Fenix 3 - beta testing

Those with a fenix 3, have you tried downloading the beta software, I've been playing with it and it's fun, with interesting updates.

Comments

• I haven't ! Is it better than what it does currently ? (I cant really fault it as is)
  • Quite a few thing in the latest 6.27 including lactate threshold, some new / changed widgets... If you don't mind playing a bit then give it a go. Also need to update the hrm to get the latest a updates for that to show how much you are running to your left /right

Take a peek here, and look at all the 6.xx changes.

Can always go back to 5.1 image but will it will reset all the settings to factory defaults if you go back.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=9505
  • ooh ta - might have a look in the holidays !
  • Downloading and installing "fully tested" Garmin updates is usually enough to bring me out in a cold sweat, as it's always Russian Roulette as to whether it's going to bugger up my watch and force me into the subsequent exchange of emails with Garmin, during which they'll just end up giving me the stock "perform a master reset and everything will be fine....apart from you losing all your data/settings on your watch...".

I think installing a beta version of Garmin software would just be too much and would send me over the edge - so for that reason, ahm oot!

• I've been updating my Fenix 3 with the latest beta software, and it's worked perfectly. Quite frankly I'm amazed Garmin introduced all of the functionality of the 630 to the Fenix 3, but pleased they have.

• Dammit,. Forgot to do this over Xmas. Just noticed that my Fenix hasn't uploaded the last two days activities.

I've rebooted phone and watch. Jiggled Bluetooth on and off, turned round three times and held my breath and it's still not synching.

Never done this before.

Any ideas ?
  • is it connecting to wifi or are you doing it via cable or bluetooth.

I saw some issues over xmas with people saying the connect software on phones isn't working after an update so if bluetooth try via cable or wifi.

Plugging a cable into it and doing it via the pc/mac is the last resort.  Once or twice had to do that and delete the wifi network and connect to wifi again.

• Oh I'm doing it over bluetooth, Ta for the tips !
  • No, silly, it's four times you twirl round, not three.

You also forgot to say the magic sentence as you throw it against the wall (clue: it rhymes with "cupid clucking barmin")

It'll probably work fine once you've done that.

You're welcome image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to butt in, but :

I started a new thread because my new (to me via a friend) 620 is not uploading via wifi. It picks up the network fine, the watch confirms it has received the setting from garmin express then nothing happens except the watch saying it can not find a known network.... I played with all of my setting on the router and set it to the garmin recommended set up but still nowt.

What gives? Is it the garmin website/server that is down ?
  • Humm...

first time I set up my 620 when I had one wifi didn't work, turns out it was very simple I did a typo in the wifi password, it does 't seem to authenticate / test the password when you set it up.

worth retrying it?

• It's fairly common to need to remove the Wifi configuraction completely and redo it after an upgrade of the F3. The newest beta firmware seems to have added even more BT bugs, so you may have a less frustrating time using the cable, if you are one of the unlucky ones.

As is traditional with Garmin, they probably broke more things than they fixed, so don't  be too shy to hard reset the thing, either.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Booktrunk, but I'm fairly certain that the password issue isn't it.

I tried turning the password setting to off and doing a complete non prompted non vol clear on the watch and starting again and still had no luck.

The Bluetooth is such an easy set up. i just don't get why they have the wifi restricted to a particular and peculiar olde worlde set up that causes so much hassle. I guess an email to garmin is the next step.
  • Jeez Pudge - you're bang on the money !

45 mins I've been redoing blipping Garmin....
  • cougie,

Sort of see above, that was more or less aimed at the likes of you before the 620 tangent got posted at the same time. If you are using GCM, try the desktop app- with a cable. The most recent beta firmware seems to have brought (back) a bunch of Bluetooth issues.

(..but hey, that is why people love Garmin, right, more features than anyone else, and most of them work some of the time! It's an adventureimage )

• It worked at last ! I think it was a corrupt activity stopping it synching.

Does anyone delete activities off their devices ? I've loads of space left but all that weight must be slowing me down...