Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options

Yeah, great 10k Chopper. Im sure if you lay off the hob knobs n keep up the running, then the weight will pish off. I think without considering the weights in my hands last night, it reckoned Id burned about 1500 calories.
    Rimmer!! Great to have you back. Yeah, time you did wobble off the sofa n gradually build up the mileage. two runs of 4 or 5 miles will soon become 6's or 7's then the pace will increase. I only did 2 runs a week for my recent half, and never ran a yard the first 2 weeks of October coz I was busy "doing core strength work", but still smashed the pb. The legs remember, and your graph of improvement will be rapid.
    Badger. Over 14 stone at one point?
    Were you on that Obese programme, A Year To Save My Life?
    Im sure one of them was in Woking...
    Puffo. The Flying Scotsman has never rattled through so many tunnels, smoke billowing from the hard working engines. You even get a few toots when it hits full speed.... I tried a planky thing just 10 minutes ago and managed 1 min 30.
    Went to the gym last night n did 10 flat miles on the treadmill, at 8 min mile pace. Was carrying those old sandbaggy velcro strapped ankle/wrist weight things to give a different workout. 2.5lbs each.
    Dug 20 years of diaries from the cellar up in the family home, so about to read what the 24yo me was moaning about back then!

Stokey.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Oh dear. Don't have any wine reading those diaries, Stoker, could be a blub fest.

I'm 6ft 1in. I was 14st exactly back in early September so quit anything in a pastry jacket. I was 13st 3lbs on the start line in Paris in April. It's so fugging unfair how we work so hard to be in the top 10% of marathon finishers yet as soon as we stop, nature kicks us in the cobblers with massive weight gain despite not eating sh!te that would have Gillian McKeith passing out and falling into a tupperware box of turds.

Did the 6 hilly miles with the 400ft of uphill at lunchtime. Despite a killer core session followed by a spinning class as if going up Alpe D'Huez last night I felt really strong today and averaged 7.22 with my pal as we chatted most of the way, albeit working hard on the uphill stretches.

13st 9lb today and getting lighter. I've been getting over some bad back trouble since May that has seen me with pinched nerves causing numbness and wekness in the forearms and right leg. Physio has been a genius and he showed me the magic of the tennis ball massage which has really helped. I'm ready to start the Brighton campaign now. I feel like a wisened old sage and reasy to apply lessons learned to the next 26.2 obstacle. Bring it on!

Let's be fugging 'aving you!!

SB (Grrr!)

• Options
    Sounds like a familiar story. I'm also 6ft 1in, and naturally a fat bastard. If I stop exercising regularly and eating well, some bastard goes around in the night tightening my clothes. I'm a lot lighter than I was a couple of years ago, laying off those hob nobs and running or hitting the gym 3 times a week worked wonders, but I've hit 14 stone and can't seem to shift any more.

When I was losing the weight I was hardly touching carbs, but that's out of the question with the training I'm doing. I'm hoping as the marathon training increases over the next few weeks it'll all start to fall off again. I think 13 stone is achievable in time for April 13th.

3.4 mile easy last night. Tight right calf and achilles after pushing it on Tuesday. Trying to get used to running nearly every night, so I'll be out again later.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hey, Stoker! Got BT Sport?

I'm on the Danny Baker show tomorrow.

SB

• Options

Why?
    Fat Bastards Can Run.
    And here's our first guest from Woking.......
    Dont have it. Can you get the missus to tape it on a mobile phone n stick it on youtube then post the link on here?? I think you posted a lardy picture a good few years ago, so I might recognize your bloated kisser.
    If I was you Chopper, I'd run fewer days, but do better shifts without the aches on rested legs. Again, Ive only ever run 3 days a week at most for my marathon training. An unscientific Wed 10 miler, Fri 10 miler, then 20+ on a Sunday. Felt fresh as a daisy on all 3.

5 foot 11 inch 13 stone Stonker.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I don't have BT Sport either. I responded to a tweet from Danny Baker for people to send in impressions of old school celebs reading football scores. Being the office jerk, I thought I'd give it a go. They asked for my picture yesterday, so I assume I've made the cut. Won't see it though.

