Options

Cant get rid of this itch! Another zero – Iron Man post

Comments

• Options
    FerrousTom wrote (see)

Good effort on the training Jedi.

For cycling this time of year, it might be worth looking at sufferfest vids for at home, or (as it appears you're a member of a gym) spinning classes. Keeps it interesting rather than spinning endlessly at a set cadence.

Yeah I have used Graeme Street coaching and his cyclo 90 base videos before - they did help me out.   To be honest I find riding a turbo and watching something quite tough - especially while doing intervals ect.   I tend to watch films or football for the longer low intensity stuff - for the harder sessions I prefer a dark room and headphones lol.  I don't have a power meter or Heart rate monitor so my turbo training is more ad hoc than planned now.  

On British roads you are very rarely able to settle into a gear and a cadence for very long - so I try and replicate that on a Turbo by constantly switching gear and cadence both in and out of saddle - I have kind of made my own little sessions by listening to music and ever time a song changes I change my riding style.  

As soon as the weather improves and I can get rid of my extra weekend job I will be back out with the club anyway - I have an April Lejog to get ready for(and get the other riders ready for) So will be back outside onto my local hill rep asap

• Options
    JD 41 wrote (see)

Looks like a couple of good weeks training there Jedi,

Interestingly I'm on a very similar time frame and trajectory as yourself, considering a 2017 Iron Man with limited swimming experience, however coming at it from the running side rather than cycling, with (among other half's and 10k races) a Marathon planned in as my big race for 2016.

Have also got weight loss goals, but a much smaller (easier?) 15st to 14st target.

However, I feel that my cycling may let me down. I've only managed to fit in 2 half hour sessions on the bikes in the gym in the last month and have no experience of cycling on the road other than as a child many years ago. I think fitting in the cycling will be the biggest issue, as I'm planning on running 4/5 days per week until the marathon and will need to find time to get in the swimming. Will definitely also be looking into some lessons to improve my swimming technique as people have suggested.

I will also need to get hold of a bike, but may dig out my 15-20 year old mountain bike to check that I will even enjoy it at all first!

I wouldn't get hung up on the cycling just yet - with a good base of fitness you will be fine if you start getting the miles in from spring.,   I went from 10 miles to 100 miles on a hybrid at 18stone within 3 months - then a year later I did Lejog.

My biggest advise to you though is to build hill reps in straight away and concentrate on that much more than flat, long rides.   Going up and down hills efficiently (even if your not fast) is crucial to maintaining good average speed over distance and you need to build those climbing muscles - they are pretty isolated muscles and you wont necessarily have them from running - just like im having to build the running specific ones.   Im not fast up hill, because im overweight - but I am very, very efficient and that only comes from practice.   Downhill im as quick as anyone in my club -that makes a big difference on long rides compared to a novice who cant descend safely at speed.

Pick a steep hill - grind up it slowly - come down it - do that again as many times as you can until failure ....then get quicker.   I honestly believe an hour of hill reps is worth more than 5-6 hours flat riding in terms of how much you improve as a newb.

• Options

Great advice about hills Jedi, I haven't been cycling long but in the tris I've done I always seem to overtake people on hills and I can only think it's because I live in the peak district and can't leave the house without going up a hill

• Options

I live in a flat area and its all too tempting as a beginner to ignore hills - I did that for far too long.  You need the long ride experience for fine tuning position, equipment, nutrition and bike maintenance - but I don't believe you get much physical benefit from long base rides - you are testing your core on those rides, but not necessarily building it up.

One reason I entered coast to coast in a day was that it forced me up hills in training - 4500m of climbing over 150 miles was scary enough to force my hand into hill reps .... my cycling has gone from strength to strength since then.  

I was out climbing people on the day and I was easily one of the heaviest riders there - I also found that my long distance ability improved from the base that short hill climb sessions laid.

I have a 10-15% hill me and I spent hours on that thing ... its actually much nicer than long winter base miles as its quicker and keeps you warmer!

This was the kind of ride I was doing in the build up to C2C - Really paid off for me

https://www.strava.com/activities/324400009

• Options
    I'm going to do c2c next summer but over three days with the family
  • Options

Its an amazing route.... You gonna take them over Hardnott and Wrynose or are you going around the North bit?

