour gym circuit - treadmill/elliptical/spin bike and weights

Tue- 10k on treadmill and a few weights

Wed- 15 minutes worth of internal on treadmill, bike and elliptical =45 min total and weights

Thurs- 8.2 mile run at 11.41/mile https://www.strava.com/activities/435648645

Pretty happy with all that - had an amazing run on the treadmill on Tuesday where I felt I could have kept going for some time.   Then my longest run last night also containing my best 10K.   8 miles is the limit at the moment - I think I am risking injury going any further because my form was starting to give way.  It was actually a 9..3 mile route but I walked the last mile as I felt I was putting myself at risk by running.

I also have a swim smooth tutor that has been recommended by a friend who does cross country and a bit of tri - Quite pricey but its one on one lessons in a good local pool so it is something im going to pursue

All in all im really happy - clothes are significantly looser and I think the fat loss may be bigger than the weight loss at the mo - I have upped the strength training so I guess weight loss might be temporary effected by some initial muscle gains?

I am most happy with the running as I am finding a steady 2-4 miles is now pretty easy where as a month ago it was all I had.  I am looking at upping my speed by working on sprint work in the gym - I find running faster safer and easier on a treadmill than on road at this stage - I can keep my form better on the treadmill and I am finding that is then improving my road running

• Looks like a couple of good weeks training there Jedi,

Interestingly I'm on a very similar time frame and trajectory as yourself, considering a 2017 Iron Man with limited swimming experience, however coming at it from the running side rather than cycling, with (among other half's and 10k races) a Marathon planned in as my big race for 2016.

Have also got weight loss goals, but a much smaller (easier?) 15st to 14st target.

However, I feel that my cycling may let me down. I've only managed to fit in 2 half hour sessions on the bikes in the gym in the last month and have no experience of cycling on the road other than as a child many years ago. I think fitting in the cycling will be the biggest issue, as I'm planning on running 4/5 days per week until the marathon and will need to find time to get in the swimming. Will definitely also be looking into some lessons to improve my swimming technique as people have suggested.

I will also need to get hold of a bike, but may dig out my 15-20 year old mountain bike to check that I will even enjoy it at all first!

• good commitment Jedi.... keep up the good work. Every lb off makes it a little easier on the climbs..... nowt wrong with a MTB this time of the year... its time in the saddle that counts at the moment.... getting used to the position of a road bike or a TT can wait..... in fact, if you look about a bit, there is a LOT of fun to be had on an MTB.... and you can get SERIOUSLY muddy!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Good effort on the training Jedi.

For cycling this time of year, it might be worth looking at sufferfest vids for at home, or (as it appears you're a member of a gym) spinning classes. Keeps it interesting rather than spinning endlessly at a set cadence.