Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options

Beep.....................................Beeep...................................Beep.........................

.................................................................................................................

The patient needs defibrillating!!!!
    Only run 4 tuimes since my Minikie Half. Have opted out of the Edinburgh Half this weekend as I've spent £175 on train tickets to Bristol for a friend's do mid June and couldnt really justify the daft money for Edinburgh hotels for an 8am start. Plus, I'd struggle to get under 1.45. Hope all are well. The wife has revealed she's seeing a 50yo with a tache from Carnoustie. Knocked the stuffing out of me, but I'm fine now, and we're pressing on with decorating the house to sell up this Summer. I need me some female company!!! 20 years with only the missus. Havent 'sprinkled magic fairy dust' for a year n a half now, n maybe the same again before that. I am the Dundee arm wrestling champ though...

Stoker

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
  • Options

Badger Badger Badger..
    How are you doin fella?

Well the runnin has been sporadic of late, but I entered old faithful, the Glen Campbell Half on Monday. Entry was limited to 350 as per normal, but after entries opened at 7pm, it was full by 11pm! Lookin forward to my seventh mug. My 50yo mate, who only started running last Feb, and is a hard working fencing contractor, digging all his holes by hand, has now done a 44 something 10k, a 1.39 half, and a 3.56 marathon! My other mate, the first one, who is also 50, has now run 6 halfs, and has gotten a pb each time, now down to 1.43. I reckon I'll need to threaten my 1.37.58 pb if I'm gonna win in 11 weeks time. Still not sprinkled any 'fairy dust', but then havent really been looking. My failing eyesight might mean I should step up the search...
    Went to the gym last night on day one of training, n did seven 8.30 min miles, then did an hour on the bike at about 106-110 rpm, which got me 30k or 18.6 miles.

Hope Woking are flying. Dundee are a shoe in for the Scottish First Division.

Be good Badge.
    I'll get you up to Glau Coma next year !

Stoker.

• Options

Glad to hear you're still at it Stokesy boy!

I've been injured most of the summer. Did something to my back which gave me a numb leg. It's been taking ages to repair and still isn't 100% but I've started running again. Managed a 10k race 6 weeks ago around Dorney Lake where they did the Olympic rowing. Being injured I didn't race it so was pleased to get 44 mins exactly in hot and windy conditions (2nd best race time).

I've been doing loads down the gym as well as doing spin classes every week. Working loads on core strength and it's really paying off. With the weight training I've even managed to put bigger knots in the cotton that is my arms.

On the treadmill I'm knocking out 5km runs in 20mins 30secs which almost draws a crowd when I'm in full flow.

Back training properly now (with my numb leg) in a bid to slowly build distance going into December and the start of the Brighton marathon campaign.

I took my lads to Camp Nou in Barcelona last month. Had our picture taken with the European Cup and I tried to convince them I was the English veteran version of Lionel Messi. They had none of it and said not to bring my boots again.

Woking are already in a relegation battle in the Conference Premier. It all makes it very exciting. If you can't win it, you may as well play for the thrill of a 5th from bottom season's decider come the end of term.

Stay tuned, we must do this again some time!

SB

• Options

I never got an email reminder.
    Turned 44 on the 8th. Just spent Friday through to today sanding n varnishing the wooden floors in the house we are trying to flog.
    Goto the website tspc, click on Brechin, n ours is the one at offers over £179,000 with the blue door.
    I'll let you have it for £189,950..
    Last week I went to the gym twice. Tuesday I did 13.1 miles on the treadmill at 8's, then a half hour at a decent lick on the bike. Thursday I did 14 miles at 8's then 20 minutes on the bike.My mate did the Great North run in 1.38.20, so I know I need to step things up a notch. I need to start introducing the speedwork n the outdoor hills, now that I know I have the miles in my legs, but adding the extra biking or rowing seems to have accelerated my running improvements.
    The boy went to watch Brechin City at the weekend. After 5 minutes, a Dunfermline defender booted the ball out for a throw. My son lifted his hand to protect himself n sprained his wrist, so I had to collect him at 3.15 ?!
    Is the Camp Nou a poor mans Glebe Park, but without the hedge?

Cheers Badge.

Stoker.

