working at it slowly

Comments

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    Afters

((((Podds' knees)))) 

Your house move is certainly becoming quite epic Daffers. 

Hope the funeral wasn't too awful Sluggie

Farty - you is well old 

Managed another run. Must have beaten last year's record already! Pink shoes have arrived. They are of the bright variety. There will be no losing me of a dark morning ( much to OH's dismay)

Hope the weekend brings you something special.
  • This weekend actually brought me some running, would you believe? 

I was a bit daunted after my poor legs hurting on the treadmill, but I suspect that was trying to go too fast (in a bid to try to keep vaguely up with my pal who having just finished the couch to 5k for the first time ever is now running faster than I've ever done in a race at the peak of my fitness). 

Need to remember this isn't a bloody competition... 

Anyway, bit niggly for the first 1.5 miles, but lots of stretching and walking and it passed, and the rest was lovely - 2.5 miles gently uphill, then 2.5 miles back down - 10 minutes faster than I went up :D Most jolly. 

Saw a kingfisher sitting on a rock too :) 

This is why I like running :D Oh, and I've just scoffed a bowl of porridge and am about to get in a nice hot bath - that's why I like running too... ;):D
  • I'm waiting for a pizza takeaway after an epic disaster trying to cook toad-in-the-hole! Did an 8mile walk this morning with OH an some friends so feeling good about that :-)

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Daffs, that sounds like a lovely run - and the porridge and hot bath are suitably pleasant rewards :)

Flibs, I have never made a decent toad-in-the-hole and would prefer pizza anyway!

DL, I hope that things at home are calmer for now.

I see that Saturday evening TV is predictably rubbish.
  • Mmmm ... toad in the hole! I can never make it all nice and stodgy like my mum. It always comes out light and crisp like it's meant to!!! 
    Slept in, much needed and appreciated, so that made the parkrun decision for me. Miserable cold and drizzly here.
     Pippette has entered Helsby half tomorrow but the forecast is dreadful and her friend is injured, plus she wasn't well last week and hasn't trained (no surprise) so she doesn't think she'll go. It is her 29th birthday too! 
  •  Pippi you have a 29 year-old child that makes you even more ancient than me!

nice running there Daffers - I have never seen a kingfisher :(

bit bright in here - oh it's DLs new trainers B)

I did a 10k on Sunday - freezing cold, muddy, puddles - jolly good fun, only a small race but 50 from my club went along so very exciting. I was the 1st old lady - hoorah!

• well my toad in the hole is really puffed up round the edges and soggy in the middle - the trick is to make a massive amount so the middle doesn't get cooked properly - my boys love it
  • Well done JFF - 1st old bird and chief toad-in-the-hole maker!!  Such accolades  :) r

Nothing much happening Chez Podds - Mr P is swanning round Europe yet again on a bleisure trip which means complicated 2-part early morning dog walking, covering lunch for piddles and nothing much in the evenings to keep the dogs company

And to add to that my good Weds cleaner phoned this evening to say she's quitting...............not just me luckily, but not doing any more private work for anyone.....

It's a real pain in the ass as now tomorrow I'll have to come home at lunchtime which makes it difficult to leave early which was my plan as some of us from work are going to see The Greatest Showman in the early sitting and I somehow have to feed and walk the pooches before meeting everyone at 6pm  :( 
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Sounds as if you need to be in 2 places at once Podds! Can't make any helpful suggestions, I'm afraid.
  • On Monday I'd triple booked myself = Dogs + exam + mentoring session.........needless to say didn't quite go to plan........  :D
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning

Podds - trade your pooches in for cats - they're much easier!

Hoorah for the runners and racers Farty first old lady and Daffers porridge in the bath!

Mmmm toad in the hole - haven't had it for ages - sounds like it's all round Farty's for dinner!

I went out for a run this morning - very blowy, then an armageddon rain cloud arrived. What larks.

Happy Wednesday - Hope the holes for your toads are of a suitable consistency

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

good morning lovely friends. I hope you are all well.

Good to hear you had a lovely trail race, Daffy. They are so much nicer than road although perhaps a little more difficult but you chose well with a fairly flat debut race and a kingfisher thrown in - cool. Shame that the house seems to be meandering along  in true Daffy style. it will probably come together really quickly and be a mad rush to  carry out the physical move.

DL I am positively bedazzled by your shining halo *puts on new reactions glasses*  Great news on the run and er great news I think on XFC moving back in.

Podds bad knees are a pain. They must be bad for you to complain. I know you've had various issues and surgical prodding but what is the issue do you think? Your week sounds hectic to say the least but heartwarming to know that your boys are some of the most loved and well cared for hounds out there.

