working at it slowly

Comments

• Anyone seen the mouse trap? image

• Just poking my nose in briefly as I'm going out for me din dins at 5.30 and i need to smell a bit less horselike image

ive had a nice walk with my pal and her rat-on-a-lead this morning and cake and coffee and more cake 

• imageimageimageimageimage

Significant number!

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Meldy - you are looking good for a 60 year old! image Hope you enjoyed your din-dins.

Lovely to see you Mousicles!

Podds, it sounds as if you did yourself a real damage image Rib injuries are particularly difficult because you cannot rest them properly other than by stopping breathing - but you did say you were not going to hold your breath! image Thank you for your kind comment about SM and I. I am incredibly lucky that she is loving and grateful - unlike many persons with dementia!

Hope everyone is snug and warm, it sounds as if some of us are due for some wild weather!

((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

Oooh I missed the M.ely one's big birthday - many belateds - hope your journey over the hill was a smooth one and that the hangover on the other side isn't too awful!

Still wondering if Daffy got back up her hill too.

Hope you've got the supplies in for the snow later today- I'm guessing there will be a bit of sleet by the amount of news coverage there's been.

Have only been out and run again this morning - see my halo, watch it shine.

Off down South toady and catching up with some old work colleagues tonight - what a treat.

Hope your Thursdays are full of heart warming events and that your ribs are tickled rather than bruised

• morning all

aaahhhrrggghhh a mouse in the lounge

hope you had a good day yesterday Melds

• It's a bit wet n windy here today, the horses went out for a couple of hours and I've just been up and brought them all in again so they are happily munching on hay !

had a very nice meal last night, beautiful smoked haddock with soft boiled egg followed by lamb in a herb crust with lambs kidneys and then a passionfruit mousse ..tonight is social event number two image

ive been very spoils with a lovely print, 2 bike tops, an ultra vest and 2 bunches of flowers image

• Sounds like a good day Melds - and I believe your celebrations will continue over the weekend too image

The haddock and egg sounds lovely too

Just started raining here at lunchtime but wind is nothing special for Plannitt Ffannitt yet image

I am looking forward to the tidal storm surge at lunchtime tomorrow instead image I may wonder down to see if it's exciting or not! 

Right, off home now - going to see what degree of piddling we've had this afternoon image

• Morning chaps image

lovely supper and gossip with the ladies last night, jacket potato evening image

snow was falling but quickly turned to slush which the. Iced over pretty quickly which made for an interesting walk to the station! All but gone today despite another snow fall his morning ...FGO and friends have stayed in today although the forecast does not appear to be as predicted

another night out tonight with the running club, might be a little jaded tomorrow for supporting duties!

• The best birthday celebrations cover several days image

No snow here, no ice here, windy but nothing more than is usual for our part of the world.......rather disappointing really!!

apparently there's snow in every direction about 10 miles beyond us but our little peninsula as usual is doing its own thing image

• We had snow image Only about half an inch - and ten minutes down the road there wasn't any. Seems we live just above the snow line image Didn't help when I was gliding elegantly past the library holding onto someone's wheelie bin though! image

Don't get swept away in the tidal surge Podds! Sounds violent! image

Nothing to report here. Had 4 days of cycle commuting (currently taking me roughly the same time as walking as the journey home is SO uphill image ) 10 mins there, about 30 home (plus lights/lock/bike shed faffing) and it's 1.5 miles each way. Suspect I might need a tent for this 62 mile race image Today was far too snowy to cycle - although it was only on the pavement once I got out the end of my road!

Belated Happy Birthday Meldy image You spring chicken you. Hope I look as good as you when I finally reach your advanced age image

• morning

been a busy week with a parents evening and work hassles

I have read back but not retained anything, apart from meldy eating haddock for her birthday image and I believe she is currently running 45 miles - madness

• Glad to hear that everyone seems to be high, dry and snow-free. I was thinking about you east-coasters with all the predictions of storm surges. Glad they didn't materialise! No snow here, but the most amazing dump of hail about 0700 today, absolutely thunderous. 

FarFar, hope you made it back to the running club. It gives you such a lift. And Pippi's point about Mr FF's work is well made---think they do have a duty to help find him appropriate work. And do heed the wide advice of Sluggie and TAKE that day they owe you before everyone forgets it!

Podds, you still sound very ouchy, that must have been one nasty spill you took image Glad you aren't contending with snow and icy paths, another fall like that wouldn't help anything! How is Tom doing now, BTW?

