A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Fruit Cake - That is seriously high mileage. I've covered about 440-450 miles this year though I've done loads of cross training for Triathlon as well.

Adam - It's not boring to us. Sorry to hear about your injury. I think it's time just to rest. Donna and I have been forced into unplanned rest lately due to injury. I seem to have mostly got over my problems now so I'm just taking things very steady ahead of London. It's so close now that your not going to improve your race fitness much. I've been fairly skint this year and so despite a range of leg injuries I didn't ever got to the physio. I think I was afraid of hearing someone say I shouldn't run the race. If you don't feel it helped then what is the point in paying out for another physio appointment next week?

I've been pool running (Aquajogger) and had a short swim already today. I think that'll be it for me today as I should really have a day off for once.

Have a good day.

PPB.

• Glad you're feeling better, Puggers.

Fruit Cake- I used to keep a running log religiously, but haven't done so for the last 1.5 years. I think once I got pregnant that my times would've been depressing, so I just got out of the habit. I can guarantee you that my mileage is no more than 300 miles since 1st Jan.

Adam- Rest, rest, rest! I am no physio, but I do get fortnightly sports massages and they are EXCELLENT. I'd been battling plantar fasciiatis for the better part of two years; since getting new orthotics and doing my massage routine, my feet are 110% improved. It can't hurt, may not fix your injury but it's likely to feel really good.

As for the final 'long run', I'll do 90 minutes at the weekend. I suppose that translates into about 11 miles or so.

I'm going to head out for an easy 9 miles this morning after baby wakes from his nap. This will be our final mid-week distance run. Yay!!!
  • Hello Everyone ....

So many messages since I last logged on, it's great to hear from you all! Keep the good work up.

I went out with the club last night and did a steady 5.5 to 6 miles over some undulating ground. A group of men at the front decided to do 10 x 1 min efforts, which I politely declined and stayed at the back with the steady bunch. As I saw them burn off into the dusty distance, I couldn't believe I used to do that .... Is it so long ago that I could run that fast?

Everything seems to be so slow at the moment and I have no energy in my legs for pace sessions like that. They reassured me that it's due to the mileage, so I will be raring to get back into my stride after recovering from the marathon! It shocked me a bit, so much that I've decided to take today as a rest day. I feel tired, so what the hell ... I have a speed session planned at the track on Thursday and will probably do around 10 miles as a longer run over the weekend. I feel so sluggish and totally out of it, looking at everyone else at the club, even those also training for the marathon.

Save Ferris, I bruise so easily myself, so there's probably nothing to worry about, I'm forever getting massive bruises from the side of my desk at work. I suppose it would help if I walked round it rather than into it though ... If you're unsure, get it checked out by the doc, just to put your mind at rest.

Puggers, glad to hear you are up and about again and sound good to go. I feel totally on wind-down too, I think it's psychological more that anything at this stage, as we know all the long runs are done.

Adam, your physio doesn't sound very good at all. Have you told them how important the marathon is to you? They seem to be very dismissive. Mine always asks me what my next race is, so that she has a clear timetable to work with and tries all the relevant treatments to suit the time scale. I would go for a second opinion to another physio. In the meantime, rest the hip from running so you don't aggravate it. You could swim or cycle if you want to keep up the cardio-vascular side and I don't see why a sports massage would harm, even the professionals have them before races to ease any aches and pains.

Total marathon mileage ... probably about 550 miles so far now I've added it up. It would have been more, but for my leg injury, which has left me cycling quite a bit. Seems a lot once you add it up. Roll on the road race seasons, 10K's & Half Marathons here we come ....

Good running today everyone & HAPPY EASTER!

Sarah :0)
  • PPB, how do you find the Aquajogger? I tried one a few times when I was up in Cumbria in a Rehab (Leg injury , not alcohol), thought it was a good (bloody tough) idea. But the pool was too shallow so I had to crunch up a bit, thus probs not getting full benifit.

Donna, I know it Probs a bit late now but all the time you spend in the Pool, an Aquajogger would probs be really good for you. Or do you already use one and I missed that Post?

If I totted up my milage for this year I'd be very surprised if it exceeded 400. So you lot better finish in front of me with all that hard training. If u all do, and you probs will, then I might take a good look at this Training lark.

Yours Lazzzzzily Woony
  • Although i'm generally quite an active person, I'm slightly concerned as I only started training properly for the FLM as of 20th March due to sheer laziness and heavy workload. Since then, i've been running 6 days per week and managed a 3 hour run last Sunday.

