Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options
    to cheer Podds up - Ned knows he's naughty!
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Jenni, I hope you don't have a hole in your coat pocket now! 

(((DL))) sorry that you are still feeling rough, I do hope you are soon back to (ab)normal. How are things with FC?

(((((Podds))))) am thinking of you.

(((Chuggy))), I haven't had a really close relationship with a parent. However, I am still sometimes ambushed by tears for my grandfather who died in 1980! Still vibing for C3 ~~~

It is raining and gloomy here - but MS and I are cheered up some evenings by watching a family of 5 foxcubs cavorting on the grass outside our lounge window  :)

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    (((Podds))) I know what you mean, but it can still be a big loss emotionally despite what the head says!
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Evening all

(((((Podds and daddy podds)))) Sorry to hear this news but it's a release for your dad :-( Hope the trip  back to France for the funeral is uneventful and your dad has a good send off.  

(((((Farfar)))) sorting old people's care if it involves social services are involved is a mare.  Not to mention breathtakingly expensive if self funded.   It is good that your mum is well cared for and content. One less thing to worry about.  Your dad's loss was unexpected and perhaps because it was as a result of an accident it maybe feels as unfair especially as you were so close.   :-(

Sluggy,  how lovely SM recognised you and used your name.  I hope I find a happy place when I'm in the twilight of my life. 

M..... eldy more work n responsibility but no money.  How did they sell that to you! A wedding this Saturday? Pippa Middleton needs her shoes breaking in? 

Chuggy,  C1 does Everest base camp with a broken ankle and Tibetan tummy? That is hardcore! Remind me not to upset her.  Fingers crossed that C3 gets the big break x   The NL system that allows people to choose if life is unbearable sounds like the sort of thing a lot of people would like access to

DL.. Banff?  That is a long way north.  are you sure OH doesn't pay your boss to get you all the best trips :-)

Podds,  I've not forgotten 27/5 :-) I'll be in touch
    I have a few assurances about workloads from big boss.  Just gonna do my time and extricate myself from the handover asap. Hopefully my new job  will be enjoyable.  Unfortunately current job pretty interesting so shall be sorry it's ending.  As for no1,  I'm going to have to work hard to help him but not sure how.  He's such a sweetheart.  Running a 4 leg relay tomorrow but only 2 left in the team.  Thankfully I only have to self navigate 7 cross country miles.  My team mate is doing 15 

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    (((((podds))))))))))) So sorry to hear about your dad, and the dog too :( How rotten :( 

((((((((((((((waister pals)))))))))) 

Yums, are you doing two legs of the relay then?? Crikey. Sorry you're having such a rough time at the minute too, and how rotten of mini 1's job to let him go like that. 

Urgh, some rubbishy things going on around the waister lounge at the minute. One foot in front of the other I suppose is all we can keep doing. Working at it slowly goes for life as well as running I guess... 

Did my first parkrun for yonks yesterday - 36.56 which given my complete lack of running lately isn't too bad. Doing a 15 mile race in 5 weeks, and in characteristic form, haven't run more than 3 miles since the half marathon in January. Hey ho. 

Right, back to painting the window frames I suppose. Pretty sure I already did this in preparation for selling the house once... but it's taken us so bloody long the red has flaked and is showing the dark green underneath again. At the rate we're going we'll be stuck in an endless cycle of fixing, patching, touching up until the end of time...  :/
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Evening all. 
    My class had their first Holy Communion yesterday and all behaved and it was lovely. Afterwards, mr P and I drove through rain like stairrods to Yorkshire, stayed overnight in a pub with a nice restaurant, then today did a recce for a walk in Wharfedale. Much nicer weather, although I did put my coat on for 10minutes when walking into a biting wind! We caught up with theRamblers coach on the way home! They didn't wave ...
    ive got a little sore lump on my eyelid, started off minute but getting a teensy bit worse each day, so off to the pharmacy for advice tommorow, I think.

I had better read back cos this iPad writes some rubbish!
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lovely weekend Pippi - apart from the sore eyelid!
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

morning :-)

oh how did I miss the picture of Ned? he's gawjuss ;-) How could such a sweet boy be naughty ??

