A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Well don't know how i managed that 12.27 miles in 2;02:25 with an average HR of 139 thats 70%WHR.

I decided to have a little play with the M-paced run decided (good or bad i don't know) to do 2 seperate miles had the wind on my back when i did 2 miles in between.
    I ended up on this path 1½ miles long i ran up and down this twice it was very quite apart from the odd bird (feathered type) one runner (twice) and a man with his dog.
    So decided to do the mile about the same spot each time, using guidance from Daniels vdot table currentlyi should aim for 8:43 so thats what i tried

8:48 148HR 77%
    8:49 148HR 77%

Though didn't hit target i'm quite pleased with that

• Afternoon all. No hot water, so i'm still a bit dry sweaty n achey sat here, waiting on a bathful heating up! Saw Mr Dogfish in the old hall with the ceiling mounted 3 bar electric heaters at the back of 10. Moseyed out at 10 to 12 with the Glen virtually flooded from a lot of rain. Didn't affect the run though. The feared wind, like last year was barely noticeable, but in yer face on the way out, then it might have been behind me coming home, but i didn't feel it. Started off steady, and the early 3 or 4 miles are like a Blackpool rollercoaster, so the splits are hardly consistent. 7.48 for mile 1. 7.14 for mile 2. 7.56 for mile 3. 7.30 for mile 4. 7.47 for mile 5. 7.58 for mile 6. 7.18 for mile 7. 8.01 for mile 8. 7.36 for mile 9. 8.22 for mile 10. 7.36 for mile 11. 7.42 for mile 12. Then 8.10 for the last 1.1 miles for a finishing time of 1:40:58. Would've been happy with 1.42, and I never really bust a gut, so not too shabby. At around the 9/10 mile mark, I caught up with a lady from Forfar Roadrunners who was struggling, but i made it clear to her that she was gonna finish what she'd started, so I pulled her along to within 500 yards of the end when she had to walk for a bit. I knew her from running with them a couple of years ago. Suffice to say Mr Dogfish was at the finish line waiting for me. His grown up daughter is far too pretty to come from the same gene pool ! I discussed with her the high probability that her Dad was on performance enhancing drugs, but she seems happy that he is happy ! Another commemmorative mug, pea n ham soup instead of stovies and a Guinness, then down the road and home. Fireworks and bonfire at Edzell tonight with the kids. The wife is still hungover!?

LS

• Nice time LS, I'd be happy with that at the pancake flat brass Monkey in jan, well to be totally honest I'd like to be 59 seconds faster ! that's a pretty damm fast time for such a hilly course. There again I may be scientific but you're a lot faster, I just sound like I know what I'm talking about...I'm a good bluffer !

good run pammie, always gratifiying when you get a good one in 

Thanks for reminding me clairster, better get my entry form in for the Rombalds Stride, will look back over the last few pages and print the entry form that was posted.

only 11 miles at a very slow pace just under 10 min miling this morning, lovely weather , cool but sunny and fairly calm. seemed to be half of Tingley walking their dog, must have say good morning a couple of hundred times..friendly lot these northerners. Still running at a very slow pace but will stick with it for another week before I start to do anything faster, 43 miles for the week, just need to get back over 50 to get that weight back down, luckily going out for a curry tonight so that should help ??

better get off for the carbo loading

cheers

beders

• Man-flu all gone bar the gunk collating in my nose and mouth for half-hourly clearouts. I decided to take these clearences out door onto my new 3.5m road/trail/hill run. Just 3rd time I've run it and its a classic little route. Cracking little circuit taking in humber foreshore, country park trails and ponds, step climbs all nearly in the shadow of the humber bridges massive north tower and approach road. Think its my new easy or OWTB circuit now that I have moved further away from my old trail route.

LS - Cracking day, sounds like a hard run on that undulator. Guiness sounds good too, think I'll have one or three tonight. XC tomorrow which I have a more relaxed approach to than the road-race PB-chasing events.

Pammie - Great effort to keep the HR down under 70% for so many miles. With current lack of long runs I think I'd struggle.

