Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    just did my last couple of miles sprints, first one in 6.51 the tried to do next one at marathon pace. ended up doing mile in 8.04 and it felt fine so if i can go 20 seconds slower for 26 miles i'm in with a chance.

adam don't panic, just rest and the cold will go, i use the beneylin day and night tablets and they always seem to kick it into touch within a day or so. One thing at least you'll be properly rested, what with my changing rooms last week, then trying to sort the lawn out properly on monday (6 hours hard graft)i think i need to stay in bed for the rest of the week to recover.

Save ferris , sounds like you've got some right nice ones where you live, apart from some 13/14 year olds taking the p*ss occasionly, and once trying to run with me, not for very long i might add, the only problem i get is the odd dog that tales a dislike, although i've never been bitten.

I'll probably get to the church fairly early on, my brother inlaw drops me off around 7.30 to avoid the rush. I will be wearing a white and blue Epilepsy Action vest with either blue shorts or grey tracky bottoms. Not worn the shorts much this year and got a bit of chafing in the tender parts on both the 17 and 10 mile runs, so may opt for caution and and trackies, nothing worse than red raw bits in the last 5 miles and beleive me I KNOW !!!

anyway 4 days and counting, just got to get my name on my vest and i'm ready to go yeeeeee haaaaaa. funny isn't it , all these days of training and now it's suddenly upon us. can't wait to get to the start, this year will be even better with all you gang around, it won't get lonely on the way round (even with 32000 others it can be a bit lonely if you don't know them ) although virtually anyone will talk to you, it's a question of someone staying with you long enough to get chatty. shouldn't be a problem this year.

speak to you tomorrow

pete
  • Options
    Donna - I'm just going to carry the Scots flag until the meet point. I have to admit I haven't been brave enough to try it on a training run (WAY too weird!) but with Ashley & Woony there is a good chance we could meet up.

It'll be great if we can meet and run as a group. I've no intention of setting off too fast as I'm just wanting 3:45 with no aspirations for any better.

Peter - I know what you mean about being lonely in races. I chatted to a lot of folk during my first marathon but I did still feel like I was on my own a lot of the time. I'll also be at the church quite early as my Dad is giving me a lift up to near the start area (what a nice guy!).
  • Options
    Hi All-
    Glad to see that the gang is starting to do some serious resting. My illness induced taper has been record-breaking. I think I have a total of about 40 miles in the last fortnight. Hubby has strep throat, so he's been banished to the spare room with the directive not to infect either me or Baby. There are dire consequences should he fail and one of us turns up sick in the next five days!

I keep reminding myself that the week before my first marathon, I tripped on a tree root, fell to the earth, and scraped up my entire left side pretty badly. I thought the world had ended, but I was so excited come race day that I didn't even think about it until some guy at mile 15 or so asked if I'd been in a car crash.

As the lone green starter, I'll be on the lookout for the Scots flag at the meeting point. I usually employ a 9 min run/1 min walk strategy from 30 mins to 3 hrs, but I'd like to run a bit with folks if my constant back and forth won't make you batty.

Peter, PPB and everyone else who gets "lonely"-- I always say hello or thanks to the police, marshalls, and random people on the course. I find that being positive goes a long way to keeping my head in the game. Of course, chatting away the miles is the best distraction.

Still deciding which running shorts to wear on the day. I have to decide if I'm brave enough to wear my old racing shorts on my new (read: larger) body, or if I'll advertise my native land by wearing my Texas flag shorts. Life is full of difficult decisions.

Hope everyone is hydrating now, too. Never too early to start!
  • Options
    Evening Everyone

Back to my late slot again, back from training on the track this evening. I just can't help thinking that I am soooo slow and my muscles soon seem tired. Can I really have set a Half Marathon PB only in January? I feel a slower, different person. I've got some serious resting to do, if I'm not going to feel tired.

I did 7 x 400M in 90 secs with 2 min recovery. Not bad, but felt very tired during mile warm up and warm down, I'm sure it will be right come Sunday. 20 mins steady jog for me Wed and Thurs and that's it. I don't run Saturday, just rest, it's what I find best for me.

Adam, don't panic about your cold. I find plenty of fluids (water or orange juice) and if you like Zinc & Echinacea tablets, which I find clears colds up really quickly. However, the best remedy is REST and SLEEP, as everyone else says.

