working at it slowly

Comments

• Morning All

Time to 'fess up...........and yes, as you have all guessed Badger has come home with me to become the new 3rd member of the 3 Amigos.......

He's just under 3 years old and didn't race - not sure if it was lack of prey drive or lack of speed but he'll fit in well with me if it's the latter!!

Sadly he's been out and been returned twice since December..........with the result that we were looking for an experienced, child free home and I guess I fit the bill.  It was very difficult choosing between him and Josh who is a 7 year old black boy looking for a home but I'm hopeful someone will take Josh soon.............

He's been home 48 hours and so far hasn't put a paw wrong.......still need to bite the bullet and to the first "leave him home alone" but until Tesco deliver my 2nd stair gate so I can put him in the kitchen for safety I can't go anywhere!!

Hopefully down the line I'll be confident enough to leave him with the other 2 as I have with all my boys in the past but as he's currently sporting a nasty cut inside his upper lip (may yet need stitches) due to a possible punch up with his ex kennel mate I'm not tempting fate just yet!!  And a stair gate on the kitchen allows them all to see each other still as the kitchen opens off the lounge......

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Oh Podds, how exciting! I'm afraid I must have missed previous mentions of Badger but am very happy to welcome home into the WAISTer family! :)
  • Just a very large piccie on the previous page Sluggie!!!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, am not sure how I managed to miss that! Badger certainly is a hansum lad and it is easy to see how he got his name. I hope he will settle quickly.
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    ahh Podds - Greyhound chess. Manoeuvring your houndies to great effect I see. How jolly exciting - sure you can't squeeze in one more....?????

I have just done my 3rd run of this comeback. It must surely be time to give up again??

• 3's a good number DL
    - 3 houndies
    - 3 runs I managed on my comeback before...........stopping
    - 3 runs on your comeback!!

3 is the magic number  :)
  • Ahhhh hello Badger !

He looks proper handsum  and nice to have a young hound for a change Podds,  I think we said that before

3 comeback runs DL?  that's very nearly a full week!   You will be right on track for Tissington now

I am not off to Wales until next Thursday, hoping summer may appear by then as it seems to have done a vanishing trick so far this august,  I was playing wshing roulette this afternoon and I think I managed a whole hour on the line and then back indoors it came!

I have more hedgepig poo today but no sightings of the hedgepigs,  I am home about 0230 today so I might try and sneak up on them,  the less said about that ruddy kingfisher the better tho,  I swear he can spot me and the camera !!

• YumsYums ✭✭✭
    morning :-)

oooh, hello Badger. I saw his lonely hearts on the FB page. Why has the poor fella been returned twice? Your house set up is ideal for a new hound nursery and safe territory for the established home boys. Paws crossed for him, you and the boys that he continues to behave impeccably :-)  I will be down for a visit once he has settled in :-)Ta for the glasses advice :-) So you love Pam Ferris but hate camping - sound fair :-)

Pippi, orth Wales sounds fab but it is a shame that it has all those places with unpronouncable names although it probably gives the feeling of being abroad :-) The RNLI do indeed save lives but I hadn't realised it was with cake. Iceland, how fab. Be a love and get me a prawn ring and a Sarah Lee gateaux while you're there

Sluggy, its good to hear SM has improved alittle but  it must be very hard to bear. Us hoomans are generally not very got at uncertainty. I have never heard of a dog breed called bolognese. If I saw one called no 34 sweet and sour hong kong i'd be a little worried.

Daffy, how is the purchase of the ancestral home going ? I imagine there may be a waister campsite/ B&B going on and everyone doing Tissington

Yay to yet another comeback for you, DL. i am getting the impression that you have a short memory - you seem to forget that camping doesn't like you and that you have a similar relationship with running. Mind you if you're saying there are teenage dramas I can perhaps see your motivation

oooh, hedggie poo, M.....eldy. I always said you talked sh1t :-) How exciting. It took me weeks to catch hedggie. I suspect he takes random routes but he has been seem between nightfall and 11pm.  As for the Kingfisher, it does sound as though he's pretty smart and may have been wise to your stalking. Hopefully he'll settle and come back. 