Sluggie, Podds is right---no one could be a wider, more loving daughter than you. Your intervention with Social Services sounds both effective and necessary. Moving house is an upheaval for anyone, and someone who isn't entirely focused can find it genuinely traumatic so hopefully she now has enough support to stay where she is for now. Hope choir was good, always nice to take up again. What are you singing?

DL, only you and OH would have an extensive collection of street lamps you saw on holiday image No doubt about it, you are one stylish pair! image (That said, I was really interested to find in an old hilltop bastide what I think is the earliest example of gaslight street lighting in France---late 18th century, I think. We think it's primitive, but it must have been a big improvement in those dark narrow lanes.) Oh, and well done on chugging on through the wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail etc etc!!

Meldy, another belated Happy Birthday! I saw from FB that you had had a great day, but no more than you deserve image 

Seem to be attending a lot of business meetings for various groups at the moment----some functioning awfully well and a real pleasure, some absolute nightmare. Oh well. Thanks for the sympathy for the lower log. Had a brilliant thought two days ago. It's all got much worse in the last 6 weeks, hips were totally seized up and I was rolling rather than walking, Suddenly realised it had got worse since I started wearing the orthotics. Decided to leave them off and see what happened. Bingo! Still have a very sore peroneus muscle (outside of lower leg) but hips move again and I can walk! Orthotics clearly going in the wrong direction. Will see the neurologist, he'll find nothing, I'll go back to the physio.... 

Entire fotball team having their annual dinner here tonight. They bring the food, set up, cook, and clear away. It's lovely, these chaps have been playing together since they were little and they do it all so nicely. Mr C and I however are going out! image Happy Saturdays all, hope you stay high, dry, snow-free and above the tideline! xx

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning all - I'm laughing at the idea of Sluggie as a wide daughter. I'm guessing that wasn't what was meant!? image

Sounds like a fun evening Chuggy - good idea to clear out!

As predicted with all the warnings I saw a little bit of ice and a lot of rain. Glad to hear those on the right didn't get blown into the sea.

I have done my third run of the week. That's two weeks running (pun intended) possibly a record!

OH was in London last night celebrating a mate's 50th - not M.eldy's I think! There seems to be a lot of it going around at the moment. So I have a quiet day to myself - how exciting.

Happy weekend - especially to the warriors who apparently get as much benefit from cramming all their exercise into a brief Sunday adventure as those who slog away at it for days

• YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Morning. Happy belated big burfdee you mad old bat image I thought you were much younger image Glad you've been thoroughly spoilt

((((Sluggy ))) Good for you for tackling the social services. As you say it's in SM best interest she stays at home as long as she is able. I'm sure it must help in keeping her as well as she can be. It must be very hard for you but you're doing a fab job and SM is clearly loving your support.

Oh Chuggy, I had no idea you were struggling so much with your mobility. Well spotted m..... eldy that all might not be as it seems. Ditch those orthotics! How lovely the footie team cook and clear up. Perhaps if they stayed over they could clean the whole place image

Podds, I think I'm only just beginning to really appreciate how badly bashed up you are from your fall. Woukd have bounced if you'd been drunk image Hope your boys are helping out.

DL well runned. This could become a habit image I had no idea OH was an electrician. Must have been the toolbelt that attracted you image

Glad no one has been snowed in, blown away or floated off. We've been on flood alert in sarfend but I haven't seen Larry float by so it must be ok.

The day of stupidity has arrived. 15 cross country muddy, waterlogged, Hilly miles. Throw in heavy rain predicted for the duration and I'm thinking I've bitten off more than I can chew. Staying upright and warm will be issues so will keeping my shoes on! I will adopt daffy's race strategy and try to have fun but well aware I'll be in handful of stragglers crawling over the finish. I have a few buddies on route to mop my tears! Keep revising my guesstimate time backwards. It will be a run walk event where finishing is the achievement

Been nice knowing you image
  • hello chums  image

I'm guessing you have finished my now Yums,  looks a fun race!

I had another very lovely evening on Friday, lots of gifts and a fab cake image

copious amounts of gin was drunk and I came home ata vaguely respectable hour in order to be up at stupid o'clock to go and support at the Country to Capital, made the decision the other week not to run it mid way through the virus which was probably wise!

Chuggs, stupid question but you have actually got the orthotics on the right foot haven't you??!  it certainly sounds like they are the culprit somehow

I actually have to go back to work tonight, with one thing and another I have been off for 2 weeks!

• YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Hi honey, I'm home image

How very sensible of you not to run mid Luigi, m..... eldy but lovely to turn out and support. How far is it? Sounds a long way. Shame about work though image

LOL at the idea Chuggy has them on the wrong feet. I need to know! image

I have runned and survived. Tough day out but I'm pleased I did it. Was cheered home by my lovely run buddies and made myself panettone bread n buppy pudding as my reward. Not sure I'll be able to move tomorrow image 15 muddy uppy downy miles 3:04
  • Evening.....can I just say how cheesed off I am with 2017?