Hope you're, Mr P, Frankie, Elvis and tom are doing ok, Podds and that you arrived safely in France. I think loss is a funny thing. Even when we don't necessarily consider ourselves close to someone it can stir up thoughts and feelings even if we think we are not greatly affected. A reminder of life's  impermanence.

Well done Pippi class. it's mazing how quiet communion wine will keep kids :-) Your weekend sounds good but fancy the Ramblers not waving. I like to get out in the country but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the Ramblers. Hope the eyelid is improving

Daffy, your training plans always make me smile. I can't recall you ever DNF even though you err on the side of undertraining :-) Your house sounds like mine - always something to be done, most of which I have to take a stab at myself :-)

Yesterday's charidee cross country relay was a resounding success. Local clubs and runners all supporting each other. Thankfully I was only doing 1 leg as we ended up with 3 runners to cover 4 legs. By 1300 when I ran it was rather warm and a bit of a struggle. Nonetheless I was spurred on by the thought of a medal/memento for my efforts - except there was nothing! I had to buy a gooey choc dessert to console myself. Today I am mainly joining the 21st century and having a smart thermostat installed which will apparently know when I'm coming home. Once I set the kids up it will be like Harry Potter's marauder's map and I'll know when they're coming home. Oh dear, engineer on phone asking the company for help because I have an old system :-o Grief is strange. I can be doing something mundane like driving to meet my run buddies and suddenly its there whether its my Dad or the dawg.

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭
     the engineer faffed and I had to help him as did the tech support. Engineer left after saying the boiler was working. it is but only for hot water. I suspect the engineer has failed to do something  :-( Of course all I need now is someone in support to talk to me... I have also discovered that the plasterer has plastered the kitchen ceiling so that a wiring conduit can no longer be opened :-(   As for No1...He's soscared of his own shadow I want to shake him and tell him to man up. 'scuse my rant. Feeling stressed!
  • Options
    Awww hello Ned, how can anyone think those pair of eyes can be norty ?? :smiley:

Had a lovely time at th wedding on Saturday, it might have taken me a little while to get over it, the bride and groom left the church on a tractor and we had a proper good night in a marquee on the farm !

back t work already tomorrow, not sure how that one snuck up on me !

Yums I was considering a smart thermostat but at the moment I don't think there has been many times were I wished the heating was already on when I get home, a couple of occasions when it was proper cold I left it on low all day but those times were rare in comparison with the need for one that is smarter than me
    cant believe there was no medal/momento!! I'd have staged a sit in :-)

• Options

Daffs I am sure given your history that is quite enough race prep for you !

Mrs Duck has been sunning herself on the bank for most of today, I'm a little apprehensive about the day that the GPO realises she is there ...that is, if he ever wakes up. It's like having a teenager sometimes.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

(((Podds))) thinking of you all.

(((Yumms))) As you say, grief is a strange thing and can bite you on the bum when you least expect it! Sorry that the engineer has not done things correctly, I hope that doesn't mean you have to spend time waiting for another one to arrive?!

Meldy, glad that you had a good time at the wedding. You certainly work hard and play hard, don't you?

We have had a couple of nice days hjere, weatherwise. Even better, the fitter got the kitchen sorted in just one day today when we had budgeted for 2. We gave him a bonus but still saved some money, so everyone was happy. We haven't sorted out exactly where everything will go but it is nice to have the problem rather than nowhere to put things. Alf and Sky are less pleased as they have been shut in the bedroom all day!

Broadband connection has been terrible today, constantly dropping out. Another engineer is due to come on Wednesday. The one who came on Friday arrived to find everything working as it should - a situation that lasted until about 1 hour after he had left!  :#

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

(((((Podds))))) hope it's getting easier

((((Yums))))

(((((Pippi's swollen eyelid))))

Good to see you're gradually getting sorted Sluggie

Our boiler isn't working properly. We haven't had any heating for about a month. Still waiting for the plumber who is 'waiting for a part' or just that he's put us at the bottom of the non urgent list. No smart metres here. There's enough competition for the most intelligent in our house!

Managed a very short run this morning. Don't know how you do it Daffs. I stop for a week or two and can't run from more than 2 minutes at a time!