Puggers, my partner/family/friends have followed me for the last 2 years. They have decided that around the 11 mile point at Rotherhithe, then 18/19 miles and then on to the finish is best. The busy points to avoid (where they have been stuck in previous years) are Cutty Sark and Tower Bridge. These get so busy, that you often can't get out to get to the tube to move on.

PPB I definitely plan to meet up and run with "the gang" and will be looking out for your flag and orange T-Shirt at the church. As Pete says, it will be wonderful to have some company this year, as I tend to run so many distance races without knowing anyone and 26.2 miles can be quite lonely, but not this year. Really looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Options
    Sarah, you call that a late spot, try being so busy with stuff all day, that yr other half has gone to bed and yr on the PC. Mmm or am I just sad.............

Kashopoff, this hydrating lark............ does that include the 4 pints of Guiness I've drunk 2nite???????????

Looks like we're all willing to run/stay together on the day. Just hope we all can and hope that the different starts meet up. I know I'm gona try and meet up with Ashley. Donna and I should stay 2gether for a while (20 + I hope). So it would be good if we could all come in together.

PPB, your flag could be the REAL key to us all staying together.

Happy Tapering people................. I know its my favourite part of the Training.

Woony
  • Options
    Morning all.

I'm definitely up for meeting at the church and then running together for at least a few miles. It would be great to meet up with the red hand gang too, so I think the Scottish Flag is a great idea. How long I run with the group depends on how the pace feels for me. So I'll start with you guys and then take it from there. I do still have secret aspirations of breaking 3.40, which might mean I'll quicken up around halfway if I feel up to it. But who knows if that will seem like a good idea after 13 miles!!

Hope people with colds are not feeling too bad. Still plenty of time to make a full recovery, and think how rested you'll feel!

Take care everybody.
  • Options
    morning all

raedy for a nice easy gym session today, steam room, sauna, jacussie oh yeah and a bit of stretching.

Puggers, my family have watched me from the docklands, miles 18/19 like sarah. It's not too busy,you can actually get to the side of the road if you get there early enough and the Docklands Light Railway gives you an easy route to the finish.

Has anyone looked at the weather yet ? just gonna look up BBC site to see if we're gonna get a suntan again this year or just get rusty.

looking forward to seeing you blue starters at the church !!(wonder how many people have said that !!)

cheers

pete
  • Options
    Morning everyone.

It's busy on the forums today. Getting nervous/excited. Looking forward to going to the expo tonight.

Sarah, those times sound good to me! I was strggling to keep at 100 seconds for my 400s last time I attempted any speedwork.

Hope you're feeling better Adam and Blott's mate.

Kashopoff - just a different room? I'd be considering suggesting a different house!!

Went swimming again this morning - about 40 minutes or so. Might think about resting a bit more from now on though.
  • Options
    Hi all

Did my 8 x 400's last night with 200m recoveries and felt fine at the time but this morning the top of my foot is a bit sore. I hopr this isn't the start of anything serious. I had planned to do a gentle jog tonight but I'm going to see how my foot feels.

As far as the weather is concerned I'm going to stick to the BBC forecast, max 15 min 8 degrees, wind 10 kmh from south and sunny.

This compares to others who are saying 25-30kmh wind and wet. It doesn't matter what it's like really because we're all still going to be there and enjoy it.

See you all Saturday!
  • Options
    Hi guys

The cold seems a little better today as does the hip so for the first time in a couple of weeks i'm feeling positive and kind of looking forward to it and not dreading it... I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for saying the right things at the right times as we all need a lift and it's only fellow runners who really understand, especially Donna who i think has replied to just about every gripe i've had. As i've not run for a couple of weeks and my best 23 mile time was 3.32 you guys may be a little hot for me to stick with but i'll see how i feel on the day - in truth anything under 4 hours would make me feel that i've climbed a mountain. Cheers again guys
  • Options
    Morning Everyone

Just thought I'd leave a quick message this morning, as may not get chance tonight.

Woony, yes you definitely are a night owl, more so than me. I definitely need some early nights this week, even my colleagues at work are saying I look tired (or something similar)

May go for a 20 min jog this evening, definitely nothing more or 3-4 miles on the bike, see how my leg feels. Same again Thursday, then nothing more 'til Sunday.

Pete, will you have your name on your vest at the church, so we can find you?

Donna, you will be a triathlete by the time this marathon is done, well done and keep rested.

Adam & Blott's Mate how are the colds, any better?

