A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• hi all, i know my number 08437, just don't know where yet, will chase FLM next week if not received.
    Donna, how about a "3.45 survivors" thread, may have to wait to see if i can join, may be an "almost 3.45 survivors" thread, we shall see.

Did 6 laps of ilkley park fartlek today, times were similar to last week, 3.02-3.18. felt a lot harder though could be a bit tired although I always find speed sessions very tough when i do them on my own, the temptation to slow down or finish early is almost overwhelming.

Oh committment committment where are you when i need you most ? Answer : with my mate who's better than me and always makes me work that bit harder.

Will be out of contact until next tuesday, away in barcelona for a long weekend, will catch up with you all then, have a great weekend running

pete

• How did my name get on your list? Someone's been sneaking onto the sub-4 thread ;-) Be careful - it's insane on there!

Pete - I haven't got my number yet either, but if you register your number on the urwfrc website then it'll work out your start area for you. Have fun in Barcelona - should be some lovely seaside running!
  • i think that makes you blue Pete - it goes on the number (have fun in Barcelona)

Blue Start
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy
    Puggers
    01631 - Fruit Cake
    12722 - Ashley
    9773 - Hollywood (aka BNTM)
    08437 - Pete

Red Start
    52142 - Woony
    Twin Dad
    35964 - Donna W
  • i'm a red 42020 - i take it even though this is the masses it is still sectioned up depending on times.

Attempting 23 miles tomorrow - it's do or die time -

• Adam - It was die for me on my 22 last week so best of luck for tomorrow.

Everyone rearranged in number order:

Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake
    08437 - Pete
    09773 - Hollywood (aka BNTM)
    12722 - Ashley
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy
    ??? - Puggers

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    52142 - Woony
    ??? - Twin Dad
  • Quieter week for me but still holding onto my sub 3.45 target but being a FLM Virgin it could be anything, the post marathon debate/thread should be interesting

Everyone rearranged in number order:

Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake
    02946 - Freddo
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy
    ??? - Puggers

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    52142 - Woony
    ??? - Twin Dad

• 13.1 miles treadmill last night in 1.48 watching Arsenal v Chelsea
    planning 6 tonight then a 24 on Saturday (then taper)

How many miles is everyone planning to do tapering.
    I should be doing around 60 this week ( 50-55 last 4 weeks) and was thinking of going about 45..33...20 in the next three weeks

Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake
    02946 - Freddo
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy
    ??? - Puggers

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony
  • Steady run yesterday (6.5 miles?) at lunchtime in the refreshing(!) rain. Did get a brief bit of sunshine at the end. Running along the embankment it al felt a little too real and close. Nerves starting already!

Track tonight and hopefully won't be feeling so tired. I think I might be visiting my dad at the weekend so a new route to be found (and sadly will be hilly!) Planning to rest Friday and maybe Saturday too and then run 23-24 (or somewhere between 3.30 and 3:45) on Sunday.

Researching into science of taper still to be done! Sunday runs will be something like penultimate - 16-18 miles and then the Sunday before about 10 miles. Tuesday and Thursday track sessions for speed, Mondays short (4-5 mile) recovery runs and not sure what else yet. The last week I think I'll try those ever reducing 500s I mentioned.

Happy running everyone!
  • Argh that just leaves me to post my number - I'll look tonight.

Did some good speedwork yesterday - 12 x 400m - but my lower back was quite painful last night. I wonder if it's because I was following advice from RW and trying to run like a Kenyan!

22 miler at the weekend. I'm at the stage now where I'm tempted to resort to running 5 mile laps rather than planning a new route. Whenever I go further afield I end up climbing mountains because I live in a river valley!

Good running to you all!
  • Hi Guys

I'm now in work having completed my 3hrs 34min - 23 miler - very tough, not so much on the fitness front but the leg muscles just seized up at about 20.

I still do know what kind of time i should be looking at. If for example today I could have run the full distance in 4.05, is it fair to say that on the day and with the benefits of the taper I can take 20 mins off that ?

I'm sooooo pleased the long runs are over - on your own for this time is quite on of the most difficult things i've ever done - makes you mentally stronger i'm sure (or is that madder !!)
  • Hmm, failed to run last night, wish I had of as I ended up waiting for my train which was delayed 45 minutes.. If I had run home I would have saved five minutes.

Still going to do 20 or 22 miles tonight.. Will see how I fell when I am out and just go from there. That will make 4 20 plus runs. to go on top of the 2 17 mile runs in 36 hours.

