Another "what does the panel think" question

For the various distances, when you're racing on top form, how hard are the first few miles...

Obviously.- If you start a marathon at a speed that's hard to maintain, you wont finish:- If you start a 1K nice and easy, you won't get a result.- So how hard/painful is your race pace?

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you've trained for the distance then the first few miles should not feel too hard in any race.

I aim for controlled hard running in the first few miles, raising it but still controlled in the middle, then everything I've got (if anything)for the final couple of miles.

Mind 5k and under feels hard from the first mile!
  • I think the first half should always feel 'too slow' (from 400m racing to marathon racing).

For me the greatest effort in racing is not in pushing the pace upwards, but in holding it down to a realistic level. I'm pretty normal I think - look at FLM splits on their result pages and you'll rarely see a person do even 10k splits - almost everyone sets off too quickly and slows down.

The few negative split races I've done have provided unexpectedly good finish times.
  • I seem to be the queen of the negative splits.- The only race ( of 5) I've run which I didn't negative was a marathon where I fell apart and ended up struggling to finish.

Makes me think I generally don't go out hard enough...
  • Don't think that lp.

You are doing the right thing.

I love it when all the first mile heroes charge past me - gives me people to pick off in the race.

Your aerobic system does not get up and running for 4 mins anyway so you don't want to be accumulating lactic acid then.

They don't hand out prizes at half way!