MK marathon 2016

12346»

Comments

Very hot and was over heating by halfway.  Had to stop twice in the last 7 miles with a stitch. Had to beg water of spectators.

MK is not flat!

• Well done senorb good time and good experience

I had a poor race in terms of trying to hit PB

Very hot at start which I wasn't expecting- Good first 6m at 8m pace then for some reason I felt rubbish really poor. Tried to get gels and drink down and then really bad stomach cramps. Only way forward was to go slower and walk hills. Got home in 3:47 (chasing 3:30) was sick at end and fainted-bashed head. Now got nice big lump at back of head and was bleeding feel shit.

At home wife looking after me (not happy) sipping water and going to try a few crisps

Stomach still very dodgy feel like I have given everything

I need to fin a replacement for gels and isotonic drinks that will stop me getting leg cramps but not make my stomach poor.

Halfway time of 1hr 49 so nearly 2hours last half. Will wait for official results

Got Berlin in September which migh be my last road marathon unless I can sort myself out.

I think it's my training that's letting me down but boy do I hate gels
  • Before today, I had never had more than 2 gels in one day. Unsurprisingly I felt nauseous returning home. An aspect of marathon I am not keen on.

My onset of cramps coincided exactly with reaching what had previously been my longest run. All in my mind?

Good luck with the head Stephen and still a respectable time. Yours is not shabby either Surrey. But is there really a flatter course than ME?
  • Home in 3:30 but my Strava says 3:26

Very pleased

• On another note im happy with my own gels of SIS caffine based ones and the High 5 ones they gave us. I proberbly nailed about 6 of them as i went round and keep sipping water, My only complaints about today was the invisible pacers who had only orange tops or balloons to identify them to me. Most other professional marathons they were those big flag type things.

The run itself was nice and flat and the organisation excellent in the holding area's. Thank you and well done to everyone involved!!!

• CK2CK2 ✭✭

managed a PB in 3.27! first marathon without any gels...I used dates and raw fruit bars to get me round with 3 cliff shot blocks from a pack of 5. I have an issue with gels just being too sweet for me to keep eating so trained with real food and made all the difference!

• CK2 well done great time. I might try your tactics instead of gels. I haven't eaten yet and stomach cramps have only started to go!!'

Neill- great time I agree about pacers but wouldn't call MK flat. Shows u had a good time.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone! What a hot and windy day - I'm sunburnt

3:55 in the end for me - almost pulled out after 8 miles like Manchester. Pain in my knee, feelings of exhaustion, sky high heart rate etc but I toughed it out and got to the end just about in one piece! Still not sure how I made it to the end - there were times when I was running but couldn't actually feel my legs and other times when I could feel such pain in them!

Feels like I've well and truly buried the demons of that DNF at Manchester - thank you Milton Keynes image
  • Well done AWC, sometimes it's the hard runs that you should be really proud of. I'm with you I could easily have done half instead of full but just convinced my mind to keep going. My only really bad mile was near the end and that bloody last hill.
  • Nader - looked on this thread and I recognised your name from Monday!  I was the guy who you called a cab for when I dropped out at mile 14!  Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me out, as would have struggled to get back across town to the stadium otherwise!

I shouldn't have ran really, my training had gone really well but from Wednesday onwards I'd come down really sick and had been having dizzy spells, coughing fits and interrupted sleep up to Sunday.  I was feeling a bit better on Monday so thought I'd give it a go but I never really felt right.  Managed to stick with the sub-3 pacer up to halfway but started feeling terrible and knew I couldn't stick it.  Still feeling rough now, but glad I gave it a go.  Annoying as was hoping to get GFA for London next year and training suggested that was well within reach.  Probably struggle to find another marathon now in time for it.  Oh well, might be back to MK for me again next year!  I was actually impressed with the organisation and the event in general so would recommend it to others.

Well done to those on here who managed to stick it out!  Far from the rain that was predicted it actually turned out to be a bit warm if anything

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Hi Andy. Happy to have helped and glad you made it back to the stadium okay. Shame about the timing of your illness after your training had gone so well, hopefully you can come back next year and get the time you're capable of!