Tonights aim is to find a comfortable pace and stick with it, final time will be whatever it is. Will be running it with rucksack weighing in at 8lb for a little extra fun!!!
  • NB the 8lb rucksack is to give me an idea of running at that weight.. eg after two weeks of not running and trying to eat a PortorHouse steak in America!
  • I'll be going to pick up my number either on Wednesday or Thursday evening but presumably I could pop back to meet up with people at the pasta party Friday night?

It's just been snowing here - what is going on with the weather?!
  • Adam - it's a difficult one to answer. One option I suppose would be that instead of aiming for a particular pace you run at a pace that feels comfortable (I've heard it said that the first half should feel like a bit of a jog!) and then assess how you feel. Not very scientific but at least that means you'd finish and not blow up. I suppose you'd aim for something that felt marginally faster than your long run pace but not by much. Would it be possible to do this on the day? Don't know. On halfs I judge my pace and check my watch for confirmation but I don't really speed up/slow down based on what my watch says.
  • I'm happy to make the pasta party on Friday as well. As some of the regulars are on a different it's the only chance we would get to say "Hello".

Not running is hard. It's been 6 days now since my last run andI'm desperate to get out again. I think I'll head out for a very gentle 5 miles tomorrow and then have Saturday off as Sunday as I'm in a triathlon on Sunday. I'll return to normal training next week and aim for my final long run (21 miles if it feels possible) some evening next week.

Congrats Adam - It always hurts after 20 miles. I find training runs a lot worse than race day. It's the thought of running over half marathon distance without getting given a medal at the end of it. Every time I reach 13.1 miles in a training run I think right where's the medal and goody bag!

Has everyone decided on your final race clothing. I know we chatted about this previously. I've decided not to run with a bottle belt as I've managed to get used to lucozade. I must get my racing shirt printed. I'm adding my actual name, Runners World nickname and the picture of the little Ping Pong Man from my profile.

PPB.
  • Donna - i don't know if this is the same for everybody but today how i felt went through so many peaks and troughs as did my pace - not a concious thing. So what's a comfortable jog one minute can turn into a real battle the next. I guess it's just a case of maybe start with the sub45 pacers and see if i can hang on
  • Need to decide whether I run in charity vest or own tried and tested vest. Would like to run with charity name visible and it's red which might stand out! Against are the fact that I haven't had a chance to run a long way in it (too cold to just run in vest on long runs at the moment), is it wicking?, bit long.

Whichever need to get my name on it! Do you just take this to one of those places that print t-shirts and they sort it all out for you?

Whatever vest it will be will also run in lycra shorts (blue I think), white socks, white, blue and pink Asics 2080s. Will carry RunAid bottle with water. Bottle belt - probably not but might carry some lucozade so I can take some on before mile 5.
  • I'm not coming down till Saturday so will be registering Saturday afternoon unfortunatly. Can't get around this. Is anyone else going to be there on the Sat?

I think I will run in my charity vest. it'll have been through the wash a couple of times and I plan to do a couple of shorter runs in it. It might be cold but the way I look at it, if its cold on the day I'll still be wearing the vest, so I'd better get used to it. Also got a pair of Asics 2080's but mine are blue and white, no pink!!!

I'm off to Campo Verde tomorrow for one reason and another, don't really want to go as I will have to do my last long run in pastures new. Never mind.

Have a good weekend all.
  • New black long lycra shorts, nearly new Mizunos & club vest ( black/white/red hoops)Wasn't planning to run in charity vest anyway but it arrived yesterday & is fluorescent pink so absolutely no chance
  • Donna in answer to your question regards Bagels

All types of bread provide a range of essential nutrients like carbohydrate, fibre and B vitamins (particularly thiamin and niacin), protein and minerals for very little fat or calories.

While white bread has less fibre, minerals and B vitamins than wholemeal, it remains a significant source of these and a basic food that’s still good-for-you. Being low in fat, it fits with the guidelines for good health and nutrition.

In general, bagels are an excellent low-fat source of complex carbohydrates. They are portable and easy to hold - fitness folks craves bagels for their carbohydrate energy. Bagel Factory bagels are baked from naturally high protein wheat form the Dark Northern Springs Region of North America and we import the wheat from this region to our miller, who grinds it into our proprietary blend of high protein flour. Our bagels slowly release complex carbohydrates into your body throughout the day and due to our flour, all flavours are high in protein, even the plain bagel.