• Options

My plan is st bees to robin hood's bay, when you did lejog did you do it as part of a group or on your own how long did it take?

• Options

11 and a bit days, solo and unsupported / it was to raise money for cancer charities in memory of a good friend who passed away 10 years before. I raised just over £4K and hope to get another couple for local cancer charities with the group effort next year

My blog is here with my daily write ups if your interested ...
    http://claridgecyclingtocurecancer.com/lejog-daily-diary/day-1-lands-end-to-john-o-groats/

• Options

Cheers for the advice.

Going to have to think hard how to combine this with 5 days of running, as I imagine that for at least the first few times a hill session like that will impact any running the following day. I think in the new year I might start to phase in two rides per week, a shorter session then alternating each week between a long ride and hills for the second session.

Until then and I get a bike sorted (I imagine I will need to get new tyres or inner tubes at least sorted for my old bike) I'll probably just try to hit the bikes in the gym once a week for the rest of the year. Any comments on the best way to train, a particular cadence to aim for, etc.? The two sessions I've done previously have been about half an hour aiming for 90 rpm at what feels like a reasonable speed but relatively comfortable effort, which I would compare to easy running in terms of heart rate, but could feel some fatigue in my legs by the end of the half hour.

• Options

You might be surprised abut your capacity to run and cycle on alternate days - Im finding it better for my body than when I was cycling every day - you are using different muscle groups.

Im no expert on training on a stationairy bike ... but the general consensus around those that are suggests that long base rides at a steady tempo have no tangible benefit over shorter rides at high intensity...so shorter wins for me

Personally I recommend intervals - while constantly changing your gears and cadence.   For me this is the least boring and most effective way I have found.   So basically I do a 10 minute warm up working on high cadence, then I might do some drills where I just pedal with one leg (this really helps you to even out your legs so one does not become dominant without you knowing).....then I will get into the intervals - some of them will be done in an easy gear with really high cadence, some will be done in a really hard gear seated and then I will do the same intervals out of the saddle.

For a bike newb I would say that yes high cadence is the way to protect yourself on long rides, but for training I would recommend getting in a harder gear and grinding out the ride - you are likely to build up those climbing muscles more from this than by spinning an easy gear at a set cadence ....I would say that unless you train on a turbo to the point where you cant continue then you are  not doing it right!

You rarely get to ride slow and steady at a set cadence in Britain - and you pretty much never get to do that in a race or fast group ride - so I like to vary up my riding on the turbo.....and the less time spent on that thing the better.

• Options

Think I may need a couple of days off .... I attempted a run on the treadmill yesterday morning and really struggled.   My shins were quite painful and tight and I couldn't get my self going so I gave up after 10 minutes and went on the rowing machine for a while instead.   Then this morning I tried again and suffered with the same shin issue.  I didn't push it and moved onto the elliptical trainer instead with no issues.

I have had this shin issue before on a treadmill but weirdly I never get this feeling outside.....I am wondering if it is the constant flat gradient of the treadmill that is causing me issues?   Do you guys vary the gradient much when on a treadmill?  I have been doing quite a bit of weight training in the past week which could be the issue...plus I have put in a pretty solid 2 weeks without much of a break so it could just need some rest?  I have a funeral tomorrow so that will be an enforced day off so I will maybe try a ride on Friday and then a run Saturday. 

• Options

If I have to use the treadmill I tend to vary the gradient on the treadmill between flat and 1-2 degrees while running, but only to try and simulate outdoor running more closely.

If your shins hurt try googling "shin splints" and you should get plenty of info, but majority of advice will be to take a rest from running, especially anything downhill which will put more pressure through the shins. From my own experience if you have shin splints you do need the rest for your legs and its not something you can run through.

• Options

@TheRedEyeJedi - if your body is telling you to stop/slow down then do it. Even the Fink plan recommends a day off completely per week. If you've been going at it for 2 weeks, you'll break sooner or later, and the harder you push, the worse you'll break.

