working at it slowly

Comments

• Oh dear Yums - you would have hoped the hozzie could have been a bit more practical!

Re the glasses I have 2 pairs of single lenses which live in the car - 1 have been sunglassed, 1 not.....  I don't use glasses generally otherwise although I sometimes use an old pair to read the Sky menu on tv!!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

(((Podds))) I am sorry you have had to cancel whatever it was because someone did not do what they said they would. I'm afraid that is something that makes me very angry  :# I think your 'aaaarrrrgggghhhh' was completely justified!

Yums, sorry that you are now having problems with your eyesight. FFIW, I wear transition varifocals and find them OK in the car. I do have a pair of (single vision, long distance) prescription sunnies but don't really use them now that I am not cycling - but I did find them useful on the bike. I also have a pair of overglasses that make one look as if a white stick and guide dog have been left at home. I don't wear them often!

The hozzie appointment for Yummy Mummy sounds aggravating, to say the least. I hope all is well.

SM is very slow of late. It takes her ages to move her head, open her mouth for food, respond to a question. In fact, a whispered 'yes' when offered chocolate was the only word she uttered during our visit yesterday. It is only recently that the 'please' has been forgotten. :(

Skycat is eating about twice as much as alf but not obviously putting on weight. I think she is a bit more wobbly but MS disagrees. Time will tell.

We have just had a thunderstorm with a torrential downpour but it seems to have cleared now. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend.
  • Aww Sluggie - sounds like SM is slowly fading away, but I guess from her point of view it's a nice way to go.........just much more difficult for those around her 

Glad Skye is still eating - I'm a great believer in these cases that so long as the animal is happy in itself and eating etc then enjoy each day as it comes..........they have a huge advantage over us humans in as much as they don't know they are ill, or that the end is in sight...........they just know full tummies and full hearts from being loved..........

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Just read back. :) and (()) as needed

Busy week. My great-niece got married near Stratford on Avon (hurrah! another visit when I didn't have to run round with you lot!). Very nice service in a hotel, spent with Mr Ps side of the family.

Then on to see my sister who has moved to Worcestershire, so about 40 minutes drive away. We haven't visited her there before. My brother from NZ, his wife and son then came too on the Sunday. It's about 10 years since I've seen my brother who has had and recovered from cancer in that time - also various other health problems. I hadn't expected him to travel again, but his younger son in Canada got married again in June, so they went for that. While he was there, he celebrated his 80th (he is a lot older than me!). They then toured the Rockies, I think, came to Europe and did a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, then to England and Wales, where they visited wife's sister on the south coast and haunts from their youth in the Peak District and North Wales before the final 5 days with me and my sister! He looked a lot better than I had expected - just like his old self really, but a bit slower, and on the holiday had a few days when he wasn't up to the trips out from the cruise. My nephew did all the driving and organising for them!

Mr P came home on Monday to work nights, and Pippette came down the following day and stayed a while before returning home with me!

:D

Did a bit more of the Wales Coast Path yesterday - Bangor to Caernarfon. Tidying up and sorting out the house today. Then I am going to sort out work stuff, so it is done and dusted for me to forget about!

Wow - miniyums 18 and SB 31. We have all grown together and been through a lot on here, havent' we?

• morning all :)

oh MC your holiday sounds fab!

elderly parents are a bit of a chore aren't they - worth it though of course :) It does seem like SM is just fading away as Podds said - I know its terribly sad but avoiding pain and the upset that comes with confusion is a much kinder way to go.

talking of which my Mum is still doing well - after an infection last week she was very alert and responsive on sunday - she responded to my cuddle and kissed me  - which is wonderful

Podds - feel free to rant, the saying "if you need something doing ask a busy person" is literally true in my experience!

I had a cut back week with the running and went to parkrun instead - got an official time of 25:04! which I'm amazed by. I think it measures a bit short on my garmin but I'm taking it! 