Thanks all for the glasses advice. I think you hit the nail on the head, M...eldy when you said screen work is neither close or long distance. I am getting there but the bliddy things pinch my nose and are uncomfortable. I'll stick it out another week to see if I can live with the varifocals but I'm sure the nose thing will still need sorting as i have red marks:-(
    Life here is busy. Yesterday and today spent with ma for various reasons so feeling very squeezed time wise trying to fit in essential home jobs. Also stressing about my run training group being too quick for me even though they slowed down for me. Last week's run I really struggled mentally and physically over the last 1.5 miles. Run leader says they are going too fast and that as the runs lengthen they will slow - so will I! I'm finding it a bit much and and crapping myself with doubt. I only have to do 8 today but getting in  a state about it. I'm having meltdown over the distances which is silly as i've run 15 and 19 miles before but always with buddies of a similar ability. The easy and obvious option is to give up but I'm hoping that if I can stick it out a couple of weeks the lady who is slower than me will be back. Sorry, for wibbling. I don't think menopausal hormones help!
    x

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Yums, I do hope your run group slow down for you, or run round and scoop you up, it is very bad form to just run off and leave you :( If you are not enjoying the group, is there any other you could try? I hope you get your specs sorted too, it certainly makes life easier!

How exciting for those of you who have hedgepiggies! We used to have them visit the old house regularly in the first few years we were there but had not seen them for a very long time. There were badgers in the area, so that could have been why! Haven't seen any sign of them where we are now.

Podds, I like your theory of 3 :) Don't think it is going to work here for 3 cats though! I have promised Alf that he will be an Only Cat if/when Sky goes. Although Madam clearly has no intention of leaving us just yet, I am very pleased to say!

SM is also doing as well as she can - she was reasonably alert when we were there today and managed to say a few words (that made sense). 

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend.

(((WIN)))
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning 

Hope the run proved less stressful than expected Yums. It,s a reason I never want to join a club. I' d rather be convinced by the voices in my head to slow down and walk than have to listen to real people spurring me on to better myself! Hence this morning's pathetic attempt running less than I managed last week.

We are down to one cat Sluggie. We got up to 4 at one point. Have to say I think Blur prefers having the house to herself. She used to be held hostage to part of the house before.

Had a weekend of hedge massacring. Started with the aim of trimming. Went a bit too far. Think I trapped a mosquito up my t shirt. I have loads of bites tracing the outline of my bra. It's kind of like a strange art installation. I could video myself and win the Turner prize.

Happy Monday everyone.
  • morning all

I have that picture in my head now thanks DL

Yums I often think that people in my club do their training runs too fast - they all get a bit competitive, I think when you are training for a long distance the long run should just be really easy pace. how about doing the long run on your own? - plan a nice route, take a radio and some snacks 

sadly I haven't seen a hedgepig for a few years :( used to be lots about when I was a kid

congratulations on your new family member Podds - sounds like he will be just fine with you xx

I did a half marathon on Sunday - it was Leek and it was the hilliest race ever! but I rather enjoyed it. did it in 2:08 and was really rather pleased with that and it was excellent hill training :)

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    So you won't be needing the photos then Farty?

Supposed to be hot and sunny today. Instead it's grey and humid - very disappointing.

It's hard working in the summer holidays when everyone you need to make decisions and move things on is actually on holiday.

Yay for the hill conquering JFF

Is it nearly Friday?????
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

DL, I am another who doesn't need the photo, thank you! It must be really frustrating trying to get things done when most people you need to liaise with are on holiday :( I suggest retirement  :D

FarFar, that's a pretty nifty time for a hilly half, well done :)

Yums, I think Jenni is right about the long runs, they are supposed to be slow and easy! If you are not enjoying running with the group, you might be better off doing your own thing (although I am rather cross, on your behalf, that the group is going off too fast and leaving you behind  :# )

It has been quite humid here too. Yesterday it felt more like the rainforest than a town! 

