Options

Routes on Cader Idris

I've been talked into taking a group of 15 year olds fell running as part of their annual camp at Cader Idris. Now I don't know Cader that well and I'm wondering if anyone knows any decent routes that would suit novices and give them a taste of the sport without completely killing them off.

Transport will be available, so where the routes begin and end isn't that critical.

The camp is in early July by the way.

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't take a group of 15 year olds to the top of Cader anytime of year. Buy a map and just take them on a 3 mile loop around the lake at the bottom etc.
  • Options
    Part of the exercise is supposed to be about safety, appropriate clothing and equipment, navigation etc,. All things that I'm known to harp on about at some length. So it certainly was not my intention to drag them all the way up the mountain.

To clarify - the kids involved are motivated as this is an addendum to their D of E stuff. More importantly they will be handpicked by me.

The lake sounds like a reasonable idea - thanks.
  • Options
    f. r. i agree with matt the b,cader is no place to take a group, but not far away near dolgellu is a path/walk called precipice walk,a circular walk /run around one contour level on a hill,with a loo and car park at the start / finish,and fantastic veiws down the estuary to barmouth(afon mawddach)every one ive taken on this walk cant wait to go again young and old.look it up its worth a visit.
  • Options
    Check up on the heights you're allowed to take the kids up to. Anything over about 400m (this is a guess, I could never remember the exact height) and you need a mountain leader's qualification.
  • Options
    Walked up Cader Idris with school years ago. Was lovely, but no idea of routes.
    I remember taking a huge lump of quartz as a souvenir and carrying it all the way down - as my cut hands attested to.

How bad was that ? I'm sorry CI.
  • Options
    Matt

Yes it is 400m, and I had no intention of exceeding that.

Slainte

Thanks, that might be what I'm looking for. I'm going down there for a recce with the other leaders at Easter so I'll check it out.
  • Options
    fell running,its about a 3.5mile round route,hope you like it.let us know what you think.
  • Options
    Been up Cader a few times. agree with all others, upto the lake is ok, but when it starts rising again, around the rest of the crater that wasn't blown out, is too dangerous, the clouds and fog come in frighteningly quickly.
    However if they can get wet, I'd have 'em making their way up the stream that empties from the lake, jumping from rock to rock. Done it myself a couple of times and it is wicked fun.
    Just not sure on liability issues as they could hurt themselves if they fell.
  • Options
    Prozac

There's public liability insurance, as they're going to be doing climbing, and gorge scrambling as well. However I will be asking to see written confirmastion of that before I do anything.

Thanks to everyone for their responses - its given me some insight into what the terrain's like. Its my intention to get in touch with the local mountain rescue to get some advice. I'd also appreciate it if anyone knows of any local FRA affiliated clubs who might also be prepared to offer words of wisdom.

As I said I'll be going down there at Easter to have a good recce of the area for a couple of days.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Have a look on the cader idris fell race website, might get some details from that. I think the address is www.cader-race.co.uk or .com. This was my first fell race and it scared the crap out of me, totally enjoyed it though and can't wait to do it again.
  • Options
    FR - was somewhat concerned when I saw the orginal post becuase of the risks but you're obviously well aware of what's involved, so I hope you and they enjoy themselves whatever you decide to do. It is unfortunate when concerns are expressed about taking 15 year olds into the hills in July - if all risks are assessed and addressed, there should be no reason why they can't be introduced to an exciting experience.

Local club is probably Tarren Hendre.

Hope it all goes well