I haven't started tapering my training programme as I feel as if it's only just started! Does anyone know whether i've done enough to get around? Should I taper between now and 18th even though i've done very little training beforehand?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Hello don't have my log with the first few days of January with me but I guess it must be about 620 (down through illness and injury of course this year). Started training about September/October though but we're not counting those are we?

Easy run Tuesday night (struggled to keep it easy as the rain fell). Shin not painful really, just a bit stiff and a sort of dull ache around the bone. Swam again this morning. (Sarah I do count as it happens, not sure I get to 100 though! Funny the things we have to do to persuade our brains to keep going!) Quite fed up with swimming but I'm sure it's doing wonders for my arms!

This is such a hard time psychologically, feel as though my legs are really weak and that I'm unfit and rapidly gaining weight. I can really relate to what some of the rest of you are saying. Roll on the 18th!!

Save Ferris - sure the bruise is the result of an encounter with the bed post (I'm always doing similar things.)

Puggers good to hear you're back on form. (My boyfriend works for the BBC too, he, as I expect is the case for you, doesn't have much sway over broadcast or production plans.)

Adam defintely rest and do go and see another physio. I wouldn't be were I am now without having seen the one I went to and from getting sports massage. In fact go make an appointment as soon as you read this. I think it's fine to get a massage this week but if you have anything done next week would have to be quite gentle as it can have the same effect on your muscles as a hard training session.

Don't know what an aqua jogger is but slightly decayed floats seem to be about the best the local pools can offer here!

Kevin - you'd benefit far more from rest now. No training will have any effect before the marathon now (alhtough you might see an improvement a couple of weeks after!) You'll just end up too tired and energy-depleted to get round if you keep up a hard schedule. Well done for managing a 3 hour run - time to taper now.

• Hi All, just totted up my mileage and it comes to a staggering.............. 315.9 from The first week in Jan to 28 mar. I feel like a fraud when I see what some of you r covering. If I had pushed myself harder I might of shifted that extra 9lbs round my gut. Ran the last 3 FLMs at 12st -12st 2lb. Gota try and get round at nearer 12st 10lb this year.

I might just make the weight if I chop 1 leg off.............. but somethings telling my thats like selling yr TV to by a DVD Player? Mmm?

I really do take my hat of to all the hard work / long hours you've all been putting in. I hope my comments don't sound condescending/partonizing in anyway ,due to the fact that Im aiming for the same time. I hope it all don't come back and bite me in the @rse, like walking at mile 19 like last year.

Take it easy people

Woony
  • Meet up points? Have we talked about that on this tread? Those of you that visit the URWFRC site will know that the URWFRC Crew have set up meetin points @ 0800 hrs on the BIG DAY for each start so we can actually find out who we've all been talking to for the last 13 weeks. I'm on the RED START, and the REDs r 2 meet up at the Band Stand in Greenwich Park, with Swiss Bobby & Knackered Knees to there to meet you.

Cant remember the other 2 starts at the mo but if you go to http://www.urwfrc.org/ its all wrote down. You can register there to ,so you get a wave at mile 18.

Take it easy......... I know I do

Woony
  • Hello everyone

Popped into my gym on the way home this morning and had a ten minute session with the guy there that does my sports massage, he ran ultrasound over my left thigh to help relieve the stiffness which seems to have worked, have been using ice packs as well so my little drama at the start of the week seems a bit silly now, strange that I seem to have picked up more bumps and bruises aiming for this event than any other sport that I've done, including martial arts,

Hope things pull through for you Adam, your physio sounds odd, I'd go with Donna's suggestion

My mileage upto now is around the 450 mark which hasn't been added in any scientific way (goes for everthing I do)so respect to you Fruitcake for more or less doubling that !

Planning for 8 miles tempo tonight following todays rest day and then about 90 mins easy running at the weekend

Oh I've got the local rag round as well today for a piece in the paper, not my kind of thing at all (one to lurk at the back in pictures) so I've got something else to worry about and cringe

• Just entered my details onto the URWFRC runners page, I see most of you are already there, I'd be happy with a few cheers I think and maybe a nice cool sponge
  • Morning SF

You might also want to email Ultra Meerkat and Swiss Bobby - as apparently they've already taken the list from the website - so they might not notice you otherwise - which would be a disaster.

A sponge sounds like a nice idea... I've convinced myself that it's going to be a baking hot race this year :(
  • Morning All

Went out with the intention of 1hr gentle last night but we ended up doing 9.5 miles at under 7 min / mile. Felt surprisingly good at the end but theres no way I will be able to keep that up for much longer. Only 25 mins needed to day so might do that at lunch time.