And in response to your question regards Weather, yep it snowed south of the river as well!
  • And regards clothing follow this link

http://www.smithfamily.me.uk/other events 2003.htm

Just in case anyone doesn't know me I am the one on the right not the left or middle!
  • Thanks you Ashley - very comprehensive! Hope you get your run in tonight and it goes well.

Question is will it be dry this evening? Hoping the rain/sleet/snow is held at bay at least between 6:30 and 8:30. Still not feeling hugely motivated to go to the track. Will go, come what may, but a little help from the weather will be greatly appreciated.
  • Clothing:

Turquise Cancer Research UK vest. The charity provides letters to iron on. Unfortunately I asked for "RICH" not "PUGGERS" because at that stage I hadn't joined this happy band of hope!

Navy Lycra cycling shorts

Nike Air Span Triax (no problems following washins machine experience so decided to stick with the old faithfuls - probably about 250-300 miles in them.

Morrison' own make 50p socks - I love them and much better for me than £9 Thorlos!

Bumbag for 2 energy bars - still haven't bought this bag so must do so in order to test out on last long run

I won't carry any water or a bottle belt since water stations are every mile. I'm going to avoid the Lucozade Sport - too sickly for me.

• i think i'm gonna carry water and 4 x gels. I like to drink water when i want water, not when it's available, that way i can ignore the water stations which i'd prefer. My 23 miler today and last 2x20's have been with a belt and 750ml of water so kind of used to it now.
  • One hint that I got from a lovely lady at the RP pacing runs was to take along a sports bottle top to put on the bottles from the water stations.

Carrying 750ml of water seems like 750g extra to me - especially when there are water stations every mile. But if you are used to it already then it may help a lot!

For gels, I dunno - I'm kind of thinking of just going with the lucozade sport for now -as these are available every 5 miles! But this is an area that worries me a little... will I simply run out of fuel?
  • Only problem with the lucozade is that it is so sickly. I tried your idea BNTM in 2002 but after one before the race and then one at 5, 10 and 15 I couldn't face anothe one and was grabbing anything I could from the supporters to keep me going. God were those people life savers...

Will probably start with my belt and a couple of gells but will ditch the belt mid course with my parents (around Canary Wharf). I will also have another 2 Gells waiting at Mile 18 with URWFRC supporters, one to be washed down with champagne and one for a little later.
  • Weather over course currently bright and sunny if not a tad cold.

Time to head off out the doors me thinks
  • Hello folks,

I have not been on this thread for a while! I got caught up in the big 'fiesta' thats been happening here in Valencia over the last 3 weeks so haven't been running too much but have been drinking a lot!!!(unfortunately!)
    Managed to get a couple of runs in though,and have started seriously again this last week!
    Monday - 5M, Tue - 8M, Wed - 6M & another 6 today. Cycling tomorrow, rest on Saturday then a 26km race(strange distance I know!) on Sunday.
    After this I will know whether or not I am still up for 3.45. Having achieved 3.49 on my first ever marathon in Feb, it would be nice to better it so soon, however I won't be too disappointed if not!
    Just to enjoy it is my aim & chat to somebody unlike the Valencia one, as I don't speak much Spanish! ('twas rather lonely!)
    PPB, I hope you enjoy your triathlon on Sunday & best wishes.
    To the rest of you, you all seem to be focused. I am getting there again - slowly!!!
    Regards all,

Gareth
  • Hello all

Nine miles tonight in 4.5 splits 35/33 mins with a mainly uphill second split.

Interesting stuff on gels/drink on the day, I'm thinking about at least two Lucazade gels and a run aid bottle with water to wash them down, also plan to use later Lucazade stops as I've trained to tolerate them. I might borrrow your idea Ashley on the belt or the URWFRC supporters if they will allow

(Boots had a 3 for 2 offer on the Lucazade gels and sports drink in the runners pack when I was there last Fri)

The sport bottle top is a good idea as well, its Vittel on the day isn't it

Have a good Friday everyone
  • Hi all

Did my usual 13 mile route last night and for some strange reason managed to knock 6 mins of my previous best time. I think it helps going out with someone because you push eachother all the time. I'm used to doing my running on my own.

It was a good night for running as well. Still and sunny.

I like the idea of the sport bottle top but don't know if I could be bothered with changing it from bottle to bottle.

Have a good weekend all and hope the last long runs go well.