What time should I aim for?

Can anyone advise on what time to aim for?
I have done a 40min 10k, 1.31 half & did 3hr 50 marathon earlier this year. I want to do London again (if I get in!) but am unsure what timne to aim for. I would pleased with beating last years time but dont know what to go for>
Any ideas and comments?

Comments

• Apparently if you multiply your 10KM time by 4.7 and then divide this figure by 26.2 it will give you the minutes per mile that you should be able to run for a marathon which will then give you a time to aim for.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    With times for 10k of 40min and 1.31 for 1/2m you should really be able, with the right marathon training, to achieve a marathon time of approx 3.15-3.20 and certainly sub 3.30!
  • I read in the RW magazine a while back that a rough guide is to double your half- marathon time and add half an hour.
  • FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Its given me some idea, I better start training!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Ive a 10k pb of 42.03 (hopefully sub 41 by next spring) and an unofficial (ie training) halfM of around 1.33.
    I'm aiming for 3.20 , 3.15 if I'm lucky.

I did 3.31 off a 45m 10k and 1.37 halfM this year so you should be looking for sub 3.15....

Good luck Foggo
  • I have a 1.32 1/2M time, 41.30 for 10km and managed 3.33 at Blackpool marathon in June,
    so put down for the 3.20-30 bracket and you should be OK.
  • "Am I going to have a heart attack.
    I feel great getting faster.
    But I do get tingling in my left arm and ble fingers.

Am I going to die ?"

Sound Familiar ?
  • Geezer, life has moved on and you apperently haven't. People on these forums don't need your sarcastic comments any more. GROW UP. Hopefully you won't make FLM 2003
  • Foggo,
    typically I find doubling half-marathon time and then adding 10-15 minutes proves to be accurate.
  • FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all your messages & tips. I see the sarcasm is back again this year! But hey that's what forums are about. Isnt it?
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Foggo, I was pulling in similar times around this time last year for half-marathons though I hadn't done a full one until FLM 2002. Having joined a running club and consistently doing their weekly hill & track sessions + a w/e long run, I managed to pull off a sub-3:15 in the end. This would fit in with the 2xhalf+15mins estimate. I was lucky with no injuries and a good race plan but it can be done!
  • I've trained fairly consistently for marathon and half marathon all year and have run three marathons and two halfs. My best effort over the half was 1:27 and my best over the full was 3:09. This seems to bear out the above method estimating almost exactly (ie 1/2 X 2 + 15). Mind you I'll be hoping to lower the 3:09 in Dublin next Monday :-)
  • FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Thanks & good luck on Monday Mike
  • Mick,
    that's an amazing coincidence, as I ran a 1:27 half in November 2000 prior to a 3:09 marathon the following February!!!!!!!!!
  • am i a weirdo....i do 10k in 48 mins or so....a half marathon in 1.50 or so.....and last marathon i did 3.30 which was divided into 1.50 for 1st half and then 1.40 for second half (which i thoroughly enjoyed.....had a nice time singing along to my music)
    i only seem to get any kind of speed when i've been out for at least 10 miles and on my 4 mile runs i'm positively awful ....
    a
  • HI MM and Fluffa, fancy meeting you too together. How's the code going. Entered my first FLM, though don't expect to get in.
  • I'm sorry Fluffa, but yes, you are a weirdo :-)
  • Fluffa,
    you might be a 'natural' ultrarunner (eventhough I think this type of running is distinctly unnatural!!). Must admit I would've guessed that your marathon time would be about 3:50-3:55 going on your half marathon time. And no you're not weird, all normal people spend their time listening to Aphex Twin and bitshifting ;-)

BK,
    speaking of coding, must admit I'm beginning to share Mike S's sentiments regarding Microsoft. I'm just getting up to speed with ASP.NET and am beginning to think it might be time to jump ship i.e. Java and JSP are starting to look seriously appealing ;-)
  • I'll get my 10K time down to 40 minutes or so fairly soon, fingers crossed. With the appropriate training, I'm hoping that a sub-3:15 marathon should therefore be possible without killing myself in the process - although NOT in my first marathon (probably FLM) in which I have the rather more realistic "first marathon" aim of 4 hours!

Realistically I'll probably have to wait almost a year before I can see any sub-3:15 marathon result (a marathon every month or two is highly inadvisable!!) and that's even assuming the marathon distance suits me.
  • ok...i'm weird...but getting better as i've stopped bitshifting ;)
    am off for another 4 mile wonder in a bit (possibly even a shifted one....no that's bad!!)
    still to finish my bagels and coffee and to choose my music....rem maybe....
    will be nice to get some more miles in when foot starts behaving,,,, can only live in hope ;)
  • (2.2 * HM_time) pretty accurately predicted my marathon time.

It would have been better, but I kicked for home at 20 miles and limped for home from 23 miles. Lesson: pacing is everything.
  • MM, putting off the evil moment with ASP.NET

Fluffa, you've never pretended to be anything other than weird have you

Psi, will be looking at 4 hours as well if I get in
  • ASP.NET BK? I never realised you were a Microsoft weenie. J2EE, now that's a technology for real men...

To get back to the topic, I looked up my predicted marathon time based on my latest 10 mile time. I can honestly say it scared the **** out of me. Not a chance I'll do that time for a marathon anytime soon.

venom
  • No most of us get slower the further we go, unlike our mad friend Fluffa. I'm not a Microsoft fan but my company is.
  • i might be mad, but at least i'm a friend hey?
    actually i might just change my pic to one of me at 25 miles in manchester.....i do look rather determined ;) yes will have to do that.....my man took a few pics of the race, and managed to capture my contorted facial expressions at every possible opportunity....(and cellulite dammit....i've never seen it before but i have the photographic evidence....i'm sure it's not there when i stand still!)
    i have had another thought as to my strange marathon performance ...laziness...maybe i start too slowly as i'm just pure damn lazy....on the other hand, i am rather intrigued by the thought of having ultra running potential...the only real problem i can see with ultras is the sheer quantity of music i'd have to take with me....maybe some of that psychedelic trance stuff ;) or ambient...just chill away the time....yeh right ;)
  • Fluffa, are we related at all?! My PB for the half is 1hr 50, PB for the Marathon 3hrs 41.

Going for sub 3.30 in London next year.

• quite possibly !
    i've never raced a half marathon but i doubt i'd get it down much past the 1st half split for the marathon....
    can't wait for london.....i'm after 3.20....figure if i can do the 2nd half of a marathon in 1.40 and not be tired at the end then i can do both halves at 1.40 and be very tired at the end....although 3.20 is a bad time to aim for...i mean it's too close to 3.15 to not just get on with it and go for 3.15, but 5 minutes is a bloody long time really....
    maybe we can have a sing song as we sprint across the finish in london ;)
    and hey, good luck with it, if i don't speak to you 'til then!
    xxxa
  • my half split at London this year was 1.47, but I'm not sure how that happened! Of course this meant that the second half was very slow...

3.20 is a good time to aim for - you could see how you get on in the first half and speed up a bit if you feel ok, see if you can break 3.15!

we should definitely have a sing song, maybe from about mile 24 to keep our spirits up?!!

minnie x
  • I did a session of the very-reliable Yasso 800s today that predicted my marathon finish time, at my current level of fitness (i already have the endurance base thanks to work) as about 3 hours!!

Clearly, however, for my first ever actual marathon I will NOT be trying to be some "PB hero" and am still going to stick to the more conservative (and fun?) 4 hour target. Specially as it's London - unless you're an elite athlete, big races like London are an experience to be savoured, not a dull race to set PBs in! (just my opinion :) )