Anyone running and of the Centurion Running 50's 2016?

Comments

• 8.45 for me.  Was very optimistically aiming for sub 8 but by half way I knew that was never going to happen.  Still a PB over the distance by 2&3/4 hours.

Another well organised event from centurion and I'll be back next year to have another go.

London in 2 weeks then the NDW50 where I'll have another crack at getting down towards 8hrs

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Jamie, we seem to have the same schedule. We may have seen each other en route yesterday as I was also aiming for that elusive sub 8.
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Lee I came in about 10 min after you image

It was a great day , lovely views , particularly after 5pm with the evening sun over the sea !

The hills were long indeed & mud def slowed me as my shoes were rubbish in it lol!

The trig point seemed to arrive really quickly after leaving jevington which was great .. Got there in daylight which was my main aim all day ! Descent to the road was dodgy in that mud then the last 2 miles seemed like forever but a fab finish ! Glad you guys made it too image
  • Millsy, yes we do seem to have the same schedule, I'm also doing the Kent Roadrunner marathon two weeks after NDW 50, not sure what condition my legs will be in.

Anyone been out for a run yet?  My legs feel ready but I'm on baby sitting duties tonight so will go out tomorrow for a run of some sort.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've just been walking the dog the last 3 days. Will try and get out for a very easy 5 miles later.
  • 3.11.48 at London yesterday.  Legs started complaining about half way and I just got slower.  Was aiming for sub 3 but by half way I knew that wasn't happening.  No surprise I suppose with only 2 weeks recovery after SDW50.

3 weeks to recover before NDW50

• loulabell, we must have yo-yo'd past each other a few times! I'm not sure how you felt, but it was great to just about beat the sunset. And yes, that descent was pretty dodgy - nearly lost it half way down!

NDW next! image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm not joining you guys until CW which will be my first Centurionrunning 50.  I've done a NDW100 and a DNF at mile 72 of a TP100.

Not sure what time to aim for but should be in 10-11 hour bracket.  My PB is 8:56 but that course only had 3 miles of offroad! (Dingle 50.)  It also had mile markers - unusual - including, disconcertingly, a 50-mile marker and the finish nowhere in sight!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Lee , yes I think the last 20 odd miles really were leap frogging same people image

Was def dodgy down that last bit & was glad to still be in daylight for that ..

How you feeling about ndw ? Have you done it before ?
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Yes I was so pleased to get to the trig point in blue sky & sun .. I just lost the daylight as I got to the streets but by that time it was done n dusted & no hesdtircg needed image
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Headtorch that should read!!
  • Lee RoiLee Roi ✭✭

It's coming up to that time again! Anyone else feel like the SDW 50 was yesterday?

I see early indications are the weather looks cloudy, but no rain on the day, so lets hope this stays the case. I see the train station is closed this year, so hoping parking won't be too much of an issue.

How's everyone feeling? I've seen some interesting pictures of the trail turning to almost 'beach-like' sand at one point - anyone now how long this goes on for?

and loulabell, remember not to forget your 'hesdtircg'!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My legs are still feeling it after the SDW50 and London Marathon. Think I may take things a little easier on Saturday. Looks like the mandatory kit list is smaller so not as much gear to try and pack.
  • My legs feel ok after SDW50 and VLM, although since London I've only be doing single digit runs up to a maximum of 8 miles so there is no telling what they'll be like after 20-30 miles. 

I'm just going to go for it and see what happens, I'll be aiming (as always) to finish around 8 hours but I suspect I can add at least an hour on to that if not more.

The weather looks good, cloudy and cool-ish so conditions should be ideal.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Lee Roi , I have my hesdtircg packed ! ????????
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    My legs have recovered just from Sdw , recent runs have felt sluggish & work stress hasn't helped ! Aiming to just have a nice day on the trail & finish comfortably as I have done previous years image

Weather looking ok guys so hopefully not needing jackets on / off / on/ off as at Sdw !
  • Lee RoiLee Roi ✭✭
    How'd everyone get on? 11:18 for me, which I was happy with - I hugely underestimated the 2nd half hills - they were a beast!

