No - its a rather large Greek brandy and coke while on holiday in Zante

But – a few people on this site seem to think I’m smoking somthing
  • Bounties arent that "fattening" , are they
    Oh for a proper sack of Walkers
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Thanks WW.

You can go off people you know.
  • I wish i was in Greece right now!
    It might be warmer , I might be swimming or sunning myself with a sundowner instead of bloody freezing my t**s off in the North West of England - thermals tonite!
  • WW
    You must have a bounty in front of you or eaten by now that you can tell us what it contains!!

Help its coffee time in the office and I've just been handed a custard donut!!! Oh I can't resist. How many calories does that have then. At least it won't put any weight on before tonights weigh in - I hope.
    Better still how many mins do I have to run to work it off?
  • Oh well its gone now. Yum Yum
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    So's the Bounty. Still, I've been very good so far today, so a few extra calories and a little fat won't do me any harm.

I do love custard donuts. Nearly as much as jam ones.
  • Apple ones are the best.
  • 3 mugs of ginger tea and I'm still freezing!

is any one else?

may need a tomato soup transfusion soon!

question- are pot noodles friends or enemies? are they a reasonable snack meal or are they total junk?
  • Wild Will, Wicked Witch, Bune - thanks! The leather suppositories hit their target and I went to the gym and did some intervals (which I enjoyed while I was doing them, but didn't get an endorphin high from) and had a swim. Still feel fat and lazy despite knowing that I'm neither, but it probably is just a blah sort of day. Had a prepacked sandwich which allegedly contains a lot less calories and fat than a Bounty bar (I thought an ordinary two-finger Bounty was a mere 300 calories - there you go! I shall eat fewer of them at a sitting in future). Now on to the Werthers. Working very late tonight - hope the catering is good.

Tryer, I think the elliptical cross-trainer is supposed to be the next best piece of equipment to the treadmill for burning off fat and exercising the correct muscles for running. I don't know how hard you'll have to work on it to deal with a custard doughnut.

Bune, hope the cat is OK.

• Hello all!

Nearly home time.

I had half bowl of cornflakes (its getting too cold for cornflakes in the morning, but can I get up earlier to make porridge?), then risotto at lunch (at the cleanest shiniest pub I've ever been to) followed by chocolate gav-something cake - like solid chocolate really.

No running today or yesterday.

Are Tanita fat monitors any good or a waste of money?

Wild Will - 35% calories from fat is only 5% over the national recommended amount of fat isn't it? In this weather, that's practically nutritious.
  • Thanks vrap - will do a work out on it when I return from the dreaded ww weigh in and see if I can work off the donut. If we say a donut is about 300 cals or there about I guess I need to exercise for about 45 mins to work it off. Tend to use it maybe once a week or if weather is really horrendous use it instead of getting my backside out the door so glad to hear it is good for you.
  • I bought a tanita a couple of years ago and its scary -40% that must be a mistake!

apparently they are not that good at measuring athletic people - my problem obviously- only the more expensive one's

they also eat batteries - I've hardly used mine and the batteries packed up - unless its pretending so it doesnt have to measure my fat

apparently the more expensive ones have better memories - 'hey you fatso you used to only weigh 101/2stone 2 years ago!@ you get the gist
    Fat callipers are probably better- and water measuring is supposed to be the most accurate I'm sure V-rap will Know more about that than me

Still Im not sure getting hung up on fat is as important to health as feeling fit and healthy

A certain amount of fat is neccessary aqnd as the weather gets colder more useful- not that I'm advocating morbid obesity - but sometimes runners can get a little carried away

personally I always like Terry Wogan's school of fat measurement - stand naked in front of a mirror and jump up and down and if things wobble that shouldnt - well your fat!

boingwobble!
  • gawd I'm verbose today - its the cold - it's affectin my spellin and granma too!
  • Spot on, Bune - Tanita and Omron machines are wildly inaccurate, calipers are a lot better as long as the person using them knows what they're doing, but nothing beats the good old Wobble Test. The simplest way of all is to run a tape measure around your tum (at bellybutton level, not at the "waist" which you can suck in). If you're a woman, more than 32 inches (80cm) indicates too much Unhealthy Fat in your abdomen. The stuff on your thighs, butt and underarms is of cosmetic interest only.
  • oops
    have lost 3 inches though!
  • That means I'm borderline then. :( Better get running!
  • V-rap is there any scientific truth in the idea that caffeine helps to burn fat rather than muscle?

I always have a cup of coffee before hockey - think it may help my reactions - (my fast twitch muscle - ha ha) but mostly it makes me sweat a lot and p a lot!

especially something called 'rocket fuel'
  • Alas, no. Wish it did cos I'm a fully-paid-up caffeine addict. Caffeine in big enough quantities can raise your metabolic rate a fraction, but anything extra you burn will be what's most readily available, which is not necessarily fat.

The problem with caffeine is that it tends to demand to be accompanied by a chocolate biscuit.
  • I like my Tanita. My fat % has come down roughly in line with my weight loss over the last 6 months, and I've never changed the battery (that will kill it if nothing else). The figgures are 16.5lbs weight off of which 16lbs is shown as fat by the % change. Yes there hhave been some readings that were probably wrong but over a period they seem to even out. Also the start figure was very close but slightly higher than the calliper figure taken just before.

Where I think this helps most is it does give me some idea of what I could get to. So at 212 lbs and 26% - I should be able to comfortably loose 8% or approx 17lbs. That would make me the same weight I was when I was 17/18 years old but would still be a fairly high fat content.

And actually I want to run faster and look better so these numbers are just a guide. Not an end in themself.
  • Hi All

Have been working very hard to day so no forum abuse. I haven't trained yesterday or today due to excess of work. It's half term next week so hopefully be able to go to Gym every day.

I have a bit of a bad day to say that I have done no running. Bagel for breakfast, and a packet of peanut M&M's waiting for my Daughter. Veggie sausages and msh tonight, but I'll go for mashed swede with no butter :-(

I will be 10 st 13lbs by the end of the week or off it comed with the kitchen knife :-)

Daisy

My scales read 35% fat.

VRap

I use them for comparison ie started out at 49% fat
  • PS that loss is since I brought these scales - I started out at 17st 12lbs - a total loss of 38lbs since Jan 1 - even better than when I did weight watchers 10 years ago.
  • oooer mine wasn't being malicious then - I must be 60% body fat now then !
  • athletic jellyfish....

I move far more gracefully in water