Sorry you had a funeral to go to, Sluggy. That's unfortunately what happens when someone joins a bowls club especially as a younger member. My parents were at the crem so often we used to joke they should stay an wait  for their turn. Good to hear that Christmas was ok and that youre enjoying choir.

Mrs farfar, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a spare 30 mins to do something even if youre really keen. I cannot believe you have a child of 26. you're far too young :-)

Pippi, did Pippette run last sunday?  The weather was pretty foul. As for toad in the hole. I cannot make it either. n fact anything involving batter is a no no.  However your thin and crispy sounds good

Had a lovely windmill weekend. It was beautiful and quirky and so quiet but far too short.  On her actual birthday I treated NYL to standing on a burial mound in Sutton Hoo in the snow. it was bleak but memorable!  Mother has decided to buy the flat and sell her home which appears to have removed her ability to think rationally. No2 loves his new job so far. More work announcements about our future. Should have another 3 years before the building closes but my area may stay up to 5 years due to Brexit and system replacements. Life is good but just not enough hours in the day.

• No, Pippette decided not to run! If we hadn't already booked a restaurant, we would have ordered in a Chinese for her birthday tea - the trip to Liverpool on Sunday evening was the only time I left the house last weekend. 

Still, I've done parkrun for the first time in a few weeks. It felt good and as if I was getting a good time, but it was the same old 31minutes as usual.

I have started the 'Daily Mile' at school, just with my own class for now to prove it works. I got them to run 3 times round the yard a couple of weeks ago and they were exhausted! So we are now doing 5 minutes every day and counting laps - I reckon the best ones are doing just over half a mile and the slowest, a bit more than half that (a third of a mile?). We will keep going with 5 minutes, then try 10. They love it and keep asking if we are going to do it today? All those endorphins!
    (BTW if you see my record from a Garmin running 5 small laps, that's me measuring the playground!)

I'm also doing the walk 1000 mile challenge. (including runs as they take less time ...!) I did sort of start last year but ran out of impetus to record mileage. I am also planning on walking the West Highland Way in summer so the more I do now, the more it will pay off in the long run. And if Westie pops in, I'm thinking in terms of 7 days not Scott-like endurance!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Pippi, the school 'daily mile' sounds a great idea - to get the kids awake and concentrating, improve their health and, hopefully, give them a lifelong habit of exercising. I know that many of us were turned off games etc at school!

Yums, I am glad to hear that life is good for you - although it sounds as if your mum is needing a lot of support. 

DL, I am glad that XFC is back with you - there is a disproportionate number of XFCs either street-homeless or in very precarious situations. I don't think we (or our offspring) always realise the importance of general parental support.

Daffs, I really hope the house move starts happening soon! I think you have already taken longer than we did, and we thought ours was extreme (from finding to moving in). Happy trail running :)

Not much happening here, other than getting ready for our hols on Tuesday. It is strange that I am not looking forward to it at all - I don't mean that I actively don't want to go, it is just that a large part of me doesn't think it is happening. I have just decided what I want to take with me and the pile of clothes on the spare bed is growing, so that is a start!

Sending ((( ))) and ~~~ as appropriate xx

• hi all

pippi - getting the kids out in the fresh air even just for 5 mins to start is great - it is incredible how just a short walk or run in the fresh air does so much good

DL - hope XFC is ok, maybe the bad behaviour around xmas was a sign that she wasn't coping with independence. 

mum has started chemo to try to slow down the cancer - ups and downs with the chemo but not too bad which is good. She is busy getting everything in order to make it easier for us when the time comes :(
  • What a difficult situation MC :( I have another online friend going through similar with her mum at the minute, never easy :( hugs to you all xxx

Sluggy, I hope you enjoy the holiday when you get on it! Xx

Yums, glad your windmilling was cheery. Thought for a second you'd treated NYL to a standing burial for her birthday. I've not done my trail race yet - what I did last weekend was just a training run! A rare occurence admittedly but it does happen on occasion :D 

Glad XFC is back with you DL, hope things continue relatively peacefully at least for a good long time. And running too! Crikey.

Hope the knees and the dogs and the schedule (and Mr Podds) are behaving podds.

What's happened to Chuggles these days?? Not seen her for yonks! 

