MK marathon 2016

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    4.5mi trail race tonight with no issues - running through mud is definitely a lot tougher than road running!
  • Before I went to bed last night, I risked a peek at my toe with the black toenail.  It was worth looking because though there was blood, the apparent bruising was much reduced as was the discomfort.

I taped it to its neighbour tonight before going out for a run.  A very successful strategy.  It was not noticeable.  I ran 18 miles on a fairly hilly route faster than I intended (8:43) but I am pleased with how it went.  Helped my confidence.

Probably only three more fairly short easy runs until MK now.  

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Wow sensorb that's a big run this close to the race what's your target for the race?
  • Well AWC, in December when I signed up I dreamed of 3:30 but various hiccups along the way made me ditch that idea and almost abandon all idea of a target other than to finish unharmed.

I never have run further than 19 miles. Flu and bits scuppered that intention. I could have quite happily last night but not much further.

Anyway, last night I decided the answer to the question is 3:50 which makes last night at about race pace.

How about you?

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

sensorb: based on last night's run you look in good shape for 3:50 - depends how many 19 milers you have done I guess becuase when you get to the 20 mile mark that's where those long runs come into their own. But if you felt good at 19 miles last night then on race day at that pace you should feel even better with the crowds etc, so that bodes well for you.

I actually have no idea what my target is yet. I trained for 3:10 at Manchester but got injured blah blah blah. I'll have tapered for 6 weeks when MK arrives and I've no idea how the knee will hold up. My PB is 3:30 so anything under that I will be happy with given recent events - I'll just be ecstatic to finish! If I feel good on race day I'll probably set off at 3:15 pace and see how it goes.

Think I'm going to go off and enter now before it fills up...

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

So I've entered - see you all at the start line image

• AWC- well done on entering, this could be a good surprise marathon for you.

well done Senorb on your last long run you look like your in for a good time.

i did my last hard run tonight straight after work a tough 5.6m trail undulating run.

pleased with overall time and fact that I put in some 8min miles averaged 8:12 for whole run. Now important 9 days of easy runs, good eating and rest where possible.

im going to go for the 3:30 time and will start of with 8:15/8:30 for first 4miles and hopefully take it on from there. If I blow up at 20m hopefully I can still come in with a good time.

Has anyone received there stickers for there numbers yet?

does anyone want to meet up befo hand?

does anyone fancy running together on day?

happy running 

• Well done AWC.  At your speed, I don't expect to see you at MK except for a brief flash of your back.

Stephen, I will be delighted to shake your hand beforehand but I intend to be disciplined and go off at 8:40 / 8:50 pace and see how it goes.  Remember, I have never run 20 miles so I shall be cautious.  Or plain scared.

Nevertheless, after a long fairly brisk run last night and a long day at work, I do feel well.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Stephen: nice trail run - I find they really help with road running and make it feel a bit easier. I did a trail race last night with plenty of gravel, mud and hills which was great fun although my legs are feeling it a bit today.
  • Last LSR completed 10.2miles at a gentle pace. now for a few more runs and plenty of food!!!!

im in my running club masters league on Monday night- going to do 1500m and part of the 4x100m relay???? Not going to go mad but will be good to stretch legs on a short distance. Tuesday easy 4m,Wednesday easy 5.5m, nothing Thursday and Friday, Saturday easy 5m with running club and Sunday nothing!!!!

still haven't received my sticker for running number apart from that it's all systems go!!!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Stephen: I'd take it a bit easy on those club runs. You don't want to risk a tweaked muscle or worse. I've pulled muscles doing strides and VO2max sessions before.

13.1 miles this morning for me at 8:06/mi this morning. Knee feels stiff, tight but ok - it's seems more quad related than IT Band. Anyway if I can manage 7:50/mi on race day I'll PB by 5 mins - can defer my place until Friday but think I'll go for it even though it's miles off my Manchester target.
  • So AWC, are you one of those fit young things or do you have past athletic glory we would all be jealous of.  For perspective, I am 48 and before 47, I had never done anything.

Stephen, your taper seems intense to me but perhaps that says more about me than you.  The way it is mapped out with competitive and club activity.

But perhaps I am hasty in my judgement.  Circumstances have not allowed me to run since Wednesday so I am really hopeful of running tomorrow night night.  I expect to get over excited and do some miles too quickly.  More gentle excursions on Tuesday and Thursday.  In each case 5-7 miles.  Add the numbers and it could be more than yours Stephen!  See what happens.

• Hi guys, don't worry my Monday run is only short and I won't bust a gut. My other runs will be short and sweet and very slow.

i don't like to taper too much as I like to keep to a usual pattern if poss. 

Senorb 7:50 per mile looks good I wish I was in that bracket.

looking forward to watching LM tomorrow and football so a very relaxing day

• Stephen, 7:50 a mile was for a 10 mile run.  A very pleasant one.  But MK will be more like 8:50.  

