Options

Pedometers

What is the general opinion on pedometers? Are they OK for running too? I know HRMs are the norm but at the mo I'm more interested in distance and calories burned than how fast I should run ( I have no option there!)

Comments

• Options
    I've had a couple and find them quite fun - but not neccessarily accurate for mileage and the whole calories burnt thing is a bit innacurate because theyre not sophisticated enough to work out your own personal calorie burn

the British Heart Foundation has a project called walking for health and recommends 10,000 steps a day and most pedometres count steps so it would be a good target !

HRM's tell you how hard your working and that may be more important if you want to burn more calories
  • Options
    mine underestimates, but it helps to see how far ive gone for motivation
  • Options
    I've got a pedometer, which is pretty good most times and was almost close to the mark in the last two half marathons I did (registering 13.4 miles and 13.07 miles).
    Have to be careful about making sure it is parallel to the ground (and not slanted by resting on my hip). Also, gets annoying when the battery starts to run out because there is no advanced warning. Just slowly your distances (and time running!) are less and less. Though you must remember it measures only the time spent moving, so if you go on a route where you have to stop for traffic often, real time and pedometer time might differ by a few minutes.
  • Options
    the hardest part about using a pedomoter is setting the step distance....

the pace when feeling fit at the beginning is so different to the pace at the end of a long run unless you are really fit.....us beginners tend to step shorter when we get tired
    when next on your run find a spot 100 meteres long about in the middle and count how many steps it takes to cover the distance beingcareful not to speed up.
    then divide 100 by number of steps to get your average step distance
    eg

100m divided by 120 pace = 0.833meteres per step

this way it will provide a reasonable measure........
  • Options
    I could never get mine to be accurate - I now use trail gauge on my PC to measure from down loaded OS maps.
  • Options
    is it good EP?
    i've been experimenting with MS Autoroute but it doesn't show the golf course
  • Options
    There was a thread last week relating to a new piece of mapping software. You can download it for a free 30 day trial, then it's just a tenner if you keep it. I've found it to be very user friendly. Go to:
    www.littleredfrog.com/mapper
  • Options
    Just a quick note to say that Accuroute is at www.accuroute.co.uk.

Paul
  • Options
    I used to live and die by what it said on my pedometer, and got a little obsessed, then a lot of injuries. Now I hate the little buggers. Run as much or as little as you can, as often or infrequently as you can, as fast or as slowly as you can and the rest will sort itself out. I did a calculation in my head today (what else is there to do on a long run?) and figured that I might run another 25,000 miles in the remainder pf my life time if I don't push myself too hard, injure myself or get burned out. So, what's the point of measuring individual pace-lengths on a pedometer? Think forest, not trees.
  • Options
    scary thought, wonder how many miles ive got left
    Some cardiologists think we have a predefined number of heartbeats
    Must keep calm
  • Options
    But your heartrate slows when your are fitter, so get running!
  • Options
    damn, knew i wouldnt get out of it
  • Options
    going to run my first 10k next week and although i cycle(race) at national leval i'm not sure what sort of warm up to do befor the race
  • Options
    i'm gratefull for the advise, my only target is to get round the course. What about a cool down routine for after the race ? joking
  • Options
    Pixie, youre a real runner
  • Options
    well Im off to the pub after brighton, one needs a reward for all the hard work
    Might even make us run faster
  • Options
    I can't believe all this helpfull advise on my first race and you all give it for free. could be more to this running than i thought.
  • Options
    Colin,
    I think all the usual advice applies to your first race. Set off at a pace that feels comfortable and stick with it until half way. If you feel good, up the pace.
    You should know what feels comfy from your training. 5k and 10k races are the only distances that I warm-up for. For a 10k, a gentle 5-10 min jog should be OK.
    Above all though, enough it.
  • Options
    Enough it!!!!

For heavens sake man. Enjoy it.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please can we have the editting facility back?
  • Options
    one last question from you helpfull lot (i think evil pixie might have somthing to say here) Do i still have to shave my legs like i do when i race me bike? over to you.