working at it slowly

Comments

• Gosh DL, how ridiculous!! Does sound like it's easier to remain dual gendered - after all you never know when a second identity might be useful for espionage purposes...

66 hours now... just going to spend half an hour checking I haven't missed anything vital at work and then I'm off home to help Mr Cheery with the packing - removals coming tomorrow morning. Eek!
  • Happy packing Daffs, I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible.
  • daffs - hope the move goes well

DL - that is pretty shocking!
  • Good Luck Daffers

And good grief DL - how utterly ridiculous is that?

Lovely blue sky sunny walk in Lyminge Forest today with Tom and Badger and Trooper the agoraphobic kennel dog - now sadly just a load of work to do for tri club, dogs and finally work......

.........2 weeks of Y11 mocks start Monday........Daffs, you may find me hiding in one of your packing  boxes........
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Good evening

Yay daffs has finally moved. It won't be long before the commune is open :-)

LOL at XFC  coming home but only to borrow money. 8 miles, DL?  Have you been secretly training?
    That's a mighty fine time for 10 miles  esp hilly mies. Its a lovely idea to do different races 

Sluggy I'm glad to hear that Alfie and sky had a  live in slave. So much nicer for them and you. And they're only mildly miffed with you ?

MC the different half term to your children is a nuisance. How is your Ma?

Posts. That sounds like a good walk. Must be interesting with an agarophobic hound.

Life here is still routine which is good. Ma appears to have a buyer for her bungalow so hopefully she'll get into her retirement apartment. Still running but a bit creaky. Off to Nottingham with work this week 
  • yums - what line of work are you in that brings you to Nottingham? 

mum has had a stressful time lately, a few weeks ago someone drove into the back of her car while it was parked outside the house! Must have hit it with some force as it shunted forwards. The insurance company have been crap. She finally heard from the repairers (not the insurance company) that it was going to be a write off, so she has arranged to buy a new one, but still hasn't heard from the insurance company. Unbelievable just how badly the insurance company have managed this. 
  • Evening all,

Hurrah for the Cheery Commune! I hope that the move went well and that Daffy and Mr Daffy settle in quickly.

Mc, I'm sorry that your mum has the car problem to deal with on top of everything else :(

Yums, I'm glad that your Ma seems to be on the move.

Podds - we have a spare room if you need sanctuary!

MS had a call from his SIL today  - his eldest bro. has had a bad fall and is in hospital with some kind of spinal injury. He cannot move at the moment but it is not clear whether that is due to pain, bruising or spinal cord damage (SIL not clear on that and didn't want to question her too much!). There is a possibility of surgery tomorrow but everything is very uncertain at the moment :(

Hope everyone is snug and warm.
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Good day to you all

Bit parky. 

Hope the move went well and the commune is coming along nicely Daffers

(((((MC's Mum))))

Hope MS's brother is OK - any news (((((((MS and family)))))

Hope you enjoyed Nottingham Yums

Hope the mocks are trading you kindly Podds

I went for a run this morning - it was so cold my ancient iPod decided not to work - don't think the battery liked it being in the minuses. I wasn't overly keen myself.

XFC has moved back in. She says she has learned some valuable lessons. Time will tell what these lessons are - they certainly have nothing to do with being any tidier or getting up at a decent time in the morning!

Hope the beast from the East is being kind to you
  • Afternoon waisterinos :) 

((((MC))))) hope your mum gets sorted soon

(((((((((sluggy and MS and family)))))))))) Gosh, how shocking. Hope you have some good news soon. 

(((((((((((waisters)))))))))))))))

We tried to go out this morning, but Mr Cheery sensibly heeded my fretting and whining and turned back before we went down the 1 in 10 hill. We were due to have all weather tyres put on the car yesterday but the bloke apparently broke down in the snow. Meant to be coming tomorrow morning now but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Only got about 3 inches of snow here, and some random farmer came down our drive at 7am today with a snow plough - although it was a bit pointless as it's all covered up again now.

I've been in touch with work to cancel everything for the next 2 days and instead I'm going to take the opportunity to do some more unpacking. Never actually been snowed in anywhere! Not properly snowed in. We're 2 miles from a shop here so theoretically I could walk there and back if necessary but we can manage for now... 

It's certainly an introduction to rural living... 
  • Afternoon all,

DL, how do you feel about XFC being back in the fold? 

Daffs, it sounds as if you are really isolated in your new pad! I guess you need to ensure that you always have a few days supplies in - and never let yourself run out of loo roll!

We are very lucky down here. It is very cold (by our standards) with the temp hovering around 0C today. We had a sprinkling of snow but more is forecast for this afternoon and overnight. Statistics suggest that it won't be anything major.