Fruit Cake, thanks for the weather forecast, I hope it's cooler rather than warmer, but we have no choice I guess. Whatever, we will definitely all enjoy it.

I'm aiming for anything sub 3.45 time wise, but would like to go closer to 3.40 (depending very much on how I feel later in the race), so hope some of you will have a roughly similar plan.

Tomorrow will be my last day on the thread, as travelling to London Friday, so GOOD LUCK to everyone between now and Sunday and see you all there ....

Sarah :0)
  • Options
    Morning All

With all this talk of meeting up and running together I'd like to get an idea of peoples race plans because it may be that we are intending different paces

I intend to try to run at 8.15 ish up to 20 miles and then do what I can to hang on until the end (in my previous 20 mile plus runs I've ended up 9 min plus miling). So if anyone else has this type of plan then I'm interested, however it wouldn't suit me trying to run a constant race at 8.30 as I know I'd be doing 9 min plus miles at the end and wouldn't stand a chance of my target

On a separate note...my no alcohol until Sunday policy (started Monday morning) only lasted until last night when I went to the pub to watch the football. So much for tapering...when in full training I would have watched the match from the treadmill

Good to see your cold is getting better Adam

• Options
    Thanks Adam and thanks to everyone here too. It has been great to have this group's support, kind words and advice. There are times I'd have felt very lost and lonely without you all.

Adam are you planning to meet up with people at the red start? Woony and I will be meeting at 8:00 with the URWFRC people at the bandstand. Twin Dad will you be there too?

TwinDad - I'm aiming for a steady pace of 8:30 as I know I'll blow up otherwise (based on the Richomnd Park pacing run being 10 seconds or so a mile quicker and feeling like death then - although I expect the terrain didn't help either!) If you started slower why wouldn't you hold the pace? More carbs required?

I drank a small glass of red wine on Saturday night (James's birthday) and have abstained since. Coffee however! Just had one, but it was decaff.

It's sunny but not overly warm or windy at the moment in central London - it would be nice if it stayed like this I reckon.

• Options
    Hello all

6 miles easy run today in the afternoon sun, hope its not much warmer on Sunday, I've binned the idea of using suncream as it got in my eyes with sweat and stung a bit, if it is sunny on Sunday I'll end up with a big fat red Irish nose and shinny red forehead.

Run was okay although I do feel a bit flat, is this the tapering effect or the drop in carbs Mon/Tues that I read and took onboard. Is everyone Carbo loading and when do you start, today ?

I don't really have a race strategy other than to be comfortable at halfway point and then maybe pick up the pace a bit so 1hr 50 at that point or better

Glad to see eveyone's more or less fit especially Adam as you seem to have suffered

Gave up alcohol back at start of year so looking forward to starting again, never been able to pass up a decent cup of coffee and I'll be needing plenty Sunday morning to get my body working properly (without going into detail)Also find drinking lots of water a bit dull, what with keep wanting to go to the toilet all the time but I'll be following your example from today Kash

Nothing now for me untill Saturday although I might pop into the gym for a swim/jacuzzi/sauna session instead

• Options
    Good afternoon.

Thanks for the tips regarding spectating points.

As for pacing, Twin Dad I'm planning on doing the same as you - I like the idea of 8.15 miles as it gives me chance to quicken if I feel strong and maybe get close to 3.30(ok, I know it's highly unlikely) or to slow down and hopefully still break 3.45. So if our groups do meet up I'll look forward to running together for a few miles.

Sarah, safe journey up and look forward to meeting you before/during/after the race!

Is anybody going to the expo on Friday night and up for pasta?
  • Options
    just spent 15 mins very easy on xtrainer at gym then stretching , steam room etc. Felt very nice and easy but strange not to be training. Just trying to book in a massage session for friday morning, legs feel fine, just want to make sure. Will do a couple of miles at 8.30 miling tomorrow then thats it, finito benito until the big one.

I.m taking a print out of all the names and numbers with me on sunday so i can spot you round the church, shouldnt be a problem for the scottish flag. I'll have PETE on the front of the vest although it may be covered by a very fashionable green wheelie bin liner to start with.

I think I'll probably stick to the 8.30 pace like Donna, too likely to blow up otherwise, and hopefully will be able to keep it going to the end with a bit of encouragement from the gang .

looking forward to seeing that finish line already.

keep tapering

pete
  • Options
    Almost a teary eyed post this one. This is my penultimate post to this thread. I leave for London tomorrow morning so any other posts will be from home, internet cafes or if I'm bored in the airport.