• Options

11 hilly treadmill miles tonight then 8 miles on the bike, sweating like a cnut. About 1800 calories burnt, so Im about to gorge down a huge tea.
    Blindish date on Thursday, with a woman that Ive only seen a photo of. First date in about 21 years. Cant wait to flog the house now, n get a place of my own. The cooking won't be anywhere near as good as Momma's, but I'll feel like a grown-up again in my own space.

Stonker

• Options

Sounds like a new chapter coming up fou you, Stoker me old son. good luck with the house move and with the date this week. you'll knock her bandy when she claps peers on those magnificent thighs. Nothing has changed on the dating front. You'll be OK in you best flares, big collarred open neck shirt and a lake full of Brut 33. Trust me.

My injury woes appear to be disappearing. I've been keeping to short runs and doing loads of core strength at the gym. Tried the new apparatus that looks like an S&M frame from a sex dungeon but my word does it do wonders for your core strength.

I have over 20 race medals at home but not one of them is for a 5k. I'll be putting that right this weekend when I take part in a triathlon relay as part of a charity thing we're doing at work. I tested myself on a tempo 4 miler on Sunday but wasn't comfy. Did it at 6.53 pace but felt proper fat due to over eating and drinking for most of the summer. My scales yelled "get off me you 14 stone fat ba$tard" this monring. I'm a good 10lbs heavier than when I stood on the start line at the Paris Marathon 5 months ago.

Still, I know it will soon come off. My core is stronger than it's ever been and my speedwork is making me quicker. The Brighton mara campaign starts in December and I'm training to start training. I need to know the exploits of the Stokesy boy to keep me giggling on the road, especially as there is the chance of "cross training" with the totty from Thursday night.

Good luck, Lad.

SB

PS: nearly stamped on a 2ft long Adder snake on an interval session last week. Frightened the facking life out of me!

• Options

Youve heard all my Eartha Kitt stories!
    Last Winter, crouching down in the dark behind a haybale popping out a pancake n wiping my arse with snowballs, as a blizzard with lightning rattled around me, not 200 yards from a mental hospital in freezing temperatures in short shorts is particularly memorable!!
    Some nights if Im bored, I'll click back to the pages from 2007, 2008 when the thread was jumping.
    For a fat ba$tard, you're certainly running quick enough. 6.53's is superb I think for 4 miles. Think I'm about 12 stone 12 now, even with the mountain of food I'm force fed. Last night was a plateful of bacon, egg n chips followed by apple crumble n custard, then a coffee n biscuits. About 1800 calories?
    The totty it turns out is a reflexologist who runs 5 miles every day and also regularly does yoga n Zumba. We've been texting a lot this past week, so I know there's a mischievous wee spark there. She has already admitted the yoga makes her really flexible, and the reflexology is through her magic fingers.
    God help her when I get my hands on her !!
    When Im at  the gym, I nearly need a mop I sweat that much. I drink plenty from the fountain, have an isotonic drink on the way out, then down 2 pints of water when i get in, yet my piss still looks like concentrated Kia Ora? I
    I remember some 1982 world cup match, hearing that Paul Mariner had lost x amount of pounds through the terrific heat. I wonder in volume how much you can sweat. It wasnt even that hot in the gym.

Keep up the training Badge.
    I'll keep you duly informed of the love life.
    Not fancy buying the house then?
    Nearly 5 months n we're barely half way down this page.
    3 TOTP's in a row will take 18 months!

Stokesy

• Options

It's bloody quiet in here

• Options

Reading the recent posts, I see LS is probably doing rude stuff even as I'm typing this!  Or at least planning his moves.  Good luck fella, hope it all still works how it should!!

I have finally decided that its time to dust off my running kit, after 2 years of sloth-like activity.  I thought I'd pop in and see who was still hanging around.  Nice to see Freemers, Mr P, Badge and LS are still here.  Hello all.

Been for a couple of runs.  Ouch.  8.30 pace for 2 miles and I'm toast.  Its gonna be a long road back, but I thought I'd come back to the people who helped turn me into a marathon runner 5 years ago.  You did it once, you can do it again. Can't you?!  Pleeeeease!!!

• Options

Evening everyone, I am ignoring Badger after Woking's victory over plucky Chester, but I confess I would like to know if Stoker gets his end away with Flexi tonight.

on the water front LS i have been  weighing myself pre and post run and on a ten mile run I lose up to 1.5 litres of water.

good luck Mara how are the,cherries coming along? I'm in the last month of training for chester marathon on Octoer 6th, looking at between the low three thirties and three forty five.