((((Waister pals))))

I was thinking of you all yesterday as I was eating a yogurt with the commemorative teaspoon I found during the 10k on Stratford airfield all those years ago... :D 

So. First in the series of 4 trail races is next Sunday and we have also signed up for some 'pay me fifteen quid and I'll send you a medal even if you don't bother to run 50 miles in Feb' scam. Not sure I've ever run 50 miles in a month - not even the months with marathons in!! But I'm ready for a challenge and since we're not going to be moving til Christmas at this rate I might as well crack on! (25 weeks on Wednesday since we offered on the new place, so we're nearly at half a year and not even talking dates yet! Gah!)

Waist well lovely pals xx
  • Ooh, and your running with the kids sounds like a great plan Pippi! My nephew ran a mile on the treadmill in PE the other day, we were all most impressed :D
  • Evening All - loving the idea of the daily mile Pippi

(((MC)))

Happy Hols Sluggy - are you cruising again?

Daffers - I'm not wishing anything about your house as all my previous wishes didn't help so this is the anti way of supporting  :D

Work really getting to me here currently - there's a best practice think tank thing which we as a school pay £000s a year to be part of and while they may be very good at advising about what goes on in class what they say in relation to exams goes from dubious to downright illegal.

So idiots keep coming back and telling me I have to do this that or the other............and I keep telling them no it's malpractice.........but it's all more protracted and painful than that!!

I might take to shooting pixies soon.......
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

(((Mc))), such a difficult time for you .

Podds, who on earth is involved in this 'think tank' if their idea of best practice is actually illegal? :o It must make just doing your job that much harder, I'm not surprised it is getting to you.

Yes, we are off an a Canaries (and Madeira) cruise tomorrow. There are other holidays we would love to take but my difficulty with sitting makes anything other than cruising impossible.
  • morning all

Pippi I really think the daily mile is a fantastic idea.

oh Podds that is pretty shocking - good for you for standing your ground

happy holidays Sluggy - I felt like that with my holiday this year but I'll bet it will feel just as wonderful as ever once you get there :)

Yums glad you had such a nice break with NYL - things seem to be very busy for you these days! I don't know about you but my great age makes me feel very relaxed about the work situation. but I do have the advantage that my mortgage will be paid up in just over 2 years so that's a big weight removed

(((MC))) tough times xxx

Daffs- you'll feel much better if you earn that medal :)

• Morning All

I am supposed to be running the london 10K on Sunday..........only problem being that even walking is sore.........think I'm going to go up anyway as it's worse if I don't move!!!

Need to try and sneak into an early set off pen as currently I'm in the last one and at my walking pace I'll be a sad and lonely figure walking the streets of London while impatient Londoners peep their horns and swear at me because their streets are closed!!!!!

Should have set off on Monday when I was up there for a conference  :D
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Happy holidays Sluggie

Good luck with the London 10k Podds. I think you stand a chance of winning!!

Windmill weekend - images of you standing around waving your arms.

Pippi - like the idea of a daily mile. As a grumpy old git I'm trying to go one letter better and go for a daily smile.

Thanks for all the 'kind words' about XFC moving back in, only she has moved out again! She turned 19 on Monday and there's no telling her!! This move wasn't as confrontational so it's not the end of the world.

I have been away all week and packed my running stuff. I even used it yesterday. Maybe I should see a doctor.

Happy Wednesday hope it's a cheery one
  • Oh dear DL!! Hope things settle down shortly (although it does rather sound like you're in for a bumpy ride for a while...)

Hope the legs start behaving Podds... 

Well, we had a call from the solicitor saying everything is now ready and he thinks we can exchange this week (!) Well, as always, I'll believe it when I see it. Bottom of the chain can't move til a specific day, our buyers are going on holiday the following day, so have suggested the last week in Feb. My prediction of March is going to come true at this rate - although at least we'll have feckin exchanged shortly with any luck! 

Going to walk past with my sister on Sunday after we've done this trail race, might sneak through the gate and check through the windows to make sure nothing is amiss... 
  • Oh Daffs I do hope this is it now and you will be in by March :)

I hope XFC has somewhere safe to stay at the least DL, 19 year-olds know it all so no point arguing

I have a proper lurgy - only a headcold but not sleeping well with it and sporting a very red nose

• Aw, poor Jenni :( Hope you can curl up with a nice hot drink at least xx

We're still aiming to exchange today - although only an hour and a half yet so I'll eat my hat if it actually happens.... Apparently they've all agreed the completion date, just waiting for the buyer's solicitor to come back with an agreed time to exchange (or some such other legal nonsense, think he was just trying to get me off the phone!)  :p

Just had an email from the race organisers about Sunday's race - they've changed the finish line as the weather is looking bad so the race just got half a mile shorter  :D:D
  • Have you got a house yet, Daffs?

