Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options
    evening

too knackered today so skipped running etc, also once I got home I wanted to watch the news, just awful, hopefully none of you have been caught up in it all. 
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

Quiet in here. 

Hope everyone is doing well, that house moves are progressing, parents are being well supported and are healthy, restructures and work demands aren't causing too much stress, children are listening and supporting rather than challenging and infuriating, and pets are calm and happy.

All change here again. Having had a very challenging time XFC has declared she now wants to stay with us indefinitely again. Someone was asking about her dabbling in alcohol and her religion. For the past two years she has been developing her understanding of what her religious and cultural​ identity mean and who she is and wants to become. She has been through many to-ings and fro-ings. Currently she wants to be a teenager with the freedoms and opportunities that this might bring. Where she ends up and who she becomes is a lifetime's work. 

Had a scary moment yesterday. A guy in front of me on the street was spitting at Muslim women and telling anyone who didn't look British to go home. I used my best teacher voice and told him off. He had some very worrying views which he happily ranted about but I seem to have managed to stop him for 5 minutes by telling him to stop being so rude! It proper shook me up.

Well we made it to another Friday. Hope you're having a good one
  • Options

crikey DL that is scary! so easy to just walk by and ignore it - you were proper brave!

sounds like you are doing a great job with XFC - giving her space to make her own  choices is exactly what she needs

well my latest tale of woe - it took me over 3.5 hours to get to work this morning due to the M6 being shut, dog know how long its going to take to get home - I may as well leave now. crawling for hours in traffic is not great when you have a poorly knee either

oops sorry that was a bit moany :)

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Jenni, I hope your journey home was much easier than you feared.

DL, I am in complete agreement with your comment about letting XFC find her own way and make up her mind about her religious beliefs. All credit to you for supporting her in that, whatever your own feelings. All credit for stepping in and telling the bigmouth to shut up!

Things are still crawling on with regard to our house move. However, they are moving - albeit at glacial slowness - and that is better than nothing. We are currently aiming to complete on 25th April, although we are still waiting for some information that could still be a deal breaker, even at this stage  :/

Hurrah! for Friday. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    Chuggs .. put the title in the search field and dont hit enter, wait for it to autopopulate out of the search bar and I think its about the 3rd or 4th one down ...

sorry for my absence ... back to back late shifts  .. gggrrr
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Morning :)

Sounds as though waisters are all accounted for after Wednesday's awfulness in London.  Good to know Slugboy is safe too. 

Is this another tumble,  Mrs Farfar? Your journey to work sounds horrendous.  I Hope you got home without too much trouble. 

Sluggy,  you've been reprogrammed? Did emess make any special requests  like an on off switch or a pause button :-)I have everything crossed that there are no unpleasant surprises with the house move. 

(((MC)))) I'm guessing it will be a while before the meds make a noticeable difference. 

Go DL :-) Well done you for telling racist chap off :-) XFC sounds like a normal teen.  A normal teen without confusing cultural and religious complications :-)  I know that with the support and guidance you provide,  XFC will come out the other side as a decent human bean :-)

M.... eldy,  I'm guessing the thin blue line is stretched very thin these days? 

Chuggy,  how are your hips these days.  How are Monty and Mr C? 

I'm fortunate,  M..... eldy that after years of cuts,  Brexit means we are about to expand.  Boss is UK decision maker on customs special procedures and represents the UK in Brussels.   No one has her experience and ability.  Whoever takes over has some very big shoes to fill and she's been very good to me. 

No1 son is currently snoozing on the sofa after a week of work.  Its been a week if unexpected but delightful meetings with old friends  :-)

I'm on mummy entertainment for mummy's day tomorrow... 

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    We've been in sunny North Wales to celbrate Mr Ps big birthday with his brothers, sister, Pippette and a nephew! Warm and sunny in March, I've even turned a bit pink(er than usual).

We are not near that big explosion either!

Well done, DL. Teachers voices come in useful sometimes. What was that about all it takes for evil to flourish is that good (wo)men do nothing?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

I hope everyone has had a good day, whatever you have been doing.

Pippi, hubby's celebration sounds great - and I am very glad that the explosion was nowhere near you.

We have had a lovely 'day' with SB, including is all spending an hour with SM. It has been bright and sunny although it was rather blowy on the cliff top.
  • Options
    evening all

what a beautiful weekend, yesterday felt too tired to do the run I planned, so had a walk with OH and youngest son and sat in the sun with an ice cream, one of my favourite things to do :)

• Options
    Morning chaps

DL, sorry I missed your encounter with the disturbed person, Farty Pants is right it takes courage these days to challenge this sort of behaviour and especially with the attroceties of the last few days you can never be too sure who you are approaching so you get Meldy's gold star of the week award

Yums it is inded stretched very thin,  thats the problem when you are working with public money, no room for error or margin.

An exchange date Sluggy my word that is good, I do hope the deal breaker is a non starter tho ... 