• Options
    Alrighty Puffster! My cherries are good thanks. I am tempted to make a crude joke about Stoker's plums now, but I won't!!

Happy to hear you're in training for Chester. I've set myself a 10km race goal for NYE in home town of Ely. It was the first race I ran when I got my entry for FLM09, and I did 52 mins. Now I'm starting all over again, in similar shape. A marathon feels like a pipe dream. Not sure if I can muster up the motivation to do all that training ever again, but hoping to be inspired by this thread like I was in 2009. ????
  • Options

A fcuking disaster!!

We arranged to meet in the pub next to the cinema. We've been texting each other back n forth all week. She said she'd be there at 7.40, so, gent that I am, I got there at 7.30 so she wasnt in a pub on her own. 8.05. No text or reply from her. Im starting to feel like a complete cnut, thinking she'd stood me up. I texted n called. No answer. Then I get a couple of angry texts. Turns out, she'd been stood outside the pub from 7.40 til 8.15 n thought Id stood her up. Her phone battery had gone flat n she said she would never go into a pub on her own?!?!? She thought Id said meet at the pub, not in it.By that time she was 20 miles away n I couldnt go to hers as Id had a few Guinness whilst waiting. Chatted on the phone n Im seeing her tomorrow.

Told you Im all out of practice!

Little Fcuk Up

ps Hullo again to Mara n The Puffmeister.

• Options

LS, it'll be good to have a comedy first date tale to tell in years to come when people ask you and your new missus how you met!  You'll laugh when you look back this image probably!

• Options

Welcome back Puffster and Mara!! I'm doing Brighton in april so we can compare campaign notes throughout the winter. 

Unlucky Stoker, that's comedy sketch right there. I bet the next date will be less stressful as a result.

Did my first ever 5k race today as part of a triathlon relay event at Thorpe Park. Did it in 20.38 which was a real surprise as I've not done much speedwork and had a horrific hangover yesterday after too much red wine on Friday.

Time to start the long runs.

SB

• Options

Get in! 5 months since the last TOTP and I can claim it. Let's not leave it so long till the next one.

SB

• Options

Smashin' 5k Badge. For a gangling fat lump, youve certainly got the speed.
    Just back from my run in the drizzle n dark. Did a new 8.6 mile route with a mile long steep hill in the middle on Saturday, n ran it cautiously at 8.18 pace. Did it again tonight n felt stronger n more confident of taking on this hill n ran it at 7.52 pace with a fair bit left in the tank. It'll be interesting to see how much faster I can do this route over the next 8 weeks before Glau Coma. Certainly toughens up the legs for the hilly parts of that half. Unless its blowing a gale, it'll be all outdoor runs now n no more gym. I plan on doin' a few 13-15 milers, n try n introduce some lung bursting shorter stuff as well
    We're gonna have another go at meeting up n going to the cinema tomorrow night...
    I'll keep you all informed.
    I remember back in the day when we could rattle off a page a day, n I once got 4, or was it 5 TOTP's on the spin.

Stokey

• Options

Had to return books to the library today, so went to the gym next door. So much for all outdoor runs.. On the treadmill, set it on the hilly setting on level 2, for an undulating run, n did the 13.1 rolling miles at 8 min mile pace. Onto the exercise bike n did 8.8km in 20 minutes. Just eaten a mountainous pile of tea, so I reckon Im just about maintaining my current weight due to my Momma's cooking!?

Time to ring the missus n have an argument about her wanting to let my naive 15yo daughter have a private twitter account that we cant monitor. Somehow, she has over 1200 followers, but we're not invited? If I dont get access, I'll be confiscating her iphone this weekend. I'll maybe give her it back for her Christmas, if she's good.

Stoker

• Options
    Good 5k SB. But more importantly, nice totp.

LS, you cant mention your date one day and then not report back on how it went? Or have you been locked in a cellar as someone's sex slave???
  • Options
    How long should we wait before reporting a missing person?
  • Options

He's probably handcuffed to a bedstead somewhere in Fife...

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Fife-ty Shades of Grey?