• Evening.....will post properly tomorrow!  Early results gcse tomorrow so my "leaders" will be buzzing around me desperate to see how we've done. School usually opens at 8am, I tell them no earlier than 8.30am for 1st results (have to be downloaded) but have secret arrangement with site manager to open just for me at 7am to give me peace and quiet
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Can I just say

teenagers - aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thank you for your indulgence
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    (((DL)))

Podds, hope you have got through the day unscathed!
  •  morning all - DL its Friday! I hope that's some consolation

my 20-somethings are still as frustrating as when they were teenagers! sorry that's not much help :\

how did the exam results go Podds?

run club last night - I love the intervals session, I think its kept my race pace over the last year when it probably would have slowed down to a jog otherwise. I never thought I would be a running club person either DL so you never know,,,

• Morning chaps

woke early, coffee in bed whilst I catch up on the internet and do some spending
  • Hi all

Sorry, if I try to read back I don't think I will remember any of it! Hope everyone is well

We had a fantastic holiday, the solar eclipse was simply the most amazing thing I have witnessed in my life, I want to go and see another one because it was over too quickly. The rockies were so beautiful too. Back to reality, school uniform shopping and all that hassle, and back to work on Monday :(

Unfortunately eldest son failed GCSE English :( We are asking for a remark but he is going to need to resit. It was a bit of a shock because he thought that that exam had gone ok, and we had had a private tutor all year for him! He did well in sciences and maths though, and even got a B in Spanish which is amazing as his Spanish is rubbish and he literally would not let me help him.....

On Wednesday the Tour of Britain will go past my house but unfortunately I will be 30 miles away at work, will miss it all and then struggle to get home because of the after party etc that is going on in Newark all evening
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    morning :-)

how are we all ? Still reeling from GCSE results ? How did it go, Podds?  Were you Mrs popular for the right reasons ?

DL, its good to know you are out running. I take anything as a bonus these days  :-)  Its a shame they dont give you the holidays off too. Have you thought about asking ? 

What have you been spending on, m......edly ? Something nice I hope. By a process of elimination its got to be either shoes or lycra related.

Sluggy, its good to hear that SM is a little better. It must make your visits a little easier.  Lovely news too that Sky cat is doing so well. Although from what you say I'm not sure Alfie feels the same!

Podds, please tell us how badger is getting along? I know you said he hadn't put a paw wrong in the couple of days he'd been with you. Any idea why he was returned twice. What do Elvis and Tom make of him ? I so hope he has found his place with you, Mr P and the boys :-)

Jenni, Leek sounds a challenge but you conquered it. Fab time too. A club does present us with sessions like intervals that we probably wouldn't do on our own. i'm not sure I want to hear that twenty somethings are as much a pain as teens

All normal here :-)  I took as few days off and have been pottering at home painting and gardening. I never achieve half of what I set myself and look back and wonder what happened - kids - they either want feeding or taking somewhere. Anyhoo, you are indeed right that I may be better off going it alone rathern than with the club for now. They have slowed down and dont abandon me but I have to run faster than my little old gambol along. My 8 miles was a struggle and my hip was not good for days. I ran/walked my 14 last weekend which was a struggle in the heat for the last few miles but hip quite good afterwards - weird. I am hoping that the slow lady is back this week in which case I will go out with the club. Having taken a tumble it has made me more aware that if I run off road I am alittle vulnerable to turning an ankle and stuck out there. In other news mutual friends fixed me up with a friend of theirs. Everything says it wont work - shes 39, outgoing, very sociable and not into exercise but we seem to communicate as if we've know each other for years and appear to have similar values. If i'm honest I don't think it will get going but its interesting taking an objective look at it

WAISt well all
    xx
  • hello all

its very quiet in here these days

I'm glad you had such a lovely holiday MC :)

oooh yums! you just never know this new friend may turn out to be the love of your life, or a lovely new friend, or a pleasant acquaintance - have an open mind and an open heart :)

I'm still plodding along, work is busy with boss on holiday but 2 weeks without him has its compensations

• Afternoon all,

Welcome home Mc, I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday :)

Yumms, Jenni is right - if you go into this with an open mind, you might find a new love, make a new friend or just have some fun. You deserve any and all of those!