Happy Tuesday
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    I'll join the boiler woes. Mr P is installing a new one. We now have hot water again, and he is putting back the floorboards. Holes in walls everywhere. I've tried to sit in the garden with a coffee to unwind but he started sawing planks and I got sawdust blown at me, so I've retreated indoors. He doesn't know ... yes, it's great having a husband who's handy around the house ...

i didn't make it to t he pharmacy yesterday with y eye as we were moderating Year 2 writing yesterday until late, but it seems to be getting better - the eye, not the writing. Oh dear, will they be mine next Year? (We never find out what will be happening until the last minute ...)
  • Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    DL said:

Managed a very short run this morning. Don't know how you do it Daffs. I stop for a week or two and can't run from more than 2 minutes at a time!

The trick is to be crap to start with - then there's not much worse you can get ;)

Urgh. Nothing at all useful to say today. Had a blood test for thyroid levels the other week (have to have annual checks after having the damn thing removed), and when I went back to have another blood test for summat else a few days later, the doc said the first one hadn't been processed right, so I had to have another one. 

Then I got a letter from the hospital, saying thyroid levels were fine, and to stay on current meds. 

Then a phone call from docs, which I missed, and when I rang back they couldn't figure out why they'd rung me, but said first test showed levels low, but second said normal, so stay on current meds. 

Then had a letter from the docs, saying levels low, and to ring them cos I'd need meds changing. 

Think I may need doctor changing! :D Anyway, been feeling rather shite lately but it appears it's nothing to do with that. I suspect the culprits are overwork and general life-being-uncooperative. Urgh. Hey ho. If that's the worst that's happening to me today I'm one of the better off... 

So, tonight. Change sheet and shower and snooze, or food shopping. I know which I'd prefer... 
  • Options

morning all

oh Daffs - how confusing with the docs!

did I tell you Ned has started his doggy training? gosh quite stressful! he was definitely the worst behaved one there but not too terrible. he is so good at home (mostly, although very boisterous) but not great on a lead - anyway we are giving it a try. My morning walks with him are lovely (when there are no other dogs about) and he really needs plenty of exercise

running club for me last night - so nice to be running in sunshine in the evenings

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    I'm hot.

In a temperature sort of way.

This morning I went for a run. I was even hotter - practically nuclear fusion hot.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. 

But where's the fun in that
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Oh and apparently I have earned an ancient membership badge even though the thread doesn't actually exist. How it is to be virtual in a virtual world. Is it like maths and as a double negative we have become real????? I think the heat is getting to me
  • Options
    First off: I hope no WAISters had any connection with the horrible attack in Manchester. Targeting kids is off the scale. 

((((Podds))) Hope everything for your dad has gone as well as it could, and that it left everyone with the good memories to the fore. This is a really tough patch for you so be very kind to yourself. 

Sluggie, grief for any key person, parent, grandparent or other, seems to have an indefinite shelf life. Like Yums said, it can jump out at you at the most unexpected moments. Still does with me too. On a brighter note: have you had a new kitchen put into your new house??? More info, please!

Yums, so sorry for all the disruption at work, especially as your job did seem to have settled down to something interesting and do-able. At least you have some firm undertakings re amount of work---print those emails out and keep them in case you need them! I do so feel for you with no. 1: he sounds like such a very nice lad, and it's awful that he's had such an undeserved knock when he's just starting out. And I must say, your engineer sounds like one of the lesser breeds of that animal---hope you get the heating system sorted before the autumn sets in! Sending you lots of vibes since it all sounds a bit uphill right now. (((Yums)))

Pippi, that sounds like a wonderful mini-holiday in Yorkshire! I do miss the English countryside sometimes. And despite blowing sawdust, Mr P is a real hero, putting in a new boiler! Respect. 

JFF, love the photo of Ned. Put beside one of the GPO, you see the two common techniques of the animal world: charm, or blackmail! Do let us know how the doggie class goes. I've thought about it for Monty but haven't taken the plunge. 

DL, no heating for a month sounds pretty spartan! How's FC getting on now? 

Daffs, you always seem to race on no training---and you always come through! But you seem to be in a bit of dip energy and mood-wise: might be worth pursuing the thyroid question, since the docs don't seem to know which way they're facing and I seem to remember you felt a bit the same when the thyroid stuff started?

Up at 5.30 this morning to save farewell to Mr C's cousin (second cousin, actually, but the families were close when the boys were little) and his wife who have been here for 5 days. Really lovely people, and we had a great time but it's a bit tiring trying to keep up with family gossip about people I've never met (especially in Dutch) so I'm ready for a nice evening with Mr. C.

