Options

MK marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    How is everyone's training going. Coming to the end of the first phase of my PD 55 to 70 mile plan. Missed three runs so far due to family reasons my daughter'a christening. But otherwise on target. Not making the mistake of doubling up or running on rest days to make up miles that I did in the past.
  • Options

Hi Surrey runner- I've had a easy Dec/Steady Jan/And now a busy Feb. Have a bit of hip/back problem so on the Tablets. Watford half this Sunday which I just want to go steady on. Have been doing a mixture of training inc spinning/light weights and then do a hill session and boom injury occurs. 

Oh well no point moaning a few stretches/pills and I'll b at the gym tomorrow for another spinning session!!!!

• Options

From experience I would be wary of too many hill sessions.  Puts a lot of strain on the lower legs.  MK is supposed to be as flat as it gets anyway.

• Options

I think u might be right ref hill sessions. Every time I do that or track sessions I seem to get injuries.

did an easy stationery bike at gym today instead of spinning as I have Watford half tomorrow. i think. Have trapped nerve as pain in back going to lower leg. 

On antiinflamontery pills and painkillers. Going to take it very steady tomorrow just want to get 13m under the belt. 

• Options

Iv gone off my too fast and hard as usual and hit 20miles on my long run last week. Hip was a little bit sore and knees hurt for 24hrs but i eased off yesterday and just did a 7.5 mile run round my local area. 

Still i'm going to use it to my advantage and run a full 26.2 before my taper so that i know where about's i should be.

• Options
    Wow that's good going Neil

I'm building up slowly. Did Watford HM yesterday and paced it really well for once. I don't step up to serious mileage for another 2 weeks. Longest run will be 20m at a mixture of steady and MP.

Keep it going
  • Options

Iv booked for the Hillingdon HM but not so sure if im going to be able to do it because of change to my work situation. Always nice to get that "real race" situation going so that you can dodge and weave through people again. I havent done any events this year and i need that.

Today is a rest day but perversely i want to go out and fight the elements so i might do a lil ten mile thing after work.

Still also not quite sure how to get to the MK marathon. Is the stadium easy to get to? i imagine theres going to be road closures and im coming from Oxford with proberbly the wife droping me off. Wish there was a shuttle bus.

• Options

How is it all going people. 

I did my longest run today 15m bit windy out there but it was mild. Training has gone really well so far with a mixture of road/trails/spinning classes 

haven't yet booked car park space yet going to look into that this week. Booked berkhamstead HM and probably going to do Richmond HM. I'm lucky that I live near Hemel where gade running club put on special LSR for people doing a spring marathon. Only £5 entry on the day a marshalled scenic route with hot drinks and cake at end. 17m this Sunday and 20m on 27th March if any one is interested 

happy running everyone

• Options

I am looking forward to my first marathon.  

I registered for MK last December.  At the time I had a goal but that has now been shelved.  That was because when I ran the Watford half last month, I had problems with a clicking hip on one side and a sore hip on the other upsetting my sense of coordination which led to having to stop a number of times in the last two miles and try stretches in an attempt to get the machinery working again.  I ended up jogging in rather sheepishly at 1:43 with a great loss of confidence.  

And my losses have continued, in a financial sense after a couple of visits to a physio.  

But hope remains of some personal success.  Last Sunday, I completed 17 miles, that making 42 for the week.  Unfortunately, work and family have reduced my opportunity to train this week but I shall still manage to do parkrun in the morning and then a long slow one Sunday morning.  Call this one of those rest weeks.

Progress is being made but I am under no illusions.  This marathon business is anything but easy.  So now my goal is to finish and be enthusiastic about my next run, whatever it may be. 

• Options

Senorb- 1:43 is a great HM time and puts you in with a chance of 3:40 marathon time. Not sure if you would be happy with that i know I would!!!

im doing the Gade 20m run this Sunday which is a well organised race for people training for spring marathon it's not a race a such but is marshalled, and brilliant organised. 