I had a funny one this afternoon. One of our teachers has been off ill all week. I have some of her class for afternoon lessons and when they had finished the work, I allowed them some free time during which they chose to make her a get well card. One of my children (not the brightest ...) told me she had made me a get well soon card, to which I replied that was very nice but I wasn't ill. She looked worried and asked if it was ok. I said of course, I'd keep it until I was ill and it would help me get better all the sooner!
  • Tee hee Pippi - might even stop you getting ill in the first place! 

We didn't exchange. Spent all yesterday thinking we might actually make it.... but it turned out the first time buyer at the bottom of the chain had agreed to the completion date - but hadn't realised he needed to exchange and pay a deposit before that...  :o 

Apparently he's now had a 'how to buy a house' lecture from the estate agent, and been given instructions (again) by the solicitor, and will (supposedly) be paying his feckin deposit over the weekend and we can get the whole thing over with on Monday. 

As always, I'll believe it when it happens... 

Looking rainy and wintry for our trail race tomorrow... 
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭

morning all.

* waves sluggy and MS off on their cruise* Sounds fabulous. Have an amazing time and do tell us about it when you return

For a moment there I thought Daffy had run and exchanged :-)  Almost right and no wonder I was confused that you were racing. I think your PhD took less time than this move. However both were successfully completed. 50 miles in a month - I'm impressed. Does cycling count too ?

Ah Pippi, its good to hear that your pupil sorted you out some health insurance.

No sign of the mouldy old bat recently?

LOL at XFC moving in and out before we'd finished our congrats she was back. Bless her. No doubt she'll be back at some point. And good it was an amicable conscious uncoupling as they say.

(((MC))) tough times for you all. Bless your mum for putting things in order. Very hard to be practical when emotions are running high but so helpful to everyone else.

Podds, how did the race go? Are you finished yet ? I am shocked at the suggestions that you should compromise the law and your and the schools integrity in exams.  suppose I shouldn't be surprised though as the company want to justify their existence with results. They picked the wrong person to take on though :-)

((JFF))) I hope youre feeling better. Even though its a head cold its not much fun as they can make you feel miserable. We currently have the catch it bin it kill it campaign on our work screensavers. Apparently a sneeze can travel 25ft. I'm working out who I can take out whilst it still looks like an accident ;-)

Usual stuff here. Life seems to  make training for my half difficult. ma is mainly quite good to be fair but has her moments. I am fairly philosophical about work closing somewhere between 2020  and 2023 although my mortgage goes on for another 7 - 10 years after that. Lots can happen in the meantime and we are all doing the lottery! Did you see Scott completed the Westie  Highland Way  - wow seriously impressive. NYL had her 40th party on Saturday which was a masquerade ball. Lots of lovely friends. 7 others and myself dressed in inflatable unicorn costumes and did a couple of surprise dances for her to her favourite songs. 

Right I best get on it. Cycling to work anyone? Meet at the garden gate. Runners welcome too

x

• Sorry Yums, I'm giggling over my breakfast at the thought of 7 inflatable dancing unicorns... :D Most amusing :D 

Glad things are ok. Hope you win the lottery! Also laughing at the prospect of you taking people out with your 25m sneeze - I might see about doing the same... ;):D 

Trail race was fun :) Nice doing a shorter race for a change rather than an all day epic. They gave us a map, although there was little chance of us getting lost as we were sandwiched between a railway and a river. Got a bronze certificate! (which just meant I was in the slowest third - in fact, as usual, I was last :D )

Aiming for silver next time though! We know what time we have to beat and it's doable with a bit of training (ever the optimist...). 

Still no house news... Not sure what's holding us up now... Walked past new house on Sunday and the person they paid to remove the freezers full of meat from the outbuilding has removed them - and literally just thrown them on the grass outside, meat and all. Aarrgghh! Their solicitor just keeps saying 'my clients can confirm that the freezers have been removed from the property but cannot provide photographic evidence' - whereas I HAVE photographic evidence which they don't seem to be accepting. 

Hey ho. Just going to shift the damn things myself rather than risk them paying the same person again and having the meat posted through the dog flap. In fact, since it 'doesn't exist' I might parcel it up and send it to them. Grr.
  • oh Daffs how absolutely ridiculous! rotting meat must be a health hazard grrrr indeed

well done on the trail run :) you could definitely get silver with training - but it wouldn't be very "you" :)

Yums I would love to see you and you fellow unicorn dancers  - how fabulous :)

I'm feeling much better but without too much detail it is all loosening up and I have one of those lovely rattly laughs going on!