A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• I'll search out the exact location of where we should meet in a bored moment sometime tomorrow. We have to work Easter in Scotland so I was working Friday and am again tomorrow but as it is deserted at work I'll have plenty of time to work out a spot where we should meet and directions from Blackheath Station. I still think we (the Blue Group at least) should try and meet at this church before the start. The Runners World Forum Club website says the address is: "At the Church on the South Side of BlackHeath, between the railways station and the Start" but as stated above I'll look it up and post a weblink tomorrow.

I bought a Scottish flag today. It is only a small one (about 3 foot by 2 foot) but I couldn't get anything much bigger as I'm planning on running with it for the initial few miles in case any of the red gang find us and join us for the run. To help you recognise me I'll be in a bright orange shirt with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back.

I'm going to go to the Marathon expo on the Friday afternoon so I will attend the urwfrc meet up at 2pm. I had planned on going to the 7pm evening one but it's a bit late for me as I'm staying in South London with family and shouldn't really ignore them during the evenings.

Under one week to go....

PPB.
  • Why wait until tomorrow. Here's a link from streetmap.co.uk with the meeting point church highlighted. I assume this is the planned meeting point for the runners world forumites:
    Blue Start Meeting Point

• Hi Again Everyone ....

Another late one, I will sort my life out soon and get back to more "regular" hours. This Bank Holiday weekend stuff is soooo busy.

Anyway, PPB, many thanks for the map link, I've printed it out, so will do my best NOT to get lost, as I see it also has the station marked on it. What time is everyone planning to be there please? I think I will be arriving at the station about 8.25 or so, so will make my way straight to the church, probably via the toilets en-route!

Just to recap, I will be wearing a red vest, with white diagonal stripe (club vest) and my name "Sarah" on the front (probably printed out on paper).

Tip for any first timers (sorry for those who already know and have done many more marathons than me), but if you put your name on the top you are running in, the crowd will shout your name and encourage you on the way round, sounds silly, but believe me, when you get to 20 miles plus, it really is a big boost. One of my club mates runs 2hr 22min marathons and still puts his name on his shirt.

No running for me today, a rest day and another one tomorrow, as still very tired! Went to football match today and had to climb 14 flights of stairs to the top of the stand, my legs still feel very tired, so I now feel justified in my additional planned rest day tomorrow.

Well done to everyone completing their last long runs this weekend, it's all down hill from here ...

My leg is much better, not totally pain free, but the best it's been in a long time, so I hope this is the end of the injury and the leg is mending. I just have to be careful between now and the marathon and not do anything silly, like trip over at work and sprain my ankle or walk in front of a bus (or aircraft in my case) ....

Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday everyone and happy resting ...

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Ping Pong Boy

Just having a quick lurk on your thread - it's nearly as popular as the one you left!

Best of luck for Sunday, I'm at the blue start as well so I'll try not to hold you up...
  • Morning!

Don't fret guys about finding the church. From Blackheath railway station you just follow the very large crowds to the heath. And then the church is very obvious as its the only building there!

6 days to go... and I need some things to fret about... Still not worked out how fast to aim for. Still tempted to try to find the 3:30 pacers and see if I can hold on to them. Still tempted to find the karaoke pacer and to run alongside him with a camera. Suspect the eventual race plan will lie somewhere between those 2 extremes

Anyone worked out what there next race post-FLM is?

Later

H
  • 90 minutes... That looks like a really tough race in your photo - what's the yound lady doing in front of you? More worryingly, what's the man with the gun in the background all about? Is that from the "get a PB or you get shot" school of motivation?
  • Morning all

Saw the BBC's advert for the marathon yesterdy - certainly made me feel excited thinking "that'll be me" (except minus the egg outfit!).

I will aim to get to the church at about 8.30 to give plenty of time to say hello and to allow for any delays in getting there. Thanks PPB for sorting out the location.

I'm going to the Expo on Friday night. Who else is going to be there? I know we discussed this ages ago but I've forgotten and it takes ages to find the old postings on a snail-computer like mine!

• Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake
    02946 - Save Ferris
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    08533 - Puggers - Turquise Cancer Research vest, "RICH" on the front
    09773 - Hollywood (aka BNTM)
    12722 - Ashley
    13315 - Amazon (fka Happybadger)
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy - Orange shirt, Scottish flag
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    25709 - Sarah Gregory 3 - Red vest, white stripe
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff
  • Updated:

Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake - Turquise Cancer Research vest, "ALEX" on the front & back
    02946 - Save Ferris
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff
  • My plan is to reach Blackheath on the 7.46 train leaving London Bridge, unless I oversleep(some chance)and dependant on the three connections beforehand.

Did my Sunday run in the evening, 90 mins covering about 11 miles, left it late going out, got a soaking on on the way home by some idiots in a boy racers car with a water pistol/bottle of some sort, kept my cool,didn't break stride/stop or react which was about all I could do, not giving them the satisfaction of responding, I wished they'd stopped though. I think I'll revert to off-road stuff after next week as I'm done with morons poaking fun at me, offering me drugs or just generally getting in the way and being arseholes

That said I was pleased with how easy the running felt with no aches or pains and the water sharpened me up a bit (I'll probably be wishing for someone to do the same next Sunday)

Updated:

Blue Start
    02946 - Save Ferris - Green NSPCC vest
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff

• Hollywood

That was the end of last year's Grizzly, when you get washed down by firefighters. Very welcome at the end of 20 miles of hills, beaches, hills, river crossings, hills & bogs. and a few hills...

Not sure I noticed anyone with a gun!
  • Evening All ...

Feeling better after my 2 rest days, I shall make the most of them, as I'm back at the club tomorrow night. I'll be on the track for a short speed session, entailing some 400m reps.

Glad to see everyone is adding their race day colours to the list, it makes it a lot easier to find each other. Also if it's fairly easy to find the church, it shouldn't be too bad, even for me.

Save Ferris, I can definitely sympathise with you, I get that sort of stuff all the time. Not water pistols, but comments, kids following me, horns tooting, blokes leaning out of cars, etc. In November, I had a car dazzle me and I fell off the curb into the road, quite near the car, which sped off. I cut all my elbows, legs, hands and twisted my ankle, but luckily managed to miss my face and teeth. I managed to get up and carry on until I got someone to pick me up, but there's definitely some total idiots out there. Kids are the usually the easiest to deal with, as they try to run along with you, but get tired after about 2 minutes.

We will be definitely wanting water pistols from the crowd next week ....

Not sure if everyone's seen it, but there is a text service this year, which can be used with your champion chip on your trainers. Every time you go through one of the 10K check points en-route and your chip is read, it can send a text message to your chosen mobile numbers (up to 3 numbers allowed), which is pretty useful for family and friends moving around the course to support you. You need to register beforehand and will need your race number, I think the website is "www.orange.co.uk/marathon" I'm going to try it out.

Anyway, that's all folks, as I've had another busy day, but not running ...

All the best on the wind-down

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • morning all

not had a chance to read all the txts, will go through them all over the next few days, but it seems that the wind downs are going ok.

just back in the office after a week in lincoln painting a house (for daughter at uni). Not exactly an ideal training week, didn't do any running at all, just painted for 12-13 hours a day from monday to friday, i was whacked out by the end of the week.

did my last long run on sat 3rd, did 17.1 miles in 2.28 feeling fine, then just did a 10.1 mile on sat 10th, after the weeks painting , in 1.27 again felt ok but legs did feel a little tired. Hopefully some PROPER rest over the next week will sort me out.

will now spend some time reading the messages to find out how the meeting points etc are going. will be doing a couple of mile sprints today as the last speed sesh, not too hard, then a lot of stretching !!

happy running

pete
  • Hi all

Back from my holiday in Spain now. Spent a few hours running along canals by Torrevieja if anyone knows the area. Great to run on...99% flat (logically they can't be flat or the water wouldn't go along them)and nice tarmc roads with virtually no traffic alongside them.