I hope I didn't over cook it last night and will pay for it next week.
  • Fruit Cake - That's a bit fast isn't it. I don't think I can actually run that fast for an hour as my 10K PB was set running at that 7 minute mile pace. Are you sure you're meant to be on the 3:45 thread?!

If it is hot in London I'm going to be in big trouble as all my long runs have been completed in the morning normally starting at 6am. As this has been over the winter I've just been used to running in the cold. So I'm praying for a cold snap ahead for a week on Sunday.

Woony - You asked about the aquajogger. I use it a couple of times a week normally for 20-30 minutes depending on how bored I am. I only use it in the deep part of the pool and move between the deep end towards the shallow end and as soon as my foot hits the bottom I turn round and head the other way. It's very boring to use but it's a non-impact exercise that helps to keep up some cardio fitness. I found it a saviour last year when I lost 2-3 weeks of training due to an achilles problem. I'm lucky that there is a pool where I work so I can go in first thing in the morning and the regulars just swim round me and don't seem too annoyed with my slow pace.

I'm not sure what to do today. I had a rest yesterday so I have to run today. The schedule I used to follow before injury says 1M jog then 3M brisk (22 minutes) then 1M Jog. I think I may just skip that and test myself in a temp run over about a 7.5 mile Hilly route.

I'd better go do some work.
  • PPB, I never intended it to be that fast. More by accident than design really. Believe me, if I get anywhere near 3.30 I will be more than made up. I know from all the long runs I have done I struggle to 22 miles in around 3 hrs.
  • i think it's in the head but when you go a week or two without training you forget all the hard work you've put in and just feel that you've lost it and are back to square one - i tell you what guys, i'm gonna be glad to get the 18th out the way - it's sooooo stressfull
  • Don't wish it over too quickly, adam.

Make sure you enjoy it!

Fruit Cake - that is fast (way faster than my 10k PB) - but in about a year's time I am going to be able to catch you... anyone else planning beyond April 18th - that'll help you take your mind off it to, adam ;-)
  • i know it's about enjoying the day and the time does not really matter, or that's what i keep telling myself but deep down if i go over 4 hours having put in so much effort i'm gonna be really gutted.
  • Adam - I've been off running for 2 wks for what sounds like same hip prob as you. Physio said swimming fine, cycling OK if it doesn't hurt (she's not entirely sure what prob is though - possibly inflammation from running on a camber for 21 miles, having to adjust my gait and favouring my RHS which is where pain is now). She did ultrasound and a sort of TENS machine thing and is making me do hundreds of core stability exercises.

I started running again yesterday, did 6 miles with dull ache, but will probably be bearable on day (might pop some Nurofen on the morning). I, too, can't believe that I've hurt myself so near to the day, but I'm not flipping pulling out now!

My sister told me to give yourself 3 times when injured: 1. I can live with 2. I cannot go over 3. I would be overjoyed with. If you make them wide, gives you time to play with! 2. is 4 hours for me too...
  • Amazon - thanks for that, if you stand with your hands on your hips, legs apart and shift your hips to the right, that is when i really feel it, but it does sound similar.

It wont stop me getting to the start line though i'm not sure how it will effect me during the race. Anyway sounds like your getting far better treatment and advice than i'm getting - currently doing stretches every 2 hours as instructed though i'm pretty sure he's barking up the wrong tree.

Ok so i'm thinking over the moon with 3.45, job done at 4 hours and why am i such a donkey at anything over 4.10
  • Really busy at work at the moment so just a quick note to say I hope you all have a good weekend of running.

Adam, don't be hard on yourself. I'm sure you'll do the best you can on the day and that's all you can ask for. Stick with us and we'll bully you into keeping up the pace!! Really, see another physio if you don't have confidence in the one you're seeing.

Fruit Cake - yes, very fast, very impressed. Are you going to take it easy now?

Shin splints on the mend I hope. I'm resting til Sunday and then something slow and not that long - 90 mins maybe and I'm guessing about 10 miles max.

Woony you can forget walking at all this year, I won't let you!
  • Donna, is that a Promise. I do like it when a Lady is Firm with me. If you're gona do a 10 miler a week B4, then ( I know you know) take it easy and enjoy the run. Glad to hear those S/S r on d mend.

Met Dave Bedford 2day at a photo call, a room full of about 30 odd Firefighters and not one had the bottle to say........ Got yr number. I'm one of those with no bottle I guess.

