Marathon in 11 weeks!!

Hi 

I am meant to be running a marathon in 11 weeks The Steyning Stinger. I have had so much going on I have barely trained but have been running regular for years. I am a fitness instructor, and teach 9 spin classes 3 body conditioning classes and 5 yoga classes a week. If I start training properly now is it too late? And will my classes act as cross trainin? I do a lot with them! Thanks

Comments

• A spin class is bugger all like running 26 miles - trust me ! image

When you run - what is the length you do ?

You need to work up to at least 20 miles I reckon to do a half decent attempt. So you need to work back from there. You also need to taper down - so you have about 9 weeks to work up from your longest run being X miles to 20 miles.

26 miles is a loooooong way if you've not trained well.

Good luck !
  • Hi

Thank you. On average I have been doing 15-20 miles a week for about four years. The last 5/6 months however have been hell, so my training had gone to pants! I just don't want to get injured because of my work! I don't care about a finish time etc... I have done like tons of halls but only one other full, years ago....
  • Ok - that's not as bad as I feared then.

Ok so if you had the longest run in week 1 as 4 miles and add 2 miles to that per week - you'd get to 20.

Then carry on with another 3 runs or so a week - one shorter and faster, one 4 miler and one medium length run that bridges the gap between the long run and the rest of the runs each week.

Something like that anyway = and run them easy. Your cardio system will be in tip top shape - but your running muscles will be lagging behind.
  • I would say you wont have a taper and reading that description it wont be a pleasant experience assuming its this one. "This undulating/hilly race takes place on the South Downs between Worthing and Shoreham-by-Sea. The route covers countryside and roads, including four hills (or 'stings') up towards the top of the Downs."

However I think you would have enough time to get some training done to get round it. If it is that one you would need to have some hilly routes in your plan.  if it was me i would maybe drop some if not all the cross training to get the miles under my belt as you wont be cycling it you will be running it! 

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well........ you're a Fitness Instructor, the thought "practice what you teach" comes to mind,

You've just got to bite the bullet, do the run and accept whatever time you get, just make sure you finish!!
  • I think you'll be fine with all that core fitness! As long as you do what Cougie says and want it badly enough!! Good luck. And enjoy!!