My pacing plan is to aim for about 8.20-8.25 miling from the start this would see me hitting 20 miles in around 2 Hours 47 leaving just under an hour for the last 6 and a bit miles. I hope others are planning the same or similar. I've no intention of running for 3 Hours 30 any more I'll be happy with one second inside 3 and 45.

Just to recap I'll be wearing at the church at Blackheath with a orange shirt with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back and I'll be carrying a Scottish flag.

For those that I don't see in London I'd just like to say thanks for joining me on this thread for the past couple of months. It really has been inspirational for me and the support and encouragement you've given me (and I hope I've reciprocated at times) has been tremendous. I won't say I couldn't have done it without you as that would be a lie. But there's no doubt that posting to this forum has helped make the training easier. Knowing that I've not been alone through the tough times of injury or poor runs has really helped keep me going.

Take care of yourself.

Martin aka PPB.

PRINT THE LIST...

Updated:

Blue Start
    01631 - Fruit Cake - Turquise Cancer Research vest, "ALEX" on the front & back
    02946 - Save Ferris - Green NSPCC vest
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    08533 - Puggers - Turquise Cancer Research vest, "RICH" on the front
    09773 - Hollywood (aka BNTM)
    12722 - Ashley
    13315 - Amazon (fka Happybadger)
    25022 - Ping Pong Boy - Orange shirt, "Martin", Scottish flag
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    25709 - Sarah Gregory 3 - Red vest, white stripe
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    35964 - Donna W - red Childline vest (hopefully with name)
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff
  • Options
    Stop your teary-eyed blubbering! I'm sure you'll all be back here posting next week - only then you'll all have ascended to a higher plane of sub-3:45 glory!

Meanwhile.... I've got a number!

The expo is pretty impressive. Lots of shopping and quite a few special offers to be had. Fairly busy even today. Pasta at the pasta party is a bit dull - but the t-shirt is OK.

Later

H

• Options
    Sniff sniff blub....PPB you've started me off now you sentimental old woopsie (in the words of General Melchitt). Have a safe journey and thanks for starting this thread and for the impressively regular and substantial postings!
  • Options
    PPB ya big softy you, have to admit I agree with the sentiments though, it's made a big difference to my dedication ,nothing like talking to other people to make you want to go out with renewed enthusiasm.

We'll need to sort out a follow up thread to keep in contact, will be interesting to hear how everyone gets one.

be seeing you soon

cheers

pete
  • Options
    PPB, you've bought a tear to my eye. Thank you for starting this thread and getting us all that little bit more motivated. It has certainally kept me going through the tough times, just knowing that there are other people out there who are feeling and doing exactly the same.

We'll have to keep this thread going just long enough to find out each others times. Personnaly I've decided to set my watch for 8 min miles and see how I feel after 20. I'll probably just blow up and end up crawling the last few miles. Nothing ventured, nothing gained though.

Once you've been to the expo we should do an updated list so we all know what pens we are in.
  • Options
    I had a good go at the Expo today, where I parted with a fair amount of cash. I'm moving to a very warm climate (Austin, TX) in August, so took advantage of good prices on shorts, vests and some funky running bras.

The weather was glorious today. Did an easy 3.5 miles, just to relax a bit. I am hoping that it isn't any warmer than the 15 degrees the BBC now is forecasting. The 21 that are slated for Saturday would be bad news, indeed.

I'm planning on starting out at 8.30 pace or a touch slower, then kicking in from mile 20. If all goes well (one can hope), I'll run the last 10K at 8.10-8.15 pace.

Many thanks to PPB for starting the thread, but I appreciate everyone's support...especially as I've joined in so late in the game.
  • Options
    PPB, if you hadn't started this thread I'll still be a Fraud on the sub 3:30 thread. And thus not actually have a forumite to run with on the day. Keep that St Andrews cross a flying ya wee smasher. (it is called the St Andys flag init?)

Puggers, I should be at the expo on Fri. hoping to get there about 18:30- 1900hrs. Heard the Pasta aint too good.........but its still Pasta. I'll Probs be wearing a Red Childline T shirt and Blue jeans if it helps. should be meeting up with Ashley, he'll ave his name on his T shirt. I think Donna mentioned possibly turning up if she can.