As for incline, I _HATE_ running on the treadmill. I only really use it to do intervals as I'd prefer to be outside. I generally set it at 1-2% incline and vary the speed.

@JD41 - if you're new to cycling, or at least haven't done it in a while, and you're going to do it in the gym, then do spinning classes. They are a bit more structured and will keep you from getting too bored. As a rule though, you should get off the bike covered in sweat. I did a spinning class this morning and some of the people around me hadn't even broken sweat. What's the point in that?!

• Options

Weekly log in... weighing in at 17.1 = 1lb loss this week.   Diet has actually been pretty crap by recent standards -  cake and chocolate season at work and I broke eventually and took part ... I had been trying to fast during the day so I have had plenty of calories to play with but I cant carry on eating cake as a lunch substitute!   I think I need to take some protein shake to work so I have something to put in my stomach when I get the craves.   Evening meal has been a pretty huge plate of meat and various boiled, steamed and roasted veg.

Had not run properly since Wednesday morning due to shin pain but the rest seems to have worked as I managed a gentle jog on treadmill this morning with a walk thrown in every 15 minutes with no discomfort.

Exercise log for the week =

Fri - Gym - 1hour of elliptical at high resistance, bench press and upper body stuff

Sat- 5k treadmill at 11.09m/mile (am)  5k treadmill at 10.02m/mile (pm)

Sun- 5k treadmill at 9.59m/mile (pm) various compound weights including bench, squats and deadlifts

Mon- 1hour gym circuit of treadmill, elliptical and rowing with a few weights

Tue- Failed treadmill run due to shin pain - 1 hour elliptical

Wed- Failed treadmill run due to shin pain - 45min eliptical

Thurs- rest

Fri- 1 hour elliptical at increasingly high resistance, leg weights on machines

Sat- (am) 4mile treadmill at 11.09m/mil.   Bench press, dead lifts to failure and squats to failure on machine.

• Options

Jedi why have a protein shake at work when you can eat real food? 

• Options

No reason at all - other than i find a protein shake satisfying and filling - much more than salads ect.  Plus its much quicker and cheaper than other alternatives around me at work.

I could eat normal food at work and often do, there is nothing stopping me.  I am trying to limit the calories I eat during the day as this is a period of 8 sedentary hours where I can easily over eat out of boredom/repetition - So I find it helpful to fast through the day at work and then train fasted straight after work before having a big evening meal. 

Its tough feeling hungry when everyone else is eating cakes ect though!  If I was there alone it wouldn't bother me.

• Options
    TheRedEyeJedi wrote (see)

No reason at all - other than i find a protein shake satisfying and filling - much more than salads ect.  Plus its much quicker and cheaper than other alternatives around me at work.

I could eat normal food at work and often do, there is nothing stopping me.  I am trying to limit the calories I eat during the day as this is a period of 8 sedentary hours where I can easily over eat out of boredom/repetition - So I find it helpful to fast through the day at work and then train fasted straight after work before having a big evening meal. 

Its tough feeling hungry when everyone else is eating cakes ect though!  If I was there alone it wouldn't bother me.

This is the most arse about face approach available. If you're new to this, fuel your workouts or you're not going to get enough work done. Get the work done and you can eat more. 

People come up with so many convoluted ideas. It's not hard. Eat things you can identify the parts of (thanks Lew) and work hard. The rest is important, but only when you're looking for every last inch.

• Options
    I don't disagree with most of what you say - Im overweight because I struggle with having a sensible diet....but equally I'm not exactly on a fad diet here.

I am gonna have periods where I feel hungry and I want to have something at work I can reach for rather than the bad stuff that is everywhere in the office.

If I'm fuelling for a 100 mile ride or a harder run then of course my diet will be different that day and the day before too .....in the summer when I'm on the road bike commuting and then riding in the evening I would bonk if I didn't eat well during the day..

