working at it slowly

Comments

• I'm always having stern words with lil flibs, she is so untidy but just thinks I'm nagging all the time! Littler flibs spends 50% time with us and 50% at her Dads (who lives with his mum) so it works out really well, i must admit being a granny at 38 wasnt something I'd expected!!!!
  • I should think not Flibbs!

Happy Good Friday everyone ... I appear to be aback at work already

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

good morning people. I am aware it is Saturday. I think there was an anomaly in the space time continuum.

Crikey, Flibbs, I didn't realise you had become a granny at 38. Good that it works really well but a bit of a shock I imagine.

I have notes. I think I may have lost a page though..

M...eldy I always giggle when you mention your relatives from deepest darkest Essex. I suppose everyone has a dark secret in their lives :-) Your trip to Devonia sounds quite exciting what with the storm chasing you. Clearly it had no idea who it was dealing with. That book sounds fab. I have made a note of it as it sounds like my kinda thing. I Easter stupid busy for the emergency services?  I find Easter better than Christmas as its much more relaxed - maybe not for you. Austria - is that Klagenhof or whatever?

Sluggy, the support you have provided to your friend's son over the years has been invaluable to them all. Sometimes it is just knowing someone cares and is there is all that is needed rather than any practical help. The cello concert sounds fab. its a soulful instrument which sounds beautiful. LoL at the bedding issue when you moved. I suppose that if that was the only issue you did very well.  Poor Sky having a trip to the V E T when cats generally seem to dislike anything which isn't on their own terms - which is pretty much everything :-) Stressful for you and her. Does she not like being picked up at all or does she know something is up when it happens?

DL your running certainly brings all the WAISTers to the yard. Is there a relationship between XFC and how far you run :-) It is lovely to see birds we don't usually.

Tubbs your stories of your move both make me marvel at how  a you do it all but I giggle a lot too as I have these images in my mind of a smiling, snoozing porkball and you soaked to the skin. :-)

Chuggy, I'm not sure starting my week the way you did would motivate me! You must have been full of adrenaline and in the zone by the time you finished. I  am amazed that the cold cracked your sink. Amazing really as we tend to think of that type of thing being indestructible and yet its really interesting from the  aspect of how temperature affects the atoms in things. It must be a relief to have the laundry room finished as work around the home is always disruptive. It is lovely  to have an update on the mini chugs. It's good to know that C1 is her old self again as I remember you saying she wasn't great when she returned from her travels and took it out on you. Great that C2 has a permanent contract doing what he loves and is naturally gifted with. It sounds as though C3 is doing well but long hours aren't much fun unless he's thoroughly enjoying it. I suspect it is the culture though. 

Pippi, Daffy made a very good point about training for a 50 mile bike ride. I theory you don't need to train as you would for a 50 mile run. if its the training you enjoy why not swap to the run instead? :-) It is always helpful to have done some training. How much training depends on the route. If its flat then 50 miles isn't too difficult. However should it be hilly it will be a misery without the training to support it. As daffy said - it  depends whether you want to enjoy it of spend the whole time moaning.

Podds, sorry to hear about Mummy Podds and her acrobatics. Old folk will do these silly things and they just don't bounce any more. I hope she's a good patient but I suspect not. Poor Mr P and his stress Doc visit. All the more disheartening that he'd been trying to follow  a healthy lifestyle. Hopefully his BP was because of feeling stressed and that they will lose interest in him.  Congrats to tom and badger for their Duke of Edinburgh walk. Did you say it was 12k -  is a long way for a hound. I think the most I got out of Cush was 5K and then I had to lift her into the car because she'd had enough. I love the description of Badger's reluctance to do more than is absolutely necessary. So hound like. I always laugh at the story of your tri number being from your prison boxing matches :-) When I fell over last year and had my hand bandaged up I told the impressionable new girl that I'd never met that my cage fighting debut hadn't gone well.

JFF, bum bum bum to having to work one of the bank holidays. You need a proper break as you work darn hard anyway.  As for the boys... I feel your pain. I've no doubt you have tried and tried again to get them to be more considerate and helpful around the house. Is the marathon running to escape them :-)

Halley's comet, chuggy ;-) Just when I think I have a plan to bring serenity and the simple things to my life and stress less....it just never happens. The week before last I felt like DL must. I went to Nottingham with work for a couple of days, work bowling tournament in another part of Essex (I won best lady player ) London for the London landmarks harf marafun (didn't win that), London again for work, to see my mother. However I have this coming week off - so I can decorate my upstairs and downstairs hall and see Podds, Tom and Elvis :-)  The miniyums and mummy are good if not always cooperative. No 2 has been for his Police Specials induction day and starts his training proper towards the end of April. During the day ickle no 2 searches airport passengers and drives a 2.5 litre 4x4 patrolling the airport perimeter. My he has grown. No 1 drives supermarket trolleys. My once was brill, friendly run club has become an embarrassment with a reputation for nastiness. All of which stems from the committee fighting amongst themselves. My run gang have all left and affiliated to another club which has many of ex club members anyway and is run by the lovely ultra chap who dragged me round the Stort 30 last year. They major in off road running so its great to learn all the local trails as Essex is beautiful - honest :-)

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JFF, I do agree with Yums that you certainly deserve some proper time off!