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Pippi, it sounds like a lovely weekend with lots of family events :) As you say, we have been together as a group for a long time and supported each other through many life events.

Jenni, I'm so glad that you had a good visit with your mum, I bet that kiss and cuddle was precious. Well done on your PR, that is a very decent time.
  • "We have all grown together and been through a lot on here, haven't we?"

That's a lovely, and very true, sentiment Pippi. 

Given that WAISTers is more than a decade old (I can't remember exactly how old) our lives have all changed - some more than others...

Did any of us every think we'd be where we are now?  Not just this thread but the lasting friendships and the personal challenges we've faced and overcome?
  • Just checked - the thread started Feb 2004 which makes us 13 1/2 years old!!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I guess the recent problems with the forum could be down to teenage tantrums then! 
  • Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    Lol Sluggy :dizzy:

Goodness me, a lot's happened in the last thirteen years... Three different boyfriends for a start! Far too many races. Several jobs and a PhD. Various organs removed (well, one and some teeth I suppose). I have acquired three nephews, and undergone all manner of family upheaval, as I suspect many of us have. 

And today I appear to have agreed to buy several acres of national park, which are currently occupied by a flock of sheep which nobody will admit to owning. Just call me Farmer Daffs... :D
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Crikey Daffs! I guess it's roast lamb for dinner then?!  >:)
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Yay Daffers - is there a house with the sheep and the field?

Pippi - sounds like you had a grand weekend of family gatherings and events

Yay for the park run PB Farty. 

(((Skycat)))

WAISTERS are getting on a bit - no wonder the eyesight is fading!

We were camping last week. Booked it ages ago so XFC could come with us. XFC stayed home! Had a good time towards the beginning - decentish weather, trip to Lewes, trip to Brighton. There was just the drama of XFC back home which meant we ended up cutting the trip short and coming home early. That and the day where it rained and blew and rained and rained, oh and rained. At least this trip we had the not leaky tent. Think our camping days are numbered. OH moaned greatly about sleeping (or not) on a camping mat in a tent. 

Any room in your suitcase MC?

Happy weekend everyone
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    morning :-)

Ah Jenni, how lovely that your mum has recovered from her infection and can appreciate hugs and kiss you. I can only imagine how your heart glows when she does that :-)

(((sluggy))) I'm sad to hear SM is really not herself now. It must be heartbreaking for you :-( It is good to hear Sky cat has a decent apetite as i always take that as a sign she is feeling reasonably well. Thank you for sharing your experience of glasses  with me 

Daffy!!  I imagine you'll be knitting lots of jumpers soon :-) Which national park? It sounds as though they'll be room for a WAISTer retirement community. I have everything crossed it all goes through for you.

Pippi, what a fantastic family reunion. i'm glad that your very much older brother has recovered so well from his illness. I'm sure seeing him so well put your mind at rest.  The coastal path sounds wonderful. How much have you done and how much do you have left to do ?

((Podds)))  chuffin unreliable people letting you down. You do so much and clearly they don't recognise that. I'm sorry I was running today so couldn't make it. I would love to have come along and let the houndies steal my heart. I think I'd struggle not to fall in love and bring several home. I hope it has all gone well. How are Elvis and delightfully dotty Tom ?

DL, you've been camping again, really? This is the United Kingdon you know and you cannot rely on the British weather. What were you thinking. Quite frankly, I don't blame poor old OH for being unimpressed sleeping on a camping mat.  I think it's about time you spolied her and got her a log cabin - same great outdoors but proper beds and toilet/shower. Goodness knows what sort of crisis XFC had but what with the weather and camping mat, did you pay her to call you so you could pack up early :-)