Still no word for C3 about the job, which is a bit weird as the successful candidate has to be available on Monday/Tuesday, so I would have thought they would have let him know by now, whatever the outcome. It's horrid waiting, so vibes really are appreciated. C2 is making sure they meet up at least once a week so C3 has something to look forward to in the immediate future. 

Mr C and I drive back to NL on Saturday---where did May go?!? 

Have a happy, relaxing evening, lovely WAISters. You all deserve it! xxx
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

I do agree with the comments about Ned, he is a gawjus lad!  <3

Podds, I echo Chuggy's words and hope that things have gone smoothly for you - and that the DG is doing as well as he can (((Pods))).

DL, at least it's a good time to be without heating! I do hope things are sorted before the winter (by which I mean next week!). Yes, how is the FC getting on?

Am still ~~~~ing for C3 and hope he gets his job. How lovely that C2 is looking after him :) How is C1, is she home after her adventures?

No, we haven't had a whole new kitchen - don't think I could bear that so soon after the last one - but we have had some more units and work surface put in as there was not enough for us. So now we have to decide where to put things - MS put them in one cupboard, I move them somewhere else  :D  Wardrobes won't be done until early July.

Sky had 7 teeth out yesterday, poor girl, and has gone into hiding (under our bed) since she came home yesterday afternoon. She is eating well and came out for litter tray and fuss this afternoon, so I'm sure she will come round again. Not convinced of the wisdom of taki9ng her back to vet for check-up on Saturday though!

Sending (((hugs))) to all,

WAIST well xxx
  • Options

:o morning all - ah poor Sky :(

(((Podds))) hope things are going ok

sounds like you are settling in nicely now Sluggy :)

I hope C3 hears something soon - waiting is horrible

its very warm here - musn't complain because its lovely to have the sunshine - but at my age its a bit more tricky! :o

• Options
    oh I chopped the end of my post off! - just saying it was intervals last night which was slower than usual and very sweaty - attractive!
  • Options
    Hats off to you for intervals in this heat, JFF! I say 'this heat' cos it's hot here too: have to get up early so Monty and I can have a walk. By 9 am it's too hot. (Due to have 32 C here today.) Can't really imagine running in this!

Sluggie, it may not be an ENTIRELY new kitchen, but lots of lovely new workspace sounds good to me! And lots of sympathy to Sky, but if it's what she needed, she will be a much happier kitty now. Truffle had to have all her teeth out, but she felt so much better afterward, and it deffo didn't stop her eating. She will feel better soon. 

Just popped in really to let you all know that WAISter vibes are the BEST. C3 just rang: he got the place!!!! Much shrieking and happy dancing from highly relieved parents, as Brexit has left him in a bit of a pickle and there wasn't a very obvious Plan B (tho we would have found one, of course). C3 is totally chuffed, as this law firm (the biggest and most international one in NL) have said they will help him qualify in whatever country he wants. Mega-relief and jubilation! So thank you all, cos I'm dead sure those vibes helped :-)))))) 

Time to climb down from Cloud 9 and do the ironing. ;-) 

• Options

congrats to C3 :)

now get on with the ironing Chuggy - **sneaks in a few extra items** 

• Options
    Evening chaps 
    sorry for my absence, night shifts and heat do not go too well together, I am getting in to the habit of doing FGO on my way home from nights to save some pennies so it was gone 9 before I got home, seen the clock go through a few hours since ..GPO decided he needed to join me as well and I could do without a fur coat when trying to sleep!

ive scanned through, congrats to C3!

Fartynhave you thought of Cani X with Ned? Obviously not now but in the future that sounds right up his strasser !!

Pods, hope things are easing for you, don't let work insist on being a priority at the moment, they can wait

Sluggy, having had one go at a new kitchen I am not in a hurry to repeat it! Poor sky and her teef...can't wait to get to that stage with the ginger ninja !!

well done on being an ancient member DL!

Daffs, I prescribe sun and ice lollies

Pippi, I prescribe half term
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Phew, it's here!

Yay for C3!

(however, we have now not appointed a deputy head, not advertised for any teachers ... those of us remaining are horror-struck at the thought of juggling it all, while the Head says how worried she is, while not actually doing much about it!!!)