Last night shift for me hoorah !   Back in on the weekend for two long day shifts and Ive got a flippin posh party invite on Saturday night that I cant go to as I have to be up at 0500 to go to flippin work ... I am hangin on to the vain (vein??) hope that someone may offer to do the shift for me.  Ive got a frock and everything.

Pay day friday,  I have to buy new tyres for the car and pay the last installment of our training week in france and then I am off round the back of rackhams for the rest of the month
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Meldy, what a pity that you cannot go to the posh party  :( If you cannot get anyone to work your shift, I will perform an act of extreme selflessness and go to the party in your place. No need to thank me   :D

Mc, sitting in the sun and eating ice-cream comes pretty near the top of my fave things too.

We had to get 2 new tyres for my car last week. With all the expenses involved with buying/moving house, I might have to share Meldy's patch at the back of Rackhams!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options

morning all

we had bad news on our bonus - I get max of 15% of salary and it's usually about 70% of max. this year the company didn't get the main target so they are just paying a minimal amount as a goodwill gesture - so no holiday and I'll join you ladies round the back of Rackhams

knee is on the mend though

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the - lack of - bonus Jenni  :(
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Bonus? What's one of them?

Apparently the explosion was pretty loud and heard all round here!

I'm off to Manchester tomorrow on a train! Will you be there, DL? I'm going to meet grown-ups and have a free lunch from the British Council. However, it is also the evening Pippette is taking me to the theatre for a birthday present and it starts at 5:30 on a Wednesday, which we hadn't realised when we booked, and I hadn't realised it was the day I was in Manchester, so it might mean sneaking out a bit early and hoping there are no train problems!
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sorry Pippi - I am heading South towards Sluggie and her New Forest ponies.

Happy belateds to Mr Pippi,  hope you get a decent spread at the lunch and escape in time for your theatrical shenanigans.

Sorry about the bonus Farty - I don't get such things, or pay rises it would appear!

It's going to be busy round the back of Rackhams this weekend

Hope Brexit means your job is more exciting not more stressful Yums

Went to the house of my mother last night. Took her out for a Chinese meal for mothers' day, she said she was relieved it wasn't  more flowers!

Happy Wednesday - hope the sun shines on  you today
  • Options

morning all

yeah downer about the bonus, trouble is when you get it every year you consider it part of your salary so its like getting a massive pay cut - ah well it's only money :(

nice to be able to go out with your mum DL - I'm sure that's more appreciated than any amount of flowers

big excitement in the office, one lady is switching from slimming world to weightwatchers!!, my other colleague has been going for over 10 years she couldn't ever change, I will be glad of a change in conversation!

ran 4 miles with club yesterday, knee behaving ok although still tender so I shall be doing my planned half mara on sunday - not so keen now I discover it is 4 laps though!

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoonicles,

DL, I do hope you will be waving in my direction while you are down here! Or perhaps you will be too busy wrangling the ponies?   

Jenni, your office is clearly a terribly exciting place to be!  :D Glad that the knee is behaving itself, hope you don't get too bored on Sunday.

Not much happening chez Sluggy today, other than visiting SM this arvo.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    evening everyone

another 2 days to go and it will be Easter hols! Can't wait. Unfortunately I am running a training thing after work tomorrow till 6 so it will be a long long day...

Been a bit knackered this week and done very little running, or much else. I have a half marathon in a week....oops! Oh well, I will get round slowly

Being a bad mother today, the kids are playing in the school concert and we haven't gone to watch.
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    My seminar thingy was quite good - in parts. the first speaker was excellent and inspiring, the others less so but still gleaned some useful information and ideas. We finished early so I had plenty of time to stroll back to the station for my train.
    We went to see dance, which I haven't before. We did take Pippette to a ballet once when she was younger and found it a bit dull - although I have enjoyed photographing a few ballets. This was Matthew Bourne, and to a non-dancer like me, it looked like ballet, but in modern costumes, telling stories and setting scenes - some of which were rather funny and a bit 'adult'! It was good to go somewhere different and I would go again. An early performance meant time for a leisurely meal afterwards too. !

Breaking news - we have a new school admininstrator/office lady who is a Meldy lookalike! However, she seems very nice.
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Pippi, those two comments are mutually exclusive!  :D

Glad you enjoyed the Matthew Bourne production. I believe Meldy has been to at lest one and it is something I would like to see.
  • Options
    Ahh yes, Matthew Bourne is an excellent choreographer

i think I'd do very well as an administrator  :)
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see you interact with our parents!
  • Options
    Hi we had our first day of rain today. It has been a great break . I am using mobile phone and can't read it properly anymore. Have eye problems  ut see consultant in 28 days. It appears I have a macular  hole so near sight a problem.  Pity since just had cataract s done a few months ago.. need to get vack on big desktop to chat.
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the rain, Westie. We're heading to Fort William tomorrow, where it always rains. On the plus side, we think it always rains in Fort William because in the past we have gone there because it is raining (ie abandoned a day in the hills). Complicated sentence - please use the correct intonation to make sense of it!
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Good evening run chums.

