A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• stoker - that is a brilliant result, really well done imageimageimage

• Top running LS.

Just an 8.1 mile tempo run tonight.  A couple of 9 min miles, 5 at +-7:45 then a mile and a bit warm down.  On a bit of a mini-taper ahead of Sunday's HM, and didn't want a long run & 5-a-side double header yesterday.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice going Jack. You'll fly around that HM on Sunday.

Went for a 5 mile run with a colleague at lunch today, he wanted a tempo type session and I wanted something a bit easier as I have a proper speed session tomorrow with another colleague.
    Knocked out 5 miles at 7.30 pace. Threw in some fartlek elements and found it dead easy. Average HR was 145 but my colleague thanked me for his beasting and his average HR of 167.

It was the first time for ages I felt proper bouncy. maybe seeing the other bloke blowing out of his jaxy made me feel good about myself as I chatted away as if on a recovery run?! image

Woking v Dartford tonight. Conference Premier relegation 6 pointer

SB

• Cheers folks. Much appreciated.

I remember on Sunday in the old hall just before going out to the start line feeling like you described Badge. Proper bouncy. I was actually doing jumps as I chatted to my mates. The feet felt proper light too. Not a feeling Ive had too often. The "slowest" mate is now less than a minute from sub 1.40, while the other has smashed it. We finished 62nd, 65th n 99th out of 270 runners. They no longer feel like mid pack joggers.

Stokey.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

We won 3-0!!! image

Just looked at the results, Stoker. Always good to be on page 2 of the results sheets. My PB would be still only be in 35th position. even for a smaller event there are some fine runners and many older than me. I find it both inspiring and depressing in equal measure.

SB

• www.tspc.co.uk

Click on Brechin.
    Offers around £175,000.
    Glenavon 19 Eastbank.
    Shitter hardly used.
    Bargain.

Quick sale so I can buy a lovepad.

Stonking.

• I remember when the google earth car went down your street LS!

just over five easy miles tonight, plan is just to get a routine going till Christmas then start the plan.

my race calendar is 

27th Conway Half Marathon

8th Dec Stockport ten

26th Round the walls 

19th Jan Four villages half marathon.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice set of races there Puffster. Any targets or ambitions?

Locked the computer then me and a colleague got changed at the office and headed out for a cheeky 8 miler. Felt so bouncy. We chatted all the way on the hilly course without looking at the clock. Turns out it was a very easy c feeling 7.33 pace. Really pleased. That's two great feeling runs in 3 days. Well happy with that.

SB
  • Well my ambition is 3:30 at london next year, how about you? Conway will be et round in one piece, but I'd like to be in the mid one-thirties for Four Villages.

We will see. It's easy to joke about all the things on the thread over the years, but all the lunchtime sessions you have described have stayed in my memory; I will be doing some Friday sessions and we have an unused floor in the office so Ican do some core work too. 

Club night tonight, effort session, felt a bit heavy after last night but finished well. 

• Hi Mr P - great to see you on here again.  It will be brilliant to get your sub 3.30 after some near misses, so I hope the training goes well.  And nice to get a stack of races in the bag too image

Sporty - I love those runs...have had a couple myself this week, just setting out to run by feel and suddenly I am feeling easy at 7.30 pace and feel like I could go on for ever!

I'm gearing up for the start of the VLM schedule too - have had a couple of not-so-great HMs recently (slower than I went through half way in London this year and feeling much much worse!), but they were done untapered and on fairly tired legs. Also my training over the summer was a bit sketchy for one reason or another, and things have improved in the last few weeks.  Sub 3.15 pace seems a long way away but I'm going to give it a go and you never know!  I'm not going to get many more chances for that sort of time so if I don't give it my all I'll regret it.

That said, it's intervals for me later today...6 x 1km at something a little quicker than 10k race pace.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good to see the thread ticking over again.

Nice going there Freemers. I want to train for sub 3.15 with the intention of doing sub 3.20 in Brighton. My 12.6 miler at the weekend was so easy in difficult conditions, so I know I'm slightly ahead of my training schedule, so I'm having a lower mileage week this week.

I'm doing the Surrey HM in March. All being well I'll have some good speedwork in my legs and I'll be able to beat my 1.30 PB. Just 25 secs to shave off for a 1.29 image

SB

• Are you all trying to embarass me to get even lower than 1.36?!??

In tesco yesterday I skimmed thro a few pages of Ronnie O Sullivans book called Running. From a lazy snooker player, he's become a helluva runner, I think getting his 10k time down to under 6 minute miling. Makes you realise what we are all capable of if we really put in the effort and training. Like Freemers said, maybe if we dont really go for the best we can do now, we might regret the missed opportunity when we are older.

Did I mention that I now have a very regular sexlife with someone who actually looks forward to it as well!!?!??