Did 13 miles on Saturday, 6 miles yesterday afternoon and no more than about 10 planned in total for the rest of the week

I have a bit of a left knee problem which I think is a mixture of running and being on my knees alot playing with my boys. Its a concern but not a big worry as it seems to be OK when I run but painful afterwards
  • Twin Dad

I spent the week of 26th March - 2 April at Campo Verde, 18km south or Torrevieja (near Pila de la Horadada or 15 mins San Javier airport). Like you I spent a lot of time running along the canal between Campo Verde and Torrevieja, through orange and lemon plantations. Did you try the oranges fresh from the trees when you needed refreshment? Nothing quite like it.

Was meant to spend the day resting yesterday but although I didn't run it was the busiest day of the weekend, doing jobs around the house and garden etc so I felt knackered last night.

Training schedule calls for speedwork tonight (8 x 400). Will probably do this but won't push too hard. Then 30 mins wed and 30 mins thurs easy and thats it!

119 hrs 47 mins............
  • Good morning everyone.

Ran on Sunday for something close to 12 miles. Took 1:38 so might have been a bit too quick, at least I hope so because I couldn't have done that twice over and then some more! Shins were okay really, not too much pain although a little tender afterwards so there is hope!

Had a massage Sunday night and one last physio appointment at lunchtime today. Shins felt too sore for running this morning so headed to the pool. Revelation for me, borrowed some googles and bought a nose clip and it was a whole new world. Could even start enjoying swimming at this rate.

Puggers, boyfriend is a manager (of projects mostly rather than of people I think) in Financial and Commercial Strategy.

Welcome back Pete, sounds like you got a good workout without running! And welcome back Twin Dad too!

Save Ferris - what idiots! I've never had anything that bad - just a few comments and people jumping out in front of me. That's scary enough quite frankly.
  • Forgot to say I'm heading to the expo tomorrow evening so will post on Thursday morning to relay my experiences there!

Updated:

Blue Start
    02946 - Save Ferris - Green NSPCC vest
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W - red Childline vest (hopefully with name)
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff
  • probably the same canal Fruit Cake. I start by Campoamor Golf Club and then go left or right ( San Miguel or Pila de la Horadada )...didn't try any Oranges...they seem to be planting more whenever I go
  • Morning Everyone

Back to "normal" hours (in work time) rather than later at night, due to busy Bank Holiday weekend.

Donna, so glad to hear you are out running again, so you can take it nice and easy on your shins now. Sounds like you are going well. I still feel tired (due to manic weekend doing lots around the house, etc) but hope plenty of rest will combat this.

Planning a speed session at the club tonight, but will probably only train at 65-70% as don't want to over-do it.

Twin Dad & Peter, glad you are back with us and that you both had a good work out (in different ways).

Leg feels OK, so will see how it feels after running on it tonight at the track.
  • I had a good look at the aerial photo of the course last night and have worked a few spectating points for my wife. Does anybody have any good suggestions based on past experiences?

Donna, what's your boyfriend's name? I work in Finance so I may know him. Small world innit!
  • Puggers - his name is James Cordwell, he's based at the media centre in White City now (was Broadcasting house until the beginning of this year).

My tapering plans - some easy swims and maybe one or two very easy runs (4 miles tops I reckon). When are you all stopping? RW advice was to rest Thursday and Friday and short run on Saturday. Any views?
  • hi guys

I've just come over with a stinking cold and am really panicing - anybody know of any fast fix remedies
  • Don't panic. Drink plenty of fluid. Don't stuff yourself with cold symptom suppressors. Go to bed & don't get up until tomorrow when hopefully it'll be gone.

I'm on my 3rd week of bad chest cold am on anti-biotics & should be ok for Sun but ploughing on is a no no if it's just starting. Hope it's nothing
  • Adam, don't run just rest till Sunday. You'll be fine. Whatever you do now isn't going to make any difference anyway. I read thet the only point of any running this week is to burn off excess energy so you don't become hyper active.

