MK marathon 2016

Comments

• ?????????????????????????? any one of these!!!'
  • It is decided.

Next Sunday, I must run at least 20 miles.  Last night I ran 17.5 miles and the last few miles were very slow and painful.  Painful around groin, left hip and top of the front of the thighs.  Shower, beer, ibuprofen and massage and it was still hurting coming sleep time.  I could not be bothered to watch the golf.

I am lucky though.  I woke up feeling fine.  The 45 minute drive to work made me feel sensitive but I got over it and last night's fears of having injured myself were not realised.

Not sure I should undertake any speed work but can I resist parkrun Saturday morning?  And so much discipline to exercise by running slowly up until now and May 2nd.  Not as much discipline as probably having to run slower than 9 minutes miles on the day itself.   Trudging is a trudge.

Having to use this as motivation:

https://www.justgiving.com/Sean-Bailey2?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20160411_70371

Disgruntled I cannot upload my powerpoint that I will be using in the school in which I work.

• Senorb- big risk running another 20m if u r feeling pain in my opinion. However u must do what u feel is right. i would have thought a good 14m at good pace might b a better target.

surrey runner my different pictures didn't come out LOL hence the ?

heavy rain will not be good however long rain forecast not always accurate. 

Keep running

• Hello Stephen,

Before training for this marathon, I had never run further than 13 miles.  During this training, as I hit each new landmark of 15, 17, 19 miles, I was afflicted by thigh, hip and groin pain during the final stages.  That discomfort started later each time.

So in my spirit of optimism, I think 20 miles wil help educate my tender parts so that they are better able to work at MK.

I work very much on theory Stephen.  When I first wrote here, I thought that you and I would be almost starting and finishing together.  Not any more though,

• Senorb- what time are you hoping for? May be reply to that after this weekends running. I'm now away on work duties so am missing my usual Tuesday night run and will be drinking instead. I know not great but may be breaking away from the norm will be good in the long run.

hoping to get out tomorrow even if it is for an easy 3/4m run. 

I am going to try and go for an 8min mile plan for MK even though I don't think I will manage it all way round. I'm thinking first 4miles 8:20/8:30 then hopefully get into stride. Give it a go and see what happens. 

• Well Stephen, when I signed up for the race in December, I had 3:30 as my mad target time.  But after Watford Half being ruined by hip and thigh problems and being obliged to stop many times to stretch etc in last couple of miles and a slow jog in at 1:43, I abandoned all ideas of a target.

After that, as I improved with training, I dared to think that beating 3:45 would be very achievable but after the flu and football groin strain that too has been ditched.

The truth is I have no target but I would be disappointed if I did not beat 4:00 even though I am yet to go beyond 20 miles.  Seems faintly ridiculous having a target when essentially it will be a voyage into the unknown.

Enjoy your drink tonight.  I enjoyed one last night.  Running is a way of getting away from the drink a bit so tonight I shall be dry and take on an easy 6 miles or so.

• 12 miles at 7min pace tonight. Felt fine.
  • Impressive Surrey.

7 miles doing laps of a very lumpy field at about 8:45 pace.  Hip and groin remain tender but no drama.

• Senorb,

Best to focus on a target, even if you are uncertain if what you can achieve. Gives you something to aim at.
  • Well late night out last night with work. Early start today (with slight hangover) but also early finish. Went for a easy 4m run to clear head and stretch legs. All good although legs felt heavy and bit of headache. 

Thats the final drinking night out now until after marathon, I've got two leaving dues coming up but I'm going tea total, not good at this drinking and running????????????

• Good 10m run today, nice and I say to start with then went a bit faster. Only problem is my arch says I averaged 8:55 and I thou I was going a bit faster. I think based on the training I have done my 3:30 target is going to have to change.

I'm thinking start of attempting 3:45 then at mile 10 make a decision. My brain says this is the correct attitude my heart says easy first 4m then gradually lift pace and go for it.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Oops - all the race numbers are wrong are they are having to reprint and resend them all!

https://twitter.com/mk_marathon/status/720941082951987201

• I think the numbers are correct however the starting zone is wrong. Means you might be starting at back when you should be at front. Will be interesting to c what they do. I'm not too bothered if I start near back as its not the biggest field and might feel good overtaking people rather than being overtaken????????
  • Got my running pack and instead of being in the red start I have been put in the green start at the back. Not sure to laugh or cry. It will be interesting to see what they do, apart from sending new numbers out I'm not sure what they can do. 