I don't however agree that intermittent fasting or fasted training is a convoluted idea....it's the only way I have ever been able to limit my calories and lose weight - especially in winter where I suddenly stop cycling outside and become less active. I
  • Options

I wrote a long response to this, but I won't bother. I'll just leave the following:

"intermittent fasting.... ...it's the only way I have ever been able to limit my calories and lose weight"

"I broke eventually and took part ... I had been trying to fast during the day so I have had plenty of calories to play with but I cant carry on eating cake as a lunch substitute"

Much like your personal finances, you have a calorific budget. You know this because you said so. Do you really think 'cake and protein shakes' is the healthiest way to spend it?

• Options

No of course not.... but equally I am stuck in an office for 7 days a week at the moment and there is a large amount of bad food around me.   If I was here by myself it would be easier but when I have lunch provided or treats provided by the company it becomes more difficult..  Right now there is a mountain of sweets and cakes on the desk in my sight and at the moment that isn't an issue....but when I am craving that kind of food then the urge will not be satisfied by going to the fridge and eating a plate of super food or lean meat.... A protein shake is sweet tasting and filling and I find it a good way to feel like im having something sweet without actually eating cake.

Im not arguing your logic - you are absolutely right and I can see I am contradicting myself with some of the things I have said...but I also feel your mistaken if you think I am using most of my daily calories on cake and protein shakes.  

• Options

Jedi have a look at racing weight which I think is by Matt Fitzgerald it talks a lot about the 'fad' and I use that term loosely because its the complete opposite of a fad to jerf (just eat real food). 

• Options

Thanks I will check that out.

• Options

Another week down and another half a pound dispensed with.

Most of the week was spent suffering from a pretty nasty head cold given to me by the ittle un'.   That struck on Sunday and luckily I was able to work from home during the week which meant lemsip, staying warm on the sofa and a quicker recovery.

I went back to the gym Wednesday and did a very easy hour on the eliptical, really just to get myself moving after so much sitting down.  I felt fine after that so did bench, squats and dead lifts too.   

I had today booked off as holiday, reserved for Christmas shopping but luckily I had done most of that online.  So with a decent weather forecast I decided to break the road bike out of its recent hibernation.   In total just over 70 miles at 15mph - although with the headwind (which seemed ever present) those miles feel like they would be  worth many more in the summer.   I didnt do enough climbing to feel any real benefit from my recent losses but I did feel really strong all the way around so I think the cross training is having a good impact.

The afternoon was completed with an hours worth of trying to get all the grit, mud and tears back off the bike.

/members/images/889054/Gallery/11140265_10208011447704264_1376705003259742127_n.jpg

/members/images/889054/Gallery/12314051_10208011447864268_5207304795885340075_n.jpg

• Options
    Simo429 wrote (see)

Jedi have a look at racing weight which I think is by Matt Fitzgerald it talks a lot about the 'fad' and I use that term loosely because its the complete opposite of a fad to jerf (just eat real food). 

Curiously I've just read that recently too. Worth a read if you can lend it off someone or scan through it in a Library / Waterstones.

Nothing ground breaking but found it quite motivating. Can be summed up in two sentences simply by:

- eat more natural foods and avoid processed foods, lots of fruit, vegetables and leaner meats, wholewheat rather than white bread/pasta, etc.

- only eat when you are genuinely hungry, so if your not hungry by dinner, eat a smaller lunch, etc.

• Options

Another week down and another .5lb loss ...which takes me to a nice round 17stone.

Christmas works party tonight and I am back in my best suit which last fitted me just prior to Lejog in 2014 ...I couldnt even get the trousers on or buttons done up last Christmas so clear progress there!

Training for the week has been consistent and good...

Friday - 70 mile road ride at 15mph (pretty flat route but the headwinds made it a trial of character!)

Sat - 1 hour of low intensity on elliptical, upper body weights and plenty of stretching

Sun- 7.8 mile run at 13min/mile (actually more of a post-roast dinner jog, shuffle , walk - was still feeling the bike ride from Friday in my legs)

Monday - 30 minute high intensity turbo session

Tuesday- 5k Treadmill at 10.37/mile.   Leg weight session, freeweights and machines

Wednesday-10k Treadmill at 11.26min/mile (think that's my quickest to date) + decent upper body weight session

Thursday- 20min treadmill at 10kmph, 20 min intervals at high resistance on elliptical, 15 minutes HIiT intervals on the spin bike

Definitely ready for a rest day today which will involve alcohol at the works party - luckily im working tomorrow so that will limit my intake!   I have next Tuesday off work and plan a long bike ride if the weather isn't too terrible ... Would also like to get a longer run in this week.

