Need advice on socks

Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
Despite several weeks of trying to run-in my orthotics using blister-plasters, moleskin stuff and other potential solutions, I am still getting really bad blisters under my arches. So this time it's the turn of the socks. What do you guys recommend as the best blister-prevention socks in your experience? I've tried Thousand Mile and M&S own high-impact sports socks (which were great until I got the orthotics).

Comments

• I used to get blistered arches running in Asics and none of the socks I tried made much difference...the only thing that worked for me was vaseline..I even managed to run FLM 2002 in the Asics using this method...it isn't as messy as you might think..
  • I'm running in Asics at the moment too. Did you change your shoes Ratbag? What did you get instead?
  • Shortly after taking up running I splashed out on three pairs of 1000 mile running socks which are double skinned and have a money back blister free guarantee.

Initially I used them for training and they were fine, but I then did my first ten mile race and by half distance had developed large blisters on both feet.

I wrote to the 1000 mile sock company explaining what had happened with their apparently blister-free socks and, after sending one pair back to them, they refunded me the cost of one pair of socks (only one refund per purchase).

I now use the other two pairs for training sessions only and have found some great, thin, single-skinned, ergonomically fitting socks by Nike which I use for racing, with blister free results. Also, have a pair of mono skin Hilly's which are very good but more expensive.

Coco-cat - it sounds like it's your othotics and not your socks that are causing you blister problems. Perhaps they fit too snugly into the arches of your feet. I've never used orthotics myself but a number of years back can remember when Nike used to supply arch inserts with their running shoes. I once tried running with the inserts in the shoes and suffered from bad blistering because they made the fit too tight and caused undue pressure in the arch area.
  • Gonzalez, I think you're right but this is a tricky one. The orthotics are really good - I'm running much more easily with them, but they are certainly quite built up under the arches and that is what seems to be causing the blistering. I really don't want to ditch the orthotics because I am a severe overpronator and will probably get injured again without them, but I am getting very miserable with the blisters. Changing the socks is just another thing on the long list of 'how to combat the blisters'. Changing shoes and using vaseline are also on there.

Any advice gratefully (and rather desperately) received!!
  • Asics may not be the best for you coco-cat.

What model have you got?
    Do you have to wear stability shoes??

As I am currently finding out everyone is completely different when it comes to shoe regardless of whether you wear orthotics.

I wear orthotics in the Puma Peerless(stability shoe) and find them comfy.
    Bought a new pair of Asiscs and started getting pain!

So your trainers could be playing a big part!

Go to a good running shop and try as many pairs as you can!
    If you try them out on a treadmill they will probably let you take them back if they are not right.

• I've got Asics Cumulus, Hippy Chick. I was advised that I need neutral shoes for my orthotics, but it may be that they are a major cause of the problem. I had bad blisters in Asics 2060s a few years ago, after they changed their design from the 2050s (which were the best shoes I've ever had).

I have also got some Mizuno Wave Riders which haven't done their 500 miles yet, so I might try the orthotics with them first.
  • The fact you get blisters shows that your orthotics are doing what they are supposed to.
    Dont ditch them, you will find a way to stop the blisters.

Did you take the insole thats already in the trainer out before putting your orthotics in????
  • Yes....not such a silly question though, as I nearly put them in on top the first time!
  • Use the Wave they are Stabilty shoes arent they.

Your feet are used to stability trainers and therefore switching to neutral is probably not the best idea.

Thats what I tried by getting the asic gel nimbus and I have my injury back now!

My podiatrist said the 2080's are good. If you find something thats good dont change!
  • Ah! That might go some way to explaining why I'm having the problems. I think you're right - the Waves are stability shoes.

I loved my Asics 2050s and was heartbroken when they changed to 2060s because they gave me really bad blisters under the arches, the same problem I've got now. Back to the Waves then!
  • So do I...I'm supposed to be doing 8-9 miles on Sunday and I can't bear the thought of that long in agony!!

Thanks for all the help.
  • Did you try compeed blister plasters as a temporary help?
    They really create a cushion over the blister.

• Got them on at the moment - they are like little miracles and do help loads. They're not great to run in though as they tend to work loose I find.
  • How about white spirits to toughen the skin up!
    Probably not best on an open wound though!!!
  • That just brought tears to my eyes!

I've found in the past that softening the skin through intensive moisturising at night is better, but I think it's a debatable point.
  • Just looked at your profile!
    A fellow Essex bird!! Thats what I like to see!

• Whereabouts are you then?
  • I'm from Kent originally, but I had to move to the 'dark side' for work reasons.

(actually we like it....we're in the middle of Epping Forest)
  • OOOH havent the trees there got some poisonous disease at the moment!!

I have some friends in Folkestone.
  • Have they? I didn't know about that. Are they all going to die then?

I'm from West Kent....Sevenoaks born and bred.
  • They are worried about the really old trees not being able to survive it.
  • Check out the Comments on the Asic 2090. They sound good!
  • I've read the online review and it does sound good. I've really struggled to find a shoe that I like as much as the 2050. I have really narrow feet and find that even the ladies versions of most shoes are too roomy width-ways. The Mizuno Wave Riders are better for that than the Asics Cumulus but if I carry on getting the blisters with the Waves I might try the 2090s out.
  • Doesnt the orthotic help take up some room?
  • Yes, quite a bit which initially made me think the Cumulus would be great, but def not as narrow as the Waves.

Do you go to a running club in Chelmsford?
  • coco - I always put something on top of my orthotics. My pod cut out some neoprene insoles for me but I take the insoles that I have in my saucony and place them on top of the orthotic as its flat and thin. I also use the isole from a pair of wave creation (again thin) when wearing my Saucony Approach (as the insole on them is molded).

a friend of mine doesn't bother and did have bad blisters for a while but then his feet got used to them. As for socks I find thincker socks are better (decathlon do a great pair). 1000 mile type socks don't work with me...and I got very big blisters with them.

Best of luck.
    TC
  • Thanks TC. Sounds worth a try, but doesn't it crowd the shoe a bit?
  • Yeah! I have 8mm heel raise on my left orthotic and I struggle getting that all in the trainer!

No dont belong to a running club. The gym I go to has just started one up though so I will be taking part in that soon!