Nick - I agree, P&D does sound harsh. I'll save the mega miles for next time if this years approach doesn't work. I like running, but too much road mileage at too slower pace isn't fun.

Umbongo - Ouch!! Best wishes to your lad. Who'd have though somersaulting could be so dangerous, think I may have to cut down image

Clairster, JBSS - Good luck at Lancaster.

Beders - Very sensible and self-controlled. One more week and you can take foot off the brake a bit and get ready for that PB attempt at Brass Monkey.

SB/LS - Enjoyed the medical comedy. Gave me a few laughs during a "dreich" day at work yesterday. Keep at it.

Racing wise I've go my entries in for Thirsk 10 and 23m+ Rudolph's Romp off-road in East Yorks in December. Then Rombalds Stride in and Snake Lane 10 in Feb 2009. Reasonable chance of a 10m PB at one of those and some good endurance from the LDWA events. Will catch up with a few of you lot at these.

Now where's that Guiness, need it to strengthen the legs for tomorrows hills. Best XC route we do this one, also one of the hardestimage

Euph

• Freemers - Good luck in your comeback race. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan and hopefully you'll surprise yourself at just how fast you go. 

NN - Also good luck with your 7. Only a short time to be out in wind and gales at least.

Whats the deal here? is it 7m race season early November or is this a backlash against metric ditsnace races that I don't know about

November
    09/11 - Stowmarket Scenic 7: Freemers
    09/11 - Lancaster Half Marathon: JBSS, Nick
    09/11 - Tavy 7 : Night Nurse
    16/11 - St Neots Half: BlueWombat
    16/11 - Thorpe Park 10k: Euph
    16/11 - Flatts Lane XC: JBSS
    16/11 - Epsom 10: Chelsea Plodder
    22/11 - Liverpool Leeds multiterrain canal towpath 19.5m World Championship: Euph
    23/11 - Abbey Dash 10k: Tutu Much
    30/11 - Thirsk 10m: Euph, Ozy, JBSS, Tutu Much (not sure yet)
    30/11 - City of Norwich Half Marathon: Freemers

December
    06/12 - Rudolph Romp 24: Euph
    07/12 - Acklam XC: JBSS
    07/12 - stockport 10 (yippppeeee): clairster
    07/12- Nene valley 10 martin
    28/12 - Jolly Holly Jog 10K: JBSS

Jan 2009
    01/01 - Wymondham 10k: Freemers
    03/01 - Hebden 22: Euph? clairster?
    15/01 Folkingham 15 Martin (Maybe)

Feb 2009
    07/02 - Rombalds Stride 22: Euph, clairster, Tutu Much
    15/02 - Liversedge Half Marathon: Tutu Much
    15/02- Samford 30k Martin
    15/02 - Bungay 20k: Freemers
    15/02 - Plymouth Hoe 10 mile : Night Nurse
    22/02 - Snake Lane 10: Euph

March 2009
    01/03 - Meon Valley Plod 20: Chelsea Plodder
    07/03 - Surrey Rumble Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder
    08/03 - Wymondham 20: Freemers
    29/03 - Orion 15: Chelsea Plodder
    29/03 - Reading Half Marathon: Night Nurse

April 2009
    26/04 - Flora London Marathon: Nursey, Beders, Clairster (TBC), Littlest Stoker, Euphster, Sporty Badger, Tutu Much, sIMonO, JBSS, NickM, Freemers, Yaddi

May 2009
    10/05 Halstead Marathon - Pammie
    10/05 - Fred Whitton Challenge: Chelsea Plodder
    31/05 - 20km de Bruxelles: Chelsea Plodder

June 2009
    21/06 - Dave Lloyd Mega Ride: Chelsea Plodder
    28/06 - Dartmoor Classic Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder

July 2009
    12/07 - Iron(wo)Man Switzerland: Tutu Much
    20/07 - L'Etape du Tour: Chelsea Plodder - Now your showing off!!

• Thanks Euph - please don't cut down on the somersaulting because of my son's experience - somesaulting is very, very safe (more people get killed by coconuts than by somersaulting) its just when you add a couch that the danger level goes way upimage
  • Morning..

Umbongo..I followed the P&D schedule for London this year..and felt great...and got my 10 mile and half marathon pb during training too...it does take a alot of time..and there is room for juggling it around a bit..we all have lives..and I too have a mid week club run....which I extended by running a couple of miles before meeting club mates.. ....and if needs be..I took a rest day instead of a recovery run on the monday....its easy to pick out the "key " sessions...the weekend long run of course..the 2 meduim long runs..and a tempo run..most of the other runs..are recovery runs....its the high mileage I like....and no trips to the track !!!

Pammie..nice run..the extra miles you are getting in is paying off...

LS well done on the 1.40...you say those splits arent conssitant...but they look pretty good to me... and I bet that lady runner was glad of your encouragement at the end...nice one..

Beders ..nice mileage..you must be clocking the most miles out of the chaps on here... (that will get them all going ) image

Euph ..image..thanks I AM eating porridge...lovely picture of your gunky nose in my head now..

Nice late start at Tavy..12oclock..take about an hour to get there....see ya later..

• Nursey, i will never be looking to do the mega mileages you lot do ! I think 42 or 43 miles was the most I did in the run up to FLM in a week. I may bump it up to 4 runs a week, and who knows, I might even start doing things like intervals and hill repeats and stuff !! Been thinking about yesterdays run, and I am happy that i did a good deed, and still did a good time. When I caught up with the lady, for the previous 5 or 6 miles, a big lump of a bloke had been sat just behind me, never taking the lead. He went past when i ran with my friend, but I took the bugger with a finishing sprint in the last 0.1 of a mile, so, looking at the last few miles pace, we never really slowed, apart from an 8.22 mile 10.

Good luck to the ladeez today. Nursey, Jelly, Freemers, and the still married Nick.

Nursey, is he still a distraction, or has he moved up the scale a notch? Do i need to start preparing a speech ?

LS

• Don't normally post Sundays cos t'internet is so slow on the home modem (no broadband in the middle of nowhere that is North Suffolk...). But just got back from Stowmarket and have to wait for hot water (Mr F used it all the bu**er!), so thought I would give you my race report.

As you know it was my first race for ages so feeling quite nervous this morning. Got there really early as parking is a nightmare, so spent the time going through my old pre-race routine (three toilet visits and a gel). We'd had a bad storm over night and it was still quite windy, but the sun was shining and quite good weather for running really.

Race started 11.02 (after 2 mins silence apart from a bit of teeth chattering). First mile slightly downhill, and went through in 6.56, so deliberately backed off the pace a bit (particularly cos the last mile is the same in reverse so knew it would be an uphill one). Tucked in behind a few runners who shielded me from the wind a bit. From then I kept a pretty even pace, with the mile times really only different because of the undulations, so after that first one it was 7.12, 7.18, 7.01 (down), 7.26 (up), 6.59, 7.12 (up), then another 0.1 mile by my Garmin and finished in 50.48.

Dead chuffed with the time, as really only looking for something in the 52's or so. I think it was only about 20 seconds slower than my best ever for the course, and I didn't really think I had that in me to be honest. I think I was in the top 10 ladies too (one of the marshals told me that at about 5 miles and no ladies passed me after that point, in fact I think I passed at least one in the last mile), so it'll be interesting to see the results when they publish them.

Well done at Glen Clova, LS, that's a great time.

Water should be hot by now so off for a bath.

• Well done Freemers. Cracking even pace on another undulating route. Proper running we do !! Must feel great to be pinning a number on yer vest after so long out injured. Stay healthy, won't ya ?Enjoy your belated hot soak. I had to wait til teatime yesterday, coz the hungover wife n kids had all had a soak. Must get around to fixing the shower cubicle!
  • Afternoon folks,

Freemers - that's a great run, with splits I'd love to call my own. Good for you - nice to see you back racing - and in style! Enjoy the hot water.

LS - well done on a cracking run yesterday. Yes, I'm still married - I managed to bag a great husband!

Beders - hope you enjoyed your 11 miler.

Euph - glad you're feeling better, don;t get me wrong, I would love to be able to run high mileage this winter, but I don;t think I'll have time. What marathon are you?

I'm just back from my first long rin, well longish at 12 miles. Twas a corker. Set out aiming for 9 min/miling, but felt good and just decided to run to feel rather than looking at my watch. Splits were: 8.45, 8.40, 8.33, 8.26, 8.27, 8.34, 8.26, 8.17, 8.10, 8.11, 8.08 and final one 8.01.

Felt very comfortable and strong. Took no water and no gels - whoops! But did take my ipod and enjoyed some cracking music.

Hope Sarah and Clairster got on well today at the half marathon I was supposed to run!

nick

I'm just back - still sweaty

• Freemers - Big pat on the back, are you sure you've had over a year doing little or no running? Fantastic.

NN - Sorry about that, if you didn't like that description you won't like my note below on todays XC image How's your 7 go.

Fraid to say I couldn't manage 7, though the course was over 10k which is big for XC I would have thought. Its also a hilly bugger criss-crossing a muddy dale. More like trail or fell running. After first hill and first descent I felt reasonable then I managed to slip on my arse climbing over a gate. After a muddy climb through the woods the marshall pointed left, a new route and a steep climb. At this point my flemmy, underenergised system sent my brain a message - message read "Give it up, you don't need to be doing this". I just seemed to shut down at that point, walking up the hill after only 1.5m! I started running again at the top of the short hill but really plodding. Runners streaming past and a sloth swung leisurely overhead sniggering at my slovenly pace.

Playing to my strong suit I managed to pick up a few places on a downhill stretch a bit later - briefly felt good again. However, about 1.5m later I crashed again, slowing to a walk. It was a good course, probably no harder than last year but I was a whole 3 minutes slower (53mins), 30 seconds a mile. Chalk it down as a hard training run. Pretty sure the not-quite-going lurgy has something to do with it. Keep telling myself it doesn't matter, I'll feel better after my roast dinner image

• Yep Nick, you n the missus grabbed a couple of crackers sure enough !!

Tre-mendous run today Nick. Loved the fact the last 6 miles were the best, and you were only 2 secs off a 7.xx closing mile! Hope it gave you the buzz you get when you are running well, and running a decent distance too. I ignored the water yesterday, as it sloshes around inside me, and I'm not used to that feeling in training. Did take a honey gel at 9 miles though, so maybe that had an effect. I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll see the times and distances for you n Freemers improve by huge margins.

What kind of music? Mines would be an 'eclectic' mix of Rose Garden by Lynn Anderson, Chirpy Chirpy cheep cheep by Middle of the Road, Brilliant Mind by Furniture, Party Fears Two by The Associates, My Baby Just Cares for Me by Nina Simone, Squeezebox by The Who, Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon, Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks, Don't Give up on Us Baby by David Soul, and the song I sing to my wife when i'm in the bath and wanting to wind her up about eventually divorcing her, Dance the Night Away by The Mavericks.

Am i cool or what .........?

Little Stink of Cheese.

EUPH AS A YOUNG, BUT VERY PRETTY, BOY

http://www.wijblijvenhier.nl/uploads/2007/snot.jpg

• Afternoon...

LS ...still a distraction..which suits me .. ..dont hold your breath on the speech....not that I am a commitment phob or anything...image..not seen him for 4 weeks..lol..he works abroad..(at least thats what he tells me)..ha ha..get plenty of emails and phone calls though.he is home in 2 weeks time...

Freemers..VERRRY nice 7 miler there cracking mile splits...what a brilliant return to racing for you...well done indeed...

Nick ..nice 12 miler..finishing strong..great stuff...how come you didnt do the half ?

Euph..still a good run..after a nasty bout of man flu...its all miles in the legs....hope you enjoyed the roast...

Tavy 7 went well for me..nearly over 2 mins off when I did it a couple of years ago..its all on open moorland roads....very exposed and windy..and starting with a nice 2 mile climb..so no chance of going off too fast.... all that kept me going was ..that I knew those first 2 miles..would also be our last...DOWN wheeeeeeee

mile splits..

8.18 up
    8.15 up
    7.45 upish
    7.08 down
    7.59 up down
    7.12 down
    6.40....wheeeeeeee

53.35..on the clock

• well done all image

woohoo 1.45.25 - fastest half in nearly 3years..despite driving wind and rain! am well happy as i was aiming for 1.48 imageimage

• Well done Clairster. I never seen yer name up as a racer this weekend.

Woo Hoo indeed on the new benchmark. Thats proper running in proper conditions!

Enjoy a cosy relaxing smug self satisfied Sunday evening !

• Clairster..brilliant...weird where these strong runs come from....at times when we think the elements are against us...image
  • Hey - BRILL run from you Clairster, despite the weather! Good on you, bodes well for the BM in January, I'll be cheering you on!

NN - that's a brill set of mile splits for an off-road run, especially the final one - where did that come from? Well done you! I didn't do the half for a few reasons. I start a new job tomorrow so wanted an easy day to prepare, and I haven't trained. I also hate halves... Still need to face that demon!

LS - my ipod really needs an update, haven't added to it for about 4 years! Amongst the mix this morning were: Madonna: Borderline, Guru: Sights of the City, Kaiser Chiefs: I predict a riot, Stereo Mcs: Connected and Femi Kuti: can't remember what the song was called. So a bit of a bizarre mix - not all of it conducive to fast running!

I'm taking a rest day tomorrow - on a bit of a high after today's (modestly) successful run. But I'm trying to build up, this week I averaged 29 miles, from a big fat zero the week before, so I guess I should aim for 30 miles a week for a few weeks before I increase.

Happy running!

• After that, would like to say some damm fine running going on there, NN, NickM, Clairster et al. Looking forward to trying some faster stuff myself after one more enforced week of slow running, hope the legs remember how to do it. Sounds like it's been a wild day for running, must admit it wasn't too good for cleaning roof gutters and trimming trees, would have much prefered to be running ! a lot safer nearer the ground.

sarah texted with her half result, will let her give the full details but it sounded a damm good run to me...again lots of hills and gale force winds !

never try and run too hard so soon after man flu euph, you did well to get round at all, sounds like a good fun course as well. wimped out of the Shepherd Skyline fell race today, saving myself for the Stoop on 21st december (plus it's a bit shorter) will have to get out on those fells again !

back to work tomorrow, wonder what excitement awaits me this time ?

cheers

beders

• Good running NN, NickM, Clairster and others. Clairster those races that just go well are magic and you sometimes wish you had gone that bit faster. My best half was when my Garmin went mad and lost half a mile so I thought I was on track when in fact I was about three minutes ahead -wasn't until I crossed line did I realise.

• Did XC with club this morning - it wasn't too challenging as a lot on paths with just a bit along the side of the fields - I made it more difficult by wearing shoes with no grip at all! They had changed the course since the last time I did it so had no idea how far to the end - I was a bit premature at one stage thinking I was coming up to the finish so started to speed up, only to find out there was at least 3/4 mile left - anyway nothing too speady just under 6 miles in 46 minutes - didn't want to push it as hamstring slightly tight at the start
  • Hi  all

Now I have come back down to earth a little I can most more sensibley

Welcome back UB image

Nick - cracking training run after..so pleased the mojo is returning. I run with my ipod, its great..all sorts of cheesey music bt it really helps

Freemers - fantastic return to racing for you, long awaited and very well deserved!

NN - great run from you and i love the description of your splits with hills

well lancaster half what can i say? i have been struggling to get 1.50 for the past couple of years and in the summer i decided to take a step back and focus on gettting my running more efficient and faster. I scrapped my autumn mara plans and have be doing weekly tempo runs or mile reps, hill work, drills (twice a week) and strides (twice a week if poss). I have been trying to make most of my runs easier (pace wise, i think before I was running easy runs too hard and hard runs too easy), witho ne quality sesh a week. I have also been on diet and given up my beloved chocolate and cheese. I think it all accidentally came together on sunday. Plan was supposed to be 3M WU ~8.30 then 7M @ 8-8.15 and £.1M with whatever I had left but perhaps 8.30. My goal race is a 10M in dec and BM in Jan. However, despite being kept up half the night by drunk people at the travel lodge and howling wind, freezing temps and hail my legs were on good form and just took over

I set off and almost instantaneously comfortabley hit 8s..was runnign with a friend for 3M thinking maybe I should ease of the pace soon as this could be disastrous but I just seemed to settle into a hard but manageable groove. the wind was relentless on the way out, but it was flat paths and cycleways. I made sure I had a drink every couple of miles as it is easy to forget how dehydrating the wind can be. 6M in 49mins and still feeling strong. we then hit the road and i dropped pace a bit, had a bit of a dip here and thought oh well, serves me right for going out so fast. then an unexpected hill, which looked like a mountain and I was at 9.30mm by the top. but the descent was fab and really re-invigorated me. Flew down this and was back in the groove again, steady 8s appearing. 8M in 1.05, I knew all I had to do was run 9mm to get 1.50. Maybe I could get 1.48 or 1.47. Went through 10M in 1.21and was constantly doing maths to predict my finish time based on 9mm. The legs just kept cruising and wouldnt budge at just sub 8mm. the hail came at 11M but i just kept going. through 12 in 1.36 and thought 10mins more. Maybe 1.46? on to the track for the final bit and OMG it is going to be sub 1.46 image. Finally after over 2yrs, a time I am really proud of image still 2mins slower than my PB but at least it is within sight of my PB image

great to see you JBSS, sorry you didnt have the run you wanted but an awesome run nevertheless

• Morning all

Flying visit and quick read back, so in summary brilliiant running/raceing going on then.

LS- Your run in a similar way to me 3 times a week but quicker, the difference you are loads faster. Sure you have said but whats your best mara. Im going to try and beat 1.15 for a 10 miler in Peterborough 7/12 but feels like a big challenge.

O maybe good news re London. Now know I have a 2 in 3 chance in the club draw. fingers crossed

• Nice race report Clairster...what you need is another half in 3 weeks time..a flat course would clinch a PB....trust me....any more halfs around ?...that 10 miler should be a good one for you too...weldone again..

Nick mine wasnt all off road...country lanes and road..... and that last mile..was a lovely down hill..no stopping me when a race finishes on a down hill..I have great pleasure in passing all those that though they had left me for dead on the uphill bits..there was a rather arrogant young man..of around 20ish I would say..that said "come on well done lady you can get up this hill"...as he glided past me..effortless .but he said it in a such a patronising manner it wound me right up...I saw him..about 50 meters in front of me in the last half mile...and thought right you little so and so..(not really what I thought but it began with S..lol).and it spurred me on and I beat him..HA HA ...

Beders be patient..you are still in recovery...

looking forward to JBSS report..in fact I think I will text her NOW !!

6 mile recovery run in the pouring rain for me..

• Hey NN, thanks for the text, you're running sooooo well, that's a great time on Tavy 7, bet you were flying after that bloke on the downhill, nothing like that to spur you on.Last week I went to the phsyio, as I've had very tight and sore adductor muscles, so she manipulted them, but the right one is pretty sore after running.  She's given me exercises and told me to take 2 weeks off running and cross train to allow them to settle.  Boo!!!  imageDespite this, I decided to run the Lancaster Half Marathon yesterday and had a pretty disappointing run - the wind was blowing against us for the first 6 miles, then the course went up hill a bit, then it pelted with hail, then a howling wind with rain in the last 2 miles.  I really didn't feel in good shape from the first mile, not because of my adductors, just not in the right shape for 13.1 miles I guess.  I eventually crossed the line in 1.40, one of my slowest Half Marathons for about 3 years, never mind, plenty of time to get into shape and build the mileage between now and New Year, didn't think I was going to set a PB.  I've been swimming this morning, to ease my joints and muscles and now not allowed to run for the rest of the week, so will heed the words of the physio  imageClairster on the other hand seemed to fly along in everything the elements had to offer, go for you!!  She ran an excellent and well-deserved race for a great time.  Great to see you again & well done  imageLS, brilliant running at Glen Cova, sounds like a real toughie, so you have every reason to be pleased with your time!!  Top stuff.  You have the stamina to go up to 4 runs a week now and start building the mileage, no problem.
  • Don't know what's happened to this spacing again, I always seem to break it!!