Did my longer run last night due to the beer up tomorrow. Got home from work and did 10 miles. Couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. Was supposed to be a slow run but ended up doing 7.24 pace. It was very erratic pace wise and in the end couldn't get it over quick enough. Nice to feel very strong though.

Time to talk turkey with my agent

SB (media whore)

• Options
    Didn't run last night in the end so ran after work. 7.2 miles in just over an hour. Felt really easy fitness-wise but was a pretty rough run. The niggle in my lower right calf/achilles started to throb a little bit, I've got an annoying blister under my left big toe, and I've got a sore throat and what feels like the start of a cold. Bloody falling apart!

Have a good session on the beer SB

LS - I'll give that some thought. But it's ok for you skinny bastards to only run 3 times a week, I've got to try to burn off what I eat within seconds of eating it if I want to try to get down to marathon weight!
  • Options
    Me at 13 stone for 5" 11", and Badger, like Andre the Giant, being referred to as skinny bastards. Surely a sign the world's bloating up. You keep giving the aches n blisters a break Chop, and your runs will all be good uns, and the fitness will rocket. And you too could be a skinny fat bastard like us affleets.

Stokey
  • Options
    Yep, I'll never be a skinny skinny bastard so skinny fat bastard is the goal.

Giving it a rest til the leg is better, and I've announced my 5-a-side career is on hold until after the Marathon., and yeah I'm going to cover more miles in fewer runs when I'm fit again.
  • Options

10 miles tonight. Did 7 at 8 m/m pace holding my sandbags, then 3 without at 8.30 pace to get me my 10. My old man is getting the side bit of the garden turned into a big drive, so it was me who had to level 12 tonne of hardcore across the area at the weekend, so maybe thats where all my energy went. Me n the new beloved are no more. She was/is lovely, but just couldnt handle the impact being a Dad to 3 kids 30 miles away has on her having me available to her. If that makes sense. So we knocked things on the head mutually last night. saw the latest Thor flick at the pictures at the weekend with the wee fella. What a lot of old Shee-Hite. Hurry up Anchorman 2!
    Yep Chop, Id much rather do one 10 miler and have a day off than two 5 milers, and all the hassle two runs involves, plus less rest. Plus, you are running 10 miles!

LS

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your "cross trainer" Stoker. It all sounds very amicable. She sounded really nice too. Will you keep in touch or is there another beauty out there who will witness those magnificent thighs in all their glory?

Had a tempo session at lunchtime and knocked out a 10k at 6.50 pace on a course that had plenty of incline and not a lot of reward given on the descents. Quite pleased with the time, it's a 10k PB as I've only ever raced a couple. Add to that the tough 6 mile hill session on Monday and a beast of a spinning class last night and it's a good few days overall.

Today seems to show my hills and track sessions are starting to pay off.

A casual 10 miler at the weekend before the Brighton campaign begins on Monday.

SB

• Options

LS - sorry to hear about that.  Agreed on Anchorman 2, and I'm going to make a point of going to see The Hunger Games sequel, I only saw the first one the other day and thought it was good.  I rarely go to the cinema as it's a rip off, and because I'm sinlge and cinema isn't a good date option.

That's a cracking 10k SB, great work.  

I'm going insane not being able to run.  My last was on Friday but it feels much longer than that.  My achilles is still giving me grief and there's no way I can run on it.  I think I'll give it til the weekend then try to get it looked at if it's no better.  Shite timing a week before I'm meant to be starting my marathon programme.  I'm probably being paranoid but I worry my fitness is taking a nose dive where I've done nothing for nearly a week.

• Options

Nah, Chop. Your body will be lapping up the rest, and so long as you stay off the kebabs n fritters, you'll be fine. The gym freak [who may still be my cross trainer, as negotiations are ongoing!!] had an op on her foot 9 weeks ago, and is still hobbling about, but is still 5 '8" and 9 stone, and rattles off planking n press ups n tricep dips all at home to stay fit. Ive always believed that the legs have a great memory, and so what if you have another couple of weeks off? Remember I smashed my Half pb on the 9th of November, when in the first 2 weeks of October I never ran a yard, but did plenty 'cross training'.... Better restart it fresh n healthy than soldier on n make the injury worse.
    Badger the Giant. After you fought David Haye in Russia a few years ago, was that you at your physical peak?
    Off to Dingwall tomorrow, the hometown of Ross County. Its North of Inverness!?
    Then Keith n then Huntly. Proper Scotland where men are men n wimmin are appreciative................and ginger!