At is always great to hear how WAISTer offspring are faring. It sounds as if the Chuglets and MiniYums are doing really well :) I'm sure lil Flibs will get there in time!

We have just been to see the Netherland State Circus but I was very disappointed that Chuggy didn't turn up. I'm sure she would have looked lovely in a sparkly leotard! :) MS always enjoys the circus, I am ambivalent at best and this was not the best timing as I had a choir gig this morning (and no time to go home in between). However, the circus was very enjoyable with some excellent acts, so I am glad I went. 
  • Evening All

I am at Mummy Podds' and we are still both alive.........just..........  She is well enough and seriously bored and frustrated enough to be a tad difficult to handle but we are rubbing along ok :)  I'm only doing a few things round the house and making multiple cups of tea but hopefully it's making a difference.  As usual whenever anyone phones it's all about how brilliant my brother has been and then "oh yeah and J is here too".......    She's mostly upstairs in bed as it's the most comfortable place to be but is quite mobile with care

I shall be returning to the East Coast Sunday - partly before we fall out, partly to avoid crappy driving weather on Monday and partly to avoid the big return from long weekends on the Monday........I am looking forward to it :D

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Travel safely Podds.
  • Lo all, just popping in to wish everyone a very happy Easter. 

Melds, that sounds like a positively hair-raising drive. Trying to keep ahead of a real storm is not that funny at the time; we did it once driving back home in Surrey from Dover, having managed to keep just ahead of it all the way from NL. Within half an hour of our arrival home, the roads across Kent were closed. Sounds like you must have got home just in time too!

And that book sounds lovely, I must try to get it. (Tho' not sure about the poppy/blood thing: we have lots of glorious poppy fields near us in France, in places that definitely were not battlegrounds.) 

I must try to get Daffs to let me be friends on FB so I can see her amazing new place!

Happy Birthday Littler Flibs! I didn't realise you had a granddaughter, Flibs---how absolutely lovely! And it must be so nice to have her and Flibs living with you, so you can see a lot of Littler (and give Flibs a bit of time off now and then). 

JFF, I am SO glad you have the same thing with your big boys and home. C3 is still sharing the house with us, while he tried to find someplace he can afford that's near his work; and sometimes I walk past his room and think 'One day his wife is going to KILL me!' But once they get off on their own, somehow magically they turn into responsible, house=proud householders, so I wait in hope ;-) 

Going to be a busy Easter here. We are all (5 of us + C1's bf and C2's gf) going out for brunch after church tomorrow. On Monday all of us except gf, plus 3 friends, are meeting up at the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden for a wander around, then coming here for our annual asparagus feast. Should be fun. 

Hope you all have very happy Easter days, with possibly a glimpse of the sun, and lots of nice time off and chocolate! xxx
  • Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Happy Easter. Typical bank holiday weather though ... we waited until it had gone off, walked down to the sea at which poin(i.e. Furthest from home) it started to rain again in earnest!

we had a lovely 3 days walking the Wales coast path. Left early on Good Friday and no traffic! 2 bright clear days, and one light cloud but cold! Still, all dry. We walked from Abersoch to just past Porthmadog, staying at a B&B in Criccieth. 

And we're off to Prague tomorrow!!  :)

Funnily enough, Meldy, I came across something about John Stemple just after reading your post. Like Chuggy I am dubious about the poppies ... I had always heard it was the disturbed ground that brought the poppies (it did in our back garden!)
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed your asparagus feat Chuggy!
  • Pippi/Chuggy I think his inference was that they thrived in that particular ground due to the blood .. which I think people use for compost anyway?  Not that they couldn't thrive in any other particular soil,  looking at my back yard in summer they thrive in every orifice  :-)

That said, he does have a lovely way of writing

Podds,  Austria ... whats occurring ??  I am looking at flights and trains and stuff 

Yums that does mean that there is a Klaggers anniversary coming up which means I have had the pleasure of the ginger terror for I think 10 years now?!