My BIL has re-fractured the vertebra that he damaged years ago. However, it is not yet clear whether he has an element of spinal cord damage, but it is certainly nothing as bad as it could have been. It will take time for bruising and swelling to settle, then the docs will know more about the long-term prospects. It sounds as if he is a very lucky man!
  • Woohoo - finally a snow day..........but only because the snowflake parents came in in droves today to take their little darlings home.........not even ankle deep ffs!!  However they've got me a day off so shouldn't complain...........
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    We have more snow here than we usually see. MS took 2 hours to get home from bridge, a journey that usually takes around 30 minutes. He actually phoned me to make sure I wasn't planning to go out tonight - I knew it must be bad as he usually tells me I am a wimp if I don't wan to drive!
  • Morning All

I'm loving my snow day so far........done one small piece of work which I really had to do so as not to inconvenience someone else and otherwise been watching Ironside, Quincey and now Indoor Athletics..........3 snoozing hounds, heating on...........happy days

Daffy - hope the moving in as going well and that you're not too snowed in as I think you're in one of the "at greater risk" areas

Sluggy - fingers crossed for BiL...........the waiting is so difficult isn't it not knowing at what point the effects of swelling and nerve shock may have subsided and actual spinal cord damage needs to be considered 

DL - (or the person masquerading at DL coz it can't be our DL doing all this running) - hope that XFC soon decides which direction she's going in

MC - hope all is ok with your mum.....and her car
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    TM took 5 hours to do the 5 miles home after seeing me yesterday! No, we don't have blizzard conditions but we do have a majority of drivers who, like me, are really not used to driving in snow. The forecast here is for +5C and rain tomorrow.
  • hi all

hope you are all snug, warm and safe from the weather

podds - snow days are great :) I have had 3 now

slugs - hope BIL is ok

well, mum got a new car before waiting for the insurance company - they aren't going to give her much, not enough to pay for the replacement (2nd hand, same age and model as hers) and I am so angry for her that because someone wasn't driving carefully she is now out of pocket. I think she is relieved that the saga is over though. 

No school for me for the last 3 days - my school is in Lincolnshire which has been really badly hit.Walked down to mum's yesterday with the kids and it was soo cold in the wind, despite being ridiculously layered and wrapped up. Fed up with the disruption to life now. 

Wish everyone would stay at home when they are warned not to travel in this weather though, I have been getting angry about people on the news that were stuck in their cars and then blame the police for not rescuing them!
  • Couldn't agree more MC - you're told not to travel so don't complain if you do and get stuck!!
    Our snow has pretty much gone now due to raised temperatures and now a couple of hours of torrential rain but not in time for the Thanet 20 race to be saved :(

For your Mum MC, she may be out of pocket but given her circumstances I suspect the peace of mind of getting it sorted and not having more hassle is more valuable to her

Back to school tomorrow - week 2 of year 11 mocks.........not looking forward to it at all - the worst part of my job!!
  • After the snow............before the rain!!!

• Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    Aw, your poor mum MC, how disappointing! 

Our trail race was unsurprisingly cancelled. Given that most of the roads into the local town have been closed for a week, and there have been no trains, they couldn't really have done anything else... 

We trekked out to the main road and were surprised to find it was actually clear! Mr Daffs ran (ok, slid) back up the lane for the car, and we headed into town - our first escape for days :D Raining now so we might well be very soggy by tomorrow but should be able to reliably get out. Stupidly enough, the people are coming to fit all weather tyres to the car next Tuesday :D (was supposed to be last Tuesday but they couldn't get through the snow...)
  • podds - what a great picture!

thankfully it is a lot warmer now, although sadly that means back to work tomorrow!

good luck with the mocks podds!

I'm sick of year 11s - I have got a nasty bunch this year unfortunately and can't for them to leave
  • Hi all
    Have had a busy February but am back again now!
    Well done on the house move daffs! What a saga!!
    I've missed most of the snow as I've been in Lanzarote on jollies :-). It was touch and go whether we would make it home on Thursday but our plane was one of the few not cancelled and fortunately the roads were clear for driving home! Back to work this week! Not looking forward to that :-(
    DD is wanting to be a teacher at present MC, I'm not sure how she'd fare with year 11's - the thought would fill me with terror!!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    What a hansum pair of boys Podds!
  • hello all

lovely to see you again Flibbs, Lanzarote is such a fab climate isn't it

I hope your BIL is on the mend Sluggy

Podds that picture is fab I just love their faces :)

Daffs what a time to move to sticks!

