A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

1986987988989990992»

Comments

• Glen Clova Half Marathon, limited to 350 entries, sold out inside half an hour last night.
    Badger, another year that you've bottled it, instead sticking with the undulating snooker table that is Woking.
    DFC remain undefeated this season, and after beating Man City pre season, we are still champions of Britain..

Stokey.

• Woking are 4th in the Conference Premier and we've all got nose bleeds and altitude sickness.

Radio silence through August while I treated the locals on the Greek island of Kos to a gander at my lilly white skin and the 8th wonder of the world as they observed it's transition through the various shades of blue to white to pink to deep red. I blame my Jocko mother...poxy genes!

Running continues well. Long Hill work and track sessions are all the rage. 400m down to 1.14 and my 800m is now 2.56. Knocked out a 5 miler last week at 6.35 pace.

Ran a 17 miler on Saturday to get some endurance. Chatted with my mate all the way and found it a doddle at 8.05 pace. That included me spraining my ankle on mile 15 and running the final mile at 7.35 pace so I could ice that bad boy before it ballooned into...a balloon.

Haven't run since due to the swelling and bruising but it should be OK by the weekend. I'd planned a cut back week anyway.

If the ankle gets through a 10 miler on Sunday I'll finally enter the Thames River half and have a proper tilt at the sub-90.

SB

• The Thames River Half.Is that a hilly one Badge...?
    Superior genes I'd say.
    See you do things in a structured manner, and always have.
    I've just been throwing on the backpack recently n doing hard hilly muddy runs.
    The gym work has been shelved for now as the backpack currently has me breathing out my arse. 21.7 hilly muddy trail miles with the backpack on on Sunday. Just a couple of lucozade bottles n a bath towel in there.
    Glencoe is in 4 weeks. Should get me deep into zombie territory late in the race. Tell you what though, the six pack has never looked better!
    Hopefully the fitness will carry over to a lightning quick Glen Clova 5 weeks later.

Should move into my new flat by the end of the month. Been shopping for double n single duvets n covers n sheets n pillows n cases n mattresses n tv's n hoovers n irons n boards n cutlery n crockery n pots n fish slices n towels n microwaves n glasses n chopping boards n jars n woks n mirrors n sofas n bath mats n well....just about everything, as I let the wife have everything.

Oh, and I need a car.

But the sex life has perked up!
    And its with an attractive slim 5' 9" blonde female!!

Stoker

• Some fine cross training going on by the sound of it. Also sounds like the Argos catalogue is your best friend right now?

I'm sort of making my training up as I go along at the moment though due to a number of reasons. My ankle swelling has got better and I managed a 10k yesterday lunchtime.

I didn't say in my previous post but my Dad had a massive stroke 3 week's ago and has been in hospital. They discovered an infection on his heart valve, wanted to operate but couldn't as they said he was so weak from the stroke that he wouldn't survive the surgery.

Yesterday after my run I got a call saying he'd gone into heart failure, the docs and nurses flew into action and they had to do the op immediately and take the risk. It was all very dramatic.  He had the valve replaced and a double bypass for good measure while his heart was open to them. He survived it. I saw him last night, half man, half machine and out fo rthe count. He awoke this morning in lots of pain. that's a good sign.

Gotta say that the NHS gets some flak at times but when there's an emergency on, those boys and girls really show that they're world class.

SB

• Steve Austin now Badge.
    Hope Badge Snr continues to perk up.
    My mate is only 41 but had stents? put in his ticker last year. He jokes that now the pipes are clear, he's hitting a golf ball 30 yards further!
    Just in from my run. Same hilly trail without the backpack. A 3.1 mile lap, with one side of the square a 300m climb in elevation. Happy to do 4 laps at 7.42 pace with plenty left in the tank. Wouldve done more, but the sun had gone down, and I didn't want to bump into the Dundee dogging community hiding in the bushes!
    My mileage per year.

2014...............731 so far.
    Some pitiful years, but I should do at least 1200 this year.
    You pointed me to Fetch Badge, didnt you?

Cheers anyway.
    No Thanks to independence Stoker.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Update to the orphan thread. are you out there, Stoker?

Scored a 1.28 HM PB last month.

Managed a 3.13 at Brighton Marathon yesterday. That's a GFA time for London next year as well as Boston.

All achieved by avoiding rancid chicken the night before each race, Stoker!

GD

(oh yeah, changed my name too).

• Don't know if you dumplings get email notifications still, but here goes.Last year was a write off for running. My excuse was sorting my flat n garden out. Only ran the Glen Clova half at the last minute n dawdled round in 2 hours. Done a wee bit more this year. Woke up at 2.45 ? this morning, so went out n did 8.4 miles at 8.16 pace.

Hope you are all well. Noticed when I was searching for this thread that I first posted in 2006, so 10 years have flown by. I still look the same. Thing is I looked 46 10 years ago...

G-Dawg ???

Dundee beat Falkirk in The Cup last night. Dundee United seem doomed to relegation. Woking, what are they up to? 

Time to catch up on work emails while I have this 'bonus' time.

Be good. We are all getting older by the numbers but hopefully have the health and bodies of a 20 year old.

Stoker.

• Oh yeah, very well done Badger on the half and the full pb's. To think at one time, you were ridiculed for not being a 'qualified' member of the sub 3.45 club on here ! And you avoided the temptations of Ally Ballys Deep Fried Food Poisoning in Wembley Park. Highly recommended for a bit of colonic irrigation.

cheers.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good to hear you've got the trainers on again Stokesy boy!

I live on the sub 3.15 thread now, Freemers popped in there today and said you were back online, so I came back to find you.

I got my automatic qualification through for London and am currently in full campaign. Will rack up 170 miles this month. I'm making the most of being a GFA runner and boasting to everyone about it. Enjoy it while it lasts, eh?

I'll pop back in here again and will expect to find your updates and progress.

GD

PS - changed my name to G-Dawg 'cos a lad in the office always called me it due to my first name beginning with a G.

• hello you two, Good to see you doing well, I am on the bench and will miss London for the first time in many years but rehabilitation is progressing and Ive got my eye on a 5k in april.

how's the love life Stoker?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Puffster! This is great.

WE'RE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER! imageimage

GD

• Well I've got the figure for the short fat one.

• Hello all

I  contributed to this thread quite frequently about 10 years ago now (blimey where does the time go) and I managed to scrape 3.45.59 in 2006. I am running London in 3 weeks which is my first marathon in 9 years and I would be very happy to get round in 4.45 this time if I am honest.

18 miles tomorrow will tell me allot I think - anyway the names freemers sporty badger and little stoker ring a bell so I hope you are all well.

I was David M but runners world renamed me David M2 for some reason - maybe lack of activity lol

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hi David!

I check in here every now and then but it's a bit of a ghost ship these days.

I changed my name when I got a fancy GFA for London!

Hope training is going well.
    I recently got a HM PB of 1.27 so I'm hoping the weather is kind in London and I can score well again at the big distance.

GD

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Down to 3.11 now...

GD

• Well done that's awesome!

I had a great time yesterday - finished in 4.54 and enjoyed it more than any of the previous 6 marathons I did.

It helped having no real expectations other than to finish and being very conservative, I had a few bad patches as you do and kept waiting for the moment when it got really awful which actually never materialised.

I couldn't believe how good i felt at 23 miles and really soaked up the atmosphere all around the course.

I may even do another...

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice one DM.

My left hammy denied me a sub-3.10 but a PB is a PB, so I'm happy with that.

That's a GFA for London next year as well as a Boston Qualifier. The wife is keen for a trip to the USA. Yesterday's time looks like it will cost me dear. Fun though! image

GD