LS

• Options
    I'm not the kebab kind of guy! I always eat pretty healthily so no problem there. Cheers for that, makes me feel a bit better about not running.

That is a long way north Stoker, I lived in Peterhead for 3 months at the start of the year so kind of know where all of those places are. My first week there I was in a b&b out towards Macduff, little place called New Aberdour. I've never been somewhere more remote, the village didn't even have a pub! Beautiful part of the world, even when it was knee deep in snow. I won't be going again in a hurry though, was a 600+ mile and 13 hour drive from Southampton.
  • Options
    Saw the doctor today as I was there anyway to get antibiotics for an ear infection. He reckons I've got a bit of a tear where the calf muscles join the achilles. I asked him how long I should rest it, he basically said I should get Xmas out of the way and ease back in slowly, and that swimming & cycling would be a much better idea than running for a while. I'm gutted, that's a big setback. Swimming is the new running then.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Bad luck with the injury, Jack. My Paris injury was achilles/calf related. Get to know the two calf stretches very well, gastroc and soleus. You can find details on an internet near you. Good luck.

I have the onset of man-flu. had the sore throat yesterday so ditched my lunchtime run and went to the gym last night instead. Thought I'd do an easy 4 miler on the treadmill. before I knew it, I had that band spinning round at a pace that would have given me 7.00min/miles, so I relaxed into it and carried on.

Unfortunately I'd miscalculated my km to miles conversion and ended up doing 4.1 miles within the 28 mins window I'd given myself. Did 27.32 which meant I averaged 6.43 pace.

The man-flu is taking a grip today. I have a voice deeper than Barry White. Extremely annoying as this is supposed to be first week proper of the Brighton campaign. Looks like I may be using the sick week allowance in my plan on week 1.

SB

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

***Double post...weird!

• Options
    How's everyone doing? 18 days since my last run and I think I'm going mad! There's no pain from walking about any more but I know the injury is still there and I definitely can't run on it yet. I've been doing a fair bit on the bike & cross trainer but think I may have to stop that as well til I'm better, I worry that it's prolonging the healing process. But then if I don't, my fitness will go downhill. I'm also thinking I should go and see someone who knows their stuff with sporting injuries for some advice. This is definitely a lesson in the psychological side of injury!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A cheeky 10 miler for me tonight at 7.24 pace. Just ran on feel. Couldn't bear the thought of taking it slow on a cold, damp, dark, Tuesday night so ran it at various paces depending on how I felt.

Swimming will help with the CV fitness, Jack. Seeing a physio sooner than later will be beneficial too.

SB
  • Options

Played a mate pool on Hogmanay, n when I potted a peach, he, who was blootered already, decided to pick me up from behind in an ever squeezing bear hug, n I think the daft fcuker has broken one of my ribs!

Playing pool ?@#!£$%&

ps Happy New Year to you all.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I keep taking the piss out of my mate who managed to fracture a metatarsal in a crochet incident. He was helping his son with his needlework homework ( image ) while sitting on the sofa and had his leg tucked under himself. Getting off the sofa he had lost feeling in hit leg, stumbled and fractured his foot! Pillock!!

Difficult running over Christmas but did manage a 4 at 6.39 pace on sunday,  13.1 at 8.03 pace on Monday and a 7 today a steady 7.17. it's getting there.

SB (Happy New Year and all that!)

• Options
    Happy New Year all. I managed to run twice in December. One was a very cautious mile on the treadmill before deciding it didn't feel right. I managed a 5k on the treadmill at the weekend, but I could still feel that the injury is still there. I'm seeing a physio on Saturday morning.