SB

• Options

Like buses....
    Wait for ages then 2 come along at once.
    And I dont mean you gossiping plums!
    The date went ok. Just ok. We'll see if it gets better, but she's got some big drama with her ex n her daughter to deal with.
    In the meantime, Ive got chatting to this lovely girl who lives in Dundee, and we should be meeting up again sometime next week, as she's just had an op on her foot. Slim, blonde, 41,lives on her own in a lovely house, and has a penchant for milky white thighs n men who shit in the woods....
    Regarding the running, I seem to be improving. Blowing a hoolie up here yesterday (very windy), so I opted for the peace of the gym. Set the treadmill on hilly, level 2 n the pace at 7.53's, n did a half no problem, then 20 minutes on the bike, then watched Scott Brown kick Neymar.

Stoker, who someday soon hopes to be handcuffed to a bed!

• Options

Hi guys I wanted some advice on how to get 3.45 but now am slightly concerned about the bed-handcuffing conversation going on! Especially because you are NEVER going to run 3.45 while handcuffed to a bed.

Anyhow here goes: I have a background in being active, I have dabbled on and off in runnning in the past but nothing serious. I have started training with some regularity exactly one year ago and have just ran my 3rd marathon (the first one without a disaster in a form or other) in 3.52.49. Not a challenging course but it felt like I was just jogging it until the last 3km when I got a little tired. Pace was quite consistent and I faded about 4 minutes between the first half and the second.

I would like to run 3.45 or nearby in a spring marathon and get my GFA (sub 3.50 for my age, if things do not change).

I do not do any speed work and run 4 times a week, the way it works for me is to run relatively long in these 4 days and I aim to run at least 80km every other week. I do really long runs because I like them. I run up to marathon distance on my own, very slowly (6.30 min/km).

In short, I would like to hang out with you guys!

(And, ah, I have also run a mini 50km ultra and aiming to attempt the wall ultramarathon  this summer)

• Options

Hey Babs.
    I hope this thread gets going again. When I was training for my first marathons in 2007, n 2008, it was a huge help, as there were maybe10-15 regular posters who kept it moving every single day. This last year its died off, so maybe there is a rival thread that the traffic has gone to. I targeted 3.45, and ended up running maybe 23 miles of it with a lady off here. She did 3.40 and I came in bang on 3.43. It was a perfect run on a perfect day in London 2008 for my first ever marathon. My training was very unscientific. I ran 3 times a week. Did a 10 miler Wednesday, a 10 miler Friday, then my long run Sunday. Did 7 runs of 20 miles or over in the run up to the race. By then I was flying, and these were between 8.15 n 8.40 pace. My 10 milers just naturally got ever faster, with the quickest being 7.10 pace, but normally 7.25ish. 4 days rest a week, meant I enjoyed every run and was fresh for every run. Change the number in the address for this page, n it will take you back. Keep readjusting it until maybe Winter-Spring 2007-2008 to find the best time on here n read the posts. A few of us keep popping in here, but we're no experts. It was more an online social club that helped keep us motivated. And it worked.

The km thing bamboozles me, but it appears that youve just about cracked it. Ive only done 3 marathons. A perfect 3.43 in 2008. A food poisoning affected 4.24 in 2009, and a zombie finishing 4.05 in 2010.

Good luck with everything anyway Babs.

ps no word yet on the cuffs, but yesterdays date went unbelievably well, and although she should be WAY out of my league, she thinks Im a definite keeper!!

Stonker

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, Babs. as Stoker says, we're a couple of stalwarts keeping this thread alive and to have new blood for next spring's marathons is most welcome.

I came on here years ago after a a 3.47 at FLM06. I was an outcast for a while as Stoker would tell me I was an interloper and not worthy of the sub 3.45 thread. I introduced speedwork and achieved a 3.25 at FLM09.

That campaign highlighted various injury woes which ended up with me having a lump of bone shaved off my hip joint. I did the Paris Marathon back in April and got another PB of 3.23. being a 46 year old codger, that time gave me a Boston qualifier but I won't be using it (apart from bragging rights) and have Brighton lined up next April.

I was burdened with injury woes again this year. I did well to PB in Paris but should have gone sub 3.20. Stupidly over-trained and did nasty things to my achiles and calf. However, it taught me loads and I have a cunning plan to beat 3.20 in Brighton.

Unfortunately Babs, speedwork and hill work are the only ways to get you below 3.45. It should be easy for you as you run more than I do. I plan on doing 3 road runs per week (LSR, Intervals and tempo) with an optional 5k session on the treadmill down the gym where I also do lots of core strength.