Must admit I'm really nervous though and I think tonights run is going to be so cautious just to make sure I don't injure myself. Thursday is the last run for me. I would consider the runners world advice of a Saturday run but I will be travelling down to the smoke then and registering. Mrs Fruit Cake has already planned a shopping trip for that day so I think I might send her off and put my feet up when registered. Perhaps find a nice little Italian where I can stock up on Pasta. Anyone know of a good one?
  • my problem is that i've had a hip injury so my last long run (23 miles) will be come maratahon day almost 4 weeks ago and i've done very little since then, the hips seems a bit better so i thought i'd get some runs in (more for confidence than fitness cos i feel like i've lost the lot) and this ******* cold hit me yesterday
  • Fruit Cake's right, Adam, rest up. Nothing to be gained at this stage, everything to be lost.

4 weeks ago is fine. Just play it sensibly and don't stress out.
  • Just ride it out Adam...theres plenty of time for your cold to come and go before Sunday. Its a good excuse to make sure you rest properly

I've scanned some other threads and a lot of people are saying they feel they have lost their fitness during the taper.... see its normal to feel this way

Donna my plans are
    4 or 6 on Wednesday
    4 on Friday
    Nothing on Saturday...travelling, picking up number, with family etc so easier not to

If my knee hurts at all on Wednesday or Friday then both of these runs may disappear, I'll see how it goes
  • Ho ho Donna, it certainly is a very small world - I was speaking to James last week (say the words "Doctor Who Finance Case" to him and he'll know who I am!!

Adam, sorry to hear about your cold - you've had a bad time of it lately. Everybody's advice is spot on - just rest, keep warm and sleep when you can. If you feel up to it you could go for a very easy couple of miles on Saturday just to blow away the cobwebs (more for the mind than the body), but if you don't feel like it then don't do it. As RW put it - it's impossible to underdo it this week, only to overdo it.

Did my last proper run today - 8 x 400m. I felt quite good which was a relief. It is a lovely sunny day here in Cardiff, and after my run I had a long leisurely stretch standing on the bridge overlooking the river. As I looked out over the water with the sun reflecting off it, I reflected on the highs and lows of the last 4 months of training. It was quite a poignant moment.

Crikey - I'll be writing poetry next! I think I'd better stick to running!!

I'm resting now until Saturday when I'll do a very easy couple of miles.
  • Loads of posting today. I'm leaving for London on Thursday morning so I've been really busy finishing a few things at work ahead of 4 days off work. I did my last couple of runs yesterday (3.5 Miles in 28 minutes) and today (5 miles in 43 minutes). Both very steady runs not pushing it too hard.

I'm ready and just getting really nervous now. I've had enough of the training and just can't wait to get it on. Takes it easy everyone with those injuries. You've nothing to gain and everything to lose by training too much this week. So that goes to you (name drop alert) Blotts Mate, Adam, Donna & Twin Dad.

I feel like I'm injury free at the moment which is quite worrying as it's a new experience for me over the past month and a half!

Just to recap who is planning on meeting me to run together at the Blue Start meeting point? Also, realistically red start folk do you think I should run with the flag as what are the chances of us meeting at the combine point?

Take it easy everyone.

PPB.
  • Puggers, that is strange. James just sent me an email to let me know! What with Woony working around the corner from me and running for Childline too it is indeed a small world.

PPB - it would be lovely if you could run with the flag. I suppose there is more chance of us meeting up if we're planning to run at the same pace but last you said you thought you might be going a bit quicker so maybe it isn't that realistic. Another idea would be sharing the load between the blue starters as there are a few of you. Anyone want to offer to carry the flag for 5 minute slots?

Glad to hear you're injury free too!

Alternatively, Woony is going to try to meet up with Ashley so if the blue gang run with him and the red gang run with Woony that might work too!

Adam - rest, rest. Ginger and lemon always help me clear things out a little quicker. That and Olbas oil on tissues under my pillow case. My friend swears by a bath with tea tree oil in. Trick is to let it flow and let you body concentrate its efforts on getting it over with. You've plenty of time and will be fine just resting this week. 4 weeks ago is fine, you'll be fully rested.

Will try and rest myself, although will be swimming with my new found friend the nose clip!