Options

Blisters

<Posted this in injury forum but got no responses, can anyone help?>

Ive scanned the threads for info and advice re a blister I have but cant find anything though im sure there are many threads about it. Can someone post a link to any relevant threads or give me some advice.

I have a blister (just in front of the ball of my big toe). As its on the lower part of my foot its very painful when running. I have a 18 mile training run on Sunday and really cannot afford not to do the run as ive missed to many long ones already.

1) How can I protect my blister / take precautions to stop it inflaming, strapping, plaster etc?

2) Ive heard about 1000 mile socks in another thread, are these or other socks worth an investment.

For info ive been a runner on and off for 5 years, have technical socks ‘Falke, Nike etc” and the right trainers (which ive also been alternating in case one pair was causing the blister). Ive had the blister for 10 days and as I have been running on/off its sort of below the surface of the skin i.e. not like a burn type blister.

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Get compeed plasters to cover it. They are the best !
  • Options
    I use double layer Wright socks to prevent blisters. I also cover my feet in vaseline and put socks on before going to bed the night before a long run. Morning of run, I put Bodyglide all over my toes, to prevent blisters. I haven't had a blister since I started doing this...method seems to be working.

Can't tell you what to do if you already have a blister, and need to do a long run....since I've never had to do that. Cougie seems to know though. I have heard that the plasters work very well.
  • Options
    compedes work well if you have a blister that has burst or torn, if the blister is below the surface of the skin the plaster can sometimes cause the blister to spread, if at all possible you need to drain the blister as soon as possible if you are determind to run on it on sunday, let it dry out as much as possible then cover it with a compede,other than that there is nothing you can do but to grin and bear it, the pain will go after a while, as i can assure you after running many a multi day events with sore feet, stay clear of the 1000 mile socks, more like the 1000 blister socks!!
    now that you know you have a problem in that area when ou eventually do get the blister sorted you will probably need some protection in that area every time you do a long run,
  • Options
    My wife had the very same last year. She ended up having time off work, but then any excuse for that will do!!. She had recently purchased Nike pegasus shoes on advice from a well known triathlon shop. This was after having blisters from her last trainers. She then returned the shoes to nike, and purchased some New balance and hasn't looked back since, and has never had another blister from them. She has also purchase some'x-socks' which having looked at them seem well padded in the right places. put a www infront and a .com after it and you'll have the web site, unfortunatley I dont do the link thing. Instead of alternating shoes, find a pair you like then stick with them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, ive pierced the blister but no fluid in it. Will keep it dry, bought some Compeed plasters. Hope all goes well tomorrow, guess ill have to grim out the pain or call it a day if it gaets to bad.

Ive been running on and off for 5 years never had a blister b4 and dont think it was trainer related? I was swapping trainers just in case (ive got 3 pairs I alternate anyway).