Anyone else glued to the Portrait Artist proramme on Sky Arts? When I win the lottery, I will just run and paint then do gardening all Summer. Drinking Guinness and red wine in the Winter months and ice cold Buds in the Summer outdoors.

Do any of you pronounce which and witch differently? On their own maybe, but I cant believe in a sentence the h is pronounced!? Small jokey argument with leggy blonde last night.

Stoker.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Only sycophantic tossbags like BBC royal correspondents and arty types of the Brian Sewell ilk sound the H in ‘which’. image

Glad to hear you’re getting some horizontal cross-training, Stoker. It’s vitally important to any running campaign. Make sure she knows that too and you log the activity on Fetcheveryone.com.

In fact, use a stopwatch and go for a personal best every few weeks. Inform the lass you’re on a tempo session and that she should see you rteally going for it at race pace! image Better still, confuse her with intervals or even a fartlek session. You'll be marriage material before you know it!

I knew Ronnie was also a runner and he has some impressive times. Alas we have to do the  9 to 5 and don’t have the luxury of big blocks of free hours during the day like many sports and entertainment stars. Does that make our efforts all the more impressive?

Football club quiz tonight. Looks like I’ll be hammered on real ale by 11pm.

Having got a good run out of the way last night I have a rest day tomorrow. House potter in the morning followed by the big one of Woking v Hyde at 3pm.

Sunday will be a tempo 5 miler on the way home from the little lad’s football match. I did this run at the same fixture last November so it will be good to see if I'm better now than then. It's virtually a straight line from the pitch to home. Point to point running is so much more enjoyable than a loop.

SB

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

A quick note: 4 miles at 6.40 pace tonight just before dinner. Happy with that, especially as it seems it is possible to get quicker with only 3 runs per week.

SB

• I managed 3:33 on three runs a week, it does work! How did Woking get on?  I know what you mean about running a to b SB it just feels like you've got somewhere I think. I run back from the garage when I have one of the cars in, and sometimes I go to the station with Mrs P on a Saturday morning, there's a choice of routes between 12 and 22 miles then.

Hello Freemers, I hope I can keep up!

I went out for my run yesterday and got  a bit carried away. I set out mid afternoon to do 12 miles but a couple of miles in decided to go along part of the Four Villages course, and take in a long hill in prep for next week, the Conway half has a long hard two mile climb. So I did, but it took me a bit further than planned, when I got back, I realised it was bang on 13.1 miles, so a new training route is born!

Stoker, what about a nice long plank??

• Its more like a thick totem pole, but thanks for asking..
    Do I stay perfectly still then start shaking after a minute??
    Did bugger all running last week, so went to the gym tonight. The new beloved is a fitness freak, so I need to keep in shape. Did 14 hilly miles on the treadmill at 7.47 pace, n it was a doddle. Nothing to train for, other than keeping the rest of this body as close as is possible to the perfection of my milky McWhite's.
    Was thinking tonight that my new half pb probably makes the full mara pb relatively slow, being 70 seconds a mile slower. Im sure 8 min miling should be a target should I ever get the full mara bug again.

Good to see some movement on here again.
    Mr Dogfish did Clova in about 1.41, coming back from injury I think.

Stoker.

• TOTP, Totem pole, you're properly back mate. Can you manage a minute?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Take the new bird off to Paris, Stoker and do the marathon there, it's one hell of an experience for all sorts of reasons. Entries are open now. You should easily be able to get that full mara PB down based on how easy you knock out the HM times now.

It will be a nice break away for you both and being fitness freaks you can plank the hell out of eachother at the hotel.

I was planking just last night. Showed some improvement too. Did a core strength session at the gym and impressed the locals with some mean straight planking but knocked 'em bandy when I did side planks with top leg scissor lift. Have some of that!

Still, hasn't managed to cure my right leg nerve issues, so it's back to the physio tomorrow night. image Old man sciatica is getting the better of me.

SB

• Glad old Euphoria is no longer a poster on here, as he'd be bummimg up Hull for tomorrows decision on the UK City of Culture 2017. The finalists are Hull, Leicester, Swansea, and the most beautiful city on Gods planet, and I know a personal favourite of the Puff Daddy, Dundee.
    I'm going over to hers in 20 minutes for an intense planking session.
    Really want to keep the current fitness levels up. 659 miles so far for the year. Not exactly the 1240 I did in 2008 when I was a marathon virgin, but should be 750ish by year end. Funny in the gym how many people come n go in the 1.48ish it took to do the 14 miles last night. Only 3 treadmills, so I saw quite a few off who gave the impression they felt confident they could see off the sweaty Chris Hoy /Old Man of Hoy impersonator.

LS

• Well that went well didn't it? Don't give me any lottery numbers!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Only culture to be found in Dundee is in a natural yoghurt, apparently.