• Meldy - sorry, been running around like a headless chicken

I am still coming to Austria - sadly my broken body just will not meet the commitment of my mind so I will not be racing

I can therefore travel quite light and any way which works.  I did so love the train journey those years ago but am happy to fit in with everyone.  I am currently off 27th June to 4th July inclusive and can't really extend beyond those dates but that's my only limitation and am booked into the hotel for those dates as I had to book a whole week. 
    In my imagination last year when my body had started playing ball again for a while I was so determined to put the demons to bed I decided to treat myself to every possible bit of help, hence the hotel!!
  • PS This is very depressing to admit defeat but I have to be realistic :(:( I think my body may have fought its last tri battle as it stands :(:( 

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Happy Easter, Passover or any other celebration to which you subscribe.

(((((Podds))))) maybe next year? 

Lots of positive news about offspring .There is hope for all our futures - phew!

Went away for the long wekend. Went by car  - think the ark might have been a better idea. Saw Hamilton (the musical) very good and caught up with friends in Brighton. Now realising I seem to have overdone it and returned with some lurgy. It's been a while so I suppose I shouldn't complain, but where's the fun in that???

Happy wet Wednesday.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

(((Podds))) I am sorry that you cannot race this year :( I really hope this is not a permanent situation for you.

(((DL))) sorry that you are playing host to Luigi :(

Meldy, is it really 10 years since Herr Klaggers came to terrorise live with you??

• Wow, Yums, what a superb summary! You do sound incredibly busy these days, and most sporty: best lady at bowling, London landmarks half, cycling....hats off to you! And then decorating, and looking after your mum and the not-so-minis...yep, it's Wonder Woman! Hard to believe no. 2 is actually an airport policeman :-0 How they grow. And no. 1 is also gainfully employed--well done you, I say. The only fly in the ointment seems to be the run club, but at least it sounds like there is a nice replacement to hand. 

Sluggie, I didn't even know there WAS a NL state circus! Had I known, of course, I would have abandoned the law for the leotard many years ago ;-)

Podds, I do feel for you. Someone who is unwell, and frustrated with it, can be very crochet; and it's definitely naughty to compare you to your brother. But even if she doesn't show it, she really IS grateful you are there, and would miss you terribly if you didn't go. It will be good to get home again, though. How's Mr P doing now with the BP etc? With all that going on, it's a mercy that you AREN'T trying to train this year. As for 'never again'...wait and see how you feel next year. Sufficient unto this year are the evils thereof!

Pippi, sounds like you're having a wonderful time. You posted some great photos of the Welsh coast, and I can't wait to see the pictures you take in Prague, it's such a beautiful city. 

Meldy, have you really had the GPO for ten years? Surely not! Well, we'll just have to see what you come back with this time as a mascot! ;-)

DL, glad you enjoyed Hamilton, it's supposed to be very good. But what a shame about the lurgy. It so often appears at this point in the year, just when you think you've made it through the winter unscathed. Take care of yourself, because everyone's resistance is a bit low right now. 

We had a super Easter, with lots of kids and hangers-on. We all went out to brunch on Easter day, and then on the Monday we were also joined by our friend whose husband died about 3 years ago (you might remember, he was Mr C's best friend) and their two kids. We all spent a happy hour in the Museum of Antiquities, which was actually superb, then came here for lots of asparagus, chopped egg, boiled potatoes, ham, and hollandaise sauce. With cinnamon on top. Yum. (not the ham!) Today Mr C has had two little skin operations, one on his chest (where he's had recurrent Bowen's disease for years) and one to take away something on the bridge of his nose. Have to wait 2 weeks to find out what it was, and whether they got it all, so fingers crossed. (He had a melanoma once before, so they are being careful.) Apart from that, all hale and hearty here. Just wish there were more hours in the day, so many things seem to need doing at the moment, don't they? 
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for Mr C!!
  • Guess who came to lunch on Tuesday.................sorry no photos!!

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Guess who came to lunch on Tuesday.................sorry no photos!!

A tiger? Oh no, he came for tea, didn't he? :)
  •  :D......nope, guess again.............give up?

Oh ok - it was a couple of Essex birds........and we had a lovely catch up :)
  • ‘Caught up with friends in Brighton’ ....run training paying off then :-)

Podds, sounds like a plan, we might need a travel coordinator.. train seems relatively pain free and I honk I’ve sussed out a 5 hour trip from Munich for not many pennies, so just need to coordinate arrival at Munich.
    sorry you are not racing but much better to be realistic than to batter yourself for another year ..

Chuggs, I am sure I am not the only one in the lounge who is glad you stuck to law .... :smile:

the sun came out today and I played on my bike ??
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    "the sun came out today and I played on my bike ?? "

Which is probably why you honk! 
    :D
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Dunno, Podds , who came to lunch?