It's taken me 30 minutes to go from firing up the laptop to getting here. It's my Dad's old lappy and it amuses me that I'm communicating from beyond the grave.

(((Westie))) never heard of a hole in the macular. I hope the eye Doc can get you sorted. The pictures of your break look great. Ignore that Pippi blaming you for the rain> I'm sure it's not entirely your fault but I suppose its the payback for having such a beautiful and green country.

Farfar, sorry to hear the bonus didn't live up to expectations. As you say, if you have received it for a number of years, it must come as a shock when it doesn't materialise:-(

How is Mr farfar these days ? And Ned ?

Sluggy, I clearly missed the fact you have an exchange date. What will you exchange SM, SB and MS for :-) How are Sky and Alfie ?  Is SM nice and settled now? Is she content despite her health issues ?

Pippi, The dance sound interesting> I've heard of Matthew Bourne but no idea why I would have as I'm uncultured. Belated happy big birthday to Mr Pippi :-)

MC which half are you doing ? Not the same as Mrs FF?  Hoorah for teachers and support stay who get to have some time off :-)

DL, has XFC left your hostel yet or has she decided she's stopping with you. Sounds as though your mum appreciated spending some time with you and eating a lovely meal. 

M.....eldy is more like the terminator rather than the administrator :-)

where are Daffy and Podds ?

Life here is the usual kinda thing. Had a good Mummy's day with mummy and the boys.  DL, my job is fairly interesting anyway as it covers an eclectic range of things people do and bring into the EU - this week I was dealing with the instruments of a visiting south American national orchestra and you'd be amazed how inept some world renown UK companies are when running their customs affairs. Tomorrow I am running the 5 miler local to Bird's home town. I can't recall doing a 5 miler before so a PB is already likely :-) Monday Bird and me going to Norwich for a couple of nights - that's my holibob - as a public servant I'm with DL - no pay rise and no bonus but at least I know what I'm getting :-)

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

I would have called this 'evening' a couple of months ago but it is still light outside now  :)

Yumms, I'm glad you had a good Mothers' Day with the minis. Hope your 5 miler goes well and you have a lovely few days away with Bird.

Westie, I'm glad you decided to return to the lounge but am very sorry to hear about your vision problems  :(

We don't have any fixed dates for the move yet, although our buyers are very keen to get something definite as they have to give notice on their rented flat. We are still waiting for a few bits to be done and I need a good gap between exchange and completion as I will have to find a cattery for Sky and Alf for a couple of nights - I'm not going to risk someone leaving a door open and Sky disappearing!

SM has settled well and is now in a room on the ground floor. It is a bit bigger, so it makes it easier to use the hoist and it has big patio doors so that she can get some fresh air, at least. The plan is to get a new patio built (the current decking is rather rickety) and then Mum can be pushed outside in the bed if she doesn't behave herself  she wants some fresh air  :D She is much more sleepy than she was and spending much of her time in bed but she still knows us and enjoys us being with her.

It was the Bournemouth half mara, it is strange to think that it is 11 years since we last participated  :o and I'm still here in the WAISTer lounge, annoying the rest of you  >:)

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    evening

slugs - fingers crossed you get a date for the move soon, these things seem to drag on forever. SM's room sounds good, having a patio and being able to get some fresh air is so important

westie - so sorry to hear about your eye problems

had a busy weekend as usual, but so nice to know that I don't have to go to work tomorro
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Good evening :-)

Ah good to hear SM is settled and perhaps sleepy is a good thing under the circumstances. It must bring much a comfort to knowing she still recognises you all and enjoys your time together.
    I still have my fingers crossed that the house sale/flat buying goes quickly and smoothly. Its good to hear you have the care of sky and alfie in hand. it would be very unsettling for them and I guess they could get quite skittish and as you say, in all the upheaval one might escape.

I'm very glad you are still here in the WAISTer lounge annoying us :-) x

Today has been a good day. Run was well organised, great race HQ and facilities (its at the county horse racing course).There were a few cheeky inclines and it was rather warm with no water station but I enjoyed it and Garmin clocked it as 5 miles in 47.11 so chip time should be similar. After some wine I am feeling the need for my bed

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Goodly morning

Saw ponies and cows and lots of people in the New Forest but no sign of the lesser spotted Sluggie - I did wave!

Glad SM is settled - hope the hose move will be soon too.

(((Westie's eyes))))

Hoorah for teachers on holiday - sadly I'm not.

Yay on the 5 mile PB Yums. I managed the same distance yesterday - it took me considerably longer!

Had a bonkers weekend - we were out Fri, sat and last night. I need a weekend to recover! There was also running, I trimmed my bush and encroached on next door's, house cleaning, shopping and generally far too active for my liking!

Happy new week. Off to Wrexham in a minute - wish me luck.

Hope the week brings you something joyful and exciting

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Sluggie - I hope the house move is more exciting than your hose move - though that may be an issue for you which is deserving of the level of attention it has now been afforded.