Hull City is the only football team in all English divisions that you can't colour in the letters. The city deserves the award for that fact alone.

SB 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Funny old game this running lark. Felt rubbish on Tuesday's intervals but was still able to put in a solid session. Today I did a 7.25 miler and run just on feel to see where it got me. Gradually got into it, attacked each incline and never once checled the watch. Surprised to see the average pace at 6.57.

Maybe I was buoyed by physio getting stuck into the centre of my back last night as he sorted out the nerve issues that have been giving me weird arm pains recently.Can definitely feel the difference, including the sensitive area that remains after he tried to push my vertebrae out of my body via the chest!

SB

• Hmmm, I lived in Hull for 6 months in 2010. Had some fun there, but it's not unfair to call the place a sh*thole.

LS - good work on the core strength stuff, I really ought to start doing more (some) of that.

SB - that's quick! Physio sounds fun too...

Cold and breezy run for me tonight. I fancied a decent workout tonight after eating too much when out for dinner last night. Did a couple of 9 min miles to warm up, then 7 at somewhere around 7:50 min/mi, then a gentle jog home, averaging 8:14 over 10.1 miles. I'm really, really enjoying my running at the moment.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wicked skills, Jack. It's all about the enjoyment. Enjoy the actual run and the enjoy the afterglow of achievement.

Did a core strength session at the gym tonight. Planking is looking good and the situps are many and controlled. I'll be ripped as a washboard come the start gun in Brighton............ok...maybe not...

SB
  • Evening all!

Thought I'd pop my head in to see if the old boozer has any drunkards sitting at our favouriite table in the corner.

There is some serious running going on.  I'm impressed and its all making me feel quite nostalgic.  This morning my my missus was singing in our local market square with her jolly choir buddies to start off and cheer home a 5k charity race.  I was there to cheer her on as she's only just joined this choir.  But as I watched the runners arriving and limbering up it did make me feel like I need to kick my lardy day arse into gear.  Did a slow 4 miles tonight.  Didn't even time it.  I need to get out a few times and just enjoy it.  Then hopefully something will click and I'll want to get back into a proper schedule.

welcome bomber, you have certainly found a great little forum to help you reach your sub3.45 target.  I never made it, but that wasn't down to a lack of support and help from this crowd.

LS, nice to hear you so chipper.  amazing what difference a few months (& a new woman!) can make.

and for the record, witch and which sound identical when I say them!!!

• Hello Mara, Hello Chopper.

Did my first half for a long time today, very pleased with 1:42 on a difficult course, great day. Started nice and easy and finished like a train, just like Stoker on the job image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Get in the groove before Christmas, Mara. That way the extra calories won't pile on so heavy. Good to see you back in the old boozer.

Nice going on the HM, Puffster. looks like you posted a decent time without really trying.

Cheeky little track session for me at lunchtime today. 1 mile w/up with hard efforts of 400m, 1 mile, 1 mile and a final 400m with 400m recoveries which included some walking to ensure heart rate went low before the next repeat. Best reps were a 400m in 1.23 and a a 6.20 mile rep which wasn't bad as the north easterly headwind down on side of the track was testing.

Jogged 1 mile back to the office to complete a 6 mile overall session which averaged 7.30. My pal and I certainly put the effort in today.

Marathon training starts in 2 weeks.

SB

• Evening Mara, Puffy. Good to see a few people knocking about on here.

Good going SB. Which spring marathon are you in for and what sort of time are you chasing? I had a quick look back through a few pages of this but couldn't see it.

Back on the wagon for me today after a shocking weekend. Was on the piss in London all weekend, didn't eat from Friday eve til Sunday and then are crap on Sunday and Monday because I felt rough, but that made me feel guilty and generally a bit shitty as well. Back to healthy eating and staying away from the booze til at least Xmas now, although I'm hoping I can just avoid it til after the marathon.

Anyway, I decided to punish myself tonight after the weekend's antics, so thought I'd go after a 10k PB as it's been ages since I've pushed myself at that distance. I ran a 45:18 which is a PB by about a minute. As I get closer to 7 minute miling, it definitely feels more like running than jogging.

I feel I need to focus harder on weight loss through the next few months. I'm happy with how my times are improving, but I'm sure it'd be much easier if I was lighter. I'm better built for rugby than running and lugging 14 stone around all those miles can't be good for the joints in the long term.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the 10k Jack. My weight is currently 13st 9lbs. I've lost 4lbs in the last month as my mileage increases.

I'm doing the Brighton marathon in April. I did 3.23 in Paris this year but was injured. I should have been sub 3.20 so I have a good target to aim for. My strategy is to train smarter not harder after learning loads during my Paris campaign experience.

I also have a major piss up in London this weekend so will be doing all my running midweek. Spinning session tonight with a bonus core session in the gym before. Six hilly miles Wednesday and a slow 10 miler Thursday night.

SB