The ribs were bad enough but to add the sickness bug this weekend was just not funny.......so day off tomorrow to recover.....

Well run Yums

Well birthdayed Melds......

• Thats a good time Yums, the going was likely soft and softer rather than good to firm I suspect!

oh Podds, sickness and sore ribs are not a good combination for sure

Not long til home time now, I am a little tired, it should be against the law to go back to work on a night shift ... or an early shift for that matter

• It should be against the law to have to work for our dosh image

I'd happily settle for the dosh and no work.... image

Today I am trying to catch up with a back log of nearly 80 tri club membership applications whilst trying to recuperate.......

We are also changing broadband provider.........wish me luck..........I've read the destructions and they appear pleasingly simple but you all know how inept I am technologically...............

Hope you managed to get home to bed Meldy

Hope the leggies aren't too bad today Yums

And yes........the burning question........did Chuggie get her L and R mixed up?!!

• morning all

well Done on the race Yums - a fab result on a really challenging course imageimageimage

well if Chuggy has got right and left feet mixed up she'll never be allowed to forget it image

Melds well done on multi-birthday celebrations -  excellent work

I'm with you Podds, if only we could have the dosh without the work - I could totally fill my days, so much I would rather be doing image

my weekend seems to have been hard work, back in the office for a rest.

• evening

yums - well done!

meldy - god decision not to run when you aren't well enough

podds, hope you are feeling better.

oh god, I would love the money without having to work! Currently very fed up with work!

• I'm fed up too - I think it's winter. I'm not a SAD person, I think - I'm not too bothered about cold and dark, but I think there is a long way to go in an academic year and a very steep hill to climb ... The past few years I have found myself browsing job adverts around this time ... Now I am just counting down the years until it's sensible to go!

I've had a lovely weekend though - I did nothing and enjoyed every minute! (apart from 2 hours planning lessons ... I didn't count that)

Seen our Berry on the Beeb? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38506378

• What's going on at work, MC? Or are you just generally fed up in the January-fed-up kind of way? 

FarFar, if you are going back to work for a rest your weekend at home must have been epic!! But if that's what you need, I hope work is, um, restful! image

Yums, that is a stonkingly good result! I think getting over 15 miles in those conditions is an achievement in itself, but to do it in just over 3 hours is really impressive. Hope the leggiest haven't been too sore today. 

Meldy, deffo a good decision to support rather than try to run with Luigi on your back (or you chest, as the case may be). 

Podds, you are really in the wars, aren't you? Luigi on top of all the bruising must leave you feeling pretty carp. I can see how processing 80 tri club applications might have psychological value to distract you from the pain elsewhere, but adding a new broadband provider sounds to me like plain old-fashioned masochism! Hope you survive it all!

I appreciate the care you all show me, so I took another good look just to make sure my orthotics were correctly installed. They fit the shoes in only one way, so I'm assuming they are in the right shoes. Of course I might have had the shoes on the wrong feet.... [looks doubtfully at feet]....but they LOOK all right. Nope, I'm backing my own ability to tell left from right: the problem isn't me, it's the orthotics! At least I think so image

Bliddy cold here at the mo, due to be -5 tonight. That's not all that cold, but since we've had a week with frost every night, everything has got that deep cold that never seems to go away even if the temps go above freezing during the day. Cycled into the village and my face was numb when I got there. Met Mr C for lunch as today marks 35 years of wedded bliss for us. image Now I'm just waiting for the neurologist on Wed: he won't find anything, so after I've seen him I can go to the physio and hopefully get moving properly again. (Anyone ever had any trouble with the peroneus muscles?)

• YumsYums ✭✭✭
    I thought peroneus was either a beer or a Roman emperor. Good to hear you know which foot is which, Chuggy. Congrats also on 35 years of welded bliss.

Oh Podds that's not a good combination. Either one is bad enough on its own. Hope the hounds are sharing the sofa image

Wassup MC? Perhaps you and Pippi could job swap. They say a change is as good as a rest image

Sit down and put your feet up Mrs Farfar. I'd make you tea but I'm not sure I can get up

Podds, I am aware of my quads today. It feels as though they may explode. Bird n me don't see much of each other and yesterday she announced she's doing extra work one to one with a special needs child. She needs the money but it it effectively means we will see each once a fortnight. In true Buddhist stylee I shall just sit with my thoughts and feelings. It's a decision for her to make without my influence. Still could be worse. I might have sore ribs and vomiting bug image
  • DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

3.04 for a muddy 15 Yums??? Should have tried harder!