Busy week here consisting of usual run club/mother stuff but then went to a drumming group - think the junior school musical instrument box tipped out on the floor and various types of bongos and drums. I'm disappointed there was no melodica.  Also out at run chum's 30th birthday cocktail do last night. Ran 12 lumpy off road miles this morning. I have my new glasses. Riding my bike wearing them felt as though I was sitting on top of a very tall horse. Sometimes they feel natural, sometimes really weird. I haven't yet mastered reading my computer screen at work at all. Hopefully I'll adjust before I stamp on the bliddy things. Ma is ok. She's talking about going in to a retirement community so I took her to register with the local estate agent. She has another eye appt at hozzie on Saturday.  Fancy that -WAISters are teenagers. How lovely indeed we have been here for each other through the good and not so difficult times. I certainly count myself lucky to have such good friends who have made such a difference to my life over the years

WAIST well my lovelies
    x

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

DL, I really think you should take this as a sign that your camping days are over - it appears that OH has already come to this decision! How typical of a teenager to not participate in something that was arranged for their convenience - I do hope the drama was easily rectified.

Yums, it's good that your Ma is thinking about the future but this is certainly not the kind of move to undertake without a great deal of thought. I hope you get used to your specs soon. If not, the optician might be able to adjust them a little without having to return them to the lab. 

Sadly unable to participate in Podds's houndie event, MS and I went to a local dog show yesterday. This was a 'serious' one rather than something for charity, so not quite as much fun. However, it was 'Toy and Hound' day, so we saw many lovely dogs, including breeds that were new to me ( try 'Bolognese' for starters!). We missed the greyhounds but saw lots of whippets, salukis, afghans, wolfhounds and ridgebacks. Also a few basenjis, elkhounds, otterhounds and Ibizan hounds. I love big dogs, it was great to have so many in one place. The afghan pups were adorable too, even though I am not too fussed on them as adults.

SM seems to have perked up again - although she never gets quite back to where she was before the decline. The constant ups and downs are very hard to deal with.

Sky-cat is also doing well, the steroids are certainly giving her an appetite! It is clear that neither she nor SM intend to leave us just yet :)

(((WIN)))
  • Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Yay for Daffs! Any room for DLs tent in the sheepy grounds?
    Good to know that SM has some better days. It can be very up and down and quite emotionally draining, can't it?
    Anglesey was lovely. We began with a DL moment when the inflatable mattress didn't ... we did however find the hole and repair it. It lasted till morning each night as long as we blew it up pretty well before we retired ... That one is now in the bin.
    First day, a bit grey and drizzly, as forecast. Amazing views over the beach and marshes at Red Wharf Bay. We managed to get a combination of buses back to the campsite.
    Next day from Bychan to Amlwch - bit drizzly off and on to start then beautifully warm and clear. Moelfre was having a lifeboat day so we diverted to a cake stall! We went through beaches, cliffs, sea marshes with birds, such a variety. Got to Amlwch rather later than we had expected ... buses still running but the next one that would suit us would be in an hour and a half. There was a taxi office nearby so we went with Plan B!
    Yesterday we went from Cemaes (who were having a Lifeboat Day! we didn't divert to see it ...) to Amlwch and back. We did not even think about attempting to get a bus on a Sunday in North Wales! Again, dramatic cliffs and bays and some interesting industrial archaeology (from the copper mining?). Only sour note ... the chippy in Cemaes is shut on a Sunday, so we went to a restaurant.
    There will be a blog write up - hopefully this week, or I'll forget. I do a blog for my own benefit as we used to forget what we had done and when!
    Now I am trying to get washing done as we go to Iceland on Friday and won't be back until the day before the start of term!!!
  • morning each

Iceland Pippi - how fab! definitely on my bucket list I need to hear all about it

the thought of camping leaves me cold - I have done it in the past but I really don't think I could face sleeping in a tent these days. It seems to be OK when you have the big tent and all the gear (trailer etc) but that's all a bit too organised for me. We do have a campervan though which we love.

• I hate camping.....just saying like.....

But can I just say that Pam Ferris (actress) is such a lovely person....
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Random posts there Podds!!!!