Oh I didn't arf larf at the idea of chugfyy throwing in law for a sparkly leotard ?

I hope Mr C is recovered from his medical poking and that his results are nothing to worry about. The museum of antiquities  sounds fab, chuggy. I reckon us WAISTERs might be found in there

M..............eldy, 10 years since you adopted that sweet ickle pumpkin Herr Klaggers? Goodness I feel old.

Posts, it's always hard to decide not to race however probably wise not to as iron man isn't the time for a daddy training plan? 

Ah, DL, the pleasure pain theory. I hope being I'll hasn't ruined your training schedule. 

Pippi, you went to Wales and it was drier than England? Did you find a suitably appealing cycle training plan?

Me and NYL took a trip overseas on Tuesday. Met a friendly local lady and her 3 lovely boys elvis, tom and badger. We had a walk,  a lovely and a good old chinwag and of course lots of hound cuddles. 

I am decorating. It is the devil's work 
  • TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Moving is the devils work Yums!

(((( WIN )))) 

I did read back but all I have in my head is Chuggy and a sparkly leotard! 

We are still in the process moving. New house was decidedly grubby. Not the vendors fault, he is elderly, his family seem to have done b*gger all to help him for a very long time.  My carefully thought out moving schedule went for a burton as had to clean everything. Still traumatised by the bath plughole  :s 

Finally spent our first night here last night. Had the keys since the 26th!. Hope to have the old place emptied and everything here by middle of next week, need extra muscle and Jnr Tubs is on long shifts until Tuesday. 

I need a holiday!!!!! 

(((((( waisters ))))))
  • Good luck Tubbs - keep at it gal :)

It is interesting that the 2 things everyone comes back to are DL running and Chuggy in a sparkly leotard........eclectic if nothing else!!
  • YumsYums ✭✭✭
    Well let's face it both those images are indelibly etched in our brains now. 

Blimey Tubbs, the move sounds epic. Sad that the old chap wasn't coping especially if his family haven't been helping. 

M.........eldy honks after a short cycle ride. Gawd only knows how bad she'll be after ironing. Good luck with spending ages on the train with her, Podds. 

I think I've finished decorating. 
    Podds,  funny how we were talking about Mr p his DVT and pulmonary embolism - nice young lady has developed a DVT and infection in her leg. The result of  her rheumatoid arthritis causing her knee to swell and constrict the veins they reckon. 
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Yums, I am sorry to hear that NYL has medical problems and hope she is soon on the mend. Well done on finishing the decorating - just in time to start again I reckon!

Tubs, it sounds as if the worst of your move is over. I hope you are enjoying your new home.

How different the world might have been if Chuggy had forsaken the law for a sparkly leotard! :D
  • Aww, poor NYL  :( please give her my best Yums and hope she recovers soon

On this manky grey Monday I am mostly working from home and have Bear staying with me  :)  He's the greyhound a work friend adopted from our place 3 weeks ago when I told her to forget Battersea and Dogs Trust and come to us!!!

They've gone out for the day and I'd offered to have him stay as they'll be gone about 12 hours which is too much for her Dad to cover............when she dropped him off she said it was far worse than dropping off either of her kids on their 1st days at school (and they're both adult men now!!) so I've had to send her a photo showing her that he's settled down!!  :D:D:D:D
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Good day you, one and all.

Good to see that the devil is keeping so many of you gainfully employed. Hope decorating, moving, unpacking, cleaning, dog sitting and all other worthy endeavours are giving rewards as well as pain!

(((((NYL and Mr P))))) hope they're soon sorted.

A photo of Bear would be appreciated here too. Do you have to offer holiday activities? I did a bit of chicken watching last week. Don't really get chickens.

I still have lurgy so no running here for about a week. Don't want to push myself into chronic illness!!!! I feel the cold may last a few days yet, or at least until it's a bit sunnier!

Happy new week. Hope it contains something exciting.

• I’ve had a cold this week too ...sadly I can’t take until summer to get back on he training wagon  :)
  • hi all
    don't seem to have had much time to catch up or post even though I haven't been at work for a week or so!

We spent last week in Wales and did loads of walking, lovely week. 

Eldest son is now in the Peak District doing his gold d of e practice, youngest is doing a week long course in film making in Nottingham so catching the bus everyday - the first time he has caught the bus or gone to Nottingham on his own so quite a big deal and I have managed not to worry too much about him! 

I have decided I am leaving my current school (and probably teaching altogether) at the end of the summer term. I haven't got anything lined up. I did apply to do a doctorate in educational psychology but didn't get on to the course - only found this out last week and really I needed to wait to find out about that before I could look elsewhere. 

podds - hope you mum is ok

yums - dvt is awful, hope NYL gets better soon