Finishing behind the finish line and running around the field was a killer too, still a cracking day. Hope all went as planned for the rest of you?

PS anyone see the storm trooper handing out bacon sandwiches at the barge???
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yes, I got my bacon sarnie!

Definitely a course of 2 halves. I had a very speedy first half (3:37) and a much slower second half. Finishing in 8.38 I held 25th place from half way to the finish.

Those hills were horrible in the heat and I suffered from cramp for the first time in a couple of years. The section from the last aid station to the finish also seemed to go on forever. Another fantastic Centurion event and I was very happy to get my name on the leaderboard in the hall.
  • Lee RoiLee Roi ✭✭

I agree, the last aid station was about 7 miles away from the finish but it did seem forever. Congrats on the finishing time, for holding that 25th place and for getting your name on board!

• DNF for me.  Dropped at Reigate hill, I managed to make a slight detour so ran about 33.5 miles.  My legs were knackered and I was barely able to run/shuffle more than a few hundred metres at a time before walking.  I couldn't face another 19 miles which probably would have been around 4 hours of that so I dropped.  

Bit gutted as I went through 24 miles in 27th position but by the time I got to Reigate I'd been passed by about 60 people which shows the level of my suffering.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Hey guys ! Glad to see we all made it back here !

Jamie , sorry to hear you dropped image it's a tough old trail & sounds like you were in great position at that point too. As said though people do under estimate how hard the second half is . I don't have the speed to hang on to anything fast for that long so I'm always happy to take the back . I got to Boxhill by 4:35 which was what I wanted as I knew I'd get slower after Reigate . I was through 43 miles in 9:40ish but those last few miles are long & slow - but no cows this year in the way so that was cool! image

I finished just behind you Lee in 11:35 , was a fab day though & I love that trail
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    I was happy with my time as I know what a killer it is & my aim is just to get through all these 50s for the slam image

Halfway there guys !
  • Lee RoiLee Roi ✭✭

Sorry to hear about the DNF Jamie - sounds like you were smashing it up until Reigate then.

Loulabell, gratz on the finish too - I agree that from the checkpoint at mile 43 it felt like an age - another 15-20 miles! I enjoyed the nice bit of trail immediately after it, but then realised it wouldn't last. It struck me how much more scenic the whole route was compared to the SDW 50.

Anyway, all aboard for the Chiltern Wonderland, 2 down, 2 to go! image I'll be heading down there for a recce or two between now and then - i'll let you guys/girls know the dates, would be good to get the thread together. At the least i'll get back and let you know about any significant bits on the course!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Yes I'll be getting to wendover too to recce
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Lee , have you managed to recce any of CW yet ??
  • No, unfortunately picked up a niggle so have been out of action for a bit. Disappointed to have lost fitness (and gained a few pounds image) but pleased to have recovered and be back out already. Will be doing recce of CW in chunks during August in the lead up. Should be able to recce it all in a few visits. How about you? Any recce yet?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

So - Chiltern Wonderland just around the corner now.  Email with race info received today.

Quite a devious course but apparently it is going to be waymarked.  Doesn't look as if there are going to be any issues with it.

Looking forward to it. I will be coming by train which doesn't arrive until 0835 so I will need to be organised and race-ready before I get off.

This one anyone's first 50?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Anyone else still up for this one?

• I'm still in for this one, looking forward to it.

Going to be very undertrained though, last 20 mile run was back at the beginning of July and only a handful of double digit runs since then, the rest being 5-9 mile runs.  Motivation for the longer training runs has taken a bit of a dip recently.

I'll just take it steady and see how it goes.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I did a 64 early in August but apart from that I have not been training very well at all.

The CW doesn't look too difficult a course, although I haven't really looked at the contours properly yet.  A lot of the route is on small public footpaths which are likely to be overgrown and muddy if wet.  Also quite a chunk of road.