I'm lucky that I've been able to work from home for a couple of days - it seems daft to do a journey that takes a minimum of an hour when I can work from home and get loads more done. its been my busy few days and I feel exhausted now - I am definitely at the stage where retirement seems very desirable. I'm a long way off really  but hoping I can afford to change my lifestyle in a few years time and get a bit of a life :)

I've quite enjoyed running in the snow but will be glad to get a bit warmer now

• TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Ha! Just call me Sherlock! Seriously, it's hard to find the thread! 
    As a chronic absentee and couch potato am I allowed back in? 
    Will I ever find my way back out! Where's Watson when you need him?! 
  • Tubs - once a WAISter always a WAISter - you can check out any time you like but you can never leave! this bliddy site is rubbish now

I always enjoy your photos on FB especially the pussy cats :)

• I really hope 'once a WAISter, always a WAISter' still applies, I've been away a long time :-(( But was just chatting with Meldy and Podds and Tubs on FB and we all seem to be in kind of the same place....mojo absent, not getting in here very much, missing the WAISters who don't do FB....so we thought it might be time for a re-set! 

I see Tubs has already managed to get back in here, but it took md about 10 minutes just to locate your all, and I now need to do the War-and-Peace of a readback to find out what's been going on!

I see that DL is continuing with the joys of parenthood. Mr C has a sign on his desk that says: 'Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch'. ;-) And she also has the privilege of being dual gendered. Always an honour. In the US for some reason they address all lawyers as 'Esq' so I've had the odd letter addressed that way over the year. It's weird, kind of like being addressed as 'Sir Chuggy'  :/ 

JFF, good that you were able to work at home rather than plough through the snow. So often home is a more restful place to be, and you can get a lot more done! (Not to mention skipping all the frustration of non-happening public transport.)

Sluggie, so glad the cruise was a success! And I'm sure the kitties enjoyed having temporary servants. They tend to be very good at getting temp staff under control quickly ;-) I hope you have reassuring news on MS's brother now. That sounded like a nasty fall at the best of times, hope there is no serious damage. 

Flibs and MC, hope things are OK at work now. But Lanzarote must seem even further away than normal! And as Podds so wisely said, MC, even if she winds up somewhat out of pocket, it must be a relief for your mum to have the car saga more or less behind her. I wonder if people realise how much they cost other people in time, energy and money when they are careless like that? 

Daffs, even without having read back I gather that you have moved, and that it was the usual last-minute horrible hysteria that usually accompanies trying to get to completion. There must be an easier way to buy a house! But I hope that's all behind you and you are settled and starting to enjoy your new place. 

Sounds like lots of people were literally snowed in. Friends who are hill farmers couldn't get out at all with a car, but slogged round the hills looking after their stock. Hope nobody is having trouble with flooding and burst pipes now!

We had terribly cold weather (went to pick up C3 at 8 pm last Thursday: air temp was -8, effective temperature -18 thanks to wind straight from Siberia) but only a couple of days of snow, and that only a few cm so we got off lightly. 

Must go make some dinner for Mr C but it's ever so nice to see everyone again; and even if RW has thrown out our lovely comfy old furniture and consigned us to a bare modern room furnished by IKEA, it's still the WAISter lounge! :-) 

Have a happy evening all. xx

• Lovely to 'see' you Chuggs, I have only just returned to the waister lounge after a looooong absence, not doing any running currently but glad to be here :-)
    Returned to work today, waded through the emails and all caught up, not that I've missed much thankfully.
  • And welcome back tubs too - missed your post there!
  • Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    Yay, welcome back you lovely lot! :) Tis like the old days round here (a bit anyway) Lovely to see you all back :) Hope you didn't spend toooooo much time reading back Chuggles! 

Blokey finally came to fit all weather tyres today. Royally pissed me off by failing to follow my directions and ending up at someone else's house (I had to actually go and get him), asking a load of impertinent questions (like how much the house cost, and what car Mr Daffs drove - er, this one...), and then as a final insult, after he'd gone and we leapt in the car to drive to work, the damn thing is making a banging noise! Mr Daffs thinks he's just not tightened a wheel nut or something but we didn't have time to find out, just had to leap into the other car (which we have had for precisely 9 days, thankfully). What a fiasco! 

Hey ho. Saw a hare again this morning, and a buzzard sat on a wall, which I've never seen before, and a bunny with a death wish leapt in front of the car this evening. 

No running yet though, although at least the snow has melted enough. I've got a fortnight off at Easter and I might get my trail shoes on and do a bit of exploring :D Ooh, cancelled trail race has been rearranged for the 23rd I think, and the next one is two weeks later, eek! 
  • Woohoo, party time in the lounge :):) liking seeing old faces again :)
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    The wanderers have returned! It is lovely to see some activity in the WAISTerlounge again :) 

Daffs, your new place sounds idyllic!