Jenni, as you say, it is very quiet in the lounge these days :( 

Not much to report here in Sluggyland.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx
  • evening

yums, it has been years since I had that kind of easy communication with someone - hope it turns into at least a good friendship if nothing else, I miss those kind of friendships that I had when I was younger - must be something about getting married and having kids that I have ended up just working and being with family

• Evening

Apologies for absence.....WILL report back in full tomorrow
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

Has indeed been quiet in here. Can't blame my silence on running my come-back has been and gone again - oops.

Oooh Yums - how exciting - hope something happy comes from this unexpected union

Looking forward too to see how Badger has won the hearts and minds of his new houndie mates

Had a rather jolly weekend - late birthday celebration with friends. Went off to that Welsh Wales overnight and did the zip wire thing that the Dragon did. it was actually quite sunny and happy. Unlike Sunday when we went to Portmerion in a monsoon.

work to do - best get on - happy new term, education types
  • Afternoon all,

It seems that the weather-god has decided that the return to school is best accompanied by autumnal temperatures, rain and strong winds (here, at least). It is getting to the stage where I will have to put socks on!

Podds, yes, we are agog to hear all about Badger and how he is settling into the Houndie Pack.

Not much happening here. We went to see Mum this morning but she was fast asleep so we only stayed about 45 minutes. Choir for me this evening.

(((WIN)))

• Afternoon All

Well we have survived GCSE results - down on last year but then we expected nothing less............last year's year 11 were a very "special" year........and on the plus side they did as we predicted, so at least there were no nasty surprises even if the results weren't as good as we would have liked in an ideal world :)

Badger is settling in really well and forming quite a union with Tom :)  Elvis, of course, just lets the world go by him and so long as nobody's on his sofa he's quite content.  He's always been a very self contained dog!!

Tom is still protest piddling but on the plus side it's a) not quite as often, and b) not being overpiddled by Badger..........

Walks are messy as T and B keep on piddling on each other's heads and B piddles up the back of his front legs too so we have permanent baby wipes at the front door :)

My sporting endeavours are somewhat non-endeavoured..............although I am doing more dog walking as E can't go very far and T and B need a longer walk in the morning and often one in the afternoon too...........

School has indeed started again............teachers in the last couple of day and the ankle biters are back tomorrow...........and I predict by lunchtime it'll be as if they've never been away!

Sounds like the usual running mix in the lounge from the more diligent, Yums and JFF, to those taking it a little easier...............not looking at anyone DL ;)

Also Yums - go with the flow, see what happens :)  if it's good it's good if not then at least you gave it a chance.......

Glad SM still seems to be comfortable Sluggie...and how about you and your back these days?  Any improvement longer term from the implants?

Hey ho - must go now......but now we're back in the official swing of things I'll be more likely to pop in each day!! 
  • I'm back! Podds, you make dogs sound so much fun!

Iceland was absolutely amazing!!! even more than expected! and the weather was better than Shetland last year .... I spent quite a lot of the holiday in shorts and Tshirt, or jeans and Tshirt at least, though on a few days I did wear my coat, hat and gloves (but not many).
    Some photos downloaded. I will upload some at some point and i might even tell you more about it!
    Got back Sunday afternoon, school on Monday, kids back yesterday. Hours of work to get done.

Go for it, Yums!

• evening

podds, your GCSE results sound like ours - we also had a 'special' year group

I don't much like this being back at work and our focus this year is 'growth mindset' - what a load of b*ll*cks

In other news, on results day my son had failed English language, but we asked for a remark and it turns out he has passed after all - thank god!!

pippi - oh I would love to go to Iceland