So the Red Start Meet up is at 08:00 at the Bandstand in Greenwich Park. Who we expecting:
    Woony
    Donna W
    ???
    ???
    ???
  • Had the local press photographer round tonight taking chessy pictures of me running, felt a right muppet, its a once only kind of thing to do I suppose (the exposure that is not the marathon, I have a feeling I'll be back for more of them)

Also had some new kit to play with tonight on my run, my wife picked me up an MP3 player as a little present, Plugged in a few songs tonight (Bowie had the honour of christening it )hung it round my neck like a FLM Medal and went out for what was going to be a 10 mile stroll but ended up being sub 8 min effort in 1hr 17mins, I think the music took my mind of what I was suppossed to be doing

Adam/Amazon I hope you both are making progress and hope to see you both sub 3.45
  • Evening All ....

Having to write this late, as have been extremely busy lately, so just sneaking this in quickly before bedtime.

Went to the club Thursday night, did 1 mile jog, 10 x 300m, then 1 mile jog on the track. Felt much better after that, as I thought I needed some speed in my legs (probably all in my head again).

This morning I headed out for an 11 miler, which I thought was closer to 10, but proved to be just over 11, felt comfortable, but time quite slow at 1.32, as taking it nice and easy now ...

Will do nothing more than 4 miles or so now on my runs, until the day and will rest totally on Friday and Saturday, as this works best for me, total laziness.

PPB & Co, are we meeting at this church or whatever on Shooters Hill Road (I'm not sure where it is) or are we lurking around our pen areas, looking out for you flag, which should be easy enough to spot? I thought the flag option was good, as the Red Hand Gang can see us at the merge point. Not sure what the others are doing and would like to meet you all before the off.

Fruit Cake, that sounds seriously fast, I'm lucky to dream of 7 min miles at the moment, everything in my body has slowed right down ...

Adam & Amazon, hope the hips are feeling better. Adam still think your Physio sounds poor, I'd seek another one out quickly. No worries about sub 3.45, you can do it with us all around you, so no doubts!

Donna, glad to hear you are out treading the roads again, so keep it going and hope the shins aren't too sore. Counting is good, otherwise I find my mind wanders onto all sorts of silly subjects!

Woony, isn't Dave Bedford suing someone about that advert? I heard he got really touchy about the whole thing and decided to sue? It did his image the world of good, as he is definitely more widely know now. Perhaps a good thing no-one said it to him then.

Save Ferris, I had pictures on the paper last year, when I was running for charidee. (like you I hate them, as I am the most unphotogenic person I know), I always look so bad no-one recognises me, which is not a bad thing really.

Hope you all have great runs over the weekend and take it easy ... Not too many Easter Eggs ...

• Hey everybody! So busy lately that I've not really had time to catch up on the all the posts I've missed.

Adam - I know exactly how you feel about feeling like all the trainng is wasted because you've had to rest for a couple of weeks. I'm still fighting off something - although I thought I felt better the other day, the next day I felt very hot as if I had a slight temperature. The upshot is that in the last week and a bit I have only been out running once for a marathon paced 6 miler. So don't worry - just think how rested and fresh you'll be by the race and after a mile or two any cobwebs will be blown away.

Think I feel up to my last longish run today of about 90 mins - I'll be glad to get out there and notch that one up because it's been a frustrating taper for me, and I want to know that I can still do a decent run without feeling ill.

Regarding mileage, I expect I've done about 350 since New Year, which I know is measly compared to most of you. I blame my new baby girl who arrived on Christmas Eve. Taking madam into account I'm quite pleased that I managed to stick to my schedule at all! But I echo Woony's comments - I really take my hat off to you guys for your dedication in running 5-6 times a week and notching up more 20+ mile long runs than I think I could ever have coped with!

Donna, so pleased you're feeling that you're making a good recovery. For what it's worth I think you've handled your injury really well. What does your boyfriend do in the Beeb? I'm afraid I'm too much of a insignificant minion to bring make Blake's Seven to the sci-fi boffins, but my department is making Doctor Who if that's any good!

Can us Blue Gang have a recap as to meeting up? I think I have missed a few key posts in that area. I'm not from London, so I'm happy to guided by whoever can suggest a suitable place.

Happy Easter everybody. A week tomorrow......
  • Morning... 8 days and counting. Just saw an item on news24 about whether the wall was in the mind or the muscles. It didn't really seem to reach a conclusion but just seeing the clips of last year on the telly has got me even more excited - bring it on!

Do I really have to wait until tomorrow before starting on the Easter Eggs?

Do I really have to wait until tomorrow before doing another run?