Hope meditation helps or bird's extra lessons work quickly.

((((Podds))) it sounds like a barrel of laughs round yours at the moment.

(((((over stressed, over worked, returning to shifts, January bluesers)))) Having spent an evening with a couple of ex colleagues, one who has retired and one who is on the verge, I have realised I am really lucky that I enjoy working. Early mornings, I could do without, but generally, wouldn't want to stop at the moment.

Glad you know your left from right Chuggy, hope the scan confirms you need a physio rather than amputation.

Week 3 of running plan started on a treadmill in a hotel gym yesterday. The hotel gym was a very small, hot room with about 4 bits of gym equipment. Luckily one of those was a clunky treadmill. It makes me remember how much I hate running inside, but at least it meant I can tick another day off.

Managed to get tickets for Hamilton - due to go in March 2018 - not long to wait then image

Happy Tuesday. Hope it's a sparkly one

• Not sparkling here yet DL! Although I did sleep for nearly 10 hours last night so feeling substantially better than yesterday! 

Well run Yums! Most impressive image We entered a 15 mile race yesterday but it's that one with mad walk breaks so I reckon we'll be ok. We have a plan to beat our 4.28 PB from 2015 image It seems XB slowed us down when he joined us last yearimageimage

((((chuggy))))) glad you've got your shoes on the right feet at least! Hope they sort you out soon x

(((podds)))) OUch! and throwing up with busted ribs doesn't sound pleasant either. I confess I'd be telling someone else to do the memberships!

I love my job, but I could also find plenty of other things to fill my days with image I plan to retire at 47, and not a day laterimage (well, maybe I'll stick it out to the end of the academic year...). Currently spending as little as possible in a bid to pay mortgage (that we haven't even taken out yet) off as early as possible image 

Nowt to report here. No running since race. But then we did enter this other race, but it's not til June, loads of timeimage Sister has a half ironman to fit in before then! image And I'm in cycling mode ready for this ludicrous 62 mile thing. So far I'm cycling 3 miles a day to work and back. Suspect I may need to build up somewhat... but at least it's getting my backside used to being in the saddle, and it's VERY uphill on the way home! Hoping to add in some extra miles on the way home as the nights get lighter... We'll see... 

• morning all

oh Yums that's a shame about your bird but I like the Buddhist attitude

oh well Chuggs at least you've got your feet the right way round - just need to get you sorted now, the harribert needs an outing image

hmm I sometimes like work, I don't hate it, but it takes up too much life and the travelling doesn't help - so I am definitely looking to downsize as soon as possible.

better get on, all sorts of traffic issues meant it took me 2 hours to get to work this morning image

• Daffs, which 1/2 IM is she doing?  and yes, you need to put a leeeetle more miles on the clock with respect of your biking image

a 2 hour commute is not fun Farty pants ... I am lucky doing shifts in as much as I dont really get caught in traffic,  my trip is around 25 miles to work so not too bad in the grand scheme of things

CHuggy the peroneal tendon runs around the foot so would likely be part of the issues you have and is easily mistaken for achilles issues ... physio may well look further up tho as most issues start in the back/hips

Flippin chilly here again but not quite down to the minus figures as yet, the FGO has excelled himself in the mud bath stakes so I am quite glad that we have a week of dry weather!

• Evening All

A question for the collective brilliance which is the WAISTER lounge......

How do I get the damp out of my car?

It doesn't leak per se but is always slightly damp which means all through the winter there is always a shed load of condensation on the inside windows and however often I dry it off it returns............and this evening to add insult to injury the condensation had frozen to form ice on the windscreen on the inside when I left work...................

Don't fancy that commute JFF I have to say image

Ah Chuggy - so glad your reputation for being smart remains unsullied image  Really hope that someone can come up with an explanation though for you sooner rather than later

And congrats on the anniversary - and more congrats on cycling in minus figures to go and eat!!  Think I'd have called a taxi image

If you're cycling up hills Daffs then that's good going..........

DL, glad you're enjoying your job overall image  I suppose there are many aspects of mine I do enjoy.............but many I don't

Today I have spent sifting claims for places in Y7 in Sept 2017 and of the 65 claiming sibling status about 20% are out and out lies or dubious in the extreme........... image

I understand parents wanting the best for their kids but it's so unfair on the honest parents who actually tell the truth and accept the results.....

As we have 767 registrations of interest for just 160 places (minus however many statemented types we get) there are going to be a lot of disappointed parents once again this year so the least I can do is make the process as honest and fair as possible for all parents...............