Thankfully I don't know anyone personally caught up in Manchester although several of Pippette's pupils and one colleague were there, but all okay. One of my colleagues lost a friend of a friend. We think that many of our own children had been to see Little Mix locally at the weekend and might otherwise have gone to Manchester ...

You seem to be settling in Sluggie. Have you opened all the boxes yet?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    hi all

sorry, have been so busy haven't had time to pop in, what with work and the constant battle with a 16 year old boy who is on 'study leave' who doesn't think he should the 'study' bit of it......

I have read back but only retained the info about C3 - well done to C3!!!

strained my calf, so didn't do outlaw half last weekend, saw someone about it on Wednesday, I seem to be stiff all over, back locked up, etc.... oh well.....guess I better do some stretching

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Morning :-)

Yay to C3 :-) WAISTER vibes are magic :-) A fab achievement and a relief for you all.  And however lovely visitors are sending them home is the best bit :-)

Pippi,  why haven't the jobs been advertised? Sounds a poor situation.  Does this mean that come September the posts will be unfilled?  You've got a keeper there with Mr P being handy :-)

JFF, intervals this weather or any running for that matter is tough- well done. Bless Ned :-)  I'm sure you'll both benefit from dawggie school :-)

Poor Sky! Life is traumatic for her at the moment.  As Chuggy says,  Sky will be feeling so much better now they've gone.  Do you have plans A, B, C and D for your cupboards? I can picture you flat like a wartime operations room with items being moved into the appropriate place on the plan :-)

Oh so it wasn't pippa Middletons do you were at,  m.... eldy :-(  Sounds fab though.  Warm weather and shifts doesn't sound fun esp if GPO wants to snuggle.  Did you see the FB rehoming ad for the utter,  utter,  utter bastard of a cat.  Described as not being for the faint hearted owner.  I thought of you and fluffykins :-)

Usual busy week of run club,  AGM,  track session,  mummy but the highlight was bird and me meeting up with Podds,  DG,  Elvis and Tom.  After paying homage to the lads we went to beautiful betteshanger and tackled the beast- a giant inflatable obstacle course which was trickier than you'd imagine.  Fab day,  Fab fun and fab company :-)  They're coming to fix my thermostat today.  Prob too warm to get heating to kick in.  Hope its a different chap... M........ eldy,  after a cold race I can turn my hot water on via my phone so I'm straight into the bath :-) 
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    We are now looking for a thingy to turn the heating on via phone ... At least we won't need it for a few months!

How lovely to meet up with Podds. Was it you that caused the brawling on the beach at Margate?

I went with Pippette to the theatre yesterday to see my birthday present of Romeo and Juliet - turned out to be Romeo and Julius! very well done, audience absolutely silent. Funny how you know the story, but seeing it live has you on the edge of your seat to find out what's going to happen! The Everyman theatre has just restarted its own rep company - many big names started here in the 60s and 70s. There is one particularly good actor with them now - big, bearded bloke, but has a great presence and is very athletic - can jump and cartwheel across the stage (we saw him as Bottom last year!).

I'm a bit croaky. I thought it was because I'd used my teacher voice on Friday, but i'm feeling a bit under the weather today - no worse than that, so let's hope it stays that way! (ie doesn't get worse - I'd like it to get better!). Good intentions of a bike ride, now the wind has dropped, but really don't feel that's a good idea. I've bought myself some bar tape, so there's a new skill to acquire ...
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Yaaaay for C3, am so glad that he got the job he wants :)

Yums, how lovely to have met up with Podds and the houndie boys :) I'm glad you had a good time.

Sounds like a great performance Pippi. Sorry that you are feeling rough now though :(

I'm sure your memories are good enough to go back 1 week, to when I was so pleased to have my kitchen units installed? Today they all fell off  :o Thankfully no-one was hurt and, apart from the units and work surface, there was little colateral damage. Just a toaster, breadbin, mug, bottle of wine and jar of marmalade! Of course, being bank holiday, we cannot contact anyone until Tuesday. Am hoping against hope that the company do the decent thing, otherwise I will shout their name far and wide  :#

We are also still having problems with BT, this time with the TV more than the broadband. Am heartily sick of it!

Mum was OK today. The deterioration is rapid and clear to see, but she was calm and content and that is all we can hope for.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx