A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Well done The Badger!!!

Superb running fella. I did a 10.6 miler tonight at 7.46 pace, so have an idea how unbelievably well you ran to do 16 more miles at a pace a smidgeon quicker. Great determination to ignore the devil on yer shoulder whispering doubts in yer lugs for the last 10 miles.Did you have a mate doin it too? 3.23 is a crackin time. You trained hard Badge, n those runs in zombieland helped on the day. How was Paree? Haven't been since I was 13 on a school trip to Switzerland. Couldnt sleep in the Hotel Star coz of the heat, so got up to goforra shower which was a communal one on the landing for all the rooms, As I got there, an Amazonian black lady walked out bold as brass n butt naked n glistening n pert, said 'Bonjour' to the wee white Scottish lad, then glided across to her room. I was so naive n innocent, had she dragged me in, I wouldnt have known what to do anyway!
    Sportsmans Dinner at Brechin City FC on Saturday. Will I be so drunk that I'll end up bending the ear of their new manager Ray McKinnon, and reminding him how as a 10yo boy in 1979, I man marked him out of the semi final of the Banks Trophy. Admittedly, he later played for Dundee United, and Brian Clough signed him for Forrest for £750,000, but he does not have a Banks Trophy winners medal from 1979, does he!?

Stoker

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Tell the fella he was lucky to progress as it should have been you but for the shrapnell wound, beer, fags and wimmin'. His loss.

Paris was great, beautiful city and a nice running course. organisation was mental, total chaos at times. As the dogs of the city seem to show everyone, there's no priority on toilet areas, just go where you want to. Before joing the 3.15 pen, I needed a wee, so joined the others in just slashing in the shop window of the nearest store. it was like having Jimmy Riddle up against the spring/summer display collection window of Burberry's on Regent Street in full view of passing public.

I was on the start line with two pals. One was supposed t do 3.10 but bombed in the last 5 but still scrambled a 3.18. He was gutted though, he trained really hard. My other pal and I were supposed to run together. I thought he went off a bit too hot and I was worried about my injuries so I told him after one mile that it may not be my day and I'll have to nurse my legs for a few miles.

I met him at 10 miles, he was actually behind me but caught me at a water station! I was having a really bad section but he was worse. stangely and selfishly his misfortune made me feel better. I told him to follow me for a bit but I found some new bounce and left him. He came home in 3.39 when he should have done 3.20-ish.

Paris was the most mature race I've ever run. I didn't panic when things went wrong, I worked out a new strategy and saw it through. I should have got a 3.16 to 3.19 but if I had chased that I would have blown the left calf and struggled to go sub-4, it really was that close. Mile 24 was done at 7.24 pace which shows I was in shit or bust mode by then. I could smell a PB to rescue my day and it worked. Feel proper proud of myself to be honest. 

The heat in London cost me 5-10 mins in 2009 but I'm a better runner now. maybe I'll hook up a real injury free and ideal conditions marathon one day.

For now, I'll enjoy my new PB and dine out on the fact I've now got a Boston Marathon qualifying time!!image

SB

• Nice one SB ,image Paris is a great course, and I hear the conditions were good,I did it in 2007 and it was really hot..

obsessing about the weather for the 21st now..looks like its warming up, sodding typical

• Nice run SB, great PB all things considered inmlast few months! Fancy Paris, but for a hol rather than the marathon I think.

Enjoy Boston if you do decide to go for it. Making it there is half the challenge! I'll probably need to wait for a few years as 3:05 sounds a bit hot for this road-dodging hill plodder.

Best of luck NN.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Well done SB! It is a wonderful course isn't it?

NN I just looked at the forecast, not good.

• Nursey, do you ned me to hold your hand AGAIN ??????

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Cheers guys. The Course was great Puffster but London does the organisation better. However the chaos was part of the charm. Being so easy to enter, if I need an emergency marathon, I'd do Paris again.

Watched the race on recorded Eurosport tonight, even the commentators were saying how mad it is with chaotic organisation and members of the public just getting in the way. Great fun.

SB

• Wonder if the Amazonian still looks good 30 years later...?
    Out on Tuesday n did 10.63 miles at 7.46 pace.
    Out tonight n did the same run at 7.50 pace.
    Not busting any guts, just running comfy. I'll do another run on Saturday morning. Hope Lee Westwood wins the Masters. Roll on Sunday night for the best evenings sport of the year. Still cold up here. Working in Kirriemuir today, birthplace of JM Barrie, and there are still large pockets of snow all over the golf course. This time last year we'd had barbecues by now.

LS

p.s. today the judge ruled that we had to pay the neighbour £200 towards the costs of her sewage repairs, and not the £3,000 she was sueing us for. Less than I feared, but I still begrudge paying the lying, scheming cow a penny!

• Was it really 5 years ago that I nursed Nursey to a cracking time at FLM08? To be honest, it seems like a lot longer. Out today at 6am. Today was just a steady jog of 12.84 miles to add the miles n boost the leg strength before next Sunday's race. Cruised around at 8.23 pace. Very happy with that, and will now just go for maybe a 6 miler on Tuesday n that'll be that. The fetch mileage tracker thing automatically puts me down for 1,000 miles a year as a target. I'm not chasing it, but noticed today that I'm finally in credit, on 287 miles for the year and 4.9 miles ahead of schedule.
    Looking forward to the Sportsmans Dinner tonight. My boy/pension plan is playing in Dundee tomorrow. My old man n brother will come down n watch him. He'll love that. Very quiet pre London thread this year. Has someone done a similar timed thread n stole all our traffic?? Nursey, are you doin London?

LS

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Stoker Puffy Junior went to Sportsman's dinner last night at Chester, he'd never been to one before and loved it.  Nobby Stiles was the main guest but the Goalie from the 77 milk cup semi final side stole the show.

• dont tell me theres 2 of you mr puffy.whos nobby stiles'milk cup whats that?
  • I'm sure I went to one where the speaker was Nobby Stiles's son?!
    Saturday we had Scottish referee John "I look like Pierluigi Collina" Rowbotham, and the comedian was the fattest man Ive ever seen who is able to walk. I give him a week and pity the pallbearers.
    Fishface, are you old enough to be on here on your own??

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say huge well done to the sportsmeister - brilliant effort SB off what doesn't look like a perfect training block. Just think what you can do when properly fit image

Awful stuff from Boston yesterday image

FF - I'm sure Mr P has you on ignore by now from all the other threads you're following him around on, Not sure what your game is but it's boring.

Anyway, VLM on Sunday (good luck NN image)...hoping for something similar to SB.

• you must be following me to know thatimage

got you
  • the show must go on . i will run on sunday in respect and solidarity 4 boston so sad kid lost his life my heart goes out to the family
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Freemers: Thanks Missus!! Paris was a really good result in the end. Really pleased to put in a solid final 10k while 2 other mates hit the wall who should have been quicker than me. Unfortunately it does mean I have unfinished business with the 26.2 discipline and will have to do another!

After achieving a Boston qualifying time last week, I spent some of the weekend looking at the costs and arrangements for doing next year's Boston marathon. Even the wife said we should build it into an easter break around New England. While the expense would actually appear somewhat prohibitive, the events of yesterday make me want to go there, support the event and show defiance against the aggressors.

After initial shock, I'm really angry that someone would pick such a soft target.
    I hope it doesn't put anyone off doing London on Sunday.

SB

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    fishface2 wrote (see)
    you must be following me to know thatimage
    got you

How do you know I'm not stalking Puffy too image

SB - I was thinking about Boston for 2015, but agree with you that 2014 would be good to do for those reasons...assuming I get the time. I'll give it some thought.  Most people I know doing VLM are more up for it than ever now.

• Who's a hasbeen?
    Strange way to ingratiate yourself to a new thread.
    I'm only ever on this thread, so don't know what else goes on, but will gladly ignore any male hen who tries to rock this happy boat.
    Some news items are just impossible to comprehend, and it seems for many of the injured, the effects will last forever, in a terribly life changing way.
    Wild winds up here, so didnt bother going out tonight. Ma's steak n kidney pie went down a treat with no guilt, as I am tapering !
    Cut my grass for the first time last night, exactly a month later than I did last year. Roll on Spring!
    Freemers, don't be a stranger!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Quick update for you guys...I am gobsmacked...3.16.20 !!!! How did I do that???
  • Freemers, you are a running genius!!!!!
    That is absolutely superb!!!!! and to think I was happy-ish with my 1.43 today at the Angus Half Marathon.... What's that? About 7.30 min mile? That's my best half pace!! Why didnt Mo Mercenary Farah win the half race by a minute or two?
    I came home, n had a soak, then went to the pub with my brother n old man. The last mile n a half is an uphill slog, n I kept it going, but not fast enough. My mate, who only started running last February, has done 3 halfs. A 1.52, a 1.43, and today, a 1.39. He's 49 as well.... We are doin Edinburgh in 5 weeks. I'm determined to beat the beggar! Golfing in Cupar in Fife with my 72yo uncle tomorrow at 9.30, so I'm in bed n ready to sleep.

G'night all.