All in very happy - clothes are fitting again and I generally feel the fittest I have been for some time.  

• Options

Very chuffed with 100 miles today in a smidge over 6 hours at 16.5mph average .... Pretty dull route as there was fog/mist/rain about I just looped around close to home ....Spent most of the time looking at the garmin and doing maths! I had a load of podcasts to catch up on so iPhone on speaker in pocket helped too.   First century on my new bike and the extra comfort of a steel frame over mt previous aluminium really is considerable - as is the effectiveness of disc brakes in the wet.

It turned into a bit of a time trial in the last 30 miles as I realised 6 hours was on the cards half way through - I needed just over 18mph for the last hour and missed out by 3 minutes despite a last ditch sprint and some horrible cramp there after! Still very pleased with my fastest ever solo 100 miler on a dull day in December - had bike packing gear on the bike and was wrapped up pretty warm so that all extra weight.   Switching to running and weights is definitely making more of an impact on my cycling than just slogging through the winter on the bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/450553861

• Options

Well done Jedi!!!

You seem to be right into things at the moment, I am just getting myself kicked into gear again and putting some training plans together.

Without sounding rude, I think you should spend a bit of time looking at your diet. Its seems you should be loosing more than you are with the training you are doing. From what you say it seems like you a bit all over with eating.

I would suggest planning you meals and having at least 3 meals a day, ideally having a larger amount of calories earlier in the day. Is it possible you are fasting, so your metabolism is slowing down by a large amount and then you are having a huge (even though healthy components) meal which your body is storing as fat because it doesn't know when its next meal is coming. You are much better off eating small regular healthy meals, rather than 1 meal 

• Options
    Wannabe Iron Alex wrote (see)

Well done Jedi!!!

You seem to be right into things at the moment, I am just getting myself kicked into gear again and putting some training plans together.

Without sounding rude, I think you should spend a bit of time looking at your diet. Its seems you should be loosing more than you are with the training you are doing. From what you say it seems like you a bit all over with eating.

I would suggest planning you meals and having at least 3 meals a day, ideally having a larger amount of calories earlier in the day. Is it possible you are fasting, so your metabolism is slowing down by a large amount and then you are having a huge (even though healthy components) meal which your body is storing as fat because it doesn't know when its next meal is coming. You are much better off eating small regular healthy meals, rather than 1 meal 

I have lost the best part of 2 stone in recent months but you are right - my weight loss is slow going and my diet isn't right.   I would openly say I have not been depriving myself though the festive season, and I have been doing extra training to make up for some of the crap I have eaten....that clearly isnt the most efficient way of doing things.   I have been doing a considerable amount of strength work though and I can feel a real difference in my clothes - I do naturally build muscle pretty quick so I do think there have been gains there that are  not being reflected on the scales.

I am having a change of work hours after Christmas that should give me more time to prepare food to take in  - hopefully that should make an impact.   Generally December is a write off for me because of drinking/eating so im pretty chuffed with just staying the same weight this year.   I have never trained through December as solidly as I have this year.   Pretty exited that I have a decent base to go into January with, rather than in recent years where I spent the month drinking, eating and smoking.

Managed my fastest 5 mile run to date last night at 11.16/mile...which also included my best 5k to date(34.39).    Could have been quicker too but my knee felt a bit weak after Tuesdays century ride so I took the first mile or two pretty easy.  Once I loosened up I felt really good- can not believe how mild it is out there at the moment

• Options

While I suspect Alex is right, imho, losses are losses, and you're going in the right direction.... slow loss is better than no loss!

You are also getting lots of training in, so your cardio fitness should be improving steadily.... 

All good stuff.,.. just keep going!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Well done on the 2 stone, I hadn't realised you had lost as much as that.

Yeah its true losses are losses and your training is clearly going well and your staying focused which is the main thing.

What are you targeting for 2016?