My trainng has gone very well last 6 weeks, hoping for a 3:45 marathon if possible.

• Options

Hello Stephen, 

My disappointment with the !:43 HM was because I thought I could beat 1:40.  Not a massive difference in the two times but even without the day's hip problems, I still might have missed that time.  But I have my toys back in the pram now.

The biggest concern about the HM affair was to have my race scuppered by physical peculiarities.  Getting over these now but something else will crop up.  Kind of inevitable I suppose in a relative running novice (since July 2014) who will be 50 next year.

My original target time for MK was 3:30.  However, I think pursuing a time on race day in my first marathon would be a recipe for disaster so my target is to enjoy the experience.

Enjoy Gade.  I have had to modify my day's training programme after a Saturday of parkrun, girlfriend and wine.  Today will be a gentle 7 miles and the long one will be tomorrow night - all being well with children and work.  I do fear flexibility of approach is not especially ideal for marathon training.

I shall find out in six weeks.

• Options

Hi all! Would like to sell my place for the MK Marathon (2 May) 2016.

Got injured and may not be around next year this time to defer it to.

Original price £42, happy to let it go for £30! image

• Options

Got my parking sorted.  In the park and walk section as now vip left.

14 miles at 709 pace last night (last 7 below 7 min pace) and a 5 mile recovery this am.  After this week only one more week of full training before taper.

• Options

Brilliant running Surrey runner. I haven't looked at parking yet, did you have to pay for your parking. Last time I parked in a side street about 10min walk away. 

I completed Gade 20m a couple of weeks back and was pleased with time and how I felt. Have been doing a mixture of tempo/steady/hill training last 2 weeks and have got Oakley 20m this coming Sunday. After this weekend I will decide if I step down slightly for my last long run or do a 20/22 at a very steady pace.

just want to avoid injury now

• Options

Am on the pd 55 to 70 plan.  Doing a tempo run tomorrow than 17 on Saturday.  There is a final 20 mile in the programme the week after.  Last few weeks have had more tempo, intervals and marathon pace long runs as I try and improve my speed.

i haven't done any races this year as I don't want to cause an injury.  

what I find hardest is the mid week 14/15 mile runs.  Doing these after work can be a bit tiresome.  

• Options

Last week started well with Monday night doing eleven miles with the middle eight at a happy 7:50 per mile.

Wednesday and over 19 miles at an easy pace just under three hours.  Longest run ever.  Next day felt great.  Felt full of myself and was tempted into playing first football in ages and an over enthusiastic stretch toward the end made my groin go ouch.   Body normally hurts somewhere and I scored some goals and it was fun.

Good Friday morning and slow 4.5 miles but I felt rather sweaty at the end. Surprised too.  

And then it came during the afternoon.  A flu bug.  A persistent one at that.  It immobilised me but I am starting to come through.  Today I was able to jog along with my children as they went to and around a local park.  Barely three miles with time halfway while they played but my legs started to complain and I still needed an afternoon nap later.

Shall play golf tomorrow.  A hilly walk should be good and ages since I played.

Intend to do parkrun but with little attention to time.

Now bug is subsiding, football groin is making itself known. Ummm ibuprofen.

A month until the marathon and the challenge becomes greater.  Just one more glass of wine before bed.

• Options

Senorb- sounds tiered just reading all you have done!!! Too many sports????

You will be fine, I'm off to gym tomorrow then LSR Sunday 20m. Just need to come up with a plan on how best to run it. It's odney 20m very hilly but great route and good company doing it. I'm thinking first 12m nice and easy, then final 8 increase pace per mile with last 4/5 at MP. Going to test out gear/ drinks/gels etc. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

My MK Marathon might be a PW doing London the weekend before and a 24 hour race 4 days after MK image

loving the hoodie n tshirt I got for being an ambassador for the race. image

So if anyone is in get around and just survive mode then I might be plodding along with you at the back image might go with old faithful run 4 minutes / walk 1 minute plan image

• Options
    Did 18.5 this morning instead of 17 due to a navigation error. It was noticeably hotter this morning on the Thanes Path which slowed me down. Will have to hope I can get acclimatised to running in the heat in the last few weeks of training.
  • Options

Still working at shaking off effects of last weekend's flu virus.