For meeting at the Blue start, I'm going to either:
    - follow the directions on urwfrc.org and meet at the church (as I remember this is very easy to spot) in the hope that meeting 100s of forumites will help distract me away from my nerves
    - hide away somewhere chewing my finger nails down to my wrists and generally wanting to change underwear

Good luck out there...
  • Serious countdown time. I've no idea what to do this weekend (running wise). I'm feeling a little lethargic though from other tapering threads this seems to be the norm. The schedule I had been following (Runners World 3:30 schedule) says 5 Miles today and 12 tomorrow but that seems a bit severe at this late stage. I think I'll do 10 miles steady and have tomorrow as a rest day with just a very gentle cycle to the shops to search out a reasonable size Scottish flag (see below).

Puggers & Sarah - I still intend on running with the Scottish Flag (Blue with white diagonal cross for those that don't know it) at least until a mile or so past the join point. I think I'll tie a couple of balloons to it as well. I'll read back on the posts later as I can't remember where the pre-race meet point was meant to be. I think we should try and meet up before the pens as we may be in a different pen. I will probably have to try and sneak into your pen as my predicted time was 3:25 on my entry form.

Hollywood - I can't believe that "The Wall"is in the mind. My mind was willing at Loch Ness but my body said "NO". I would argue until blue in the face that what I was suffering during Loch Ness Marathon was much more than mental.

I'll post again later.

Take care everyone, PPB.
  • Afternoon all.

Just done a very light run through the boggy fields behind my house. Only went for 40 mins but loved every second of it. After next sunday its going to be less road running for me and more off road.

I must be following the same schedule as you PPB because I'm meant to be coing a 12 miler tomorrow. Might just do an easy 10 instead.

Glad to see the injuries seem to be clearing up.

I haven't decided about what I'm doing at the start yet so I'm open to whatever everyone else is doing. Can't remember what time I put on my application form so I don't know what pen I'll be in yet.

Have a good weekend everyone and here's to the carbo loading. Eat as much as you want for a week!!!

187 hrs 12 mins.................
  • Hiya again!

Well, safely made it through this morning's 12 miler. Glad to get it out of the way so that I can concentrate on eating and staying healthy next week. PPB, I'm also following the RW 3.30 schedule, and like you was unsure about the 12 miler today, but as I have missed quite a few lately I was keen to put one more longish one in.

Hollywood, I don't think the wall is in the mind either. When my legs seize up after 3 hours it certainly isn't a figment of my imagination.

I agree that the blue gang should meet before the pens, so perhaps somebody who knows the area could suggest somewhere. I'll look out for your Scottish flag just in case PPB!

Bye for now.
  • Hi Again Everyone ....

A late one again for me, too busy during my days off from work to log on until the evenings. Going back to work for a rest next week ....

Will be travelling down on the Friday, so will need to know the meet-up point by Thursday. I plan to register on Friday too, as it gets very busy Saturday, but not too hectic.

Did a steady 4.5 miler today in around 8.15 min pace, but still feels like hard going, which tells me I need more rest, so will have Sunday & Monday off, what the hell ... Will run Tues & Thurs at the club, probably on the track and will do a 4 miler on Wed and that's the lot. Rest is more what I need now, I do feel really tired, not just my legs and when running, but in myself. A few early nights will be needed.

As for the start, I don't mind if we meet at this church, where the URWFRC are meeting or around our respective pen areas, but not in them until near the off, as we need to be together, looking for the now famous Scottish Flag. If we collectively decide on the church option, can someone please give me directions or an idea of where it is in relation to Blackheath station, as I will be totally lost otherwise.

If we meet near the pens we are supposed to be in (but not in them, just to the side), surely we will easily see the flag. Just a thought, but I'm happy with anyone else's ideas or decisions. Just let me know ...

Keep going everyone and rest well. Sweet dreams .....

• Well thats it, the final 12 miler out the way at a really gentle pace. Now all I've got planned is short runs (30-40mins) on Tues Wed and Thurs then thats it.

I'm going down to the expo on Saturday. Due to work commitments can't leave here till Sat morning otherwise I would be there on Friday. I know this has already been asked but is anyone elsogoing to the expo on Saturday?

And the same old question. Where to meet before the start (blue start for me). My first time doing the marathon so I've no idea about the layout at the start so am open to ideas.

Have you all seen the marathon advert on the beeb yet? Makes you realise how close it is. This time next week hopefully only have 3 miles to go or so!!!

Hope you all had a good holiday weekend. Happy tapering and scoffing!