• Everyone has been given a green start. We are going to all line up together!
  • Read a post on Facebook that all running numbers being sent out Monday and to destroy old numbers. Haven't rec an email to confirm this.

• Now I have read a new post and we are going to get stickers to go on top of the zone that is on the running number. Not sure which solution is correct!!!!!

• Don't destroy your number. they say they are sending out stickers with the correct start colours Next week.

The numpties also put full names on the numbers instead of just first names.

Did 17 miles this morning.

• Good running Surrey runner- I'm working this weekend so I'm doing short run tomorrow, spinning Monday, then mid long run Tuesday. That's the plan at the moment???? Kept hold of my number, see what comes in the post!!!!
  • Thursday evening was 5.5 miles with a quicker (7:00 mile pace) section for about 2 miles in the middle.  I was uncomfortable at hip and groin afterwards.  Rest was to be the best policy.  

When I woke this morning, the rest was going to continue but the sunshine made me put my trainers on.  I thought I would perhaps do a timid 4 or 5 miles at about 8:50 pace but as I moved along I got infected with the joy of running.  I ended up running 10 miles and even with a slow first one and a half, it was at 7:53 pace. Fun, rewarding and without physical punishment.  Not very useful for marathon training but I have discovered that as well as being hard, marathon training is so time consuming. Oh, and did I say hard too?

I suppose I will have to do a longer run in the next few days. Let's see if I like that one too.

• Yellow start for me. Only the elite have the red start.
  • I'm yellow as well, happy with that.

Good running senorb- I did a easy 4m yesterday before work now off to spinning class. Got my Lsr tomorrow 10m hopefully with some at MP.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Hi all - sorry to gatecrash your marathon thread at this late stage. Long story but I had to pull out of the Manchester Marathon 2 weeks ago at mile 10 with a dodgy knee and a virus - physio has sorted the knee and I've slept the virus off and now I've got a set of legs which are ready to run a marathon!

I'm thinking of doing MK and I've got until 10pm on Sunday to sign up - just had a quick question on whether or not its likely to sell out before Sunday? The reason for waiting is that I'd like to see how the knee goes this week - I did 17 miles (with a 10km paced parkrun in the middle) at the weekend and 8 miles last night feeling fine so its looking good.

Thanks!

• Welcome AWC I'm not sure it gets full up but Sunday might be for logistical reasons. I would leave it until you have done your final long run either sat or sun. If you have done prep for Manchester and a recent 17, I think you will be fine.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Thanks Stephen - I'm planning on doing my final long run of 13 miles on Saturday and as long as things feel ok after that I will sign up (although I may get excited and sign up sooner!).

• Went for a 7m run today, not my best as the speed doesn't seem to be there as I would like.

was originally hoping for between 3:30/3:40 time but I'm now doubting myself and am thinking that 3:45/4:00 would be more realistic.

going gym tomorrow then with running club Thursday night. After my Thursday run going to make final decision and start to get my mind in place for race day.

AWC- good idea just t enter you must have been disappointed about manchester, I hear it is meant to be a good marathon. At least you have this one to look forward too so all the training is not wasted.

how is everyone else getting on in last few days.

• Stephen,

Don't worry about speed on these last few training runs. they should be at a relaxed pace. Not a slow shuffle but easy.
  • Tomorrow night I intend to do a slow 16-18 miles. And I mean slow.  Most of me feels fine but after my last run, a toe which has had a black nail for a few weeks is feeling bruised.  So that will be getting taped and I shall avoid hills as best I can and hope not to bash it.  Ibuprofen may play a role too.

Despite wishing to run long tomorrow, I believe running is going to have little impact on what I do at MK.  My most important training is going to be some core work and rest.

So unlike me to go for the easy option!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Stephen: yes Manchester was very disappointing. It's was all very confusing at the time but I'm over it now and with the prospect of doing MK I'm feeling a lot more positive about my running. As Surrey says take it easy now as you're not going to increase your fitness any before race day by running hard now.

5 recovery miles with a few strides last night with no problems thankfully.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Yikes they've changed the deadline to Friday at midnight so no chance to do my last long run before deciding - guess I'm just going to have to take a flyer on it.