Hopefully will be up and running soon but it's obviously been a massive setback. I guess I'll enter an autumn marathon to have a crack at a good time.
  • Options
    Finally back in the game. 10k on the treadmill on Friday and Monday, then 5.5 miles out in the wind and rain this afternoon. Should be my last trip to the physio tomorrow. 12 weeks and 4 days until the marathon. The injury has been a massive setback but with any luck I can still put in a decent amount of training.
  • Options
  • Options

Bit like sub-4 but hoping to get my sub 3 hour and 10 minute time down to a sub 7 minute mile average marathon in mid June. Say a marathon time in between 3 hours and 3 hours and 5 minutes.

I ran the sub 3 hour and 10 minute in Oct 13' marathon off only 15 to 20 miles per week over a 20 week period that included two other marathons in sub 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Starting from  March I will be looking at running 30 miles per week and aiming to fit in a few 20 mile runs leading to the June Marathon. After that I will be running two more marathons one late August and three weeks later another marathon.

Using two marathon as 20 mile+ training runs for another marathon sounds like a great strategy towards running a sub 3 hour marathon in 2014.

• Options

Paid my £53.65 and have entered Octobers Glencoe Marathon.

http://glencoemarathon.co.uk/

Badger, plenty time to sign up n be a real man.
    There are marathons.
    Hard marathons.
    Then this backpack carrying mountain goat marathon.

Roll on Hell.

Stoker

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good work, Stoker. Doing an autumn marathan will mean long summer runs in the heat. No ta!

Brighton marathon training is a mixed bag at the moment. Have had a sore throat and cold symptoms of varying degrees since the start of january. Running in hurricane and monsoon conditions can't help.

Have done LSRs of 15, 18, 16, 20, 15 over the past few weeks, all at around 8,14 pace and they all felt dead easy.

Have concentrated on hilly runs around the office to build leg strength as well as speed. Did a 7 miler at 6.55 pace on Monday which had over 400ft of uphill running. Did a spinning class after a core strength session at the gym on Tuesday and yesterday went out for a flat 8 miler in horrendous conditions but still managed 6.57 pace.

Two days of rest now before another 20 mile plod on Saturday. Smart training is the new black!

SB

• Options

10 miles tonight on the treadmill at 7.54's with the last mile at 6.53's.Then a row. Thats a Steve Redgrave row, not a wife row.
    Love life back on track.
    400 ft of climbing? So 130 metres? Glencoe is over 1600 metres of incline!
    Badger you are the alternative name for a kitten.
    Do you carry luggage in the spirit level Brighton Marathon?Is there a section opposite the nuddy beach called The Devils Staircase?!
    Is the course record 3.44???

Stokesy

• Options
    Evening chaps.

LS - that looks brutal. Good work!

SB - good running (for a pussy)

I can only dream of times like that for LSRs, progress is good though and no sign of the calf tear. My LSR last weekend was 17 miles @ 8:45, then this Sunday I did 16 miles with 9 @ 8 min/mi.

I haven't quite been getting in the mileage I want due to working nights and loads of overtime, and moving house, but I'm really up for the marathon anyway.

I'm eyeing up an autumn marathon too, to keep me in training and saving loads of money over the summer - http://www.clarendon-marathon.co.uk
  • Options

Sounds peachy to me Chopper.
    Yep, I certainly needed to get the wallet out to give me something to target this year other than the usual 3 halfs.
    Yesterday I left Braemar and not a flake of snow. 5 miles later just before the Glenshee Ski Centre, my foots hard on the floor in 2nd gear struggling to keep 20mph, then I stopped in a mini blizzard. Had to make a huge detour as the snowgates got shut.£$%&*!@?#?!
    Went to the gym tonight n did 12 sweaty miles, with the last 2 getting ever faster peaking at 6.39 pace. Heart rate of 170 at the end according to the treadmill. Got a daft wee app on my phone that measures my heart rate. Lowest resting rate so far is 47. I'm pretty sure when I helped with some heart research at Ninewells Hospital a few years ago, the sassy nurse was very impressed as it was 43 back then.
    Never really understood all that heart zone training malarkey, and never worn a heart rate monitor. Just happy that its relatively low and seemingly health...uuurghh...heeelllppp...mmeee... uuurrrghhh...gurgle...thud.

LS