Iceland Pippi - how exciting! Hope you've been saving up for the beer!

Yay for rallying parents  - long may it continue

We were due to go to a festival this weekend. We have sold our tickets. 

How many come back this year??? I have started running again. Blinkety hell running is hard! But Farty - did you get a Tissington place? I'm thinking a half marathon in early October may be beyond me .....

Happy sunny Tuesday
  • woohoo! well done DL. If you book a race it will force you to train (in theory) I didn't enter Tissington - I thought it filled up quickly. Pretty sure spence is doing it and she did have a spare place. I'm doing Birmingham marathon in October - yikes!

I've never met Pam Ferris but I would imagine she is very nice

• Hello chaps :-)

before I forget what I've read ...

Yums, I've worn glasses for decades and have had an issue with sun or glasses, the transition lenses (as they are called these days) have a slight permanent tint to them any way ...you can also usually get a bogof with a pair of prescription sunglasses which may suit your needs,  I too now have the varifocals which are fine with the exception of computer work which is neither long nor short vision ....

you our may or may not have seen on FB that I too have found signs of a hedgepig!! Well, I founds its poo and that's almost enough!   I shall have to do some night time stalking now, I'm hoping they may short work of my slugs that have taken a liking to my marigolds!

• Does anyone know what Podds thinks of camping ?? :-)
  • I appear to have lost several weeks, one on 'active recovery' in France and another back at work, so apart from hedgehog poo and varifocals I am not re is much more to tell
    chuggy, so glad that the hip flexors are working again, far too nice this time of the year not to be out and about
    Sluggy, I'm glad Skye and SM are choosing their own time, all the best do that you know

only 2 days off for me this time round, managed to shoe horn in some lunch with my pal sue today as it is her birthday tomorrow.

i am off to wales for a few days next week with a couple of pirate ladies, nice to be able to have that opportunity when I fancy these days
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

DL, another comeback? Are you trying to emulate Westie?  :D

Podds, I completely share your opinion of camping!

Yumms, I hope you soon get used to your specs.

Meldy, I bet it feels very strange to be able to go away without having to arrange care for the FGO. Who wrangles the GPO while you are gone?

Not much to report here, just more of the same.

(((WIN)))
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    oooh Podds - is Badger coming home with you tonight???? He's a lovely looking chap
    or maybe Badger is a she?

Farty - I entered the Tissington early this year in the hopes of spurring me on - it didn't. I have recently managed two, 30 minute run walk attempts. I am thinking a half  marathon in 6 weeks might just be a little over ambitious - I'm not Daffers! I'm lining up potential people who may want a place if I can't work a miracle.

Happy Welsh trip M.eldy.

We continue to live the teenage drama. At least the sun is shining.

Happy is it nearly the weekend?
  • Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    Ooh, badger is gorgeous! :) 

DL, if you do Tissington I'll come and cheer you on :D If we've moved by then you can bring your tent and camp at my new house, it's a short drive from the start :D Might even let you inside the house if you behave (and if you decide to wimp out on the morning, I'll feed you cake and won't tell anyone ;) ) :dizzy:

Welcome back Meldy (and bye again, globe trotter!) Very excited about your hedgepig :D Hope it doesn't get into an argument with the GPO!

((((waisters with elderly relatives, young relatives, in fact any relatives at all, they all cause trouble sooner or later)))))))) 

Nothing to report here. Not running, not doing anything much, except cursing people who aren't here to send me paperwork I probably won't want when it arrives :D How people move house several times in quick succession I'll never know - I'd never have the patience, my nerves are shot and barely anything has happened yet! 
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain Daffs!

We have just said 'Goodbye' to our first 'official' visitors to the flat, some friends who came for dinner. It does make the place seem even more like home now :)
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    It's been a busy night with the rain giving cover to furtive goings on - 
    one dead baby rat on the rug of sacrifice
    one dead baby bird on the back step

Joy to the world