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    sensorb: fit young thing? You must be thinking of someone else! I'm 36 and only been running for 2 years so all this marathon stuff is a bit new to me having only done my first last October. I tend to keep the intensity up but shorten the distances in a taper although this is all a bit weird being in my 5th week of taper. I'm following the final 2 weeks of my plan again which is 43 miles this week and 25 pre race next week. With the BH race, next week is an 8 day week so I'll take 2 rest days instead of 1.

I'm feeling a bit sore and weak after yesterday's 13 miles although that may be more to do with the battering I gave my quads with the foam roller last nigh - I've got a huge knot in one of my lateral quad muscles and its refusing to budge easily and I think it's playing a part in my knee issues.
  • AWC, from this side of the hill, 36 is young!  You have certainly put in the mileage. 43 miles on a taper week. 43 has been my heaviest mileage for any week.  My body and my timetable would not allow much more.  You will surely get your reward.

Seven days to go and the excitement is starting to build.  Yesterday was my the start of being alcohol free in preparation for the event.  Last night, I got out and did 7 tempo miles (7:40 pace) and enjoyed them.  Noticed that the sniffle I have has brought with it a smoker's lungs.  However, though it made breathing less comfortable than it should be, it will surely have gone in the next few days so that I arrive at the start line in happy condition.

Tomorrow evening, I hope to do a light jog.  No puppy dog enthusiasm.  Calm and discipline.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Thanks sensorb: 44 miles in the end last week as I finished yesterday with 7 miles with 2.5mi @MP (revised MP that is of 7:30/mi) which felt really comfortable and my knee feels fine today - yay! Let's hope it does pay off.

Hopefully the sniffle disappears. That's a nice tempo as well although not sure I'd be feeling too hot after 7 miles at threshold pace so if you are feeling good at that pace then you look in good shape. And yeah keep it calm now for the next week!

Too early for a weather check? Anyway BBC say dry, light cloud and light breeze.

• Taper week started, we'll sort of watched the London marathon yesterday and had a chill out day. Tonight went to the track for  running club. Competed in the 100m (came last) 400m (came 6th) and the 1500m (came 7th out of 14) 

then we finished 3rd in the 100m relay. Overall great fun with the worst event the 400m which was really hard. Feeling good and will now take it easy with some easy runs planned.

AWC I think you are going to have a good race u seem to be running well.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Good work Stephen although a 100m race is my idea of hell - couldn't think of anything worse! And the hassle of getting kitted out for 15s of running!
  • Hi AWC- I don't think I will do a 100m race again as I'm bloody terrible at it!!!

400m really hard however 1500m pretty good. 

Went for easy run yesterday 3m and today 4.2m easy. Legs feel tight and now the mind is playing tricks about how long ago last long run was. Need to get my mind right and look at all the good training I've done in past. No running for me until sat which will be a very social 5.5m run and then pub (no drinking) with Striders friends. Most of them have done there marathon either Brighton or London, 6 of us doing MK. 

How is everyone else feeling, how is training going.

• Hi guys, not checked in here for a while...

Had a good (for me) run at Oakley a few weeks ago - 2:25 - but not really run since due to a very sore left heel - it still is.

However I've kept the fitness going with cycling, including a hilly time trial which was super-hard - I figure my heart and lungs don't know whether I'm running or cycling.

What do folk think about a Parkrun on the Saturday before? I thought it might be a good 'sharpener' before race day...?

Your input most welcome image

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Willy: parkrun is fine if you don't get carried away and keep the pace at recovery pace i.e. MP plus 90s. I never do parkrun as I can't resist the urge to race (even though it isn't a race!). I included a parkrun 11 miles into my 17 miler the weekend before last - told myself on the line I was doing it at MP. Ended up about 30s slower thna my PB...oops

• I would not go anywhere near a parkrun on Saturday but that also says much about me and my needs.

Last night, I ran 10k that included some easy going hills and woodland trails.  It was nice and when I came out of the woods, it started to snow.  I went a bit faster than advisable because of having to collect my children afterwards, feed and ferry them etc.

Tomorrow, I may jog about 3 miles in my local park and then the next time I pull on my trainers will be Monday.

Great not to be dreading the prospect.

• Thanks guys - think I'll give Parkrun a miss - the idea of running 5k slowly doesn't appeal much. A brief run Friday evening then a weekend with my feet up will sort it...

• Wind and rain forecast for the 2nd. Looking more and more like 2012.....
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Pretty strong winds as well!

• Tuck in behind a big bloke is my plan...

• Just done 4.5 miles (mostly around woodland).  Next time I run it will be in MK.

Hoping the weather forecast is typically wrong, especially as far as the wind is concerned.  Weather underground says it will be dry anyway!

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

I'm not running but hoping it stays dry - the route goes past my local pub, last year I came out to watch and there were loads of people sitting out in the beer garden in front cheering on the runners, created a really good atmosphere. If it rains I can't see many people doing the same this year which would be a shame.

• Hi everyone

Looking forward to lining up on Monday as long as I can get my foot feeling a bit better - it's probably annoyed at the lack of running all of a sudden. I am too!

If its raining where do I put my number if  want to wear a jacket - which I may well want to undo/remove? They say the number has to be visible at all times?