PRINT THE LIST...

Updated:

Blue Start
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad
    52142 - Woony - red Childlne vest & holding Donna's hand so to keep up.

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff

Woony
  • Options
    Well only 3 days to go and I have just completed my last 23... 23 hours traveling without sleep that is!

So fantastic holiday, added 5lb to body weight curtosy of Sizzlers 'All you can Eat' breakfast and Sizzlers 'Grand Buffet' God is food cheap in Orlando the above cost £3 and £4 respectively, and petrol os £1 a gallon!

I stayed on Route 27 which is 10 minutes drive from Disney and built on sand. I managed two 5 mile runs in 85 degrees so suitably aclimatised to a hot marathon I hope. Other than that every day I spent at least an hour swimming and can now swim nearly 40m in one hit!

So I did start going through the threads but after a couple of pages I still wasn't through to 1st April so can anyone give me a quick highlight.

I have picked up.
    Woony - if we are still together sprint finish to hell with the consequences.
    Look for Big Scottish Flag at start.
    Scotty 3.45 group are you sure - 3.15 surely?

Friday I will be at expo around 6.30, I will be wearing a bright yellow URWFRC T-Shirt with my name on it. On Sunday I will be in my URWFRC vest with name on front and back.

For those of you travelling tomorrow have a great race on Sunday and I look forward to meeting you all then.
  • Options
    Ashley - Glad you had a great holiday. I was in Florida last year and gorged myself on the breakfasts every day. There's way too much for you to catch up on. So to keep it simple we're meeting at the church on Blackheath on Sunday and gathering at my not too big Scots flag (it is a St Andrews Cross, you're right Woony). I'm running with the flag for a few miles so it couldn't be too big.

PPB.
  • Options
    anybody know how to pick out the official running groups - i'll be in a sub 4 hour pen but want to run with the 3.45 pacers as i think you guys will be a bit hot for me on the day
  • Options
    I'm getting excited now !!!!!

I don't think I've been excited before about something which is going to hurt - doesn't happen when I go to the dentist

Didn't run last night...my knee still hurt a bit ...but it feels fine today so 4 miles today and no more until sunday

good luck to everyone as people are obviously starting to log out now

PRINT THE LIST...

Updated:

Blue Start
    07924 - BigBob
    08437 - Pete
    12722 - Ashley
    25417 - Scotty
    25439 - Lars
    ????? - Mine's a Smooth

Red Start
    42020 - Adam House
    42782 - NickB
    51059 - Twin Dad - Red British Heart Foundation Vest
    52142 - Woony - red Childlne vest & holding Donna's hand so to keep up.

Green Start
    29429 - Kashopoff

Woony
  • Options
    nearly there folks, just going for my last 2 miler at 8.30 pace later, then a lot of stretching with a massage booked for tomorrow morning.

Adam you won't be able to miss the runners world pacing groups, the pacers hold a flag on a stick giving the pace time, sub 3.45, sub 3.30 etc and they will be at the back of the pen. If you are in the sub 4 hr pen ( probably like me) all we need to do is get to the front of the pen and we'll be right in the sub 3.45 pacer group.

The BBC weather forecast seems to be getting better for runners ( and worse for spectators) it's now max 10C and raining which will be a bit miserable for 26.2 miles but a hell of a lot better than 20C and sunny , at least where your times are concerned.

Just checked my london splits for last year, i was 20 secs ahead of 3.45 pace at 10K and 17 secs behind at 20K and then gradually tailed off, especially the last 10K when I lost around 10 mins to end up 3.57.44. Hopefully the training and the running team will keep me going to the end this time.

Just waffling on now, must be pre race nerves

see you soon

pete
  • Options
    pete - out of interest what was your training like last year as frankly i'd settle for this
  • Options
    I had a lovely sports massage this morning. That's today's workout. Whatever comes of Sunday, I know that I've enjoyed the course of massages I treated myself to this training season. Now all I have to do is figure out how to work that into the budget for each marathon.

I'm off to trim my toenails. I've got a black one, and I haven't even run the marthon yet! Must book a pedicure for next week so I don't have to watch the nails go funny shades.

I've printed off pace bands for both 3.40 and 3.45...still haven't decided if I'm actually going to wear them, though. All I know is that I'm crap at math while standing still, so 20 miles into a marathon means I'm worthless figuring out splits.

Safe travels everyone.