Stoker.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

LS - well done with that half...and now you have a real rival to chase at Edinburgh. Is that the same guy you got into running and trained up? You're not meant to let him beat you! image

7.29 pace if you don't mind image. The aim all along was 3.20 but I'd got a bit of confidence by running a 20 mile race about 7 weeks out at 7.30 pace pretty much spot on, so thought I'd go for it and hang on as long as I could - that would still give me a bit of leeway on 3.20 if I had the usual fade in the latter stages. Half way was quick (1.37) as I'd made the most of the big downhill in mile 3 (that was a 6.55 mile!), then I lost a little pace around 20-23 miles but picked it up again so only a 2 minute positive split overall.  I think I just got my head in the right place and gave my legs a bit of a talking to when they started to hurt!

• Brilliant.
    The fella who beat me played pool with me and got into running I guess from seeing me get my other pool playing mate up to half marathon standard. That bloke ran his 5th half on sunday, and continued his streak of always getting a pb. He's gone 1.54, 1.52, 1.48, 1.46, 1.44. He is 50, and works in the oil industry in an office all day. The 1.39 fella is a 49yo fencing contractor, who works long days in all weathers digging all his holes by hand and on his own. By hand I mean with these strange cross-over scoop things. I guess he goes 'to the gym' every day for 10 hours, and with the conditions n hours he works, his mental strength is incredible. Let's see if I can dig deep these next 4 or 5 weeks n give him a run for his money in the big crowds of Edinburgh.

It would help if I was a slim as you Freemers!
    Did Nursey or anyone else run London?
    I'm sure Beders ground out another 4 hour job?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Freemers, that's superb, really pleased for you!! image

I'm also a tad jealous as like you I had trained for sub-3.20 and secretly thought something close to 3.15 was possible. I was on for it too but at 16 the calf injury came back and all I could do was stop, stretch and get myself into position at 20 miles to decide if I could put a 10k kick in to grab a PB. Managed that but it was weird finishing a marathon thinking I had more to give.

So with that in mind I've been entering races and am already planning the spring marathon next year.
    I've entered a 10k around the Olympic rowing lake at Dorney in July. I will get a 10k PB there. Current PB was set there in 2007 when I did 42 mins but I've been beating that during tempo sessions this year (including a 10 miler).

That speed training will set me up for the Maidenhead half in September, possibly the Great South Run in October and then a slow build up to proper mara training from late November onwards.

I'll decide if I'm doing Boston when the entries open in September. Despite qualifying for it, I think it will be hard to get on as so many will try to qualify for next year's race. I'll just have to qualify again...no problem!! image

I'm entering the ballot for VLM14 on Monday but my main focus will be the Brighton marathon on April 6th. I'll enter that next week too. If I get into London I can either defer one or do both as they are 2 weeks apart.image

Sorted! Looking forward to it as well. I've now quit as a football manager after 10 years in the role, so now I can train better, focus properly and enter more races.

SB

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

SB - so frustrating as you know you were in good enough shape for it...you'll just have to do it all over again now!

I'm concentrating on the shorter stuff for a while too. Although I do have a marathon in October that won't be an A race for me. Before then I'll do some 10ks, 10 milers and the odd half. I'd like to go under 1.30 for a half, so that will be my major aim for the rest of the year. 

I'm undecided on Boston or London for next year. Will do the GFA entry for London so at least I have that, but also very tempted to try and get a Boston place and then defer London.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Oooh, I'll race you to sub-90! My PB is 1.30.24, so just 25 secs to take off.image

Just back from my first hilly route for abou 5 months due to protecting calf injuries. 5 cheeky miles and loved it but it's hot out there. Now melting at my desk. Not the best of days to wear a pink shirt!

SB

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

SB - my HM is only 1.34.05...so I need to do a bit of work!  I'm doing the Great Eastern Run in Peterborough in October to target sub-90. It's a very fast course so no excuses really!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Looks like I'm in the Brighton marathon 2014 then. Training starts now!

SB

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

And just out of habit, I've entered the VLM ballot again. If I get in, it's one week after Brighton...could be interesting!

Stoker: Didn't you have a race looming large?

SB

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

I qualified for this group in Manchester last week coming in 3:44:15, an improvement from London 2012 (3:47:51).

i have the Leeds half next week, last years PB 1:44:05 so not as fast as you guys.  First run after Manchester yesterday 3.1 miles and 10.4 miles today, if I'm honest really struggled at 8:34 pace today and need sub 8 min miles next weekend.  I guess I'm still recovering and have a sports massage Tuesday so hopefully that combined with a few short light runs only will help. Last year it was 3 weeks after London, this week only 2 weeks so not sure if that'll make a difference?

Next sub 3:45 target will be in Chester in October.