Nike+ App Training Help

Hi all A bit of background. Never really ran until this summer. Downloaded the Nike+ Running App, bought myself a HR monitor, learnt about Karvonen and off I went with the Beginner 5k plan The aim is to work through all 12 plans on the Nike app from Beginner 5k to Full Marathon Advanced which is about a 3 year plan in total... Long goal I know but stick with me

I have completed plan 1 of 12 beginner 5k. All runs in that are described as easy comfortable so I have tried successfully to run them at 70-80% on my MHR using Karvonen which gives me a zone of 152-165 so I try to keep it around 159 I completed my first 5k race at end of the plan in 27:46 which I was pleased with considering I kept that to the 152-165 zone as it was described as an easy comfortable race

Now I have moved to the intermediate 5k plan which has raised a few questions...

Fartlek training is introduced. My understanding of this is that it should work aerobic and anaerobic zones. Where it says run 4 minutes at a faster pace and 1 minute at a slower pace would you say that's 4 minutes at your 80-90% HR and 1 minute at the 70-80%?

It also has 3m runs where it says run 2miles at an easy comfortable pace so for me 70-80% and then 1 mile at a faster pace... Again would you do this faster section at 80-90%?

Finally it has a couple of runs in there where for 0.5 miles it says "run your strides" is there where you accelerate and decelerate through a 100m stretch? Thanks in advance

Comments

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    The paces are personal to you.

Easy conversational pace is just that.

Faster means somewhere where you are disinclined to talk but not eyeballs -out.

Strides are 50-100m births where you run with a similar kovment to sprinting but not quite all-out.
  • I've only just joined so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place or with poor etiquette, but does anyone else find with this app that their pace is significantly slower if they switch on location? I don't know which to believe as my pace :/