Stay tuned, we'll have a blast on here!! image

SB

• Options

Hey I am also old and my 3.52 marathon is also a Boston qualifying time... let us have a chorus of bragging then image (however I am seriously considering travelling to Boston in 2015...).

Thank you Little Stoker, I am going to read back to 2008 on the thread! And good luck with the dating.

Sporty Badger - I agree that hills and speedwork are the way to get faster, but I am concerned I may not be 'there' just yet.

With relatively high mileage (I have averaged 45 miles per week this summer, including the low-mileage tapering weeks) I have had (fingers crossed and everything crossed, touch wood, etc. etc.) ZERO injuries! (and it is interesting that in your account Sporty badger injuries come after you introduce speedwork...)

I would really like to have behind me a year of consistent 50 miles per week before I start introducing faster miles and reps. Do not know if it makes sense to you guys.

You see, I can do 8.30 miles during the race easily, it is to keep there after the 24 mile mark that becomes a challenge so my thinking is that I need to improve my endurance and stamina before I practice getting quicker or I shall start the marathon at suicide pace and then blow up!

In short, as I have read somewhere on here, speedwork is the icing on the cake, but my cake ain't baked fully yet.

So go on guys, slaughter me. image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

You're right in that speedwork can cause problems but there have been occassions when I got it right and hit decent PBs, especially when I did my 1.30 half marathon. The reason I got injured this year was stupidly running in the snow for 20 miles in off-road shoes. Sometimes enthusiasm gets the better of me. Still, lessons learned, I still hit a PB and I will be mixing it up and doing LESS running in preparation for Brighton.

Currently I'm running 3 times per week. Your average per week is what I have averaged per month since April. I will hit 60 miles for October and 70-80 through November as I get my longer runs up to 10 miles. Yesterday I did 6 miles with 378ft of it uphill. I have done that run for the last 3 weeks and can already feel the benefit of the extra strength. Tomorrow will be an interval session on a 5 mile flat circuit with 1 mile w/up - 10 x 45 sec bursts with 90 sec recoveries - whatever distance left will be w/down.

Next week I'll up that to one minute bursts and over the coming weeks build up to mile reps with 2 or 3 min recoveries. I see these intense sessions as training for the final 10k of a marathon but it does also allow me to have a quicker yet  'comfy' race pace. That's how I got from 3.47 to 3.23, the only difference this year is to not be so intense about it, be smarter and train injury free.

I should also state that I don't just dive into speed sessions like the one above. For the past few weeks I've been doing casual fartlek sessions and the occassional tempo run.maybe you could build these into your runs? You want sub 3.45 so how about running the last couple/few miles of a run at 8.35 pace? That's not big speed for you from what've said above and it does take out the sudden impact element of diving into sprint sessions?

If I hit the qualifyer in Brighton, I'll see you on the plane to Boston 2015. image image

SB

• Options

Hi everyone image

Stoker - glad the dating is going well. It's those milky whites that does it I bet image

Sporty - nice 5k there, but I can't believe it's your first ever! Do you have a parkrun anywhere near you? Great to use those every now and again for a tempo run.

Barbara - welcome! I know what you say about wanting to get the miles in, but I would seriously re-consider the speedwork thing. Yes, you do need to be careful to avoid injuries - so start very gradually. I'm like Sporty - I do one interval session and a tempo or threshold run every week, but I also run 5-6 days in the week so can fit it all in. For you if you are running 4 times a week I would just use one of those for speed work - alternating weeks doing intervals and then tempo.  Or even doing one of the sessions once a fortnight would help.

For intervals I prefer longer reps for marathon training, so try something like 3 or 4 times 1km at (say) 4.30 minutes per km, with very slow jog recoveries (about 2 minutes) in between.  Over the weeks you can add a couple more fast reps to the mix. 

Then for a tempo session try 2 or 3 reps of 10 minutes at around 5 minutes per km, again with some jog recovery in between.  Again over time you can build this up.

I don't think it sounds as though endurance can be the problem, if you can run up to marathon distance in training, because you'd be on your feet a long time for that. Honestly, speed work will help image

If it helps I've done 6 marathons - the first one I will gloss over because it was horrid, but after that I ran 3.47 in 2009, with pretty much no speed work), then 3.33, 3.24, 3.29 (hilly) and then this year ran 3.16 in London. With each one I have concentrated more on the quality/speed sessions, so that now my natural marathon pace is that much quicker. And I am also old (45) image