Freemers, what a fabulous come-back run that is, no wonder you're pleased, the prolonged rest has obviously done you no harm at all and you ran some fabulous splits, great stuff!!

Nick, sounds like you're heading back to top form with your 12 miler, I'd love you to pull me round a good route and could use your help right now - I'll have a pint of what you're on please.  I could do with some rejuvenating over the next few weeks, would like to run some of your long training runs together, like we did last year, did me no harm at all.

Euph, at least you know it was the man flu making you feel rubbish at XC yesterday, take it easy and don't kill yourself.  I felt like that at mile 6 with the wind yesterday, I realised I wasn't feeling great and going to run a good time, so a long training run is no bad thing.

Umbongo, glad the XC went well yesterday, it really is a different animal to road running.  Wish my garmin had done that yesterday, would've been a bonus!!  image

• Beders, we all still on for canal run on 22nd?  Hopefully my groin/adductors/broken bits will be able to run again by then in some shape or form.
  • JBSS / Clairster - great times both of you. JBSS - you can't be too disappointed with that time, given you are injured. I am sure once you take physio's advice you'll be back up to speed.

NN - your 7 sounds a bit tougher than mine!

I woke this morning to find my left achilles has tightened up a bit after yesterday. Doesn't feel too bad but I'll take a few days off running and just do a lot of stretching and massage, which should put it right. Didn't hurt during the run at all, so not sure why it's become sore. Oh well, I don't think it'll set me back too much. If necessary I can always skip the HM at the end of the month, as there are more important races next year (April!!)

Found out I was 8th lady (out of 126 in total) yesterday which I am very pleased about. And 4 of those ahead of me were fellow FV40's, so us oldies are really holding our own!

• Hi all. I got a bit down on running yesterday, one of the guys I often run along with beat me by about 7 minutes and I lost to people I tend to beat. I wasn't enjoying running. Then I thought what the hell am I going on about, I ran like crap as I still pretty much felt like that. Motivation was also way down so not sure what I was expecting. In truth I need a bad race every now and then as this tends to spur me on.

So back to it now. I work best with a plan so I've thought over my targets for the next few months and will train accordingly. I have a 10k next weekend which I may or may not do. Its easier than last one where I pb'd, but depedning how I feel I don't need another bad race! After that I have a mixed bag until marathon training starts. I'm going to get out and run long on/off road to build some endurance for the 20m+ LDWA events between now and early Feb. I'll also keep hard at the Thursday night club speed/tempo sesh to maintain pace for XC races, and club 3m league each month. I'll put another two runs in, likely Tuesday and Saturday but will try and focus with one hill or off-road sesh and maybe a mid length marathon paced run (6-12m). Sorry to go on but helps my motivation.

Clairster - Cracking race, just kept getting better and better from sub 1:50, to nearly sub 1:45! You'll be good over that 10miler. When your feeling good its surprising how much of the bad weather you can block out.

JBSS - 1:40 is still good on a crap windy day when your not 100% Sure you'll be running much better by time of Thirsk 10.

Beders - What b'ya doing, get'owt on t'fells!

NN - Good time in a hilly and unusual sounding race.

Nick - Cracking run, first of many I'm sure. Always better when you don't expect them.

Umbongo - Not a bad time at XC!

LS - That was my good side image

Cheers