Plodded out 5.3 miles.  Felt great afterwards to be starting back but jealous of all you healthy bunnies.

• Options

Great 20m run today for me at Oakley. Very undulating course but kept to my plan of steady first 12miles then 8min last 8. Came in with a time of 2hrs 49min, so happy with that. Drinks/gels/breakfast and clothes all good, so happy with that.

now for a real mixture of training for next four weeks. Going to do at least 4/5 runs at MP to get my body used to the effort but also mix up with easy/gym and steady.

how did everyone else get on?

has everyone sorted parking (not me????)

• Options

Last 20 mile run done.  Five longest runs this campaign add up to 102.7 miles.  Ready for taper.

• Options

Well done Surrey runner my last long run is tomorrow going to do 18/22 depending on how I feel. Then 3 x12/14m runs at MP during last 3 weeks to build confidence with easy runs in between. Just hoping tomorrow goes ok.

• Options

Well Stephen and Surrey, reading about your preparation leaves me feeling wholly inadequate.  But I am going to cling onto the flu virus excuse.

This week's trudge to recovery started on Monday with a slow, almost painful 9 miles. Legs were tired from the start.  Wednesday was 10 miles with middle 6.5 miles at 7.50 pace.  An enormous effort.  Friday was a little bit of hill work with some faster sections over 7.2 miles.  I say faster but I don't have the sensation of speed in my legs.  

Anyway, this week's three runs sum to the magical total.  The intention is tomorrow for a long and slow of about 17-18 miles with some hills.  As additional preparation, no drink tonight.  And next weekend I will finally have a run of 20 miles. Perhaps better late than never.

Good job I had abandoned all thought of chasing a time before the flu.  No, just chasing the experience and the eventual finish line.   Glory doesn't suit me anyway.

• Options

Hi Senorb, u will b fine. If I was u I wouldn't aim for 20 next weeken if u r doing long one this weekend. 16/18 max or 14 with some at MP. I believe last few weeks is about quality runs and some at MP for whole or some of run. The body needs to get used to race pace. I should know cause this is what normally lets me down!!!!

let us know how u get on. Good luck everyone with LSR tomorrow, I'm jealous Surrey runner has already done it.

• Options

All very true Stephen, but my longest run is 19.25 miles and that was difficult and I had no excuse.  I think I need to do 20 miles for the psychological benefit.

I am genuinely unsure of my target MP.  Having no objective as a finishing time and an imperfect preparation, I think I will be happy if I can plod along in a little under 9 minute miles. Best without the pressure.

• Options

Probably OK to do 20 miles next weekend Senorb.  My programme has me doing a 17 mile run at the end of the first week of taper, then a 13 mile the week after.

I like to do my long runs on Saturday morning rather than Sunday for family reasons.  Gives me a nice lie in on Sunday morning. 

• Options

Different families Surrey.  For family reasons, my long runs tend to be late Sunday afternoon.  And I appreciate your judgement on my 20 mile ambition.

Next Saturday morning, I will get the chance the chance to run so I will do the parkrun which is always fun and running there and back adds warm up and recovery miles.

One great thing about our MK race is the fact that it is on a Monday.   So after a fairly long run on the Sunday, we will have 8 days to gather energy.  A bonus not to be sniffed at.

• Options

19.3 completed today and I managed to stay just over 9min miles so got just under 3hrs running in the bank. Had a good run in near perfect conditions and drink/gel worked well. 

Only thing left is some MP runs to see if I'm up for it on day. I think 8min miles might be too much and might have to try that in Berlin if I have good summer training. Going to see how next 2 weeks go, most importantly need to stay healthy and training-eating well. 

Hope everyone else ok this weekend

• Options
    Currently showing a 36% chance of rain on the long range forecast. Just hope the weather isn't like the first MK marathon in 2012.